Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1230291 times)

listentoaheartbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10350 on: July 30, 2021, 11:40:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I remember being a kid and not caring about my set-up beyond how it looked. I can vaguely remember riding shitty quality boards, some probably warped. Trucks that didn't turn, god awful stock bushings that I had no concept of the fact they could be swapped out. Destroyed pivot cups, flat spotted wheels on the first day, seized bearings. We didn't care, we just skated. If stock trucks work for you, then more power to you. But I thoroughly enjoy tinkering with my set-up in weird ways and am taking full advantage of the magical world of skate hardgoods and all the options that can change how things feel in all these little ways. Truck goon for life. Shalom
[close]

I was thinking recently about how I would probably go a whole summer without one touching my trucks, bearings, wheels, whatever. Didn’t even cross my mind. I probably couldn’t have found my skate tool if I looked hard for it.
[close]

Agreed. Have fun and it'll work just fine. We use to share stuff with friends just to keep going. I miss being a broke kid. . . .
[close]

Turn was never a considering for me growing up, "why lean when you can tick tack?".
[close]

That all said, back in the day, boards and kingpins snapped A LOT more than they do now [...]
Gear is definatly more durable these days.

Never thought about it, but I regularly snapped kingpins when I was young, and it has not happened to me in at least 15 years or so. Granted, I mostly rode Venture, Grind Kind, and Destructo in 90s and early 00s, and have been on Indys since.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #10351 on: July 30, 2021, 12:14:47 PM »
how much wider apart the do truck axles feel between ventures and thunders? im looking for a break from the tight wheelbase of aces and independents (the only 2 brands i've ever ridden). i know ventures are marginally wider apart axle to axle but what do you guys think?

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #10352 on: July 30, 2021, 12:18:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Well since my indys with krepers got jacked I'm gonna gave to get some more 159s and probably get krux kingpins
[close]

IDK what your preference is, but the Krux aren't threaded nearly enough. If you have any intention of skating tighter than a little less than stock, just get more Krepers.

Obviously if you've skated both and know you like the Krux more, disregard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253447181873?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Do you think you could get it threaded a little further on the krux kingpin?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10353 on: July 30, 2021, 12:27:05 PM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Well since my indys with krepers got jacked I'm gonna gave to get some more 159s and probably get krux kingpins
[close]

IDK what your preference is, but the Krux aren't threaded nearly enough. If you have any intention of skating tighter than a little less than stock, just get more Krepers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253447181873?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
[close]

Like use a threading die to make them go further? I've never rethreaded a kingpin even a little. I think @Mbrimson88 has but he hasn't been posting much as of late.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #10354 on: July 30, 2021, 12:28:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’m sure it could be done with the right die, but the kingpin is already pretty thin Chromoly with rolled threads, and I’d worry that cutting new threads would weaken the pin itself. I actually sat there in my workshop examining it for fifteen minutes before putting my tools away and swapping in a Kreeper kingpin.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #10355 on: July 30, 2021, 12:59:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m sure it could be done with the right die, but the kingpin is already pretty thin Chromoly with rolled threads, and I’d worry that cutting new threads would weaken the pin itself. I actually sat there in my workshop examining it for fifteen minutes before putting my tools away and swapping in a Kreeper kingpin.

You're doing the lords work ❤️

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10356 on: July 30, 2021, 01:00:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The krux pins are called 'Downlow' for a reason: they were made for the 49mm Krux LOW truck...I always use a low/shaved top bushing with them.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 05:50:45 PM by Xen »

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #10357 on: July 30, 2021, 01:02:58 PM »
I like to fantasize about using 8" boards with 147 Thunders, even though my heart belongs to Indy 139s and 7.81" decks

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #10358 on: July 30, 2021, 01:04:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Thank You Supply got more of the Tensor maglight ATGs in stock, so I bought a pair. Usually ride Venture lows, so the 55mm height of the ATGs was throwing me off

After some messing around with different baseplates, I happened upon a solution to my madness. A Kurx K4 baseplate works perfectly with a ATG hanger and the stock Tensor bushings, and dropped the trucks height to ~48mm. It rides like if Indy made a low truck, probably due to the shorter wheelbase. The most surprising finding was that out of my collection of 12 sets of baseplates the ATG Maglights were the heaviest. Perhaps only the mag light hangers are magnesium?
[close]

Are you sure you ordered/they sent you maglights and not the standard aluminums?

ATG Maglight plates are some of the lightest if not the lightest out there...

(all weighed with stock pins and pivot cups only)

ACE classic 125g
Mini Logo 102g
Hollow Forged Indy 100g
Hollow Forged Venture 97g

Didn't bother to dismantle my Thunders Team hollows because I know they are heavier than the Tensor Mag plates. I'd wager that Thunder forged hollow are damn close tho.

