Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221443 times)

Boog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 190
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10320 on: July 26, 2021, 07:30:50 AM »
Expand Quote
alright going to grab my first set of Thunders. i’ve skated Indys most of my life but past 2-3 years been riding 5.8 titanium ventures.  out of the diff thunder models where should i start?  going to get 149s, but do you think standard, hollow lite, titanium?  any input is appreciated
[close]

Id say grab any thunders with cast plates, especially if youre coming from a higher truck like indy.

On another note...looks like Yuto on some V lows with hards and 51mms? I might try that combo tomorrow

This is my setup except on Hi's. It's the truth.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10321 on: July 27, 2021, 04:58:15 PM »
Just set up a new pair of 144 hollows, silver. They come with the standard orange bushings.

My previous pair of 144 were also hollows but had blue baseplates and white bushings.

Any idea if the white and orange bushings are the same?

With my new trucks I’ve had to tighten em down a bit to get em where I like em ( I’m a bigger guy 215 lbs so need to tighten em up) but I’ve noticed the bushings starting to crack a bit. The trucks also seem to stick to one side a bit. Mind you one session in.

As per some google image. Apparently white bushing are softer than the orange ones.

Might swap out the orange for the white bushing if it doesn’t get better next session or so.

I see my hanger also feels a little
Loose on one truck. Almost like the pivot cup gave in already.

Thanks for insight.

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #10322 on: July 28, 2021, 08:12:16 AM »
Im curious about how you guys set your trucks up, special methods, preferences and all that nerdy stuff.

Here's mine:
Thunder 147's riding 8.1-825 and 54 wheels
-replacement 100a Thunder bushings
-Bottom washers left out
-Front truck Flush( edit:perhaps the smallest tad under now) with some wobble
-Back truck 1-2 threads showing edit: correction, back truck is now barely over flush, loosened it when It got colder
-risers

Seriously can't complain about this set-up in anyway, for me its perfect, loose up front for quick turns and tighter in back stabilises on landings and at high speeds. The hard bushing and loose front works really well for me, best of both worlds.

doesnt the looser truck up front make skating switch less stable when landing? i use to set my trucks up like that but made skating switch way less stable at the skate park.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #10323 on: July 28, 2021, 09:18:59 AM »
Went 169 Titanium after years on regular 169s and love them. Couldn't believe how much of a difference it makes for essentially every popped trick. But even casual Shove-Its feel so much better. New old problem however are the fucking bushings. Big guy with big feet—no way I can use soft or medium bushings.

Recently tried the black Indy conical bushings which didn't rebound at all. My best bet for years have been Bones hard, however the clicking and creaking with the hard plastic insert drives me crazy. I can even feel the plastic bouncing off the kingpin under my feet. Are there any other options I could try without messing with the geometry of the truck?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10324 on: July 28, 2021, 09:24:26 AM »
Went 169 Titanium after years on regular 169s and love them. Couldn't believe how much of a difference it makes for essentially every popped trick. But even casual Shove-Its feel so much better. New old problem however are the fucking bushings. Big guy with big feet—no way I can use soft or medium bushings.

Recently tried the black Indy conical bushings which didn't rebound at all. My best bet for years have been Bones hard, however the clicking and creaking with the hard plastic insert drives me crazy. I can even feel the plastic bouncing off the kingpin under my feet. Are there any other options I could try without messing with the geometry of the truck?

Indy Blue 92 barrel bushings. The best Indy bushing if you're a little bigger.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #10325 on: July 28, 2021, 09:50:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks, will try! Didn't consider them since I thought they will be too soft, especially if the black ones don't work well in terms of rebound. Barrel=cylinder?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10326 on: July 28, 2021, 09:53:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks, will try! Didn't consider them since I thought they will be too soft, especially if the black ones don't work well in terms of rebound. Barrel=cylinder?

Yeah, from my understanding. I've found the barrels above 92 to be almost too hard.

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #10327 on: July 28, 2021, 01:13:33 PM »
Thank You Supply got more of the Tensor maglight ATGs in stock, so I bought a pair. Usually ride Venture lows, so the 55mm height of the ATGs was throwing me off

After some messing around with different baseplates, I happened upon a solution to my madness. A Kurx K4 baseplate works perfectly with a ATG hanger and the stock Tensor bushings, and dropped the trucks height to ~48mm. It rides like if Indy made a low truck, probably due to the shorter wheelbase. The most surprising finding was that out of my collection of 12 sets of baseplates the ATG Maglights were the heaviest. Perhaps only the mag light hangers are magnesium?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #10328 on: July 28, 2021, 01:16:29 PM »
Thank You Supply got more of the Tensor maglight ATGs in stock, so I bought a pair. Usually ride Venture lows, so the 55mm height of the ATGs was throwing me off

After some messing around with different baseplates, I happened upon a solution to my madness. A Kurx K4 baseplate works perfectly with a ATG hanger and the stock Tensor bushings, and dropped the trucks height to ~48mm. It rides like if Indy made a low truck, probably due to the shorter wheelbase. The most surprising finding was that out of my collection of 12 sets of baseplates the ATG Maglights were the heaviest. Perhaps only the mag light hangers are magnesium?

