Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231859 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10410 on: August 11, 2021, 07:48:34 AM »
Thunders- The Turn initiates nice and quick but isn't very deep. Feel stable even when loose. Can wheel bite quick without risers for some people/ setups. Some people don't like where the axle sits in relation to the baseplate- as on nose/ tail slides your wheels can catch. Very light (even the standard team trucks). Great stock bushings. I personally think the turn is improved with risers.

Ventures- The Turn is very delayed. You lean- nothing and then after a certain point it tuns quite nice. Very different feeling. Good for setting up for flip tricks, manuals and has a great pop. Huge Kingpin clearance. I haven't spent much time on Venture. I'm still yet to feel how stable they are bombing hills and how well they turn in a bowl.

My preference of the two, right now, is Thunder as I like the quick turn but also that stability when going fast.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #10411 on: August 11, 2021, 07:58:50 AM »
Thunders- The Turn initiates nice and quick but isn't very deep. Feel stable even when loose. Can wheel bite quick without risers for some people/ setups. Some people don't like where the axle sits in relation to the baseplate- as on nose/ tail slides your wheels can catch. Very light (even the standard team trucks). Great stock bushings. I personally think the turn is improved with risers.

Ventures- The Turn is very delayed. You lean- nothing and then after a certain point it tuns quite nice. Very different feeling. Good for setting up for flip tricks, manuals and has a great pop. Huge Kingpin clearance. I haven't spent much time on Venture. I'm still yet to feel how stable they are bombing hills and how well they turn in a bowl.

My preference of the two, right now, is Thunder as I like the quick turn but also that stability when going fast.
thanks man! thunders it is then. should be interesting trying them out coming from aces.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10412 on: August 11, 2021, 08:16:27 AM »
I rotate between Ace and Thunder and there is usually  a little adjustment period. . Thunders are going to feel very different from Ace. Both in turn and in the way they pop. Ace turn quick and deep and keep turning. Thunder is far more limited of a turn. Ace pop quick but can feel sloppy. Thunder, you need pop harder but get more in return. Just the opinions of a middle aged mediocre skateboarder, so take them with a grain of salt.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #10413 on: August 11, 2021, 08:59:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Been riding some inverted kingpins. Taking off my truck to adjust tightness got old. So I mix up some Gorilla epoxy but ran out halfway through.

Devcon plastic steel was used instead for the remaining truck. The Gorilla epoxy chunked out upon tightening despite curing for three days. The Devcon plastic steel cured strong like a carbon fiber impregnated plastic. Much less squishy and seemingly more resistance. Devcon seems to be the way to go
[close]

Gun nuts love this stuff. Do you know in what way it differs (if at all) from JB Weld 2-part epoxy?
[close]

I was wondering the same thing because I wanted to ride Kreper kingpins. After some light reading about Devcon Plastic Steel, Devcon isn't an epoxy but something else entirely different: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_methacrylate

Orthopedic surgeons use bonding agents based on the same chemistry as Devcon Plastic Steel for joint replacements. So it goes to follow Devcon is probably the best you can get, no?
[close]

Kreper kingpins are great from my experience. I can't wait to try out this devcon shit
[close]

I feel I may have come up with a better/easier solution than epoxys. I hammered a brass spoke nipple between the baseplate and the nut. After mounting the trucks it works. Trucks can be tightened and loosened without the nut spinning. Probably any soft bit of metal hammered in will work, it just needs to "jam up" the rotation. I drew a shitty MS paint picture to illustrate, the red thing represents the brass nipple.

