Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220760 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7200 on: December 20, 2019, 07:37:32 AM »
Speaking of ATG I'm really curious about some but here I can only find 5.5 (8.25 axle if I remember well).
Wonder how it would work on 8.5. Should be decent

Do you have to ride an 8.5? 8.375s with 8.25" trucks work great. Awesome trucks.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7201 on: December 20, 2019, 08:54:27 AM »
picked up a pair of 151 hollow lights and they exceeded my expectations. have been riding them with oj mini super juice and can still flip the board cause the trucks are so light. just gotta work on my landings. can wait to accidentally quad flip back on spitfire f4s lol. even tho i fuck with nakel outside of his music career, i prefer my trucks raw. will strip them when im not being lazy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 09:01:11 AM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #7202 on: December 20, 2019, 10:10:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For what it's worth, I was a longtime Indy guy who was going through extreme truck madness earlier this year.. couldn't get anything to feel right. Never thought I'd skate Thunders, for whatever reason, but said fuck it and got a set of 148 Team Hollows back in August. Been skating them ever since, never needed to tighten or loosen them once... let alone add any new pieces or replace anything. Very low maintenance truck and I would really recommend trying them stock.. it's also worth mentioning that from the stuff I've read on here modifying them seems a little tougher than Indy's (most replacement parts seem to be designed with Indy in mind).
[close]

Bought some team thunders, in part due to your accurate recommendation. What size Indy’s were you riding before?
[close]

Word! How have they been treating you? I kind of can't believe how stoked I've been on them.. a breath of fresh air after constantly tweaking Indys. I'll always have a soft spot for Indy, it's like the ex you shouldn't go back to but for some reason catch yourself thinking about. Thunders just seem to make a little more sense for me.

I was a 149 guy for years, and as stage 10's got harder to find I would skate 139's if I found them on ebay. My last set of Indy's were stage 11's so I opted for the 144, just because I never had that option before. That size seemed real good despite me not loving stage 11. Kind of get the crooked grind of the 149 and the turn of the 139 all at once.

I strictly skated 8.25 for the longest but as I've become more flexible going up in board sizes ( a bunch of 8.5's lately), I'd probably not go any lower than 148 Thunder or 144 Indy again.... even though if hard pressed I'd say my favorite combo was 8.25/139

I bought 149 teams and they good. I never settle on stuff so I’ll constantly fantasize about switching them out, but that happens with every truck. I like the height of thunders, the cast plate feels good, they are not too heavy or too light.
I learned a lot of tricks on 7.6 trucks, and probably skate the best on 8” trucks. 8.25 deck and 139s actually worked really well for me, just didn’t like the way it looked. Instantly struggle with Indy 149s/ace 44s.
I’d like to ride bigger wheels, which is what throws me from skating venture lo’s, thunder 147s, where I feel limited to 51s, max.
I should have gotten 148s, and when I get some ventures, for no good reason, I’ll try the 5.6s. The 144 Indy’s were ok, gave em away, over Indy. Except for my old set of 159s that I try and cruise around on.
Do you like 8.5 on 148? I should skate narrower trucks (than deck) makes a lot of sense.

dirtjers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7203 on: December 20, 2019, 10:44:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For what it's worth, I was a longtime Indy guy who was going through extreme truck madness earlier this year.. couldn't get anything to feel right. Never thought I'd skate Thunders, for whatever reason, but said fuck it and got a set of 148 Team Hollows back in August. Been skating them ever since, never needed to tighten or loosen them once... let alone add any new pieces or replace anything. Very low maintenance truck and I would really recommend trying them stock.. it's also worth mentioning that from the stuff I've read on here modifying them seems a little tougher than Indy's (most replacement parts seem to be designed with Indy in mind).
[close]

Bought some team thunders, in part due to your accurate recommendation. What size Indy’s were you riding before?
[close]

Word! How have they been treating you? I kind of can't believe how stoked I've been on them.. a breath of fresh air after constantly tweaking Indys. I'll always have a soft spot for Indy, it's like the ex you shouldn't go back to but for some reason catch yourself thinking about. Thunders just seem to make a little more sense for me.