How does the turn feel? And whats the wheelbase extension of the k4 baseplate + atg hangers

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #10329 on: July 28, 2021, 01:40:49 PM »
That’s super interesting. I’ve put K4’s hangars in Indy baseplates which improved the turn a ton, but never tried the reverse for anything. Would be interesting to experiment as I have some K4’s baseplates with the low, inverted kingpin that I could play with using other hangars

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #10330 on: July 28, 2021, 02:12:52 PM »
Just set up a new pair of 144 hollows, silver. They come with the standard orange bushings.

My previous pair of 144 were also hollows but had blue baseplates and white bushings.

Any idea if the white and orange bushings are the same?

With my new trucks I’ve had to tighten em down a bit to get em where I like em ( I’m a bigger guy 215 lbs so need to tighten em up) but I’ve noticed the bushings starting to crack a bit. The trucks also seem to stick to one side a bit. Mind you one session in.

As per some google image. Apparently white bushing are softer than the orange ones.

Might swap out the orange for the white bushing if it doesn’t get better next session or so.

I see my hanger also feels a little
Loose on one truck. Almost like the pivot cup gave in already.

Thanks for insight.

White bushings are typically the soft bushings, *however* they do occasionally put out the white ones in the stock medium durometer with special edition trucks. I had some of the Skate Mafia Indys and they had white mediums, for example.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Pennybabie

• Rep: -18
« Reply #10331 on: July 28, 2021, 02:27:16 PM »
Expand Quote
alright going to grab my first set of Thunders. i’ve skated Indys most of my life but past 2-3 years been riding 5.8 titanium ventures.  out of the diff thunder models where should i start?  going to get 149s, but do you think standard, hollow lite, titanium?  any input is appreciated
[close]

Id say grab any thunders with cast plates, especially if youre coming from a higher truck like indy.

On another note...looks like Yuto on some V lows with hards and 51mms? I might try that combo tomorrow

Any one know the size of that deck?

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #10332 on: July 28, 2021, 03:44:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How does the turn feel? And whats the wheelbase extension of the k4 baseplate + atg hangers

The turn is not nearly as surfy as the ATGs, although it does make the board pop and flip like Indy’s. Probably due to its short wheelbase. Ghost pop would probably be an issue if you’re skating a mellow deck. The trucks are set up medium tight.  So wheelbite isn’t really an issue, although it does happen. I’m working a late one, so I’ll post a pic tomorrow

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10333 on: July 28, 2021, 07:36:10 PM »
Anyone else just skate Indy’s with Indy hangers, Indy plates, Indy bushings, and stock pivot cups? Shits the jam these days

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10334 on: July 28, 2021, 07:58:08 PM »
Anyone else just skate Indy’s with Indy hangers, Indy plates, Indy bushings, and stock pivot cups? Shits the jam these days

Yeah man, I've been riding some stock 144 Standards I bought in the classifieds here. It's hilarious reading the Ace thread and everyone talking about all the modifications they made to their AF1 to get them to work right.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #10335 on: July 29, 2021, 04:25:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah man, I've been riding some stock 144 Standards I bought in the classifieds here. It's hilarious reading the Ace thread and everyone talking about all the modifications they made to their AF1 to get them to work right.

when I had indy's I rode them stock same with aces. Some people just enjoy messing with their setups

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #10336 on: July 29, 2021, 04:48:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Any one know the size of that deck?

According to the website, that deck came in 8, 8.125, and 8.25 (but they are sold out).
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10337 on: July 29, 2021, 05:29:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

when I had indy's I rode them stock same with aces. Some people just enjoy messing with their setups

I'm not talking about futzing with your bushings, I mean people are replacing all the parts of the truck (bushings, pivot cup, washers) because with thr new AF1s, there seems to be something actually wrong with each of these things.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #10338 on: July 29, 2021, 09:07:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm not talking about futzing with your bushings, I mean people are replacing all the parts of the truck (bushings, pivot cup, washers) because with thr new AF1s, there seems to be something actually wrong with each of these things.

I see what you mean now. I was talking about AF1's in my case though. A lot of those guys definitely got unlucky but mine are untouched as far as modifications

Pennybabie

• Rep: -18
« Reply #10339 on: July 29, 2021, 10:08:18 AM »
According to the website, that deck came in 8, 8.125, and 8.25 (but they are sold out).

