Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220735 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9240 on: October 23, 2020, 10:40:10 PM »

Edit: Thunder Team standard truck, I know the bushing color corresponds to the truck size.
145 - yellow?
147 - blue?
148 - orange?
149 - green?

I could be wrong, but the most recent basic team editions (polished) Thunder trucks here all seemed to have blue bushings, or at least the sizes I have looked at 147, 149, 151 and 161s.

The previous lot / older stock all had yellow bushings - sets of 147 and 149 on boards I have.

Another person I know with older 148s had orange bushings.

Similar to Indy bushings, all the stock bushings regardless of colour are 90 duro, but the aftermarket bushings are colour coded to hardness.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9241 on: October 24, 2020, 12:06:43 AM »
Expand Quote

Edit: Thunder Team standard truck, I know the bushing color corresponds to the truck size.
145 - yellow?
147 - blue?
148 - orange?
149 - green?
[close]

I could be wrong, but the most recent basic team editions (polished) Thunder trucks here all seemed to have blue bushings, or at least the sizes I have looked at 147, 149, 151 and 161s.

The previous lot / older stock all had yellow bushings - sets of 147 and 149 on boards I have.

Another person I know with older 148s had orange bushings.

Similar to Indy bushings, all the stock bushings regardless of colour are 90 duro, but the aftermarket bushings are colour coded to hardness.

Yeah I've been eyeing a pair of 147 Standards, the seller didn't want to break out a tape measure so I was trying to guess by bushing color. They eventually got a tape measure out and they are 147s.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9242 on: October 24, 2020, 01:07:14 AM »

Yeah I've been eyeing a pair of 147 Standards, the seller didn't want to break out a tape measure so I was trying to guess by bushing color. They eventually got a tape measure out and they are 147s.

Sweet! So you have new trucks coming?

Maybe it is just me, but if I am going to sell anything, I would like to have all the dimensions or information on the listing.

All the new Thunders and quite a few going back a while have the size stamped under the hanger right beside the wheel, which has helped with a few people who didn't know the sizes.

I also saw the new Indy hangers also have this, even though they always had the number in roman numerals down low on the top of the hanger beside where the top bushing sits, but I guess now it is way more visible.

Ace always have as far as I know.

Second pic on each post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC9cTNchwGa/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEcHGE5Fnt0/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAX5rnBJuKa/

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #9243 on: October 25, 2020, 06:58:29 AM »
I've been wanting to try a set of Krux out for a while now and I think I may pick a set up in the next couple days, but I've had trouble finding solid info on the axle height. It looks like the smaller sizes and DLK trucks may be 52mm tall and the wider/tall sizes are 55mm tall? I've been riding Indy's most of my life so I've gotten pretty used to the 55mm + shock pad feel and I'd like to keep that same height if possible. Thanks in advance for any info.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #9244 on: October 25, 2020, 07:05:20 AM »
I tried Krux, they weren't that bad but still it was a waste of time
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #9245 on: October 25, 2020, 08:26:13 AM »
I've been wanting to try a set of Krux out for a while now and I think I may pick a set up in the next couple days, but I've had trouble finding solid info on the axle height. It looks like the smaller sizes and DLK trucks may be 52mm tall and the wider/tall sizes are 55mm tall? I've been riding Indy's most of my life so I've gotten pretty used to the 55mm + shock pad feel and I'd like to keep that same height if possible. Thanks in advance for any info.

