Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1225820 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7620 on: January 23, 2020, 10:30:41 AM »
Went ahead and ordered the red soft Indy bushings. Been riding stock orange for like 5 years. Not too much skating in that time besides bursts of a couple months at a time but the top bushings are done. I like a looser ride nowadays so I hope these will help me get that feel.

88a vs 90a isn't that big of deal to be honest...conical vs barrel would tho.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #7621 on: January 23, 2020, 10:32:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Went ahead and ordered the red soft Indy bushings. Been riding stock orange for like 5 years. Not too much skating in that time besides bursts of a couple months at a time but the top bushings are done. I like a looser ride nowadays so I hope these will help me get that feel.
[close]

cool thanks! I tried conical on thunders and hated it. Felt like a balancing act.

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #7622 on: January 23, 2020, 10:35:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I am running 92a barrel in my 159s and am looking to soften it up a little.  I have both 90a barrel and 92a conical in my cart to try.    It may be futile, but I am trying to get a bit more of an Ace like turn.  I am running 66s on a bigger setup may pick up some new 8.75 Ace when they come out in the spring - but I don't want to buy a set of 55s now.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 853
« Reply #7623 on: January 23, 2020, 10:47:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I am running 92a barrel in my 159s and am looking to soften it up a little.  I have both 90a barrel and 92a conical in my cart to try.    It may be futile, but I am trying to get a bit more of an Ace like turn.  I am running 66s on a bigger setup may pick up some new 8.75 Ace when they come out in the spring - but I don't want to buy a set of 55s now.

If you want a more Ace like turn why not try Ace bushings? For Indys you have to either order the ace low or shave down the top one a bit to make them fit, but they might be exactly what you want in terms of a little softer than 92a indy barrels. I've got the lows in a set of 149 hollows and like them better than the 88a red aftermarket indy ones.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7624 on: January 23, 2020, 11:20:46 AM »
I'm still curious about trying some Venture 5.2 Lows.

Right now I have hollow indy 139's (standards) on on a 14.25" wb deck with standard seeming fingers of flat - about 2 - before the kicks.

So to replicate the axle to axle wheelbase and maintain a good manual point I should look for a 14" wb deck with 2 fingers of flat? This sound right? This is according to Ben Degros vids. Thanks Ben if you read this!

I do a lot of manuals. Should I just get the 5.2 High's? I was thinking flip tricks might be fun on a lower board.

Some will discredit your attempt to replicate, but I get what you are trying to do and yes, your plan will work.

14" WB with Ventures is really nice. 14" for me is pretty short (I prefer 14.25/.35/.44 fuck you decimals) but my manual point is spot on with the HIs (being 53.5).

49mm if I recall correctly on the lows? That's fucking low, and need small wheels...but if manuals and flips (and ledges) is you game I'd say go for it. I rode 49mm ML with 51mm wheels on an 8.3" deck (14.25"WB) and it was crazy fun. I prefer low and wide when streetskating (does NOT translate well to a park setting for transition skating for me tho)

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #7625 on: January 23, 2020, 12:01:26 PM »
Expand Quote

Right now I have hollow indy 139's (standards) on on a 14.25" wb deck with standard seeming fingers of flat - about 2 - before the kicks.

So to replicate the axle to axle wheelbase and maintain a good manual point I should look for a 14" wb deck with 2 fingers of flat? This sound right? This is according to Ben Degros vids. Thanks Ben if you read this!

I do a lot of manuals. Should I just get the 5.2 High's? I was thinking flip tricks might be fun on a lower board.
[close]

Some will discredit your attempt to replicate, but I get what you are trying to do and yes, your plan will work.

14" WB with Ventures is really nice. 14" for me is pretty short (I prefer 14.25/.35/.44 fuck you decimals) but my manual point is spot on with the HIs (being 53.5).