Bummer thanks!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10340 on: July 29, 2021, 12:45:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Venture thread is even better- apparently you have to replace the bushings and top washer so they can basically turn like and Indy

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #10341 on: July 29, 2021, 01:29:07 PM »
Well since my indys with krepers got jacked I'm gonna gave to get some more 159s and probably get krux kingpins

logjammin

• Rep: 314
« Reply #10342 on: July 29, 2021, 01:29:42 PM »
I remember being a kid and not caring about my set-up beyond how it looked. I can vaguely remember riding shitty quality boards, some probably warped. Trucks that didn't turn, god awful stock bushings that I had no concept of the fact they could be swapped out. Destroyed pivot cups, flat spotted wheels on the first day, seized bearings. We didn't care, we just skated. If stock trucks work for you, then more power to you. But I thoroughly enjoy tinkering with my set-up in weird ways and am taking full advantage of the magical world of skate hardgoods and all the options that can change how things feel in all these little ways. Truck goon for life. Shalom

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10343 on: July 29, 2021, 01:39:25 PM »
Well since my indys with krepers got jacked I'm gonna gave to get some more 159s and probably get krux kingpins

IDK what your preference is, but the Krux aren't threaded nearly enough. If you have any intention of skating tighter than a little less than stock, just get more Krepers.

Obviously if you've skated both and know you like the Krux more, disregard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253447181873?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10344 on: July 29, 2021, 02:09:31 PM »
I remember being a kid and not caring about my set-up beyond how it looked. I can vaguely remember riding shitty quality boards, some probably warped. Trucks that didn't turn, god awful stock bushings that I had no concept of the fact they could be swapped out. Destroyed pivot cups, flat spotted wheels on the first day, seized bearings. We didn't care, we just skated. If stock trucks work for you, then more power to you. But I thoroughly enjoy tinkering with my set-up in weird ways and am taking full advantage of the magical world of skate hardgoods and all the options that can change how things feel in all these little ways. Truck goon for life. Shalom

I was thinking recently about how I would probably go a whole summer without one touching my trucks, bearings, wheels, whatever. Didn’t even cross my mind. I probably couldn’t have found my skate tool if I looked hard for it.

Fasttimes

• Rep: -22
« Reply #10345 on: July 29, 2021, 02:40:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was thinking recently about how I would probably go a whole summer without one touching my trucks, bearings, wheels, whatever. Didn’t even cross my mind. I probably couldn’t have found my skate tool if I looked hard for it.

Agreed. Have fun and it'll work just fine. We use to share stuff with friends just to keep going. I miss being a broke kid. . . .

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #10346 on: July 29, 2021, 03:06:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Obviously if you've skated both and know you like the Krux more, disregard.
IDK what your preference is, but the Krux aren't threaded nearly enough. If you have any intention of skating tighter than a little less than stock, just get more Krepers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253447181873?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Damn you're probably right. I just think the krux ones look so sexy. I'll probably grab a few of both just to keep on hand
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 12:17:21 PM by DaleSr »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10347 on: July 29, 2021, 07:41:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agreed. Have fun and it'll work just fine. We use to share stuff with friends just to keep going. I miss being a broke kid. . . .

Turn was never a considering for me growing up, "why lean when you can tick tack?".
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10348 on: July 30, 2021, 11:00:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Turn was never a considering for me growing up, "why lean when you can tick tack?".

Turning was always critical for me (I started on Indys) and instantly gravitated towards loose trucks.

Never tinkered unless you call using thunder/indy hybrids because you cracked a plate or killed a hanger.

We rode wheels down to bearing condoms (unless you couldn't ride out the flatspot), replaced broken bolts with whatever size or head shape was around, razortailed until tails were no longer even, swapped bearings when they seized, always ground down to axle, and rode stock bushings until they cracked or crumbled and then replaced with whatever top or bottom (if we even had any 'extra'). Good times.

That all said, back in the day, boards and kingpins snapped A LOT more than they do now (chipped way easier too...woodfiller and grip patches) and baseplates cracked at the bolt holes quite a bit, especially during the launch/jump ramp days and then moving onto loading docks/stairs and gaps...so the surplus of parts really grew out of necessity.

Gear is definatly more durable these days.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10349 on: July 30, 2021, 11:35:55 AM »

Are you sure you ordered/they sent you maglights and not the standard aluminums?

ATG Maglight plates are some of the lightest if not the lightest out there...

(all weighed with stock pins and pivot cups only)

ACE classic 125g
Mini Logo 102g
Hollow Forged Indy 100g
Hollow Forged Venture 97g

Didn't bother to dismantle my Thunders Team hollows because I know they are heavier than the Tensor Mag plates. I'd wager that Thunder forged hollow are damn close tho.

I guarantee you the below are heavier:

Standard Indy
IKP Indy
Standard Thunder
Standard Venture
Standard Krux

So, I'd be very interested in seeing your collection of 12 plates and their weight that are lighter than 75g as I'm already running out of 'light' brands and baseplate combinations and had to resort to cast plate combinations.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 11:48:01 AM by Xen »