Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1219882 times)

perverted super otaku!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Truck set-ups
« on: December 20, 2015, 06:50:08 AM »
Im curious about how you guys set your trucks up, special methods, preferences and all that nerdy stuff.

Here's mine:
Thunder 147's riding 8.1-825 and 54 wheels
-replacement 100a Thunder bushings
-Bottom washers left out
-Front truck Flush( edit:perhaps the smallest tad under now) with some wobble
-Back truck 1-2 threads showing edit: correction, back truck is now barely over flush, loosened it when It got colder
-risers

Seriously can't complain about this set-up in anyway, for me its perfect, loose up front for quick turns and tighter in back stabilises on landings and at high speeds. The hard bushing and loose front works really well for me, best of both worlds.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 10:36:25 AM by perverted super otaku! »

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 07:40:39 AM »
Indy 139 Reynolds stage 11s
- 8.125 boards, 53mm wheels
- aftermarket Indy medium bushings

I also ride a slightly looser front truck with both kingpin nuts not completely flush, though I tighten them as I skate them more. I don't modify or remove parts from my trucks 'cause it seems contrary to the way they were designed to be used but that's just my OCD. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to fuck with them a bit.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 07:42:26 AM »
I used to tinker with my trucks, replacing bushings, after market, Bones ect. Then a while back a decided not to do any of that shit until it was necessary ie. something's blown out. I run all my stuff stock now and I'm skating better than I was 2 years ago (I'm 37 so that's a thing). I run Indies, front and back the same, fairly loose, and I switch them back to front every new deck so they wear out evenly.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 07:50:31 AM »
Then a while back a decided not to do any of that shit until it was necessary ie. something's blown out. I run all my stuff stock now

I do this too. And eventually the newer Indy bushings will crumble apart. You'll have to excuse my tinfoil hat but I think Indy started making crappier bushings than back in the day so people would have to buy aftermarket.

N.L.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 09:04:33 AM »
i mix it up between indy/ thunder 149s and 159/151 but been pretty consistently on Thunder 151s.

i don't fuck with the forged or hollow options. prefer polished or raw. black baseplates are OK.

stock bushings, 1/8" risers, wheels usually mid 50s but right now on some really worn down 54s. kingpin nuts flush. i use them on 8.5s to 8.75s but they are money on boards right in the middle of that range.

good all round trucks. light for their size, perfect height. super responsive. you can get them nice and loose but they still feel stable at speed. street, small tight bowls, bigger floaty trannies. love 'em. only downside is, without the proper bushing combo,/wheel size they will get a bit of wheelbite when as loose as i like them.

going to rotate to indy 159 on my next set up just to remind myself...

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 10:09:54 AM »
Indy 149s with whatever wheels I happen to have, F4s or Stf's if I had to choose.
Aftermarket Indy 94a bushings
Back truck always a few turns tighter than my front. I'm not sure where this habit formed from; my trucks were even for the longest time and then outta nowhere I found myself skating with a looser front without even realizing it, and I've just stuck with it. All I know is now if I try to skate with them even or with the back truck even just slightly looser than the front it throws me all off.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 10:20:41 AM »
Thunder 151's w/ Thunder risers, everything stock. Front truck looser than the back truck.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 12:34:05 PM »
I just switched the bushings on my Crail 149 trucks. They're a Brazilian brand but it's what's on menu. I want to see how it will affect my skating after my foot is healed. I switched the stock 100a Moog bushings for some softer ones. Dunno the duro but they're the orange cone ones. I did it out of frustration. Can't loosen the front truck enough without the washers rattling like a baby rattle. So I'll try using softer ones to try and see if my skating will improve once I'm back. Injuries are the worst.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 01:37:27 PM »
8.375 deck, 139 indie standard trucks, 55mm wheels.

-Replaced indie washers, because they bend very easy, with a set of destructo ones.
-Due to stage 10s limited clearance between hanger and kigpin, when I broke a kigpin, I replaced both baseplates with two other from a low Indy truck. That way I gave more life to my trucks without destroying the kigpin nut.
-Due to that change I couldnt fit the bushings (Bones hards) I previously had. So what I did was use the same bottom bushing but swap the top one with a doh doh white from my first skateboard trucks. I used to ride the trucks extra tight then so the bushing was very slim and I could now tighten the nut on the kigpin...
- I ride medium to tight for most people but I am a heavy guy and I think that they are medium for me.
- I ride front truck looser too.

Now I bought some stage 11s and I wait until my current set up is trashed. I Bought some white doh dohs as I find them more suitable than bones.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:42:10 PM by Tufty »

BMCsteve

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 01:39:41 PM »
My go-to are:

Indy Titanium 149
Aftermarket Indy Soft bushings (cylinder bottom)
Kingpin nuts flush
Speed washers and bearing spacers in the wheels
1 drop of dry bike chain lube in the pivot cups when I first set them up

The one weird thing that I do is I set both trucks up with equal tightness and then I switch them (front to back) with every new board setup.  

