Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220958 times)

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11580 on: August 09, 2022, 01:21:21 PM »
Is there a standard size for flat washers? I think I need to pick up a couple to raise my Bones bottom bushing on my Royal ultra lights.

LewFarrell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #11581 on: August 09, 2022, 04:19:24 PM »
Muirskate has them or source with these specs:
 .377" Hole x .875" Diameter, x .08" Thick
9.6mm Hole x 22.2mm Diameter x 2mm

texasplant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #11582 on: August 09, 2022, 07:18:57 PM »

Via Rhino

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #11583 on: August 09, 2022, 08:16:37 PM »

Via Rhino

Huh back of the truck looks different than I thought

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #11584 on: August 10, 2022, 06:38:28 AM »
Ace on one side and weird looking Transformer trucks you can buy on a Target complete on the other.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #11585 on: August 10, 2022, 06:59:09 AM »
Wow this is the first truck that makes me uncomfortable just looking at it. It's just wrong. The ace-side looks nice on this pic though. Other side looks like venture wings but in a very wrong way

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 173
« Reply #11586 on: August 10, 2022, 07:16:55 AM »
Looks like an ace fucked a venture

Frank and Fred

« Reply #11587 on: August 10, 2022, 08:13:54 AM »
Probably a bad angle and weird lighting. Either way, these Stage 4 reissues are probably going to be very heavy.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:03:08 AM by Frank and Fred »

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #11588 on: August 10, 2022, 08:55:25 AM »
Anyone ride a Baker or similar mellow deck on Thunders? If so, how was it?

Late reply, but I have.
It works great for me. I like a deck with a mellow tail and lower trucks because I like my setup to be as responsive as possible. I like a fast pop. I like mellow concave because I typically put my front foot really far on the board for flip tricks and flick really hard, so when I skate a deck with steeper concave I over-flip things.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #11589 on: August 10, 2022, 04:59:47 PM »
Looks like an ace fucked a venture

No doubt.

Seriously ugly bracing/reinforcement going on...but we'll never see it when riding and nor anyone in front or behind you really.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11590 on: August 10, 2022, 07:28:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone ride a Baker or similar mellow deck on Thunders? If so, how was it?
[close]

Late reply, but I have.
It works great for me. I like a deck with a mellow tail and lower trucks because I like my setup to be as responsive as possible. I like a fast pop. I like mellow concave because I typically put my front foot really far on the board for flip tricks and flick really hard, so when I skate a deck with steeper concave I over-flip things.

That reminds me of the Kyle Walker setup - the most mellow concave deck available, Thunder trucks, can still do everything he needs to do.

I also like how you explain it too.  Makes perfect sense.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #11591 on: August 10, 2022, 08:17:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Never noticed how bad the kingpin clearance is on 215's. If the smaller sizes use the same geo then it's probably safe to assume they will still have that long kingpin. Might as well just stick with AF1's, the clearance is definitely better than that.
[close]
I have a set of the new 215s and can confirm the kingpins ARE NOT any longer than the standard/forged hollows. Same kingpin clearance as all the stage 11s.

Can you post a pic?  my new 215s came with a kingpin that was 1/4 longer and a way taller top bushing

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11592 on: August 11, 2022, 02:24:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Never noticed how bad the kingpin clearance is on 215's. If the smaller sizes use the same geo then it's probably safe to assume they will still have that long kingpin. Might as well just stick with AF1's, the clearance is definitely better than that.
[close]
I have a set of the new 215s and can confirm the kingpins ARE NOT any longer than the standard/forged hollows. Same kingpin clearance as all the stage 11s.
[close]

Can you post a pic?  my new 215s came with a kingpin that was 1/4 longer and a way taller top bushing

I am wondering if these are the new improved versions, or the previous versions.

The normal Stage 11 (USA made) with cross and everything 215s I have are the same as the other Stage 11s, but then I think there were the new ones which had a taller kingpin, like the old trucks, but people didn't like that version so they changed it again or something.

I haven't seen any new current stock, but will check next time.

Those with crosses on the baseplate or those without crosses might be the best way to identify them, but people would have to check and confirm.

This is what mine look like, which is the stock pic from most Indy 215 listings, but it still seems mine have more clearance than it looks like in this pic.

This is the latest version on NHS site, with taller top bushings:

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/stage-4-polished-skateboard-trucks-independent

Adding this pic of the newer versions too, which is high res when opened and zoomed in on:

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #11593 on: August 11, 2022, 06:42:12 AM »
I don’t get why people say that truck looks weird. It looks totally fine to me. I don’t know that I’ll be buying a set but there’s nothing visually wrong with it, to my eyes.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11594 on: August 11, 2022, 07:03:50 AM »
The front truck appears to have Venture "wings" but on the kingpin/board side. It could just be the angle tho.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #11595 on: August 11, 2022, 12:32:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

@BMCsteve ill try to swing by nieces after work since I gave her the only standard set I had(aside from the 215s) and get a comparison pic for you. I heard that the kingpin was longer on here when I ordered them so I was going to swap with the standard 149s and they were the same height(my 215s are the new stage 11 no cross) but did have a taller bushing(same size as the bottoms on standards).

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11596 on: August 11, 2022, 09:06:06 PM »

Baseplate is a US made 149 and I know the 215 looks taller in the pic but baseplate is on the concave and I ride my trucks jiggly loose so it’s an optical illusion, the hanger is dropping to the left. If there is a difference it’s less than 1/16”.
The 215s are stage 11 geo with no cross on the baseplate.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #11597 on: August 12, 2022, 01:10:55 AM »
Had a bit of a rough fall and got some nasty whiplash due to some Bones Soft bushings on my Indys that I couldn't get to work for me. That was the last straw and I put some Ace Low bushings on as someone in here suggested.

