Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1229128 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7170 on: December 18, 2019, 02:50:26 PM »
How much do venture 6.1 extend wheelbase? 
I saw that the lights w forged plates extend 3.5" but how much less do the cast extend?

edit: shit just found this post from august
I measured all my trucks on the same board.  The V-light's extend the wheelbase by 3/8" over cast.  Cast extend .125 more than Thunder 148 Ti, which are .25 over Indy forged hollows.

As for the difference I really only noticed on the V-lights. Anecdotally the Venture cast feel more like an Indy than a Thunder.
someone make a damn chart before I go nuts on 1/8" differences. is this wrong info or do all forged plates change the wb compared to the cast?

Thunder Deck wheelbase +3.1875"
Venture (w forged plates) Deck wheelbase +3.5"
Venture (cast) +3.25" ? But that's .125" over thunder, and only 0.25" less than the forged, not 0.375" as mentioned above
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 03:12:39 PM by jay_nev »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7171 on: December 18, 2019, 03:00:18 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m riding Venture 5.2’s with a 7.875 deck, but I’m wanting to size down to 7.75 and go back to thunders. Would y’all recommend 145’s or 147’s?
[close]

That's interesting. I moved up from a 7.75 to a 7.875 to rock 8" trucks. I would just go for 145s.

I went with the 147, I think it gives more flexibility if you want to ride bigger boards in the future. From personal experience going down to a 7.75 was not fun, couldn't get used to the smaller width after doing 8"-ish sizes.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7172 on: December 18, 2019, 03:24:36 PM »
I saw that the lights w forged plates extend 3.5" but how much less do the cast extend?

Expand Quote
I measured all my trucks on the same board.  The V-light's extend the wheelbase by 3/8" over cast.  Cast extend .125 more than Thunder 148 Ti, which are .25 over Indy forged hollows.

As for the difference I really only noticed on the V-lights. Anecdotally the Venture cast feel more like an Indy than a Thunder.
[close]
someone make a damn chart before I go nuts on 1/8" differences. is this wrong info or do all forged plates change the wb compared to the cast?

Venture (cast) +3.25" ? But that's .125" over thunder, and only 0.25" less than the forged, not 0.375" as mentioned above

Just Venture. Indy and Thunder have the same wb on cast and forged plates. I have some Venture cast on the way and I'm going to update my original post to reflect the difference between Venture cast and forged. From the pics posted earlier in the thread it doesn't look over 1/8" in difference.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #7173 on: December 18, 2019, 03:28:47 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Just Venture. Indy and Thunder have the same wb on cast and forged plates. I have some Venture cast on the way and I'm going to update my original post to reflect the difference between Venture cast and forged. From the pics posted earlier in the thread it doesn't look over 1/8" in difference.
Appreciated. I'll keep an eye out for that.

nachodaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #7174 on: December 18, 2019, 03:30:58 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m riding Venture 5.2’s with a 7.875 deck, but I’m wanting to size down to 7.75 and go back to thunders. Would y’all recommend 145’s or 147’s?
[close]

That's interesting. I moved up from a 7.75 to a 7.875 to rock 8" trucks. I would just go for 145s.

I have Venture 5.2’s, Tensor Mag Lights 8.125”, and Thunder Titanium lights 148’s, so might as well add a 7.6” set to the collection.

lysdexia

• Rep: 4
« Reply #7175 on: December 18, 2019, 03:31:03 PM »

147s for sure.  when i was still on 7.75s a few years ago, i stepped my 7.5" destructos up to 147 thunders.  my immediate reaction was 'why the fuck was i skating such narrow trucks for so long?', it felt so much more stable.

nachodaddy

« Reply #7176 on: December 18, 2019, 03:34:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I went with the 147, I think it gives more flexibility if you want to ride bigger boards in the future. From personal experience going down to a 7.75 was not fun, couldn't get used to the smaller width after doing 8"-ish sizes.

It might just be the fact that I always get high af before I skate, but my 7.7875 has been feeling huge lately. Do any of you feel a difference between skating trucks that are thinner vs wider than your deck width? That’s the main dilemma between choosing the 7.6” vs 8.0” trucks.

nachodaddy

« Reply #7177 on: December 18, 2019, 03:36:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

147s for sure.  when i was still on 7.75s a few years ago, i stepped my 7.5" destructos up to 147 thunders.  my immediate reaction was 'why the fuck was i skating such narrow trucks for so long?', it felt so much more stable.

Good to see you tried it out. I wanted to try narrower trucks since they’ll be easier to flip around, but the stability on manuals and grinds might suffer then. Maybe I’ll just get a 7.75 and try skating them with my 5.2 Ventures to see how I like it before buying smaller trucks.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 03:39:22 PM by nachodaddy »

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7178 on: December 18, 2019, 07:42:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Crazy madness happening right now, have had a set of V-Lights 5.8 for a while now and haven't set them up in fear I'll hate them. Anyone have any experience skating Ventures in tranny? I'm injured otherwise I would just set them up and skate. I want to feel this magical pop others speak about but I skate 75% transition so I'm not sure its worth the switch from my Aces/Indys.