49mm if I recall correctly on the lows? That's fucking low, and need small wheels...but if manuals and flips (and ledges) is you game I'd say go for it. I rode 49mm ML with 51mm wheels on an 8.3" deck (14.25"WB) and it was crazy fun. I prefer low and wide when streetskating (does NOT translate well to a park setting for transition skating for me tho)

Well now I'm considering some Thunder 148's. They are 52.3mm tall (my indy's are 55). That way they are a little lower but not as low as Venture Low. I feel like 8.25 is more versatile than 8 anyway. Thunders also add less to the wheelbase length so I might be able to stick with my 14.25. They also turn better according to many? Who knows...
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7626 on: January 23, 2020, 12:27:29 PM »
I tried the Indy aftermarket Red soft bottom with the Blue med hard top to try and replicate ACE stock bottom with low tops. They work great but ACE is still better.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7627 on: January 23, 2020, 12:30:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Well now I'm considering some Thunder 148's. They are 52.3mm tall (my indy's are 55). That way they are a little lower but not as low as Venture Low. I feel like 8.25 is more versatile than 8 anyway. Thunders also add less to the wheelbase length so I might be able to stick with my 14.25. They also turn better according to many? Who knows...

thunder cast has a shorter axle to axle wb than thunder forged. ive measured a 3.25 for thunder forged every time
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7628 on: January 23, 2020, 01:06:19 PM »

i felt that lower trucks really only helped me out with like switching grinds and flipping the board little bit faster.

(Im talking from a thunder pov tho im new to modern venture)

I feel having the higher truck makes it a little bit easier to nose/fakie manny vs lows where i struggle with regs nose mannys.

Ben rules

"Washed up 90s pros" lol. I Remember
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #7629 on: January 23, 2020, 01:13:10 PM »
Venture lows helped me learn switch flip tricks SO much easier than when I was on Indys.
I feel like the stability of Ventures, for tricks, is underrated. The turn is different for sure, but for flip tricks, I think Ventures are the best.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7630 on: January 23, 2020, 01:28:54 PM »
If you want a more Ace like turn why not try Ace bushings?

I don't have Ace bushings in my Ace. They popped off the bottom washer just doing some garage ollies at stock tightness.  I put them back in and it happened again.  After the third time I took them out and replaced them with some Mini Logo mediums that I had on the workbench.   

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7631 on: January 23, 2020, 01:38:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I prefer Thunders over Ventures for everything you've listed.  Suggest TEAM plates tho, even if you were to run Titaniums. Thunder just fucking WB no matter what..If you believe the marketing they started making TEAM everything because of it Pros wanting better clearance/less wheel bite)...cuz you know, dat 1mm ;) Also, I'm guessing cast is cheaper than forged?

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #7632 on: January 23, 2020, 03:56:47 PM »
Expand Quote
If you want a more Ace like turn why not try Ace bushings?
[close]

I don't have Ace bushings in my Ace. They popped off the bottom washer just doing some garage ollies at stock tightness.  I put them back in and it happened again.  After the third time I took them out and replaced them with some Mini Logo mediums that I had on the workbench.

Same thing happpened tome on stock bushings. Swapped out with bones and then went back to Venture after 2 sessions.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 853
« Reply #7633 on: January 23, 2020, 04:14:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think the lows are 47.5 but don't quote me on that. Fairly sure they're a bit lower than ML though. I tried 5.2 lo v-hollows and didn't really get along with them in stock configuration, but after putting them on a .1" riser to make a kind of homebrew "venture mid" and swapping to softer bushings I started to really enjoy them. I rode 53mm without wheel bite issues but I also ride my trucks fairly tight so ymmv.

I can't skate 8" decks for very long before my flintstone feet start to piss me off but when I do that's the setup I use 90% of the time. I have indy 139s on a mellow 8" deck as kind of a "throwback" setup but I've never really been able to accomplish much on it.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7634 on: January 23, 2020, 04:45:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

thunder cast has a shorter axle to axle wb than thunder forged. ive measured a 3.25 for thunder forged every time

At the expense of sounding like a moron how do you tell the difference in cast vs forged? I know forged ones are supposed to be thinner since they are hammered down to be shaped into a mold vs hot metal poured into a mold.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7635 on: January 23, 2020, 06:01:54 PM »

At the expense of sounding like a moron how do you tell the difference in cast vs forged? I know forged ones are supposed to be thinner since they are hammered down to be shaped into a mold vs hot metal poured into a mold.

Forged have a totally smooth surface. No casting marks at all like normal hangers/plates. Forged plates usually have a intricate design stamp on the bottom of the basplate as well: Indy= huge ironcross logo, Venture = interlocking v design, Thunder = grenade logo?....I think, never owned forged Thunders. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 08:00:05 PM by palelight »

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7636 on: January 23, 2020, 09:38:20 PM »
via Imgflip Meme Generator

my sweet pea. They are 21 years younger than i. I got to help take care of her every day.