I guarantee you the below are heavier:

Standard Indy
IKP Indy
Standard Thunder
Standard Venture
Standard Krux

So, I'd be very interested in seeing your collection of 12 plates and their weight that are lighter than 75g as I'm already running out of 'light' brands and baseplate combinations and had to resort to cast plate combinations.

I ordered the Maglights. They came with the maglight sticker on the hanger along with the logo. The one truck weighed 308 grams and the other weighed 305 grams.

I knocked the kingpin in the attached image out to replace it with krux downlow pins. Even with the kingpin out, your baseplate and kingpin still weighs less than just my baseplate. What gives? :(

It took me forever to post this comment on mobile. Im so old and out of touch. Why doesn’t Slap support jpeg files?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10359 on: July 30, 2021, 02:58:33 PM »
7g of paint? :P

Or our scales are off?

What other plates do you have? Any I listed for a comparison?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10360 on: July 30, 2021, 03:45:04 PM »
I measured 5 other plates (with pins and cups) and 3 were 75g the others 74g

Yes, I have 3 sets of Tensor ATG Mags 8/8.25/8.5

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #10361 on: July 30, 2021, 03:59:24 PM »
The mag light atg TENS seem to be a lot lighter than the normal mag lights atg.
skatedeluxe tells me about 260g vs 300g
Xen might have the tens?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #10362 on: July 30, 2021, 04:18:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You're doing the lords work ❤️

To be clear, I am not a materials scientist and I have no qualifications except for having worked around machining and as a mechanic for a long time. I just sat there and looked at it under a bright light and measured it with my calipers, and thought "this would be shady as hell."
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10363 on: July 30, 2021, 05:48:47 PM »
Xen might have the tens?

They are all ATG Maglights, I (and my OCD) assure you.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 05:56:59 PM by Xen »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10364 on: July 31, 2021, 05:08:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Xen might have the tens?
[close]

ATG Maglights for sure, but are they the TENs?
Yours are the right color to be TENs, his are not. So it would make sense for yours to have the lighter baseplate

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10365 on: July 31, 2021, 02:38:43 PM »
A lot of adult rippers at at the skatepark this morning. decided to nerd out and see what trucks people were using. Mostly Thunders with a few Ace and a small smattering of Indys. Interesting.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10366 on: July 31, 2021, 03:09:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Xen might have the tens?
[close]

[close]

Yours are the right color to be TENs, his are not. So it would make sense for yours to have the lighter baseplate

Dude, they are ATGs trust me, I know what gear I buy and the difference between models within brands.

- There is no ‘10’ on the baseplate
- The ATG baseplate has only the tensor swoosh thing where the 10 would be
- The ATG baseplate is also thinner/more selected than the 10

They are the matte grey/silver the ATGs mags come in…it’s the default ‘grey’ powdercoat and yes, they also use it on the 10s…just like all the other colors. Google it dude.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 03:21:53 PM by Xen »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10367 on: July 31, 2021, 03:21:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Xen might have the tens?
[close]

[close]

[close]

Dude, they are ATGs trust me, I know what gear I buy and the difference between models within brands.

There is no ‘10’ on the baseplate.

They are the matte grey/silver the ATGs mags come in…it’s the default ‘grey’ powdercoat.

I 100% believe you, I'm just saying there are two types of ATG mag lights and the new ones have a lighter baseplate.

Skatedeluxe calls them TENs, the official tensor site does not call them that, they just call them new. I didn't know that, sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10368 on: July 31, 2021, 03:26:14 PM »
They are  NEW  because they are a different geometry truck, the ATG (all terrain geometry).

Dudes baseplate and mine are the exact same design, the ATG, I assure you; I’ve got 3 fricken sets of them I know the difference..And knowing, is half the battle.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10369 on: July 31, 2021, 03:48:35 PM »
You know more than me about (these) trucks I'm sure about that. How the hell are the glossy ones just 40g heavier than the silver ones. I wonder if his baseplates say "Magnesium" on the bottom like yours.

Edit: I'm seriously sorry if I annoyed you with all that. I just thought there's some mystery I might be able to solve. And I apparently can not.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10370 on: July 31, 2021, 06:24:15 PM »
You know more than me about (these) trucks I'm sure about that. How the hell are the glossy ones just 40g heavier than the silver ones. I wonder if his baseplates say "Magnesium" on the bottom like yours.

Edit: I'm seriously sorry if I annoyed you with all that. I just thought there's some mystery I might be able to solve. And I apparently can not.

Either one of our scales is off or his scale has a tare weight added that he is unaware of (I know I don't have one set) that is adding to the overall weight...because at almost 7g heavier WITHOUT a kingpin, something is very off.

From what I can tell my scale is accurate when measuring other things (non-skate) as well as skate items that have wieghts listed online for reference (e.g. indys).

Or he has aluminum plates that were mistakenly sprayed and matched with mag hangers (I don't think they did the flourescent colorways on the aluminum ones).