The turn obviously doesn't feel quite like Ace, but I'm enjoying it. 8.5 Indy Hollows with Ace Low bushings has been a good combination of getting a taste of the Ace turn, but with a lighter-weight 8.5 flush truck.

I'm shocked by how much weight the Indy Hollows take off. Didn't think I would notice the difference tbh, but its a good balance without taking off too much weight. I feel like once you get up to 8.5 boards, that weight reduction is worth it. Hopefully I can get a few flip tricks back now. Its felt like I've been flipping a boat on certain tricks between my big wheels and heavy trucks.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 01:21:26 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #11598 on: August 12, 2022, 01:22:11 AM »

Baseplate is a US made 149 and I know the 215 looks taller in the pic but baseplate is on the concave and I ride my trucks jiggly loose so it’s an optical illusion, the hanger is dropping to the left. If there is a difference it’s less than 1/16”.

Your deck and wheel graphics compliment each other really well. What wheels are those?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11599 on: August 12, 2022, 07:38:46 AM »
 The hollow axle takes off as much weight as like 3 quarters. There is no way it's that noticeable. What I've found is that the forged Ti and maybe forged Hollow feel lighter because the plates and kingpins take off more weight than the axle AND they're lower so there's a lighter/quicker pop. But I really dislike those versions.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #11600 on: August 12, 2022, 09:33:28 AM »
The hollow axle takes off as much weight as like 3 quarters. There is no way it's that noticeable. What I've found is that the forged Ti and maybe forged Hollow feel lighter because the plates and kingpins take off more weight than the axle AND they're lower so there's a lighter/quicker pop. But I really dislike those versions.

It must be a difference in the deck (and truck geometry) then, because like I said, didn't think I would notice a difference... But definitely feels sightly lighter.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #11601 on: August 12, 2022, 09:38:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It must be a difference in the deck (and truck geometry) then, because like I said, didn't think I would notice a difference... But definitely feels sightly lighter.

Even if it's a bit of a placebo, if your mind thinks it feels lighter, you'll skate like it's lighter. At least that's what I tell myself when I spend too much money on slightly lighter trucks

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #11602 on: August 12, 2022, 01:29:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Your deck and wheel graphics compliment each other really well. What wheels are those?

Not me, but I have a set. They look like the floral Spitfire Classics, and I’m pretty sure you can still find them around:

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11603 on: August 12, 2022, 05:30:47 PM »
^^^ He’s correct. Went to Grass Valley and hit Goodtimes and they didn’t have any 99/53s classic so 54 florals were the closest. Colors just were a coincidence.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #11604 on: August 15, 2022, 02:25:50 PM »
So I have thunder lows and bones soft bushings. I've skated loose trucks forever but this combo seems way loose even as tighten them.I don't skate nearly as much so my balance does sucks more but they are like drunk loose. Not sure if it's just a bad truck to bushing combo. I've never not been able to skate any truck with the bolt flush on the kingpin. These are sketch. FYI I currently run them without washers I couldn't find any.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11605 on: August 15, 2022, 02:31:19 PM »
Well, lets reverse what you've done here. First add maybe the top washer back, tighten to flush and see what's up. Then repeat with the bottom washer. IIRC Bones in Thunder's work fine with both washers. If they are still wacky maybe try the Indy white super soft conical bushings or look into options from Khiro or Riptide that are in the 70-80a range. You will need a conical bottom and I think the Indy conicals fit, but someone can correct me on that.

Also, you said Thunder lows- when did you buy these? Thunder only makes highs now although some of their highs can be fairly low.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 03:02:55 PM by LebowskisRug »

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #11606 on: August 15, 2022, 02:47:17 PM »
Well, lets reverse what you've done here. First add maybe the top washer back, tighten to flush and see what's up. Then repeat with the bottom washer. IIRC Thunder's work fine with both washers. If they are still wacky maybe try the Indy white super soft conical bushings or look into options from Khiro or Riptide that are in the 70-80a range. You will need a conical bottom and I think the Indy conicals fit, but someone can correct me on that.

Also, you said Thunder lows- when did you buy these? Thunder only makes highs now although some of their highs can be fairly low.

My trucks are a few years old. I don't have any truck washers top or bottom laying around but you shouldn't need them with those bushings but I'll have to get some from my buddy I guess and see if it does anything.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11607 on: August 15, 2022, 03:06:02 PM »
I don't know about Thunder low, but with the highs if you do not use a bottom washer it changes the pivot cup angle and truck geometry. Most people don't use one and get by fine, but you can just use the stock top washer as the bottom and Bones washer as the top.

If you have a hardware store nearby just take your board with you and go to the bulk section, take your kingpin nut off, and just try different washers on. Truck washers are not anything special.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11608 on: August 15, 2022, 03:10:10 PM »
What year is it?  Are there thunder hi’s?  What happened?

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 302
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #11609 on: August 15, 2022, 03:31:54 PM »
What year is it?  Are there thunder hi’s?  What happened?
All thunders come in a standard "high" height, but are generally closer to the mid range (52mm). The only differences in height would be from forged plates, so subtract 1mm

143 - 147: 50mm
148 - 151: 52mm
161, 181: 53mm