We are legacy in fuckin punk ked.
I forgot to reply to this
She looks way more punk than that bam board would have lead me to believe :P
Keep on rockin!

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #7637 on: January 23, 2020, 11:24:24 PM »
Tried some 8 inch ventures coming from 8.5 ventures on my 8.25 board. Was hoping that they'd help with flip tricks but the difference isn't very noticeable.

Maybe helps a little bit with some flip tricks if we're really splitting hairs, but honestly it messed with a few of them too because I like to lean my trucks for things like backside flips, switch heels etc and the smaller trucks got wheelbite or made me fall off easier than on a wider truck.

It did turn noticeably sharper though so that was quite nice, but was kinda countered by the fact that I had to run them a bit tighter to make them feel more stable. I think I can see why some people say it helps with flatground, but personally the marginal benefit wasn't worth the reduction in stability and grinding space, which was very noticeable on chunkier ledges and round rails.

Maybe 8.25 trucks could be a good middle ground, but if its between 8 and 8.5 on an 8.25 deck, I'd much rather stick with 8.5 for now.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7638 on: January 24, 2020, 02:40:24 AM »
About to give Ace another chance, I must admit I'm terrified
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7639 on: January 24, 2020, 03:27:00 AM »
for someone who has been ditching the deckside washer for a minute due to bones having one built in, i was a fool. i had my best session in recent memory today and i really am thanking that little piece of metal. never realized what it does for stability until i got it back.

me, tipping the scale at 200lbs and with a shitty center of gravity at 6'5", i would always be pissed off at how centered i had to be setting up for any trick. took a second to mess with my trucks and i finally solved it without killing my preferred turn.

thunder 151 hollow light
bones flat washer and thunder bushing 90a (roadside)
ace bushing 86a and ace stock washer (deckside)

once i broke in the ace bushing my mind was blown. the truck turns like a carvy thunder and the washer definitely limits the range of motion. my toes have to be on the ground to wheelbite my 52s yet i can get the thunder turn with the standard amount of lean. weaving thru nyc traffic and sidewalks was just as easy as before.

when setting up tricks, the barrel deckside bushing gives more of a deadzone to mess around with. the washer keeps the results consistent. if i lean too much while setting up on stock thunders, i lose control and cant focus on the trick as much. my flatground game is a work in progress and this helped me so much today. messing with the bushings to fine tune things was a great investment of 5 minutes and would highly suggest experimenting with yours if you have stability issues.

how is the QC on ace bushings? i can see signs of stress already and they only broke in today. who makes durable bushings? i dont want to jinx it but realistically will need to replace them soon
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7640 on: January 24, 2020, 04:52:49 AM »

I just tighten them a little and the fat chick with tight clothes syndrome happened
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7641 on: January 24, 2020, 05:48:12 AM »

I just tighten them a little and the fat chick with tight clothes syndrome happened

That can't be the stock bottom washer? I've never tightened them on my recent (current stage) 44s and never had that happen.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #7642 on: January 24, 2020, 06:20:39 AM »
Too much thread above the nut. Unsightly.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7643 on: January 24, 2020, 06:23:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That can't be the stock bottom washer? I've never tightened them on my recent (current stage) 44s and never had that happen.
Stock bottom washer, never happened with any other truck
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #7644 on: January 24, 2020, 07:20:28 AM »

Or fat dude.
That’s not ‘a little’ tight.
I’ve never had this, and I’ve had 3 sets of ace, but many people have claimed it (bushings hopping over the edge), supposedly without tightening.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7645 on: January 24, 2020, 07:46:59 AM »

Boardside bushing happened to me at stock tightness with 66s. I am 180 lbs

Also happened with Krux 8.5

Every other truck I have had (a lot) has been fine.

Cordyceps

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7646 on: January 24, 2020, 07:49:53 AM »
Too much thread above the nut. Unsightly.
This. Me thinks you need harder bushings. Both Mini Logo and Polster has the exact same size boardside (bottom) as Ace. Their top bushings are lower though.
Divisa para el joven izquierdista: revolución y coño.

Diamonds and Wood

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7647 on: January 24, 2020, 08:12:26 AM »
It’s like a thread and a half, that’s nothing.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 457
« Reply #7648 on: January 24, 2020, 08:38:09 AM »
Flush or death

Diamonds and Wood

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7649 on: January 24, 2020, 09:05:30 AM »