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 01:42:33 PM »
i dont really mess around with my trucks.
i ride independent stage 11 149. 3 speedrings on the inside, 1 on the outside to keep the axlenut flush.
i never tighten/loosen the trucks. i just leave them how i got them.
the longer i ride the same pair of trucks the softer they get, due to the bushings. i kinda like it that way and i dont wanna screw around too much.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 01:46:06 PM »
My go-to are:

Indy Titanium 149
Kingpin nuts flush

The one weird thing that I do is I set both trucks up with equal tightness and then I switch them (front to back) with every new board setup.  

So you back that up? You obviously haven't posted that just because, I know, but now I'm curious about your method. I just add a little bit of shavings from a soap bar on the pivot cups. It's nice, but it's a bit difficult to put just the right amount, given that it's a solid material rather than a liquid.

BMCsteve

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 02:03:42 PM »
Expand Quote
My go-to are:

Indy Titanium 149
Kingpin nuts flush

[close]

So you back that up? You obviously haven't posted that just because, I know, but now I'm curious about your method. I just add a little bit of shavings from a soap bar on the pivot cups. It's nice, but it's a bit difficult to put just the right amount, given that it's a solid material rather than a liquid.

Yup, it works great, lasts a long time and actually extends the life of the pivot cups.  I've tried soap shavings and wax shavings as well and neither work.

The key is to make sure its a "dry" lube.  It's not only for bike chains but also for your cables which are essential metal on plastic friction like the pivot in a truck.  It's oil with a bit of liquid wax in it so it's less greasy and lasts longer than something like speedcream

This is what I use - http://cdn.coresites.factorymedia.com/rcuk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/BicycleChainOilFinishLine320.jpg 

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 02:19:43 PM »
i ride thunder 147s hi with the forged baseplate and the hollow kingpin with 54mm bones wheels,
and i have bones medium bushings because the other ones went to shit.
i wanted to try the hollow lights though, but i was also thinking of trying to hollow light indys too, so even though they barley save a penny worth of weight would the hollow axle indys be more durable than the thunders jumping off of shit or would they be about the same?

LookyLurkerLou

• Rep: -4
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 02:47:42 PM »
Indy or Thunder 149. Want to try ACE 55
Indy replacement 90a bushings
Back truck loose, top bushing cut in half with three washers
Front truck super wobbly, both bushings boiled for 45 min and top cut in half

CINCINNATI

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 02:49:38 PM »
169 Indys stage 11, standard not hollow or any gimmicks
red Indy bushings with the top washer only

up until last week, pretty worn down spf bones that were the conical shape
now 101 f4 conical fulls

Dengles

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 03:34:20 PM »
Indy forged lights 159 with raw hangar and red baseplate

Bottom washer removed

Stock bushings

finger tight about to fall apart at all times, if you can't hear them jingle they're too tight for me

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 04:03:15 PM »
Woah, never heard of boiling bushings, I'm curious what that does and perhaps even where you learned that from, very interesting set-up

Xtal

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 04:11:44 PM »

Ace are amazing trucks. The new redesigns from later this year have made them even better. The stock bushings are great, and they can ride really loose without having to worry about wheelbite which happens with me and Indy's. You will have a hard time riding any other truck after you make the switch to Ace.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 04:57:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Woah, never heard of boiling bushings, I'm curious what that does and perhaps even where you learned that from, very interesting set-up

ha i remember reading a adrian lopez interview like in the early 2000s where he said he did this.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 05:40:27 PM »
Trucks are by far the thing i nitpick over the least, that said i still like a few things to be the way i want on every set.

139s with 2-3 extra speed rings on the inside to push the wheels out flush a tiny bit more

Bones mediums and have only really just started color coding front and back truck with white set on front truck and black set on back

Axle nut enough of a wiggle room for the wheel to click clack in my fingers

And ever since i tried them have to use the titanium theeve hardware to hold it all together

I really dread setting up a new set, i've had my current set on for 2 1/2 years

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 05:40:49 PM »
Thunder 149's
Stock bushings
I use washers, and the spacers for my Swiss.

I also do this, my friends think it's weird that I don't designate a front and back truck.
I also tighten my mounting hardware diagonally. Just a quirk I guess, but I always thought it'd center the baseplate better.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Such

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 06:08:13 PM »
8.12 board with 149 thunders. fucking hate it. i usually go 8.25 with 149s, but accidentally got a 8.12 instead of a 8.125. wanted to try going down in size but seems im gonna have to cop some 8. trucks for that. front truck slightly looser. medium loose.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 08:54:29 PM »
indy 139 titanium stage 11
i dont like the kingpins on hollow forged baseplates, so i swap them out for solid forged baseplates.
3 washers on the inside of each axle.
indy 90a aftermarket barrel bushings
i try to always put an indy sticker on the back truck
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »
Indy 149 for 8.38's or Indy 159 for 8.5's and above...

