Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1229462 times)

El Freegano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 217
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11520 on: July 26, 2022, 11:34:13 PM »
I join the thunder camp as well. Last week i bought my first pair (147) and felt like i was sleeping for 26 years not trying these, they are just perfect for my type of skating. Low, light, great pop and super easy flip tricks, the grind is fast and the pinch is amazing, i can hold my crookeds for so long that i get tired standing on the ledge haha the joke aside, but i think i also skate better with these. And as mention above all this "ride the best, fuck the rest" just disgusts me... fuck the best, ride the rest :D

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1123
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #11521 on: July 27, 2022, 09:40:53 AM »
I also switched back to thunders on my primary boards. I have a set of Indys on a slappy board and AF1s on a cruiser, and I was running Indys on my street boards and I just never got as comfortable with them on flip tricks as I am on Thunders. The longer geometry/WB on thunders just gives me more consistent pop and is easier to get my tricks up. Really like them a lot.

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #11522 on: July 27, 2022, 02:52:51 PM »
I recently switched back to Thunders as well and concur- I skate the most consistently on them and really prefer the turn. The grind doesn't feel insanely different on the things I skate, but the Indy grind is the best on chunky stuff.

what thunders would yall recommend? Is it same as ventures where the cast base plate is more sought after?

For example on tactics, I see the "Lights", "Hollow Lights", and "Hollow Lights II".

What is the go to for thunders?? And maybe a bushing recommendation. I always prefer hard bushings and I rock them decently loose. Makes the feel, pinch, and carve super solid for me.

On my current ventures I have the stock bottom bushing with a hard top bushing and its amazing.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11523 on: July 27, 2022, 03:28:09 PM »
Man weird user name- I skated FGO from like 1998-2002 and most of my friends did before and after.

I honestly ride the Teams or Standards. They're already pretty light compared to a Venture and have the taller cast plate.

As for bushings I never swap mine so I can't help there. Maybe try either Bones or Thunder Hards and shave down the top slightly? I think the Indy conical bushings fit too.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1123
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #11524 on: July 27, 2022, 03:33:39 PM »
Expand Quote
I recently switched back to Thunders as well and concur- I skate the most consistently on them and really prefer the turn. The grind doesn't feel insanely different on the things I skate, but the Indy grind is the best on chunky stuff.
[close]

what thunders would yall recommend? Is it same as ventures where the cast base plate is more sought after?

For example on tactics, I see the "Lights", "Hollow Lights", and "Hollow Lights II".

What is the go to for thunders?? And maybe a bushing recommendation. I always prefer hard bushings and I rock them decently loose. Makes the feel, pinch, and carve super solid for me.

On my current ventures I have the stock bottom bushing with a hard top bushing and its amazing.

I usually get the Lights or Hollow lights for the forged baseplate and slightly lower height, but like Lebowski said the teams/standards are still stupid light. it's mostly about the ride height. My thunders are for my street boards and I'm not running wheels bigger then 53mm so i like the lower ride.

As far as bushings, I would give the stock bushings a shot, they always feel pretty firm to me and I'm heavy (195lb). I have the kingpin nut barely threaded on and they're still not as loose as I like my trucks. If you need to swap, Thunder did just release new bushings in all duros so you could try the 97 or 100 duro.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #11525 on: July 27, 2022, 06:37:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I personally like the cast baseplates, right now I'm on 149 Teams (standards) but Team Hollows would be good for me too. I ride them pretty loose with stock bushings, 54mm OG Classics and the wheelbite is pretty manageable, but I probably wouldn't get anyting bigger than 54 without risers (and if I ever tried forged plates then I'd probably step down to 52-53mm)

Chris

• Rep: 9
« Reply #11526 on: July 27, 2022, 06:37:49 PM »
Thanks everyone for your time. I am going to keep my Indys.  8)

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #11527 on: July 27, 2022, 07:06:36 PM »
 :P :(
Thanks everyone for your time. I am going to keep my Indys.  8)
Good choice

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #11528 on: July 27, 2022, 07:39:42 PM »
Anyone have some tips for somewhat replicating that Ace turn on Indy trucks?

Since Ace are standard shape barrel shaped bushings with 91a on top and 86a on bottom...

I'm thinking about putting a stock Indy bushing on top, Indy Standard Soft bushing on the bottom (90a/88a). Or a Bones Medium on top (91a/88a).