I was a 149 guy for years, and as stage 10's got harder to find I would skate 139's if I found them on ebay. My last set of Indy's were stage 11's so I opted for the 144, just because I never had that option before. That size seemed real good despite me not loving stage 11. Kind of get the crooked grind of the 149 and the turn of the 139 all at once.

I strictly skated 8.25 for the longest but as I've become more flexible going up in board sizes ( a bunch of 8.5's lately), I'd probably not go any lower than 148 Thunder or 144 Indy again.... even though if hard pressed I'd say my favorite combo was 8.25/139
[close]

I bought 149 teams and they good. I never settle on stuff so I’ll constantly fantasize about switching them out, but that happens with every truck. I like the height of thunders, the cast plate feels good, they are not too heavy or too light.
I learned a lot of tricks on 7.6 trucks, and probably skate the best on 8” trucks. 8.25 deck and 139s actually worked really well for me, just didn’t like the way it looked. Instantly struggle with Indy 149s/ace 44s.
I’d like to ride bigger wheels, which is what throws me from skating venture lo’s, thunder 147s, where I feel limited to 51s, max.
I should have gotten 148s, and when I get some ventures, for no good reason, I’ll try the 5.6s. The 144 Indy’s were ok, gave em away, over Indy. Except for my old set of 159s that I try and cruise around on.
Do you like 8.5 on 148? I should skate narrower trucks (than deck) makes a lot of sense.

Damn I screwed up the reply to this by burying it in the quote, but:

148s on 8.5 has felt really sick. I've done them on an 8.25 and 8.38, both of which were good too. It is probably the most useful width now that we're all choosing boards more based on wheelbase, tail, & nose size. Anywhere from 8.25-8.5 is good.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 11:58:01 AM by dirtjers »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7204 on: December 20, 2019, 12:14:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn I screwed up the reply to this by burying it in the quote, but:

148s on 8.5 has felt really sick. I've done them on an 8.25 and 8.38, both of which were good too. It is probably the most useful width now that we're all choosing boards more based on wheelbase, tail, & nose size. Anywhere from 8.25-8.5 is good.

8.125/8.18 can also rock 148s without issue; it truly is a wundersize.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #7205 on: December 20, 2019, 12:37:58 PM »
Feeling pretty justified in my liking trucks narrower than my board after listening to the Paul Schmitt Nine Club.

I am going to put a v-hollow 5.2 hanger on a cast plate and put it on an 8.38" board. You can tell me it is gross or wrong but I don't care, I'm already perversely satisfied by the mere thought of it.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #7206 on: December 20, 2019, 12:43:04 PM »
Feeling pretty justified in my liking trucks narrower than my board after listening to the Paul Schmitt Nine Club.

I am going to put a v-hollow 5.2 hanger on a cast plate and put it on an 8.38" board. You can tell me it is gross or wrong but I don't care, I'm already perversely satisfied by the mere thought of it.

What did he say about that? Saw some highlights but don't have time to go through the whole thing.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #7207 on: December 20, 2019, 12:46:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What did he say about that? Saw some highlights but don't have time to go through the whole thing.

He said that a board being wider than the trucks provides better leverage for flip tricks.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7208 on: December 20, 2019, 02:18:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

He said that a board being wider than the trucks provides better leverage for flip tricks.

Yeah that sounds about right. I like having a wider truck for the grinding space though, would you say the added benefit for flip tricks is major? Say if you were skating an 8.38 and went from 8.5 to 8.25 trucks.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #7209 on: December 20, 2019, 03:00:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah that sounds about right. I like having a wider truck for the grinding space though, would you say the added benefit for flip tricks is major? Say if you were skating an 8.38 and went from 8.5 to 8.25 trucks.

If I go narrower with trucks, it has very little effect on my ability to grind. But wider trucks have a detrimental effect on my ability to flip my board. Flip tricks do not come naturally to me and take a ton of effort, so every little bit helps.

I am also not going to claim that this is anything beyond my preference or some weird placebo. But hearing him say that justifies a preference that I have that goes against the conventional wisdom that I've absorbed over the years.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7210 on: December 20, 2019, 03:08:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

If I go narrower with trucks, it has very little effect on my ability to grind. But wider trucks have a detrimental effect on my ability to flip my board. Flip tricks do not come naturally to me and take a ton of effort, so every little bit helps.

