Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221169 times)

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -64
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9210 on: October 19, 2020, 11:27:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm sure this has been mentioned a billion times, but what are good replacement aftermarket bushings for thunders? I don't like the bones bushings btw. My stock ones are starting to crack. If you guys could list any skateshops who has thunder bushings for sale online (not the dlx supercush as those are for ventures). I heard the independent conical bushings work too? Just want to confirm if they're the same size
[close]
WTF...Why don’t you do that legwork yourself, you lazy ass bitch?

There’s like 3 or 4 big online sites, start there. Hold your hand, foh.
[close]

First of all, I'm aware of the big online sites. CCS or Tactics don't have any aftermarket thunder bushings so that's why I'm relying someone on SLAP to provide a local skateshop who has any in stock. I'd rather support a local shop anyway so fuck your hate and stop being a bitch on the internet. This thread is in the shoes & gear section. I'm fucking here for information on gear lmao
[close]
Google bitch.

Hey, you guys, find me some clear grizzly grip tape, 11” wide. Please list them in alphabetical order by price, thanks I’ll wait.

I just typed “thunder bushings” into the url bar on my phone while is sit here shitting, and skate warehouse has them. You’re welcome.
[close]

Kook alert. Smoke a bowl and calm your mantits down.
I remember when I was 16 and just started smoking weed, I made it my whole identity too.

The.Tran.Man

• Rep: -2
« Reply #9211 on: October 19, 2020, 11:39:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm sure this has been mentioned a billion times, but what are good replacement aftermarket bushings for thunders? I don't like the bones bushings btw. My stock ones are starting to crack. If you guys could list any skateshops who has thunder bushings for sale online (not the dlx supercush as those are for ventures). I heard the independent conical bushings work too? Just want to confirm if they're the same size
[close]

[close]

First of all, I'm aware of the big online sites. CCS or Tactics don't have any aftermarket thunder bushings so that's why I'm relying someone on SLAP to provide a local skateshop who has any in stock. I'd rather support a local shop anyway so fuck your hate and stop being a bitch on the internet. This thread is in the shoes & gear section. I'm fucking here for information on gear lmao
[close]
Google bitch.

Hey, you guys, find me some clear grizzly grip tape, 11” wide. Please list them in alphabetical order by price, thanks I’ll wait.

I just typed “thunder bushings” into the url bar on my phone while is sit here shitting, and skate warehouse has them. You’re welcome.

Thanks asshole. skate warehouse isn't a local skateshop

The.Tran.Man

« Reply #9212 on: October 19, 2020, 11:42:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Deluxe supercush or thunder rebuild kit

From what I know, the supercush don't fit thunders, just ventures. If you know a shop who has the rebuild kit or just thunder bushings (no hardware), please let me know

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

« Reply #9213 on: October 19, 2020, 11:50:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Google bitch.

[close]

Thanks asshole. skate warehouse isn't a local skateshop
You're really doing your part by supporting a local shop with your $5 bushing purchase that has almost $0 markup.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #9214 on: October 19, 2020, 12:19:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

From what I know, the supercush don't fit thunders, just ventures. If you know a shop who has the rebuild kit or just thunder bushings (no hardware), please let me know

https://exodusrideshop.com/products/thunder-white-skateboard-bushings-90d
https://exodusrideshop.com/products/thunder-skateboard-bushings-100d?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8rT8BRCbARIsALWiOvSFo66a1NEIeOvSCkiNZebSFenFyiimIUQOThjfNVh-BEkH1FYe7uMaAuf3EALw_wcB

Diocletian

« Reply #9215 on: October 19, 2020, 01:54:15 PM »
Indy conicals fit for sure. I've purchased Thunder aftermarkets in the tube and also the baggy of the rebuild kit and I find them to be decent bushings but not nicer machined quality like the Indy aftermarkets. The Indy's have a nice back to center rebound, I found the Thunders are pretty floppy.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9216 on: October 19, 2020, 04:51:57 PM »
Are the heights correct?  I've always thought bones because they are more conical would turn differently than thunder stocks....

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9217 on: October 19, 2020, 06:04:38 PM »
Are the heights correct?  I've always thought bones because they are more conical would turn differently than thunder stocks....

The different brands of bushings do change the feel of the trucks, but the right bushing duro (hardness) is more important overall.  The softer the bushing the quicker the turn will be when you lean into it, but at the expense of possible wheelbite, for which risers can change this too, especially on lower trucks.

Also the use or non use of metal washers on bushings makes a difference, even with Bones bushings, but for people who want trucks looser than what they are, either get softer bushings, or cut the heads down on the top bushing and keep all the metal washers on in the usual way. 