Prefer Hollow's but the new one that they've put out seems to wear away quicker.

Bones Bushings Medium for regular set up and Hard for Cruiser.

No bottom washer but i do buy a different top washer which is slightly much smaller than the standard Indy top washer.
Caliber hardware/trucks makes them and it fits the top part of the small bushing perfectly! and never bends or dings because it doesn't touch the truck at all which also doesn't scrape any part of the hanger. it almost feels like skating without the top washer but everyone knows that usually breaks the top bushing much quicker and this small washer prevents that. achieves a much looser trucks.

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 02:49:29 AM »
I was going to say trucks are what I'm most picky about with my set ups but I realised I'm picky about everything down the the bolts, but I guess that just means I fit in here.

Currently riding thunder 147 high hollows with bones medium bushings. I skate them medium-loose, prefer them looser but kept getting wheelbite every time I landed anything. Was riding Indy hollow 149s before these, with Indy after market medium bushings. Didn't get on with them. I honesty don't see why everyone sucks indys dick so hard. Buying some ace 44's tomorrow, hoping they live up to the hype. Going to keep them stock because I'm tired of tinkering around with shit

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 04:42:25 AM »
I also tighten my mounting hardware diagonally. Just a quirk I guess, but I always thought it'd center the baseplate better.

Tightening screws in a cross pattern is supposed to be the correct way, period. Not just for skateboarding. I do it, too, any other way feels weird.

finger tight about to fall apart at all times, if you can't hear them jingle they're too tight for me

I tried doing this back when I was just started. It was all fun and games until I was riding down the avenue and the nut of the front truck fell off! Finding the bushing, the washer and the nut in between the traffic runs was fun, but not the kind of experience I want again. I like to tighten the front truck with my fingers as much as I can, then tighten them with the tool just enough for me not to be able to untighten them by hand.

I like to keep my back truck tighter. Tight enough to give stability, but loose enough to be responsive. I'd love to ride them both super loose, but I just can't pull it off on a daily basis, especially considering my commute.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 06:38:15 AM »
I go through phases of skating Thunder and Indy for periods of time... currently skating Thunders again, but every once in a while i'll want that smoother/slower turn of Indys.  

currently
Thunder 149ii
(titanium hanger with hollow forged baseplate, with bones medium (same set of bushings for past 2-3 years), no bottom washer)
usually kingpin nut is set a groove or two above "flush"
always keep the trucks designated front/back (gotta take advantage of the grooves)
52-54mm wheels (usually smaller in the summer and bigger in the winter)

or

Indy 149
(hollow or regular hanger, with bones medium (same set of bushings for past 2-3 years), no bottom washer)
usually kingpin nut is set a groove or two above "flush"
always keep the trucks designated front/back (gotta take advantage of the grooves)
53-56mm wheels (usually smaller in the summer and bigger in the winter)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:19:07 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 06:41:17 AM »
I'm riding indy 139's stage 11: with a forged hollow base plate/kingpin & a stage 11 hanger. I like the feel of forged base plates while riding. Feels more solid with less vibration to my feet, in a small way.

indy after market 88a conical bushing, with one aftermarket indy medium 90a barrell bushing for the bottom of my back truck (I like a more stable back truck)

I usually tighten my front truck 2 revs, with my back truck being 2 1/2 revs. I try to go either by halves or quarter turns when loosing/tightening my trucks. Its easier to decipher where I like it that way, instead of getting madness from trying to figure out how little or more to tighten it.

I keep a bottle of citrus cleaner handy whenever the ends of my axles get too dirty and rusty. Sometimes the bearings in my wheels get too much friction when they're sitting on a dirty axle.

Xtal

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 09:46:19 AM »
I was going to say trucks are what I'm most picky about with my set ups but I realised I'm picky about everything down the the bolts, but I guess that just means I fit in here.

Currently riding thunder 147 high hollows with bones medium bushings. I skate them medium-loose, prefer them looser but kept getting wheelbite every time I landed anything. Was riding Indy hollow 149s before these, with Indy after market medium bushings. Didn't get on with them. I honesty don't see why everyone sucks indys dick so hard. Buying some ace 44's tomorrow, hoping they live up to the hype. Going to keep them stock because I'm tired of tinkering around with shit

From my experience, Bones bushings don't fit properly in Thunder trucks. I even called DLXSF one day and he said Thunder's geometry and Bones don't mesh well. You need the cylinder aftermarket Indy or Thunder bushings with both the bottom and top washers on Thunders. I stopped riding the Thunder 149 Hi's because they're are slightly lower than Indy Hi's and I got insane wheelbite.

Ace Hi's are about the same height as Thunder Hi's from baseplate to axle, but just the way they're built you can ride super loose and wheelbite is very minimal. They'll feel a bit weird at first when grinding, but you're going to notice how insanely responsive they are to your turns. The new redesign fixed some issues, and the pivot cups and stock bushings are good to go. You'll love 'em man, smoothest grind and best turn in the biz.