If you go down the Devcon route, I'd like to know how it goes  :)

Mind posting a photo? I get it but I want to see how
It looks. I guarantee that I own more brass nipples than any other Slapper (unless someone else built wheels professionally for twelve years), so I am eager to try this.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #10414 on: August 11, 2021, 09:00:20 AM »
Ok so I've decided to get some Thunder 147s again.
As far as avoiding magic carpet..... what is maximum width that I could use, without magic carpet'ing?
Pretty sure I could do 8.25 without it feeling too tippy, but... above that? Like 8.3, 8.4, 8.5? (I don't like trucks above 8")
8.25 max... or?

brownjenkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10415 on: August 11, 2021, 09:25:58 AM »
As far as avoiding magic carpet..... what is maximum width that I could use, without magic carpet'ing?
Pretty sure I could do 8.25 without it feeling too tippy, but... above that? Like 8.3, 8.4, 8.5? (I don't like trucks above 8")
8.25 max... or?

I guess that depends on your magic carpet tolerance. I just got my first pair of 147s and I've tried them on an 8.125 and an 8.25. I'm running two washers on the inside of each wheel. I feel like I could easily run them on an 8.38 without issue. But I actually prefer magic carpet to frankentruck.

147s are rather low for a standard truck so I put 1/8 risers on there. I think I'd wheelbite too hard on the 8.25 and a 50mm truck with the added tippyness.

Here's Ellington riding 147s on an 8.625 about ten years ago:

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #10416 on: August 11, 2021, 05:04:52 PM »
I've rode 3 different trucks the past 2 years. Indy, Venture, Thunder, and in that order.

Indys standards really did turn well, I felt surfy, and I was carving bowls when I first got them. I was riding 8.5 boards at the time. Responsive and quick turn in. I wanted to lose weight before I started trying flip tricks again due to my bad ankles. They definitely take more effort to flip. After awhile the bushing broke apart and was splooging out. I got the bones hards, and they didnt turn as quick but at least they never broke. Worked well for me, since im 200lbs. If I make a big boy setup; 8.5in more for cruising I'd want Indys again.

Ventures feel like home, I used to skate them in the mid 2000s with 7.75 boards. I was interested in longer wheelbase trucks just in case I bought a shorter WB deck. I got a good deal on some Venture bobby worrest models. Had a cool green bushing. They felt a little lighter than the Indys. By that point I was consistently skating 8.38 decks and doing flip tricks again. I cant say anything bad or anything amazing about them, they felt good, very middle of the road. Very reliable, stable, hardly every loosened, so I never carried skate tools. My main complaint is that bolts were harder to take off due to having to angle the skate tool, when it comes to deck swap time. (Its been 4 months since I've ridden the ventures, actually itching to ride em again)

I found some lightly used Thunders with hollow kingpin someone left at the spot one day. This was my first time skating a hollow anything. I love the lower effort required, especially for flipping the board. Felt good. The bushing quickly crumbled and were coming out. Switched over to my bones hards I had previously used on the Indy's. At first it felt weird. Like the board only wanted to turn one direction, and tight yet wheel bitey, after a day felt better. They work but the turn in / responsiveness slowed down a bit. I think what I like most is the lightness factor, long wheelbase, and theyre good looking. Less weight just makes skating easier, especially for someone with bad ankles. Good trucks.

Out of all 3 the indys turned the best. The ventures were the best truck "stock", stock bushing never broke, and felt harder than the others. Skating felt easiest with the Thunders. I need to try other Trucks "light" version to be fair.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 05:22:27 PM by lazer69 »

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1428
« Reply #10417 on: August 11, 2021, 10:08:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Been riding some inverted kingpins. Taking off my truck to adjust tightness got old. So I mix up some Gorilla epoxy but ran out halfway through.

Devcon plastic steel was used instead for the remaining truck. The Gorilla epoxy chunked out upon tightening despite curing for three days. The Devcon plastic steel cured strong like a carbon fiber impregnated plastic. Much less squishy and seemingly more resistance. Devcon seems to be the way to go
[close]

Gun nuts love this stuff. Do you know in what way it differs (if at all) from JB Weld 2-part epoxy?
[close]

I was wondering the same thing because I wanted to ride Kreper kingpins. After some light reading about Devcon Plastic Steel, Devcon isn't an epoxy but something else entirely different: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_methacrylate

Orthopedic surgeons use bonding agents based on the same chemistry as Devcon Plastic Steel for joint replacements. So it goes to follow Devcon is probably the best you can get, no?
[close]

Kreper kingpins are great from my experience. I can't wait to try out this devcon shit
[close]

I feel I may have come up with a better/easier solution than epoxys. I hammered a brass spoke nipple between the baseplate and the nut. After mounting the trucks it works. Trucks can be tightened and loosened without the nut spinning. Probably any soft bit of metal hammered in will work, it just needs to "jam up" the rotation. I drew a shitty MS paint picture to illustrate, the red thing represents the brass nipple.