I'm not sure which one would have a better chance at nailing it. Anyone else do any experiments like this?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11529 on: July 27, 2022, 07:46:42 PM »

Since Ace are standard shape barrel shaped bushings with 91a on top and 86a on bottom...

I'm thinking about putting a stock Indy bushing on top, Indy Standard Soft bushing on the bottom (90a/88a). Or a Bones Medium on top (91a/88a).

I'm not sure which one would have a better chance at nailing it. Anyone else do any experiments like this?

I run bottom barrel 90a and top 92a bushings on my Indys and it works for me. Turns and carves easily while still being stable. I did this because at the time before I made this decision, my Indys were too unstable with 90a but wasn't turning good with 92a. Combining both gave me the best of both worlds without being extremely different from stock Indy. If you have a bigger durometer difference (such as top 92a and bottom 88a) you'll for sure get a feeling similar to Aces.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1932
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11530 on: July 27, 2022, 07:59:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I personally like the cast baseplates, right now I'm on 149 Teams (standards) but Team Hollows would be good for me too. I ride them pretty loose with stock bushings, 54mm OG Classics and the wheelbite is pretty manageable, but I probably wouldn't get anyting bigger than 54 without risers (and if I ever tried forged plates then I'd probably step down to 52-53mm)

Depending on the deck size, standard is great for smaller deck sizes, I'd only start considering lights / hollow lights on 8.5 decks. The Standard is very lightweight and reducing the weight on a smaller board leads to a dinky feeling setup.

Team (cast) baseplate for sure.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

goodnews_cigjuice

• Rep: 4
« Reply #11531 on: July 27, 2022, 08:10:58 PM »
Indy 149 hollows, Indy orange 90a aftermarket conical bushings. No top washer, Yes bottom washer. I usually go with the bones medium hardcore bushings but went with the indy aftermarkets and theyre actually really nice. Rebound well and broke in right away.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11532 on: July 27, 2022, 08:25:38 PM »

Just trim down the Ace bushings or get Supercush 88 for the bottom and an Indy blue or black for the top. The Indy Soft red bushings suck and are harder than the blues.

Also, the stock orange feel identical to me compared to the aftermarket blues. The aftermarket orange are softer than stock. I put my board upside down with a 65lb weight on it so it wouldn't move then placed a 55lb weight on top of a wheel and measured the distance from deck several times, leveling out the truck each time. The Indy stock and blue were within a mm or 2 at same kingpin tightness, aftermarket orange was definitely 5mm more deflection.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11533 on: July 27, 2022, 11:09:46 PM »
if i didnt ride ventures id definitely be on thunder
low, light, and snappy cant be beat
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #11534 on: July 27, 2022, 11:15:44 PM »

I have Ace low bushings in my Indy’s and it’s pretty close. If you can’t find the lows, you can shave down the standard Ace bushings 

FuzzGNU

« Reply #11535 on: July 27, 2022, 11:35:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have Ace low bushings in my Indy’s and it’s pretty close. If you can’t find the lows, you can shave down the standard Ace bushings

Oh wow, you're saying these work fine for Indy?

https://shop.acetrucks.com/products/ace-low-standard-bushings

Any "compatibility" issues?

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #11536 on: July 28, 2022, 09:08:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’ve been running them for 8 months with no issues. They’re barely shorter than stock Indy bushings. Standard Ace bushings are pretty tall

Indy - bottom 13mm, top 10.5mm
Ace low - bottom 12mm, top 10mm
Ace standard - bottom 14mm, top 12mm

It still won’t feel exactly like Aces due to the geometry, but it’s the closest you can get with Indy’s.  I went a little crazy trying a bunch of different bushings when I switched back to Indy

FuzzGNU

« Reply #11537 on: July 28, 2022, 11:09:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’ve been running them for 8 months with no issues. They’re barely shorter than stock Indy bushings. Standard Ace bushings are pretty tall

Indy - bottom 13mm, top 10.5mm
Ace low - bottom 12mm, top 10mm
Ace standard - bottom 14mm, top 12mm

It still won’t feel exactly like Aces due to the geometry, but it’s the closest you can get with Indy’s.  I went a little crazy trying a bunch of different bushings when I switched back to Indy

Awesome. Thanks a ton. Grabbed some.