I find that using low heads allows me to have slightly harder bushings that hold up better, but still turn easily for what I want, rather than having that mushy feeling or no stability in the trucks, or the unfortunate "wheelbite and die" option.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpGf4tGlRyf/
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9218 on: October 19, 2020, 07:11:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

They fit indy's just fine, however, the newer [ch]indy bottom bushings are now shorter and equal to the aftermarkets (which were always shorter than stocks for whatever reason) so the supercush are just a tad, like 2mm taller than stocks...tops are the same height.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9219 on: October 19, 2020, 08:22:07 PM »
So since there was a bushing feud right after I posted this and it got lost in the fray I will ask again:

Anyone know where I can buy just Thunder cast baseplates? I have Ti Lites and used risers today and it was actually noticeably better everything- pop, flick, all that jazz. Might try my cast 5.6 again but like the Thunder turn better. If I get the team plates I don't have to use risers.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9220 on: October 19, 2020, 08:43:22 PM »
nope...I don't think so..they have always been good to warranty but not to sell....I've always just wanted to buy hangers but no go.

To me team hollows and team TI's are the best trucks....make just buy a set and put the hangers on ice because thunders grind through so quickly....

winnasoda

• Rep: -31
« Reply #9221 on: October 19, 2020, 08:45:10 PM »
indy standards loose as shit, ride em till they crack, dont waste my time setting up i just skate skate skate

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #9222 on: October 19, 2020, 09:46:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

https://exodusrideshop.com/products/thunder-skateboard-bushings-100d?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8rT8BRCbARIsALWiOvSFo66a1NEIeOvSCkiNZebSFenFyiimIUQOThjfNVh-BEkH1FYe7uMaAuf3EALw_wcB

those rebuild kit bushings are terrible man, i ordered a pair of the reds and they were already messed up. i am currently settled (for now) with a set of the indy white bushings with no top washer and the nut loosened all the way and locked in place with krazy glue. i think i may need to try thunder 149 trucks because i often wheel bite still when turning...i can't really figure it out
even the steven

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #9223 on: October 20, 2020, 03:23:37 AM »
Just put some 97du thunder aftermarkets in my 149 team hollows after I realized supercush wouldn't fit. Supercush are great in my ventures so hope the thunder aftermarkets are just as nice.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

« Reply #9224 on: October 20, 2020, 08:14:31 AM »
So since there was a bushing feud right after I posted this and it got lost in the fray I will ask again:

Anyone know where I can buy just Thunder cast baseplates? I have Ti Lites and used risers today and it was actually noticeably better everything- pop, flick, all that jazz. Might try my cast 5.6 again but like the Thunder turn better. If I get the team plates I don't have to use risers.
Thunder doesn’t sell baseplates by themselves. Buy new trucks.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #9225 on: October 20, 2020, 08:22:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Thunder doesn’t sell base plates by themselves. Buy new trucks.
Or swap w/ somebody on here that wound up having to buy cast/team Thunndies when they wanted forged, bur maybe their shop didn't have them.
So many cool heads up on here.
I've got a set of used ones I was setting by for an emergency; you can have 'em as long as you don't mind tapping out some beat-ass kingpins and putting new ones in. You pay shippage & they're yours.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9226 on: October 20, 2020, 08:29:33 AM »
I had a hard time getting out the kingpins on my last set....ended up just swapping hangers onto my old ones....

The.Tran.Man

« Reply #9227 on: October 20, 2020, 10:30:02 AM »
Indy conicals fit for sure. I've purchased Thunder aftermarkets in the tube and also the baggy of the rebuild kit and I find them to be decent bushings but not nicer machined quality like the Indy aftermarkets. The Indy's have a nice back to center rebound, I found the Thunders are pretty floppy.

Thanks for the info. I will probably just try the indy conical bushings and see how that feels. I can agree with you about the floppy aspect. My back bushing feels super mushy

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #9228 on: October 21, 2020, 06:24:31 AM »
Someone running Indy 144s with 3 washers in the inside and got a caliper to measure the width?

Or just measuring the width of 2 speedrings would work too i think! Trying to figure out if i really need a set of 149 on my 8.5" and how much diffrence it is between a 149 and a spaced out 144.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9229 on: October 21, 2020, 06:38:37 AM »
Someone running Indy 144s with 3 washers in the inside and got a caliper to measure the width?

Or just measuring the width of 2 speedrings would work too i think! Trying to figure out if i really need a set of 149 on my 8.5" and how much diffrence it is between a 149 and a spaced out 144.

I haven't seen many / any posts about the three speed rings (washers) but I have been doing that for a while, especially on new trucks, which brings the wheels out as far as possible and have the wheel nut just snug right on the end.

As you asked, I use 149s and the three speed rings with bigger wider wheels which sit flush with the 8.5 decks I ride and it works perfectly for me, but a lot of people don't want to see their wheels or like them sitting inside the deck, so although it would sit inside a bit, you could get away with doing that with 144s.

The other thing is whether or not you want a little more truck grinding room, or prefer a wider feel or a not so wide feel.

It is about 5 mm in total difference, so about 2.5 mm each side.

What size or shape wheel do you ride?

Kevve

« Reply #9230 on: October 21, 2020, 08:50:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I haven't seen many / any posts about the three speed rings (washers) but I have been doing that for a while, especially on new trucks, which brings the wheels out as far as possible and have the wheel nut just snug right on the end.