If you go down the Devcon route, I'd like to know how it goes  :)

This is some high level wizardry

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #10418 on: August 12, 2021, 06:21:17 AM »
Expand Quote
8.25 max... or?
[close]

I guess that depends on your magic carpet tolerance. I just got my first pair of 147s and I've tried them on an 8.125 and an 8.25. I'm running two washers on the inside of each wheel. I feel like I could easily run them on an 8.38 without issue. But I actually prefer magic carpet to frankentruck.

147s are rather low for a standard truck so I put 1/8 risers on there. I think I'd wheelbite too hard on the 8.25 and a 50mm truck with the added tippyness.

Here's Ellington riding 147s on an 8.625 about ten years ago:

Ellington on high level carpet.
I bought an 8.2 deck, thinking I'll be alright. Will be weird after 7.75 regardless. I haven't really felt the wheelbite, but seen it on the board, when I've used Thunders. I just have to remember my routine for breaking them in, which if I recall for Thunder, is to just ride them for a few sessions without tightening them, then you're free to do whatever. I am looking forward to the high pop with flip tricks that I seem to gain on Thunder !

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #10419 on: August 12, 2021, 10:32:08 PM »
Random but I just measured my Tensor ATG mags and the two sets I own extend WB by different amounts. The set of 5.25s I have extend by roughly +2.9 while the 5.5s extend by roughly +3.13. Anyone else notice this?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #10420 on: August 12, 2021, 10:50:45 PM »
Random but I just measured my Tensor ATG mags and the two sets I own extend WB by different amounts. The set of 5.25s I have extend by roughly +2.9 while the 5.5s extend by roughly +3.13. Anyone else notice this?

If one set is skated and the other is new there could be some variance depending on how compressed the bushings/pivot cup are etc.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10421 on: August 12, 2021, 11:07:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If one set is skated and the other is new there could be some variance depending on how compressed the bushings/pivot cup are etc.

Interesting! I didn't know it would amount to that much of a difference. Yes, the 5.5s are well worn so that would make sense. Thanks for clarifying!

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #10422 on: August 12, 2021, 11:25:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Interesting! I didn't know it would amount to that much of a difference. Yes, the 5.5s are well worn so that would make sense. Thanks for clarifying!

I mean you might be onto something still. Idk I've not had 5.5 and 5.25 atgs, but comparing wb extension of brand new trucks vs heavily skated ones is definitely not a super fair comparison. I've had my front truck axle placement sit slightly different to my back truck on the same set of ventures on the same board just due to how they wear in.

LE_rik

• Rep: 4
« Reply #10423 on: August 13, 2021, 01:14:44 AM »
I'm on standard 149 Indies on 8.25-8.5 boards the last years never questioned the trucks, (finally just switched back from bones to 94a indie bushings for more stability). BUT, I made a change to heavier 56mm wheels lately and had problems adapting to the weight of my setup and switched back to the worn down 50mm wheels (now awaiting 52 OG classics). All in all the old wheels were 100g difference which I feel with better pop and flipabaility.

