Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1230274 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10290 on: July 09, 2021, 08:47:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone has experiences with 139s on a 8.25 deck?
I can fit 3 washers on the inside and maybe that is very similar to running 144 trucks?
[close]

The Boss runs that combo.  Prior to 144s, people skated 8.25" with either 139s or 149s depending on their preference, and without issue. If the 139s are nice and broken in (and you're used to them), there is going to be a lot less of an adjustment.
[close]
Reynolds skates 8.5 on 139 don't he? Tbh first who cares and second is impossible to keep track of that since he changes setups like I change my socks.
[close]

Age has caught up with him and he isn't hucking much anymore; dude is riding an 8.125" - he replied to my/a question on insta a while back....but the dude has the madness so who knows what he's riding these days, no doubt he's got a quiver.

One my bigger mistakes….with setups is that as I’ve gotten older, I’ve tried to size up. No. Not real helpful. Skating different stuff is fun, but bigger setups just wear me out.
I repeat myself often.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10291 on: July 09, 2021, 09:59:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone has experiences with 139s on a 8.25 deck?
I can fit 3 washers on the inside and maybe that is very similar to running 144 trucks?
[close]

The Boss runs that combo.  Prior to 144s, people skated 8.25" with either 139s or 149s depending on their preference, and without issue. If the 139s are nice and broken in (and you're used to them), there is going to be a lot less of an adjustment.
[close]
Reynolds skates 8.5 on 139 don't he? Tbh first who cares and second is impossible to keep track of that since he changes setups like I change my socks.
[close]

Age has caught up with him and he isn't hucking much anymore; dude is riding an 8.125" - he replied to my/a question on insta a while back....but the dude has the madness so who knows what he's riding these days, no doubt he's got a quiver.
[close]

One my bigger mistakes….with setups is that as I’ve gotten older, I’ve tried to size up. No. Not real helpful. Skating different stuff is fun, but bigger setups just wear me out.
I repeat myself often.

I'm victim of this, but I've always felt more comfortable on 8.3s and 149s, sizing down while ok for flips and whatnot doesn't give me that sense of stability (wide and low and small wheels, it's the 90s kid in me).

Bongwater Mojito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #10292 on: July 10, 2021, 11:43:12 AM »
I'm victim of this, but I've always felt more comfortable on 8.3s and 149s, sizing down while ok for flips and whatnot doesn't give me that sense of stability (wide and low and small wheels, it's the 90s kid in me).

Just set up a 8.3 + Indy 149 forged hollows from old stuff I had, was surprised of the difference. Yes, flips are heavier and it wears me out doing/trying them but there's the stability and wider area to grind. I know when I'll return to my recent 8.1 + Film 5.5 flips feels so much lighter to do.

Also noticed that even soft aftermarket barrel bushings are difficult to get as loose/responsive as I'm used to with Films - if I would set them as loose as I like, nylock wouldn't touch the kingpin.

jaydella

« Reply #10293 on: July 11, 2021, 08:26:42 AM »
I'm riding Indy Stage 11 139 standards with bones hard bushings on the bottom and mediums on top, I kept the top washer on so I can get my ideal tightness/looseness without the bolt sticking out too far above the lock ring.

I've been enjoying this setup and want to get some hollows and put the standards on my winter/indoor ramp board. I ride an 8" board.

The story on the mixed bushings:

The stock bushings crushed and peeled. So I bought Bones mediums and really liked them. After a few months though, the front bottom bushing squashed out.

I bought Bones hard bushings but they turned out to be too stiff. So I came here, searched for threads on bushings, found a reply by someone saying they use hards on the bottom (at the baseplate) and medium on top (at the bolt) and it was perfect for them. So, I figured I'd try it before buying another pack of bushings. I love it. It could be that where I live it's been like 90-100 degrees and humid as fuck, but it's working for me now and feels great. Might be a different story after I move back to the east coast and skate in the fall and winter.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10294 on: July 12, 2021, 04:33:13 PM »
I'm riding Indy Stage 11 139 standards with bones hard bushings on the bottom and mediums on top, I kept the top washer on so I can get my ideal tightness/looseness without the bolt sticking out too far above the lock ring.

