Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1224099 times)

LewFarrell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 140
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10380 on: August 01, 2021, 09:43:46 AM »
@Xen I hit the DMs but I'll comment my question on their most recent post too.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #10381 on: August 01, 2021, 10:02:13 AM »
Just to add. I bought my mag atg from thank you. A year ago. They have magnesium on the baseplate. Magnesium base plates take a lot of damage. These are pretty worn. On my destructo mags, I wore them down to the pivot cup.

I could see them doing a redesign, but since it’s a skateboard company, I could also see them encountering a supply shortage and changing the truck without telling people because nobody would notice. This could also be why I can’t find a pair of silver mag at the moment as the color of the base and hanger would be a little off.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10382 on: August 01, 2021, 12:15:10 PM »
Does anyone know if thunder hollows have baseplates that have the hex head slot that fits the nut for krux kingpins?

@Seventyfuhkinseven
My 'Silvas Omni' [team] Hollows from the most recent drop do:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:08:29 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10383 on: August 01, 2021, 02:12:12 PM »
How easy do you think those pop out?

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #10384 on: August 01, 2021, 02:39:01 PM »
I usually run the flat washer at the top, bare bottoms with Bones in Thunders and swapping the washer from the top to the bottom mades a huge difference for me. I think the hangers were tilted ever so slightly inwards with the washer at the top and putting it at the bottom evened them out.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10385 on: August 01, 2021, 02:59:05 PM »
How easy do you think those pop out?

The stock pins?

I did the krux conversion a few years ago on thunder teams, they popped right out. Who knows if due to the new format that would be different, but somehow I don’t think they’ve changed metal or casting process, just the mold.

I’m slightly tempted but will probably wait until I grind them down to where I need the room or dlx drop their stand alone IKP as can barely get thunders loose enough as it is and using a downlow pin only makes that tougher.

It’s got to be in prep for a dlx IKP unless they’re just being user friendly.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 05:21:46 PM by Xen »

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #10386 on: August 01, 2021, 03:14:15 PM »
They pop out easy on cast. At least on my 1-2 year old thunder. A real pain on the forged ones. Took me half a day without success and until I tried a sledgehammer.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10387 on: August 01, 2021, 05:31:38 PM »
Two years ago cast no problem...last years cast....one easy...other nope...it could be something which varies.  I just think they don't engineer and manufacture them for easy replacement.  Kingpins don't break like they use to. 

Fhk

« Reply #10388 on: August 01, 2021, 06:03:38 PM »
I found some cast plates and they both popped out in 2/3 swings but they don't have the hex cut out. The krux kingpins I ordered say K5 dlx they look the same as the normal ones, I hope they are.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #10389 on: August 01, 2021, 10:56:55 PM »
I have some thunder lights. The stock bushings splooged out. I'm a big boy. I took out some bones hards that I used in some indies for 5 months. I couldn't fit it with the washer so I took it out. I go to the park with no tool, and they feel too tight and I simultaneously have wheel-bite. It feels like borrowed someones elses board that rides the opposite stance. I think I put the bushing I previously had in the front, in the back and vice-versa. Did not expect it feel like this.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #10390 on: August 02, 2021, 09:50:36 PM »
Anyone know how the mag light lows affect WB? Is it similar to the current ATGs (which I think are +3.125)?

sketchyrider

« Reply #10391 on: August 04, 2021, 09:49:58 AM »
Kick started some truck madness again. I felt pretty good on 159 hollows and titaniums. Moved across the country and my stuff was all boxed up so I bought some 159 standards on a whim, and I actually like them more I think?

I also changed up to some wider wheels so now I want to try some 149 standards to see if those work better.

Also wonder if all these things are so subtle that a 9 to 5 desk jockey will barely notice the differences. Would be nice to pick one setup to stick with for good.

Boog

• Rep: 194
« Reply #10392 on: August 06, 2021, 09:20:11 AM »
Kick started some truck madness again. I felt pretty good on 159 hollows and titaniums. Moved across the country and my stuff was all boxed up so I bought some 159 standards on a whim, and I actually like them more I think?

I also changed up to some wider wheels so now I want to try some 149 standards to see if those work better.

Also wonder if all these things are so subtle that a 9 to 5 desk jockey will barely notice the differences. Would be nice to pick one setup to stick with for good.
I can relate to this 100 percent.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #10393 on: August 07, 2021, 01:16:53 AM »

Is there any downside to skating with pivot cup kinda exposed through the baseplate?

Trucks were way to axled so swapped the hangers recently and now I'm through the baseplate too lol

Feels totally fine when I'm skating but definitely don't want to eat shit mid trick as my truck crumbles on me
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 01:24:11 AM by tzhangdox »

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #10394 on: August 07, 2021, 03:43:44 AM »

Is there any downside to skating with pivot cup kinda exposed through the baseplate?