Question: anyone made the switch from standard to forged Titanium indies (which are almost 150g difference??) And made a huge step towards more pop and quickness of the setup? Is it just in my head tricking me? I  got the idea of a stable but light 8.5 setup in my mind, if that's even possible. Yeah and I have an eye on the light Ventures and Thunders but don't want to change too much at the moment.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #10424 on: August 14, 2021, 02:33:46 AM »
Before I go pull all my stuff apart for no reason:

Has anyone tried Indy hangars (specifically 169) on the Ace AF1 baseplate? I know the classics worked good with Indy hangars to shorten wheelbase, is this still the case with the AF1’s? I’m at peak madness with one of my setups but I don’t want to redrill such a beautiful board.

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #10425 on: August 14, 2021, 05:21:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They keep tweaking the design. I’ve bought three sets of ATGs so far. On the previous page Xen posted a picture of his ATG baseplates which are magnesium. Tensor has since switched to only using magnesium in the hanger and having aluminum baseplates. The bushings are also a different duro between “releases”

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10426 on: August 14, 2021, 11:32:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

They keep tweaking the design. I’ve bought three sets of ATGs so far. On the previous page Xen posted a picture of his ATG baseplates which are magnesium. Tensor has since switched to only using magnesium in the hanger and having aluminum baseplates. The bushings are also a different duro between “releases”

I noticed the bushing thing as well. I didn’t weigh my 5.25s so no clue about the diff baseplates but the bushings were noticeably different than the 5.5s (I still have both stock since I use bones mediums)

Edit: I took apart both trucks and yes, the new set don’t have mag baseplates. Mine aren’t marked as magnesium on the baseplates and weigh about 30g more per baseplate. They’re still super light at under 300g but that would have been nice to know from Tensor’s end. I put the mag baseplates on the 5.25s since I just sized down and those will be my main trucks going forward.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 12:10:21 AM by FatGuy92 »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #10427 on: August 16, 2021, 07:25:25 AM »
Has anybody heard anything about thunder (and venture I guess) ever making titanium trucks again? It's been more than a year now and my titanium 148 are spooky close to the axle. Could covid really fuck their supplies this badly or did they just stop making them? Indy and even small companies like polster seem to have no problems getting titanium axles.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10428 on: August 16, 2021, 08:42:25 AM »
Has anybody heard anything about thunder (and venture I guess) ever making titanium trucks again? It's been more than a year now and my titanium 148 are spooky close to the axle. Could covid really fuck their supplies this badly or did they just stop making them? Indy and even small companies like polster seem to have no problems getting titanium axles.

I've been waiting for DLX to drop some Ti thunders (settling on Team hollows for now). For sure supply chain issues but odd that indy have no problem and even something so low rent at polster are shipping ti product. So maybe supply chain and cost? Maybe no one is buying them? I should have kept mine instead of selling them off!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10429 on: August 16, 2021, 08:43:18 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I noticed the bushing thing as well. I didn’t weigh my 5.25s so no clue about the diff baseplates but the bushings were noticeably different than the 5.5s (I still have both stock since I use bones mediums)

Edit: I took apart both trucks and yes, the new set don’t have mag baseplates. Mine aren’t marked as magnesium on the baseplates and weigh about 30g more per baseplate. They’re still super light at under 300g but that would have been nice to know from Tensor’s end. I put the mag baseplates on the 5.25s since I just sized down and those will be my main trucks going forward.

Curious, what is different about the bushings?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10430 on: August 16, 2021, 09:22:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been waiting for DLX to drop some Ti thunders (settling on Team hollows for now). For sure supply chain issues but odd that indy have no problem and even something so low rent at polster are shipping ti product. So maybe supply chain and cost? Maybe no one is buying them? I should have kept mine instead of selling them off!

If it's any consolation I'm riding them right now, and loving them, so thank you.

My guess is the price of US Titanium or manufacturing trucks in US is prohibiting Venture and Thunder (USA made trucks) from being massed produced. Indy and Theeve produce their Titanium trucks in China and can continue doing so.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10431 on: August 16, 2021, 09:52:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Curious, what is different about the bushings?

The ones that came stock with the 5.5s were super stiff and took awhile to break in. I ended up switching to bones mediums because of this. The stock bushings in the 5.25s felt like bones soft bushings even after spending an hour breaking them in.