Yeah, Krux are 55mm. The DLK just means it has the downlow kingpin, I don't think they make low trucks (52) anymore which is unfortunate cause that would be a better height IMO. They don't have a sharp turn so most people hate them if they've spent time on other turny trucks. The bushings suck and can make the trucks floppy. They are great with Ace bushings which you can't find in stock these days. Consider waiting for the new versions if you like a sharper turn. I'd be riding them now if they were lower and possibly a bit lighter.

sketchyrider

« Reply #9246 on: October 25, 2020, 08:56:19 AM »
i think krux are *supposed* to be floppy/limited turn.

you plop right into pinch position doing grinds, and you can land all kinds of sketchy and you wont get kicked off your board.

i could never wheelbite those things either...but i couldn't get used to how they were just not stable.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #9247 on: October 25, 2020, 09:24:03 AM »
Thanks for the info dudes! Yeah, I figured they wouldn't be as good as Indy's but I think I'm still gonna get a set. I've pretty much been skating the same board/truck/wheel/bearing combo for a few years now and I want to get a few different setups going to mess around on this winter. Variety is the spice of life or so I've heard haha.

Beeker

« Reply #9248 on: October 25, 2020, 03:39:09 PM »

you plop right into pinch position doing grinds, and you can land all kinds of sketchy and you wont get kicked off your board.

i could never wheelbite those things either...but i couldn't get used to how they were just not stable.

Krux does have the absolute best aversion to wheel bite. I'm pretty certain it's due to the extra long pivot-nub on the hanger, which makes it harder at the end of the turn, and is also a big reason for people's turn complaints. I think they changed this for the K5's (thought I remember reading that). The Ace bushings I mentioned solve the floppyness, the taller top makes them more stable and gives a more consistent turn from top to bottom. The soft Ace bottom bushings gives you a better turn. I honestly believe their trucks would contend with the best if they could just figure this out. I also agree that they low-key have the best pinch... The wheel base is perfect, they're just too tall and too heavy.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #9249 on: October 25, 2020, 08:15:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Krux does have the absolute best aversion to wheel bite. I'm pretty certain it's due to the extra long pivot-nub on the hanger, which makes it harder at the end of the turn, and is also a big reason for people's turn complaints. I think they changed this for the K5's (thought I remember reading that). The Ace bushings I mentioned solve the floppyness, the taller top makes them more stable and gives a more consistent turn from top to bottom. The soft Ace bottom bushings gives you a better turn. I honestly believe their trucks would contend with the best if they could just figure this out. I also agree that they low-key have the best pinch... The wheel base is perfect, they're just too tall and too heavy.
Gonna pick up some K5s when they drop.
But picked up extra Krux inverted kingpins for them and the new Indys.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9250 on: October 26, 2020, 09:04:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Someone running Indy 144s with 3 washers in the inside and got a caliper to measure the width?

Or just measuring the width of 2 speedrings would work too i think! Trying to figure out if i really need a set of 149 on my 8.5" and how much diffrence it is between a 149 and a spaced out 144.
[close]

I haven't seen many / any posts about the three speed rings (washers) but I have been doing that for a while, especially on new trucks, which brings the wheels out as far as possible and have the wheel nut just snug right on the end.

As you asked, I use 149s and the three speed rings with bigger wider wheels which sit flush with the 8.5 decks I ride and it works perfectly for me, but a lot of people don't want to see their wheels or like them sitting inside the deck, so although it would sit inside a bit, you could get away with doing that with 144s.

The other thing is whether or not you want a little more truck grinding room, or prefer a wider feel or a not so wide feel.

It is about 5 mm in total difference, so about 2.5 mm each side.

What size or shape wheel do you ride?
[close]

53mm Conical fulls.
Allright so 144s plus 2 extra speedrings is more or less 149mm?
Made a noticeable diffrence after I put the 2 extra spacers in some month ago, had trouble getting the truck on the coping before.

I'm was running 3 inner washers with very skinny wheels (ricta super slims) and the wheels were damn near lined up to ACE44s with classics...both with nuts flush to the end of the axle...not sure you could get 149 width out of them.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #9251 on: October 26, 2020, 03:12:38 PM »
I spent YEARS posting in this thread and at least a couple hundreds dollars worth of trucks just to settle with normal Thunder TI’s with bones bushings, riptide cups, and risers. For as long as I used them the krux pin really isn’t necessary either

Still had to keep my Rimz tho

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9252 on: October 26, 2020, 03:24:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They redesigned the Pivot cup from what I recall, but it was the TM speaking not the engineers. They still make the Downlow but pretty rare to see the hollow downlows.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #9253 on: October 26, 2020, 06:19:44 PM »
Have never tried any of the "light" trucks but am planning on trying either the indy forged hollows or thunder hollow lights. Any insight on either of these would be appreciated.