Either way, I still can't find a baseplate in my quiver that is lighter than the ATG Mag plate; second lightest I have on hand is the Thunder Forged Hollow plate that weighs in at 90g....(which would still make his plate lighter) so I am not sure what 12 plates exist/he's got on hand that are lighter than 82.4g.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10371 on: July 31, 2021, 08:18:56 PM »
Never thought I’d see someone get in a heated argument about Tensor truck knowledge.

Fhk

« Reply #10372 on: August 01, 2021, 06:41:25 AM »
Does anyone know if thunder hollows have baseplates that have the hex head slot that fits the nut for krux kingpins?

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #10373 on: August 01, 2021, 06:58:38 AM »
I should preface this with, I really didn’t want to start an argument. Most of my baseplates are thunder lows which I horarded after they went out of production. There’s a couple ventures in there and some weird plastic Gallwing, and some unbranded baseplates.

Right now I’m traveling for work, but I do have a picture of the k4 Krux baseplate on my phone, so I’ll post it along with the bottom of my ATG maglight trucks.

Bought another pair of the ATGs in a larger size because I love the grind so much and have since forgone the Krux baseplate. I love them, they may be my favorite truck ever

As for the accuracy of my scale, I’m fairly certain it’s pretty accurate. I’ve also weighed both baseplates several times and they weighed ~85ish grams without the kingpins. Here’s the bottom of my ATGs. Tried to strip the paint off with environmentally friendly paint stripper, it took a lot of scrapping. Got all the paint off the top of the baseplate with a lot of hard scrubbing then decided it wasn’t worth the effort on the bottom  https://imgur.com/a/XgzPmTO

When I get home I’ll weigh the new maglight baseplates and report back with findings

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10374 on: August 01, 2021, 07:23:49 AM »

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #10375 on: August 01, 2021, 07:38:24 AM »

Yeah that's not a magnesium baseplate

So they shipped me magnesium hangers with aluminum baseplates? Xen’s look the same as mine, no? The hangers had a “maglight” logo on them along with a decal saying they’re 29% than other trucks

I’m confused by Tensor’s product line

Edit: never mind, Xen’s has “magnesium” on the baseplate. So there’s ATG Maglights with mag baseplates and ATG Maglights with aluminum baseplates?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 07:47:35 AM by Banging in the Slammer »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10376 on: August 01, 2021, 07:46:00 AM »
Expand Quote

So they shipped me magnesium hangers with aluminum baseplates? Xen’s look the same as mine, no? The hangers had a “maglight” logo on them along with a decal saying they’re 29% than other trucks

I’m confused by Tensor’s product line

But Xen's actually say "magnesium" on the baseplate. Maybe they just fucked up and built it wrong, but I can't really imagine that. Or there are actually two versions of the ATG mag lights and the old ones are heavier.

These have the magnesium baseplates and are 40g lighter:

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/tensor-magnesium-light-tens-5-25-all-terrain-truck-silver-8-2-pack_p88950?

These are heavier, same as yours:

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/tensor-magnesium-light-glossy-5-25-all-terrain-truck-safety-pink-8-2-pack_p143889?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10377 on: August 01, 2021, 08:59:45 AM »
No one is arguing unless you read it that way.

I mentioned previously they might be aluminum plates, I was just guessing, and if the above post shows the glossy pink as heavier it stands to reason those fluorescent 'glossy' colorways don’t use mag plates on purpose or it’s a mistake, you could always reach out to Tensor and find out; I would as it's false advertising...unless they've changed the product line and didn't mention it, much like Theeve did when they silently switched from Ti to Steel kingpins (man those ti pins were so fricken light).

If you go to the Thank you Supply site, the 'glossy pink' doesn't have the 'image' stating ATG but it's in the description (and has the same look/design)

https://thankyousupply.com/collections/tensor-trucks

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:13:39 AM by Xen »

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #10378 on: August 01, 2021, 09:15:46 AM »
I too have the Mag Lights with the heavier baseplate and no "magnesium" marking on the bottom.

Here are some pictures on Imgur: http://imgur.com/gallery/G9Bll7s

Bought from SkateWarehouse April 2021. I hit Tensor up on IG asking about this. Will post up if I receive a response.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10379 on: August 01, 2021, 09:29:10 AM »
Smells like a product revision...surely they still can't be 30% lighter...unless that number was bullshit to begin with.

Be interesting to see what they say via social. Did you DM them or post publicly calling them out?

Ordered 8" maglights from SW 2/17/20
Got some 8.5" via a slap pal from his local in March of this year
No idea where or when I picked up the 5.5 mags
All plates say magnesium

Ever since I was sent Ti Ventures that weren't Ti, I always check in shop or after delivery to make sure.

The only public image of the ATG Mag plates I can find are from here:

Shows both the Aluminum and mag plates

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 12:28:15 PM by Xen »