I’ve had this same issue with thunders. A set of 151 hollow lights had the hardest feeling bushing.. could not get them to turn. I was gifted a set of 148 hollow lights recently that felt completely different (stock). Same red color bushings in both

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10432 on: August 16, 2021, 12:21:21 PM »
Another random truck question: Why do different truck styles (cast/forged/hollow/titanium) by the same company have a different wheelbase at all? Are they intentionally changing it to a specific amount? Is it just coincidence and they don't care as long as the difference isn't huge?
The weirdest thing to me is that it seems to go in the wrong direction. As an example, dlx trucks extend the wheelbase further on the forged/hollow types. Wouldn't you shorten the wheelbase to make them feel even lighter when the target group is people wanting light trucks?
I need answers please

Fhk

« Reply #10433 on: August 16, 2021, 12:32:52 PM »
Another random truck question: Why do different truck styles (cast/forged/hollow/titanium) by the same company have a different wheelbase at all? Are they intentionally changing it to a specific amount? Is it just coincidence and they don't care as long as the difference isn't huge?
The weirdest thing to me is that it seems to go in the wrong direction. As an example, dlx trucks extend the wheelbase further on the forged/hollow types. Wouldn't you shorten the wheelbase to make them feel even lighter when the target group is people wanting light trucks?
I need answers please
I always figured part of it has to do with the typicaly lower baseplate of lights,ti's,etc. But there's a better chance that I am wrong.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10434 on: August 16, 2021, 12:48:17 PM »
I need answers please

Just guessing: pushing out the WB (or rather shortening the nose and tails) offsets the lower height in order to keep the pop feel consistent between the forged and cast plates.

Pushing them in would make them feel lighter, but I think the interest is in preserving product consistency over making something that feels too different (aside from the lighter weight).

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #10435 on: August 16, 2021, 12:52:13 PM »
Expand Quote
I need answers please
[close]

Just guessing: pushing out the WB (or rather shortening the nose and tails) offsets the lower height in order to keep the pop feel consistent between the forged and cast plates.

Pushing them in would make them feel lighter, but I think the interest is in preserving product consistency over making something that feels too different (aside from the lighter weight).

This is what I think as well.

Although I wish this wasn't the case. A forged, hollow 5.6 Venture with the mounting holes drilled in the cast position is probably my dream truck.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10436 on: August 16, 2021, 12:52:49 PM »
Expand Quote
I need answers please
[close]

That's what i thought too, but even same height trucks like the hollow lights and titanium lights have a significant wheelbase difference(Titaniums make a shorter wheelbase, best truck ever. RIP). I'm really curious how/why that happens.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10437 on: August 16, 2021, 01:04:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If it's any consolation I'm riding them right now, and loving them, so thank you.

My guess is the price of US Titanium or manufacturing trucks in US is prohibiting Venture and Thunder (USA made trucks) from being massed produced. Indy and Theeve produce their Titanium trucks in China and can continue doing so.

HAH!

If I were them, I'd source the ti from overseas, they already do it with the forged plates...(cast too I think, my plates didn't say USA on them like they used too).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10438 on: August 16, 2021, 06:12:09 PM »
Because they’re lazy.

The height comes down to how precise they want to be with their cast molds and forging post processing. They could just machine they boardside of the cast baseplate down slightly, which pulls the wheelbase out marginally to match the forged plates. Or they could force the baseplate thicker. I frankly think at some point the first company to forge plates used a specific process and then everyone else copied and it hasn’t changed.

It’s clear lots of parts of truck design are an afterthought.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #10439 on: August 18, 2021, 10:03:22 AM »
I'm sure this has been covered in the last 350 pages, but what bushings are you People Of Size running?  I tried my Indy's with the stock bushings and they split in 30 minutes, so I threw in some Bones mediums that were in my bag.  My other board has Bones hard and I really like em, but I'm trying to get used to riding looser trucks.  I'm guessing Indy bushings are worth trying?