FYI I've had both indy standard and thunder team trucks in the past and I like them both. Wouldn't say I'm a purist for either.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Beeker

« Reply #9254 on: October 26, 2020, 07:06:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They redesigned the Pivot cup from what I recall, but it was the TM speaking not the engineers. They still make the Downlow but pretty rare to see the hollow downlows.

Yeah "redesigned pivot cup" seems like a TM way to say redesigned hanger nub, I doubt it's just the cup material, I bet they made it smaller.

I'm pretty skeptical that they still make the low trucks, the 52mm one's with the solid DL kingpin? I think the one's you see listed online are actually just DLK that sellers think are low trucks. Seems like the Manny Santiago's were the last lows I remember. Of course I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any and I've looked. Would be nice if they had a catalog.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9255 on: October 26, 2020, 07:15:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah "redesigned pivot cup" seems like a TM way to say redesigned hanger nub, I doubt it's just the cup material, I bet they made it smaller.

I'm pretty skeptical that they still make the low trucks, the 52mm one's with the solid DL kingpin? I think the one's you see listed online are actually just DLK that sellers think are low trucks. Seems like the Manny Santiago's were the last lows I remember. Of course I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any and I've looked. Would be nice if they had a catalog.

Yeah I think you're right, Manny's were the last...I think Steezortiz had some too...the DL Hollows were last seen covered in weed graphics for Tommy...

The Pivot was super long and the cups were long to match, you couldn't replace them and they angle was fucked and you'd destroy them pretty fast (rumor has it they are/were Indy Stage II designs)...if they were fucking smart they'd rip S7/8...THAT'S how you'd get people on Krux...besides not marketing them to girls and people who like Welcome and Enjoi.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #9256 on: October 26, 2020, 09:43:32 PM »
I hope this isn't the dumbest question ever but do trucks get lower as you skate them from the bushings getting squished down? I've never thought too much about truck height until the Indy Mids came out. I've always just skated standard height trucks.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #9257 on: October 26, 2020, 10:39:03 PM »
I think maybe if your pivot cup is smashed up it could lower the truck a tiny bit

Those green thunders look kinda sick
I would like to see like a lucerne or gunmetal blue colour I reckon that would work
listen to cosmic psychos

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #9258 on: October 27, 2020, 12:09:08 AM »
I hope this isn't the dumbest question ever but do trucks get lower as you skate them from the bushings getting squished down? I've never thought too much about truck height until the Indy Mids came out. I've always just skated standard height trucks.

Inasmuch as your wheels wearing down, it's something that'd happen naturally over time in a way that's not going to be randomly jarring. Hard urethane like in wheels and bushings is pretty stable stuff with strong memory, it'll shrink or deform, but it takes long enough you're not going to notice it happening. Not a dumb question, it is rubber after all, and we've all seen a shredded or blown out Bones bushing.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #9259 on: October 27, 2020, 03:35:52 AM »
Just set up my first set of thunders. Have 97du aftermarkets for bushings. Has any one experienced their bushings being super soft at first then hardening up as they break in? For 97du these things are super soft.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #9260 on: October 27, 2020, 10:49:17 AM »
How are the ace pivot cups? Need to swap out the ones in my indys but the only options from the site I wanna order from are ace, Shorty’s and khiro

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9261 on: October 27, 2020, 11:16:43 AM »
How are the ace pivot cups? Need to swap out the ones in my indys but the only options from the site I wanna order from are ace, Shorty’s and khiro

As far as I'm aware, the ace pivot cups still get torn up. Get the khiro softs, they feel pretty good in Aces and are durable so they probably feel good for Indys too.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #9262 on: October 27, 2020, 11:47:02 AM »
anybody know if theres something u can do to make indys turn more responsive like thunders?