As you asked, I use 149s and the three speed rings with bigger wider wheels which sit flush with the 8.5 decks I ride and it works perfectly for me, but a lot of people don't want to see their wheels or like them sitting inside the deck, so although it would sit inside a bit, you could get away with doing that with 144s.

The other thing is whether or not you want a little more truck grinding room, or prefer a wider feel or a not so wide feel.

53mm Conical fulls.
Allright so 144s plus 2 extra speedrings is more or less 149mm?
Made a noticeable diffrence after I put the 2 extra spacers in some month ago, had trouble getting the truck on the coping before.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #9231 on: October 21, 2020, 09:57:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

53mm Conical fulls.
Made a noticeable diffrence after I put the 2 extra spacers in some month ago, had trouble getting the truck on the coping before.

I ride Ace 44 which are 8.35 I believe? With 3 speed rings inside of each wheels and it feels perfect with 8.5 for me, while I thought it was perfect with just 1 speed ring inside each wheel when I was riding 8.25. I prefer spitfire Classics though if I'm shoving in extra speed rings, when I tried with conical fulls, I thought it looked weird because of the wheel shape, made the gap between the wheel and the hanger very noticeable (to me at least) while the classic shape kinda hides the extra room between your bearing and your axle.

If you really want it to be exactly like 149s, maybe someone can measure exactly how wide their 149s are and then you could measure how wide your setup is, I don't have 149s anymore though, so I couldn't help you with that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that whatever feels good is what you should ride, and I wouldn't think buying 149s would affect your skating that much. Try it with 2 speed rings, and then with 3, and whatever you like best is how you should go with it.

Kevve

« Reply #9232 on: October 21, 2020, 11:43:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

53mm Conical fulls.
[close]

I ride Ace 44 which are 8.35 I believe? With 3 speed rings inside of each wheels and it feels perfect with 8.5 for me, while I thought it was perfect with just 1 speed ring inside each wheel when I was riding 8.25. I prefer spitfire Classics though if I'm shoving in extra speed rings, when I tried with conical fulls, I thought it looked weird because of the wheel shape, made the gap between the wheel and the hanger very noticeable (to me at least) while the classic shape kinda hides the extra room between your bearing and your axle.

If you really want it to be exactly like 149s, maybe someone can measure exactly how wide their 149s are and then you could measure how wide your setup is, I don't have 149s anymore though, so I couldn't help you with that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that whatever feels good is what you should ride, and I wouldn't think buying 149s would affect your skating that much. Try it with 2 speed rings, and then with 3, and whatever you like best is how you should go with it.

Ye, solid advice! I Guess its more of a question out of boredom

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9233 on: October 21, 2020, 02:06:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for the info. I will probably just try the indy conical bushings and see how that feels. I can agree with you about the floppy aspect. My back bushing feels super mushy

Indy conicals are a tad shorter than thunder bottoms; at that point just throw in some bones.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #9234 on: October 22, 2020, 07:22:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I've spent way too much money on bushings this year experimenting. I weigh 180lbs and can tell you the black Thunder bushings are the best! I can skate them with the kingpin nut level with the threads. I've turned everyone else on to them around here of all different weights. Good luck finding some right now.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #9235 on: October 22, 2020, 10:43:02 PM »
I swapped out my baseplate on thunder hollows. I had two different thunders, and have frankensteined a set with hollow hanger and forged baseplate...super light and low.

I have some indy hard bushings...thinking about swapping my top medium bushing with a super hard one

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9236 on: October 22, 2020, 11:28:30 PM »
I swapped out my baseplate on thunder hollows. I had two different thunders, and have frankensteined a set with hollow hanger and forged baseplate...super light and low.

I have some indy hard bushings...thinking about swapping my top medium bushing with a super hard one

53mm Conical fulls.

It is a lot easier to mix things up that you already have first too, before buying something new.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9237 on: October 23, 2020, 08:34:39 AM »
My copious amount of BS Tailslide practice has taken its toll on my Thunder 148 Titanium. Would any Thunder Forged baseplate suffice? Nothing special with the Titanium baseplates right?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #9238 on: October 23, 2020, 11:28:38 AM »
My copious amount of BS Tailslide practice has taken its toll on my Thunder 148 Titanium. Would any Thunder Forged baseplate suffice? Nothing special with the Titanium baseplates right?
the only thing titanium in them are the axles, so yeah
also, what size wheels are you riding that you're able to grind the baseplates?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9239 on: October 23, 2020, 04:55:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
the only thing titanium in them are the axles, so yeah
also, what size wheels are you riding that you're able to grind the baseplates?

52mm Tablets, the ledge I skate has a pretty sharp edge that digs into the trucks.

Edit: Thunder Team standard truck, I know the bushing color corresponds to the truck size.
145 - yellow?
147 - blue?
148 - orange?
149 - green?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 05:40:18 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m