I've been enjoying this setup and want to get some hollows and put the standards on my winter/indoor ramp board. I ride an 8" board.

The stock bushings crushed and peeled. So I bought Bones mediums and really liked them. After a few months though, the front bottom bushing squashed out.

I bought Bones hard bushings but they turned out to be too stiff. So I came here, searched for threads on bushings, found a reply by someone saying they use hards on the bottom (at the baseplate) and medium on top (at the bolt) and it was perfect for them. So, I figured I'd try it before buying another pack of bushings. I love it. It could be that where I live it's been like 90-100 degrees and humid as fuck, but it's working for me now and feels great. Might be a different story after I move back to the east coast and skate in the fall and winter.

Just my experience, but bones hards break in really well after a week and feel like a fresh set of mediums for the life of the bushings. The mediums rule new but they just die too quickly.

Have an old set of hards on my cruiser and they're perfect.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10295 on: July 12, 2021, 04:56:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just my experience, but bones hards break in really well after a week and feel like a fresh set of mediums for the life of the bushings. The mediums rule new but they just die too quickly.

Have an old set of hards on my cruiser and they're perfect.

This.
Mediums are beat. And softs always broke immediately, for me.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #10296 on: July 12, 2021, 10:16:00 PM »
I’m a featherweight and I blew out my Bones soft bushings almost immediately.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10297 on: July 12, 2021, 11:19:57 PM »
I can’t stomach the break in periods on hards, did it twice; it’s brutal if you ride loose (they were perfect in ace los tho).

Once the hards are broken in, yeah, mediums for life tho.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #10298 on: July 16, 2021, 09:33:32 PM »
Does anyone know the height of Thunder 147 hollow lights? I know the 148s and above are around 51mm but how low are the 147s?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #10299 on: July 16, 2021, 11:51:13 PM »
Does anyone know the height of Thunder 147 hollow lights? I know the 148s and above are around 51mm but how low are the 147s?

Thunder website says 49mm

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #10300 on: July 18, 2021, 01:18:06 PM »
Anyone ride Thunder 147 on 8.25?

phlap

• Rep: 8
« Reply #10301 on: July 18, 2021, 02:32:47 PM »

Rode 'em on an 8.25 Heroin board with a big fat nose and tail. They worked perfectly.
-Summer of George-

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #10302 on: July 18, 2021, 04:55:25 PM »
Pondering trying Thunder 147 again, but every board I am digging is 8.25. But also I like smallerish trucks, so hopefully not tippy

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10303 on: July 18, 2021, 05:12:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thunder website says 49mm

Somehow completely missed that. Thanks man!

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10304 on: July 18, 2021, 05:13:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Rode 'em on an 8.25 Heroin board with a big fat nose and tail. They worked perfectly.

+1 I used to ride 147 HL with FA 8.25 (when they were using PS) and loved it

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10305 on: July 18, 2021, 09:44:50 PM »
Pondering trying Thunder 147 again, but every board I am digging is 8.25. But also I like smallerish trucks, so hopefully not tippy

The coolest thing about 147s is that they are low/less tippy.
I’m a fan of the overhang, probably from skating so many 7.75s on 5.0s growing up.
I’m back on 147s. Haven’t thought about changing my shit up since I put them back on.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10306 on: July 19, 2021, 09:41:53 AM »