No matter what I do I can't loosen my indy 149s to where they feel like they turn when I want them to. I thought it was just breaking them in but about 2 weeks of daily skating, kingpin nut barely screwed on, still feels too tight.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #9263 on: October 27, 2020, 12:02:44 PM »
anybody know if theres something u can do to make indys turn more responsive like thunders?

No matter what I do I can't loosen my indy 149s to where they feel like they turn when I want them to. I thought it was just breaking them in but about 2 weeks of daily skating, kingpin nut barely screwed on, still feels too tight.

Softer bushings and getting conical shaped ones. Maybe even getting new pivot cups but with all that done you may as well get Thunders.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #9264 on: October 27, 2020, 01:20:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Softer bushings and getting conical shaped ones. Maybe even getting new pivot cups but with all that done you may as well get Thunders.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9265 on: October 27, 2020, 04:58:37 PM »

A FREE fix, just cut down your top bushing, as I showed on the last page, or page 309 and you will have the same trucks that will turn a lot more for you, so you don't have to buy new trucks (which is pretty stupid if there is actually nothing wrong with the existing ones) and they will turn a whole lot better.

Another option if you are not into trying that is to remove the bottom metal washer, which I do not recommend, but I know a lot of kids do it who feel like their trucks are too tight and really makes them a lot looser, also free and also easy to replace the metal washer if you don't like it.

Otherwise get softer bushings, which will allow the trucks to turn more with your weight, which I am guessing is not much.

If you are light, then any truck will be harder to turn with bushings that are not soft or very soft.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.9240

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9266 on: October 27, 2020, 05:07:24 PM »

Truck height cannot really be changed at all, no matter how much the pivot cups or bushings are compressed, the only thing you can do is lift them higher with risers, so given some trucks are actually a lot higher (Indy standards 55mm) and some a lot lower (down to 50mm or less), consider how much you get wheelbite first, eg lower trucks means more wheelbite so you will not be able to turn half as much on lower trucks as you might on taller ones.

That said, if you get them and they feel too low, you can always put a riser in, so it is not the end of the world.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9267 on: October 27, 2020, 05:10:31 PM »
Have never tried any of the "light" trucks but am planning on trying either the indy forged hollows or thunder hollow lights. Any insight on either of these would be appreciated.

FYI I've had both indy standard and thunder team trucks in the past and I like them both. Wouldn't say I'm a purist for either.

Both are good for all round normal but slightly lighter skating, to note the Indy forged hollow is only 53.5mm high, compared to the standard which is 55mm high.  Thunder is 52 or so from measuring a set I have, both do the job well.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9268 on: October 27, 2020, 05:17:27 PM »
Just set up my first set of thunders. Have 97du aftermarkets for bushings. Has any one experienced their bushings being super soft at first then hardening up as they break in? For 97du these things are super soft.

Quite a few others have said how soft the "hard" bushings feel when they first put them in, from both the Thunder and Indy after market bushings, and I tend to agree, but one thing you should always do is try to wear them in before tightening them down too much when brand new.  Often a couple of really gentle sessions skating will help this a lot, but if they still feel too squishy, I recall some other bushings which come out a bit harder right from go, whether you can get them or not nowdays, but Lucky kegs and Doh Dohs were the hardest, even some other normal 99 duro bushings still feel pretty turnable straight up, compared to some older worn in bushings that harden up a lot over time.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9269 on: October 27, 2020, 05:49:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Both are good for all round normal but slightly lighter skating, to note the Indy forged hollow is only 53.5mm high, compared to the standard which is 55mm high.  Thunder is 52 or so from measuring a set I have, both do the job well.

Thunder lights with forged baseplate are 50mm. I was on some for about a year. They were cool, but I like the extra height and ended up using risers with them until I snagged some team hollow baseplates. I sorta feel that the weight difference isn't all that much in the end. I notice it when I pick up my board, but that's it.