Or would I be better trying out Thunders? I skate 56mm and know they have wheelbite issues.
[close]

Pipe or bowls? Park 'transition' as in flow and different tranny sized obstacles?

At 75% transition Ventures are not what you are looking for. They can work but you will miss that indy/ace feeling.

Would Thunders be better for me to try then? Or would I run into the same issues? 

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7179 on: December 18, 2019, 09:55:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Crazy madness happening right now, have had a set of V-Lights 5.8 for a while now and haven't set them up in fear I'll hate them. Anyone have any experience skating Ventures in tranny? I'm injured otherwise I would just set them up and skate. I want to feel this magical pop others speak about but I skate 75% transition so I'm not sure its worth the switch from my Aces/Indys.

Or would I be better trying out Thunders? I skate 56mm and know they have wheelbite issues.
[close]

Pipe or bowls? Park 'transition' as in flow and different tranny sized obstacles?

At 75% transition Ventures are not what you are looking for. They can work but you will miss that indy/ace feeling.
[close]

Would Thunders be better for me to try then? Or would I run into the same issues?

team edition thunders would be your best bet to avoid wheelbite since the baseplate is 1mm higher. really depends on how loose you ride them but i love the pop i get with thunder geometry. takes a little more effort but it feels crisp when you get used to it. i learned all my transition basics on thunders and havent been disappointed when i rode the right size

edit: 1.5 mm
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 10:34:45 PM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #7180 on: December 18, 2019, 10:01:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

team edition thunders would be your best bet to avoid wheelbite since the baseplate is 1mm higher. really depends on how loose you ride them but i love the pop i get with thunder geometry. takes a little more effort but it feels crisp when you get used to it. i learned all my transition basics on thunders and havent been disappointed when i rode the right size
team thunders are actually lower

edit: according to the official site, they're higher, but tactics claims otherwise
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 10:06:36 PM by anon »

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7181 on: December 18, 2019, 10:12:34 PM »

edit: according to the official site, they're higher, but tactics claims otherwise

Tactics' measurements are all over the place for trucks. 'Team' edition is another word for cast, which is taller than Thunder light (forged plates) by 1.5mm. That's why when you buy completely standard Thunders you get either "Team," the lightning bolt, or the lines on the baseplate, all interchangeable (this info is right from Reed at DLX).

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7182 on: December 18, 2019, 10:35:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tactics' measurements are all over the place for trucks. 'Team' edition is another word for cast, which is taller than Thunder light (forged plates) by 1.5mm. That's why when you buy completely standard Thunders you get either "Team," the lightning bolt, or the lines on the baseplate, all interchangeable (this info is right from Reed at DLX).

any link on that info? and yeah teams are taller
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7183 on: December 18, 2019, 10:59:51 PM »
Pulled the trigger on Hollow Team 149's, I know in the past I've hated how the stock bushings feel on other setups - what is the best thing to replace them with? I heard the white supercush are what I'm after.

Do ace bushings fit?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 11:08:56 PM by texasplant »

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7184 on: December 18, 2019, 11:01:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

any link on that info? and yeah teams are taller

Bottom of the page,

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=86135.msg2344235#msg2344235
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:25:46 AM by palelight »

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #7185 on: December 19, 2019, 01:33:48 AM »
Pulled the trigger on Hollow Team 149's, I know in the past I've hated how the stock bushings feel on other setups - what is the best thing to replace them with? I heard the white supercush are what I'm after.

Do ace bushings fit?

Stock Thunder bushings work. If your switching from Indy the trucks are going to feel odd regardless. Don't change too many things at once or you'll never get out of the madness.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7186 on: December 19, 2019, 01:44:55 AM »
Expand Quote

Do ace bushings fit?
[close]

Stock Thunder bushings work. If your switching from Indy the trucks are going to feel odd regardless. Don't change too many things at once or you'll never get out of the madness.

This. But to answer your question, people often say the white Thunder bushings are 'the best.' Whether that's true is very debatable. All Thunder bushings are stock 90d, but have come in many different colours over the years. It's the same urethane with different dye added to it.

Keep em stock and give them a chance.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #7187 on: December 19, 2019, 02:21:51 AM »
Currently on a set of teams and they are taller with the cast plate.
Gave the stock bushings a chance but ended up putting in the aftermarket thunder ones

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #7188 on: December 19, 2019, 05:59:36 AM »
I really liked the stock thunder bushings. I liked them then put bones in thinking I’d like it even more and hated them. Give stock thunder bushings a chance.

freeclout

• Rep: -2
« Reply #7189 on: December 19, 2019, 06:29:57 AM »
I really liked the stock thunder bushings. I liked them then put bones in thinking I’d like it even more and hated them. Give stock thunder bushings a chance.