I am also not going to claim that this is anything beyond my preference or some weird placebo. But hearing him say that justifies a preference that I have that goes against the conventional wisdom that I've absorbed over the years.

Interesting. Something to keep in mind the next time I switch it up. Thanks!

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7211 on: December 20, 2019, 05:07:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Speaking of ATG I'm really curious about some but here I can only find 5.5 (8.25 axle if I remember well).
Wonder how it would work on 8.5. Should be decent
[close]

Do you have to ride an 8.5? 8.375s with 8.25" trucks work great. Awesome trucks.
Yup 8.5, when I sized up I was with 139's for a little while and even though it looked like crap it worked pretty good so I'm guessing (hoping) that 8.25 will be ok. For sure I'm good with trucks for quite a while. Currently skating Krux which are almost new, got my old 149, some 44 and the 5.5
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #7212 on: December 20, 2019, 10:31:36 PM »
Overhang helps with some tricks like nollie heels for example....but if you have em...you have em....

You definitely have more leverage though....

Wider boards and kickflips...does having more surface area when flicking actually help? 

I think a lot of this shit comes down to how you do a trick and what's comfortable...

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #7213 on: December 20, 2019, 10:35:44 PM »
Put some new bones hards in my Indys. First set in more than half a decade probably. Been on Indy aftermarkets these last handful of years. They feel just as good as I remembered them feeling, but I had to stop skating bones cuz they would wear out and break so easily, especially the plastic core. Hopefully this set lasts longer than they used to.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7214 on: December 20, 2019, 11:13:05 PM »

The cast plate, and on ventures especially, just ‘feels’ a lot better. Kinda hate myself for being so weird about the feel of some things. Annoying.
But hi’s or lo’s tho? 8.38 is a pretty nice board width. I used to hate cuz it seemed like I only tried bbs boards and a lot of their 8.38s had mega ramp wb (anything above 14.25 and I really bitch and moan).
The board overhang allows a much deeper turn before wheelbite. I’ve seen it somewhere written that .125ish over is the good ratio, ala 7.6 trucks, 775 board, or more recently the 8” trucks and 8.125” board. Absolutely makes you feel like you have more leverage and a faster flip. The baker guys seemed to run this kit (I will forever be interested in what my skate hero’s actually ride): wider board than trucks. Hard to tell from pictures tho. Wider trucks than board just looks cool.

Dirtjers, I should have followed that path with 148s, I could easily see myself riding boards 8-8.5” (hard for me to really think I ‘should’ ride something outside of those window) on that size. I’ve been annoyed that I wasn’t able to keep tricks as the trends moved to 8.5” trucks.

Lots of blah blah here from me. Wide feels good. Until I try and do a trick.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7215 on: December 20, 2019, 11:47:54 PM »
Better all round truck - Ace 55 or 159?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7216 on: December 20, 2019, 11:59:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The cast plate, and on ventures especially, just ‘feels’ a lot better. Kinda hate myself for being so weird about the feel of some things. Annoying.
But hi’s or lo’s tho? 8.38 is a pretty nice board width. I used to hate cuz it seemed like I only tried bbs boards and a lot of their 8.38s had mega ramp wb (anything above 14.25 and I really bitch and moan).
The board overhang allows a much deeper turn before wheelbite. I’ve seen it somewhere written that .125ish over is the good ratio, ala 7.6 trucks, 775 board, or more recently the 8” trucks and 8.125” board. Absolutely makes you feel like you have more leverage and a faster flip. The baker guys seemed to run this kit (I will forever be interested in what my skate hero’s actually ride): wider board than trucks. Hard to tell from pictures tho. Wider trucks than board just looks cool.

Dirtjers, I should have followed that path with 148s, I could easily see myself riding boards 8-8.5” (hard for me to really think I ‘should’ ride something outside of those window) on that size. I’ve been annoyed that I wasn’t able to keep tricks as the trends moved to 8.5” trucks.