And thanks for the dimensions. Great info to know!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 11:53:07 AM by FuzzGNU »

FGO925

« Reply #11538 on: July 28, 2022, 11:26:36 AM »
Man weird user name- I skated FGO from like 1998-2002 and most of my friends did before and after.

I honestly ride the Teams or Standards. They're already pretty light compared to a Venture and have the taller cast plate.

As for bushings I never swap mine so I can't help there. Maybe try either Bones or Thunder Hards and shave down the top slightly? I think the Indy conical bushings fit too.

Good shit, its such a terrible park but I love that place. I wonder if I would know any of them, grew up skating fgo since I was a kid with all the homies there, but I started hanging there around 2007 ish - you'd probably know the homie Dustin haha.

And thanks everyone for the advice. I usually have a 8.5 and 8.25 in the quiver. The 8.25 is what Im looking to switch out my old busted ventures for the thunders (149).

So the team truck has a slightly taller ride I'm seeing, but id be riding 53's/54 max. Might just shoot for the hollow's? fuck idk. Either way Ill go to the local shop and see what they have in stock. Just hard to make a decision with all the trade-off's. Got the ol' gear madness real bad rn

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #11539 on: July 28, 2022, 11:33:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good shit, its such a terrible park but I love that place. I wonder if I would know any of them, grew up skating fgo since I was a kid with all the homies there, but I started hanging there around 2007 ish - you'd probably know the homie Dustin haha.

And thanks everyone for the advice. I usually have a 8.5 and 8.25 in the quiver. The 8.25 is what Im looking to switch out my old busted ventures for the thunders (149).

So the team truck has a slightly taller ride I'm seeing, but id be riding 53's/54 max. Might just shoot for the hollow's? fuck idk. Either way Ill go to the local shop and see what they have in stock. Just hard to make a decision with all the trade-off's. Got the ol' gear madness real bad rn

Team Hollows have the cast baseplate with hollow axle and kingpin if you're looking for the taller ride but lighter weight.

FGO925

« Reply #11540 on: July 28, 2022, 02:35:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Team Hollows have the cast baseplate with hollow axle and kingpin if you're looking for the taller ride but lighter weight.

Nice ok maybe thats the move then. Ill go see whats up with the local shop at the end of today.

I wonder what most of the thunder team themselves ride. Its always funny to me when I think of all this gear madness, and I'd bet most of the team riders for any truck company never bother to delve into the nitty gritty or any of the madness we often do.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #11541 on: July 28, 2022, 02:46:09 PM »

Ace bushings
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #11542 on: July 28, 2022, 03:57:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ace bushings AF1 Trucks

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11543 on: July 28, 2022, 04:04:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice ok maybe thats the move then. Ill go see whats up with the local shop at the end of today.

I wonder what most of the thunder team themselves ride. Its always funny to me when I think of all this gear madness, and I'd bet most of the team riders for any truck company never bother to delve into the nitty gritty or any of the madness we often do.

Their IG page features riders and their trucks. Most ride just the standard teams some ride the lights.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #11544 on: July 28, 2022, 07:48:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Their IG page features riders and their trucks. Most ride just the standard teams some ride the lights.

Feels like a lot of pros, across the different brands, ride the cast versions of the trucks.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11545 on: July 28, 2022, 11:04:06 PM »
Pros ride what’s free in their box…sure some get to request ti, hollows, etc., but most ride cast/standards  because they’re free and that’s what they’re used too.

You know how expensive it would be to send ti or forged hollows to everyone?

Sell them off, buy hollows or ti…they don’t have madness they skate them to the ground…

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11546 on: July 29, 2022, 06:23:22 AM »
I asked a pro why they switched from Indy to Thunder and they said that they were getting Spitfires and all of a sudden Thunders just showed up in the same box so they figured they'd just ride em.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #11547 on: July 29, 2022, 06:28:09 AM »
I asked a pro why they switched from Indy to Thunder and they said that they were getting Spitfires and all of a sudden Thunders just showed up in the same box so they figured they'd just ride em.

That's hilarious and completely believable.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #11548 on: July 29, 2022, 06:52:03 AM »

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #11549 on: July 29, 2022, 08:34:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's hilarious and completely believable.

I think most skaters don't have that brand/product loyalty, or gear madness. They just ride whatever

also, I like that DLX just threw a set of trucks in the box to see what would happen