Yep, a few times. I find I prefer them on 8.125s and 144s for 8.25s,

wilk

• Rep: -2
« Reply #10307 on: July 20, 2021, 10:54:54 PM »
I'm on a 8.3 with 147's, strangely not that tippy at all but you do get a little more tip than like a 8 but it's not bad tip...it's the kind of tip that can make pressure flips easier if you are into those, like deliberate..but not tip that will like tip the board if you carve hard, it's more of a floaty kind of ride, Ishod was spot on with that analogy. Grinding 5050 on flatbars have been a little more comfortable for some reason. When you land primo... don't expect to get that primo stab, nah the board just folds whichever way..I've yet to do that like accidental rail stand thing. I actually like it but I'm going back down to 8.1 soon, for reasons that have nothing to do with the way the trucks perform on the board, it really does work fine. 8.3 is too much board for me...I've done 8.25 and it feels nearly identical so you'll be fine if you like 8.25.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #10308 on: July 21, 2021, 02:18:51 PM »
For ppl who've tried aftermarket pivot cups, specifically riptide, how crucial do you find this change? Is this swap out something that y'all continued to do or is it just some excessive truck madness nerd shit that doesn't really matter?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10309 on: July 21, 2021, 02:21:00 PM »
For ppl who've tried aftermarket pivot cups, specifically riptide, how crucial do you find this change? Is this swap out something that y'all continued to do or is it just some excessive truck madness nerd shit that doesn't really matter?
Absolutely necessary unless you got AF1s in which case the stock ones fit better.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #10310 on: July 21, 2021, 02:26:40 PM »

I just replaced pivot cups for the first time ever, my old Indy 169s were super squeaky and wax or oil didn't help. Used the Independent replacement cups, squeaking went away but the trucks feel the same otherwise. I've been changing my setup a lot lately so maybe I am not too sensitive to subtle differences but it didn't feel like the pivot cup has a huge effect on truck performance.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10311 on: July 21, 2021, 02:54:58 PM »

On ACE Classics a must swap. AF1s, no need.

Currently Indy cups (and bushings) are really, really good, I don't even bother with swapping anymore.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #10312 on: July 21, 2021, 09:43:39 PM »

A waste of money, excessive madness shit that people (myself included) convince themselves they need. Any truck that needs them out of the box isn’t a truck worth buying in the first place.

I’m of the opinion that injection molded plastic is, for this application, preferable to polyurethane. 
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10313 on: July 22, 2021, 12:51:58 PM »
I am the opposite, I think riptides are great. The turn and rebound feel quicker, maybe due to the softer urethane deforming more easily. A harder pivot cup might be more stable, but I don't care about that so much.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #10314 on: July 24, 2021, 10:58:42 AM »
Anyone else skate Thunders with Bones bushings? I just tried to go back to the stock thunder bushings after using Bones Hards for the past couple years and that shit felt so gross

I had to tighten the shit out of my trucks just for them to feel halfway stable. Had like 3-4 kingpin threads showing Said fuck it and went back to my Bones Hards where the nut sits flush, I don't need that kind of energy in my life

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #10315 on: July 24, 2021, 02:04:36 PM »
^Just go for some Venoms. Identical shape to thunders with a sheet load of duros to choose from. Longboarders got the bushing game figured out.

http://venomskate.com/street-bushings/

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #10316 on: July 25, 2021, 03:39:48 AM »
alright going to grab my first set of Thunders. i’ve skated Indys most of my life but past 2-3 years been riding 5.8 titanium ventures.  out of the diff thunder models where should i start?  going to get 149s, but do you think standard, hollow lite, titanium?  any input is appreciated

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10317 on: July 25, 2021, 07:40:50 AM »
Titanium or hollows....I prefer the team ones because I like cast baseplates versus forged.  It's a tiny bit more height, I like the look, and I swap out the kingpins...now I skate forged on ventures though and they are just fine. 

What I think you'll be getting is a lower lighter truck.  What I didn't like was the clearance, grinding through trucks quickly, and wheelbite......

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #10318 on: July 25, 2021, 07:54:20 AM »
alright going to grab my first set of Thunders. i’ve skated Indys most of my life but past 2-3 years been riding 5.8 titanium ventures.  out of the diff thunder models where should i start?  going to get 149s, but do you think standard, hollow lite, titanium?  any input is appreciated

If you find thunder titaniums anywhere, grab as many as you can. I wish I had bought more of them before they suddenly disappeared. Best truck ever

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #10319 on: July 25, 2021, 09:37:06 PM »

Id say grab any thunders with cast plates, especially if youre coming from a higher truck like indy.

On another note...looks like Yuto on some V lows with hards and 51mms? I might try that combo tomorrow