Whats the reason behind the board overhang allowing a deeper turn before wheelbite? If anything I thought that wider trucks should allowed that since there should be more space between wheel and board due to the concave at the edge. I'm probably not considering something.

A lot of people seem to dislike the forged plates. On Ventures I can understand a bit more since they apparently extend your wheelbase more when even cast Ventures already extend them more than any other truck. I personally prefer the reduced weight and lower height of forged plates. But height and weight aside, do they really feel that much different? Haven't done a side by side comparison before, but I've never noticed forged plates feeling tinny or whatever many people say here. Also seems like the mounting holes oval out more on cast plates.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #7217 on: December 21, 2019, 08:11:41 AM »
For me it's partially an aesthetic thing, but also that it feels like there is better baseplate contact on noseslides and that the positioning of the forged makes switching out trucks a pain in the ass.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7218 on: December 21, 2019, 08:23:48 AM »
Yeah forged just feel cheaper, I like the extra height on my thunders and because I put in krux kingpins....

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #7219 on: December 21, 2019, 08:29:24 AM »
I liked the forged on Indy and ran that for a few years but on any other truck I want cast

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7220 on: December 21, 2019, 11:24:52 AM »
Better all round truck - Ace 55 or 159?

Haven’t had 55s.
Have old 159s, still stage 11 tho. Baseplate warped, don’t care. Only Indy’s I have that I don’t want to give away. I’m also not sure what the advantages are of riding a wider that 8.75 truck. Or the penalties seem more severe (lot harder to flip)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7221 on: December 21, 2019, 11:38:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Whats the reason behind the board overhang allowing a deeper turn before wheelbite? If anything I thought that wider trucks should allowed that since there should be more space between wheel and board due to the concave at the edge. I'm probably not considering something.

A lot of people seem to dislike the forged plates. On Ventures I can understand a bit more since they apparently extend your wheelbase more when even cast Ventures already extend them more than any other truck. I personally prefer the reduced weight and lower height of forged plates. But height and weight aside, do they really feel that much different? Haven't done a side by side comparison before, but I've never noticed forged plates feeling tinny or whatever many people say here. Also seems like the mounting holes oval out more on cast plates.

Please someone correct me if I’m wrong, but narrower trucks tuck the wheels in, the board has much more room to tilt before the deck touches the wheels. I thought that’s why lots of rail skaters used the wider truck, easier pinch, which is also about wheelbite.

Forged plates. I like light shit. I had one of the best setups/days of my skate life on a board that had those horrible spitfire hollow wheels, feedback from the vibrations in the street drives me nuts (already nutter), the sounds the board makes are disgusting, when using cast plates. Easier wheelbite. I have one set of venture hi’s, in 5.0, which are fucking ridiculous looking. Fun to skate tho. Those ones are ok, the thunders I have are nice and light, but 147s and I tap out if the wheel is 51mm or above. Indy’s are ok, just not my fave. Venture lo’s feel dramatically better to me cast (sidenote cast venture 5.0s are hilariously heavy feeling, doesn’t matter). Hollow trucks also feel weird on chunky ledges. Heavier truck powers thru.
I’m happy to be proven wrong.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7222 on: December 21, 2019, 12:35:27 PM »
I see, seems to all be related to the perceived feeling of 'solidness' for lack of a better way to put it. Though I'm quite liking my Venture Tis with forged plates so I'm gonna try unread all of that to prevent it messing with my head lol

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7223 on: December 21, 2019, 12:44:23 PM »
I see, seems to all be related to the perceived feeling of 'solidness' for lack of a better way to put it. Though I'm quite liking my Venture Tis with forged plates so I'm gonna try unread all of that to prevent it messing with my head lol

Please please do.
Yes it’s all about a ‘feel’ aka gibberish.
Once you have something you like, roll with that, the cascade of consequences (dramatic) of changing a piece of the set up aren’t worth it imo.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7224 on: December 22, 2019, 12:02:47 PM »
I was talking with my friend today who's a material tech engineer and he told he'd been surfin' the interwebs and came across the Ace website where they apparently list some details of what alloy they use. He said it's a completely different alloy than what other trucks are made of. I think it was aluminum with zinc while the others are aluminum with silicone. He said that the alloy that Ace uses is just as hard as the alloy the others use but doesn't require the heat treatment step to harden it to be as strong. Making the process faster and more efficient. The alloy Ace uses can also be hardened to make it stronger but he was guessing it could possibly make it more brittle or something like that. Maybe this is what Joey T was talking about with the new Aces and it was misinterpreted as the whole truck being forged. Dunno but I found this very interesting and we nerded over truck materials at the local skate shop for a while until some pesky customers interrupted our chat.  :D