I've just picked up some thunders after years of venture. Using hard bones in my ventures and like them a lot. What would be best option in thunders, guess the stock will be far too soft for me.

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
« Reply #7190 on: December 19, 2019, 06:39:14 AM »
For what it's worth, I was a longtime Indy guy who was going through extreme truck madness earlier this year.. couldn't get anything to feel right. Never thought I'd skate Thunders, for whatever reason, but said fuck it and got a set of 148 Team Hollows back in August. Been skating them ever since, never needed to tighten or loosen them once... let alone add any new pieces or replace anything. Very low maintenance truck and I would really recommend trying them stock.. it's also worth mentioning that from the stuff I've read on here modifying them seems a little tougher than Indy's (most replacement parts seem to be designed with Indy in mind).

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #7191 on: December 19, 2019, 07:33:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've just picked up some thunders after years of venture. Using hard bones in my ventures and like them a lot. What would be best option in thunders, guess the stock will be far too soft for me.

I’m a bigger dude. (6’1 225)  and stock was okay with me. But if you like harder or tighter bushings maybe get the thunder brand harder bushings. I loved bones in Indy’s I had. But I think I red on here that the bushing sizes are slightly different so they fit different in thunders. I’m sure someone else knows more and can explain better than I can. But I think that may be my issue I had was they didn’t sit right and I ended up cracking them after a few months and put stock tops back in and kept the bottom bones in and it was okay but didn’t feel as good as stocks. Give stock a couple sessions and then see if you want to change them up maybe?

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #7192 on: December 19, 2019, 10:04:31 AM »
i just wanted to throw out another rec. for flat washers on top with thunders, that's been suggested here before and i concur.

with the stock bushings/washers, the top curved washer was binding on the hanger. the flat washer allows for a slightly deeper uninterrupted turn. look for bitting/scaring in the hanger, no scaring from the curved washer or if you ride tight trucks, then you probably don't need flat washers.

never had that problem on indy's.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #7193 on: December 19, 2019, 10:25:31 AM »
i just wanted to throw out another rec. for flat washers on top with thunders, that's been suggested here before and i concur.

with the stock bushings/washers, the top curved washer was binding on the hanger. the flat washer allows for a slightly deeper uninterrupted turn. look for bitting/scaring in the hanger, no scaring from the curved washer or if you ride tight trucks, then you probably don't need flat washers.

Excellent advice, more so with ventures. I can get a deep turn with ventures with no top, or flat top washer

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #7194 on: December 19, 2019, 10:39:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Excellent advice, more so with ventures. I can get a deep turn with ventures with no top, or flat top washer

good to know, haven't ridden them since the '90s. interested in trying the 6.1's when they do hollows.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7195 on: December 19, 2019, 10:49:10 AM »

Stage 10s used to do that. I does have the benefit of reducing wheelbite.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7196 on: December 19, 2019, 11:21:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

good to know, haven't ridden them since the '90s. interested in trying the 6.1's when they do hollows.

Tensor ATG also bind, just like Ventures.

I've been using the bones washers on everything I ride of late, top and bottom - I ride loose.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7197 on: December 19, 2019, 01:24:25 PM »
Speaking of ATG I'm really curious about some but here I can only find 5.5 (8.25 axle if I remember well).
Wonder how it would work on 8.5. Should be decent
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #7198 on: December 19, 2019, 01:27:08 PM »
For what it's worth, I was a longtime Indy guy who was going through extreme truck madness earlier this year.. couldn't get anything to feel right. Never thought I'd skate Thunders, for whatever reason, but said fuck it and got a set of 148 Team Hollows back in August. Been skating them ever since, never needed to tighten or loosen them once... let alone add any new pieces or replace anything. Very low maintenance truck and I would really recommend trying them stock.. it's also worth mentioning that from the stuff I've read on here modifying them seems a little tougher than Indy's (most replacement parts seem to be designed with Indy in mind).

Bought some team thunders, in part due to your accurate recommendation. What size Indy’s were you riding before?

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
« Reply #7199 on: December 20, 2019, 06:20:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bought some team thunders, in part due to your accurate recommendation. What size Indy’s were you riding before?

Word! How have they been treating you? I kind of can't believe how stoked I've been on them.. a breath of fresh air after constantly tweaking Indys. I'll always have a soft spot for Indy, it's like the ex you shouldn't go back to but for some reason catch yourself thinking about. Thunders just seem to make a little more sense for me.

I was a 149 guy for years, and as stage 10's got harder to find I would skate 139's if I found them on ebay. My last set of Indy's were stage 11's so I opted for the 144, just because I never had that option before. That size seemed real good despite me not loving stage 11. Kind of get the crooked grind of the 149 and the turn of the 139 all at once.

I strictly skated 8.25 for the longest but as I've become more flexible going up in board sizes ( a bunch of 8.5's lately), I'd probably not go any lower than 148 Thunder or 144 Indy again.... even though if hard pressed I'd say my favorite combo was 8.25/139