Trucks were way to axled so swapped the hangers recently and now I'm through the baseplate too lol

Feels totally fine when I'm skating but definitely don't want to eat shit mid trick as my truck crumbles on me

Frankly I never had a baseplate looking like this but I suspect the pivot can easily break through in a number of situations. The pivot is subject to a lot of momentum.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10395 on: August 07, 2021, 04:58:22 PM »
Sooner or later that hanger/pivot is going to just pop the fuck out...kingpin snap and down you go, I'd say you are risking it as it is.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10396 on: August 07, 2021, 06:17:20 PM »
Sooner or later that hanger/pivot is going to just pop the fuck out...kingpin snap and down you go, I'd say you are risking it as it is.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10397 on: August 08, 2021, 08:01:51 AM »
You'll shoot your eye out.....

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #10398 on: August 09, 2021, 12:03:03 AM »
swapped out the baseplates. you guys got me spooked.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #10399 on: August 09, 2021, 03:40:26 AM »
swapped out the baseplates. you guys got me spooked.
I mean, running half a baseplate is plenty spooky on it's own.

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #10400 on: August 09, 2021, 04:52:02 AM »
Been riding some inverted kingpins. Taking off my truck to adjust tightness got old. So I mix up some Gorilla epoxy but ran out halfway through.

Devcon plastic steel was used instead for the remaining truck. The Gorilla epoxy chunked out upon tightening despite curing for three days. The Devcon plastic steel cured strong like a carbon fiber impregnated plastic. Much less squishy and seemingly more resistance. Devcon seems to be the way to go

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #10401 on: August 09, 2021, 06:51:57 AM »
Been riding some inverted kingpins. Taking off my truck to adjust tightness got old. So I mix up some Gorilla epoxy but ran out halfway through.

Devcon plastic steel was used instead for the remaining truck. The Gorilla epoxy chunked out upon tightening despite curing for three days. The Devcon plastic steel cured strong like a carbon fiber impregnated plastic. Much less squishy and seemingly more resistance. Devcon seems to be the way to go

Gun nuts love this stuff. Do you know in what way it differs (if at all) from JB Weld 2-part epoxy?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Fhk

« Reply #10402 on: August 09, 2021, 07:41:26 AM »

I just put the Dlk k5 kingpins in my 161 lights with no issues, if anyone else is considering it. It will be convenient having the Allen key since I'm a big fella and fuck with the looseness quite a bit.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1427
« Reply #10403 on: August 09, 2021, 08:26:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gun nuts love this stuff. Do you know in what way it differs (if at all) from JB Weld 2-part epoxy?

I was wondering the same thing because I wanted to ride Kreper kingpins. After some light reading about Devcon Plastic Steel, Devcon isn't an epoxy but something else entirely different: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_methacrylate

Orthopedic surgeons use bonding agents based on the same chemistry as Devcon Plastic Steel for joint replacements. So it goes to follow Devcon is probably the best you can get, no?
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10404 on: August 09, 2021, 01:21:27 PM »

I just put the Dlk k5 kingpins in my 161 lights with no issues, if anyone else is considering it. It will be convenient having the Allen key since I'm a big fella and fuck with the looseness quite a bit.

Do your plates have the new hex shape? Was going to run this on my 161s

Fhk

« Reply #10405 on: August 09, 2021, 02:45:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do your plates have the new hex shape? Was going to run this on my 161s
No sir, but there is no way for the nut to spin so it works just the same.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 04:14:18 AM by Seventyfuhkinseven »

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #10406 on: August 09, 2021, 07:59:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Apparently Devcon isn’t an epoxy like JB weld. When you mix the two chemicals you’re actually creating a plastic. There’s tiny shards of steel in the mixture which add a shit ton of reinforcement. When it dries it feels like ceramic

Shit fucking stinks to high heaven though, probably smart to work with it outside

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1439
« Reply #10407 on: August 09, 2021, 08:05:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I was wondering the same thing because I wanted to ride Kreper kingpins. After some light reading about Devcon Plastic Steel, Devcon isn't an epoxy but something else entirely different: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_methacrylate

Orthopedic surgeons use bonding agents based on the same chemistry as Devcon Plastic Steel for joint replacements. So it goes to follow Devcon is probably the best you can get, no?

Kreper kingpins are great from my experience. I can't wait to try out this devcon shit

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1427
« Reply #10408 on: August 11, 2021, 04:20:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Kreper kingpins are great from my experience. I can't wait to try out this devcon shit

I feel I may have come up with a better/easier solution than epoxys. I hammered a brass spoke nipple between the baseplate and the nut. After mounting the trucks it works. Trucks can be tightened and loosened without the nut spinning. Probably any soft bit of metal hammered in will work, it just needs to "jam up" the rotation. I drew a shitty MS paint picture to illustrate, the red thing represents the brass nipple.

If you go down the Devcon route, I'd like to know how it goes  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

al_cvbrera

« Reply #10409 on: August 11, 2021, 07:22:21 AM »
in your own words, how do thunders compare to ventures and vice versa? i'm really considering getting either of the two.