I can ask him more about it later on. Dunno if this also makes Aces grind differently or if it has something to do with them being sorta heavy and the round barrel design around the axle. Anyway, just thought ppl here might be interested in this sorta nerdery. 🤓

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7225 on: December 22, 2019, 12:13:04 PM »
There is a 'tinny' sort of feeling to forged plates, especially when you pair them with hard wheels (especially bones); I like it.

I just swapped some regular stfs for 101 F4s and it totally deadened the feel and sound of my board (AHero+Tensor Mags); it made it feel thunky instead of crispy.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7226 on: December 22, 2019, 12:47:38 PM »
I was talking with my friend today who's a material tech engineer and he told he'd been surfin' the interwebs and came across the Ace website where they apparently list some details of what alloy they use. He said it's a completely different alloy than what other trucks are made of. I think it was aluminum with zinc while the others are aluminum with silicone. He said that the alloy that Ace uses is just as hard as the alloy the others use but doesn't require the heat treatment step to harden it to be as strong. Making the process faster and more efficient. The alloy Ace uses can also be hardened to make it stronger but he was guessing it could possibly make it more brittle or something like that. Maybe this is what Joey T was talking about with the new Aces and it was misinterpreted as the whole truck being forged. Dunno but I found this very interesting and we nerded over truck materials at the local skate shop for a while until some pesky customers interrupted our chat.  :D

I can ask him more about it later on. Dunno if this also makes Aces grind differently or if it has something to do with them being sorta heavy and the round barrel design around the axle. Anyway, just thought ppl here might be interested in this sorta nerdery. 🤓
Can't wait for more nerdery
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7227 on: December 22, 2019, 01:57:47 PM »

Indy/Ermico are 356 alloy. I feel like this is standard for any good truck, think I recently read Tracker was using it in '79. Ermico uses T6 heat-treat. Did they use T4 in the 90's? I recall that for some reason. Anyhow.. T4 is what a lower-end (regular) cylinder head would use, T6 would be for performance/race stuff. I think some (most?) heads use 356 alloy too but not sure..
I think Ace uses 7071 alloy, I vaguely recall seeing that in an ad or something. I don't remember if it said anything about heat-treat.
Iirc, heat-treat softens the aluminum, increases ductility and reduces chances of cracking. (I remember it as aluminum softens with heat and hardens with work, please correct me if I'm wrong) Personally I think the main purpose is to soften the hanger for smoother grinds. Harder would clatter more, Tracker Aggro's with silicon alloy sucked..
Newer Indy axles are 4140 chromoly steel. Idr what the old stuff or Ace's use. Older Indy axle info is in the Stage chart from the Indy book.

Forged hangers would be really tough to do. Are axles cast into the hanger? I guess it could be done with a die but idk. Ace with an industry first? Idk

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7228 on: December 22, 2019, 02:21:56 PM »
The consensus is Aces's grind quite well....I've always thought they were just plain softer....I think they grind down quickly though and they don't have a ton of meat in them like an Indy....

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7229 on: December 22, 2019, 02:39:06 PM »
https://shop.acetrucks.com/products/ace-trucks-33-polished
Constructed from pure 7071 series aluminum
Heat treated 3056 series steel axles
I'm guessing this is sloppy wording and that the hanger is heat treated. Cuz I see no point in heat treating the axles and then casting them into the hangers...

Yeah. 7071 might play well with concrete. Anyone wanna geek out on the elemental analysis of it and 356?
Coefficient of friction for waxed concrete?
Gimme Rockwell hardnesses and fatigue info too please
Wear rates..

Btw, looked up car stuff and it's A356. Didn't read further to see what the differences are.