Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220619 times)

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #510 on: March 22, 2016, 11:08:46 AM »
One thing we have not covered in this extensive truck nerd out is ollie timing. Has anyone else noticed that different trucks ollie different? I always thought this was bullshit but I am getting a way better ollie with Aces (otherwise exact same set up). Next comes Indy and then Thunder. I love Thunder 151s but their position/ Geo whatever fucked with my ollies. Strange but true and I'm sure this is different for everyone... more subjective bullshit but its real...

Yeah, being a bigger dude I've never had much height on my ollies and never been able to do flips for the most part. I can land a couple here and there but I mostly just skate tranny and grind a lot. I noticed with Ace's, whether it has to do with the height or weight or both, I can ollie higher with less effort. I can actually clear the pyramid with them, too. Definitely wasn't the case with Indy's.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #511 on: March 22, 2016, 11:30:42 AM »
Expand Quote
One thing we have not covered in this extensive truck nerd out is ollie timing. Has anyone else noticed that different trucks ollie different? I always thought this was bullshit but I am getting a way better ollie with Aces (otherwise exact same set up). Next comes Indy and then Thunder. I love Thunder 151s but their position/ Geo whatever fucked with my ollies. Strange but true and I'm sure this is different for everyone... more subjective bullshit but its real...
[close]

Yeah, being a bigger dude I've never had much height on my ollies and never been able to do flips for the most part. I can land a couple here and there but I mostly just skate tranny and grind a lot. I noticed with Ace's, whether it has to do with the height or weight or both, I can ollie higher with less effort. I can actually clear the pyramid with them, too. Definitely wasn't the case with Indy's.
I talked about this with friends a while ago. My pseudo scientific explanation is that looser or better turning trucks absorb differently than tighter or bad turning trucks because the tight ones send the energy straight down while the other absorb the force through shifting before hitting the ground.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

N.L.

« Reply #512 on: March 22, 2016, 11:48:29 AM »
could be. i also think it has to do with axle placement in regards to where it sits on the deck. and the angle of course. Thunder axles are pushed further out towards the tail/nose, indy/ ace sit further in.

Main

« Reply #513 on: March 22, 2016, 11:59:07 AM »
could be. i also think it has to do with axle placement in regards to where it sits on the deck. and the angle of course. Thunder axles are pushed further out towards the tail/nose, indy/ ace sit further in.

Yeah, I think the axle placement thing could definitely be a factor. It would be rad if Ace, Krux, Thunder, and Indy each put out a video or something that talks about how they came up with the design. I'm thinking the "truck wars" episode that will be on the new season of Loveletters might dive into this? Or at least I hope...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #514 on: March 22, 2016, 12:08:45 PM »
obviously the height of a truck impacts the Ollie....but also a trucks geometry affects the wheelbase and the length of the nose and tail..which can change how you Ollie.....

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #515 on: March 22, 2016, 12:36:40 PM »
From what I understand the higher the truck the higher the ollie, to a certain point obviously

BMCsteve

« Reply #516 on: March 22, 2016, 12:41:14 PM »
Truck height and axle placement are a huge factor in ollie effort.  Axle placement is what keeps pulling me back to Thunder over and over.  I've setup identical boards in the past with the only variable being Indy 149 on one setup and Thunder 149 on the other.  I could pop higher on then Thunder setup every single time

At my local park there are a few higher bench/ledges that are a struggle for me to pop onto when I'm skating Indy's and I don't have any issues with Thunders.

You can nerd out on this here - http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.com/2012/03/axle-placement-of-various-trucks.html

Eric ricks

« Reply #517 on: March 22, 2016, 01:51:17 PM »
Truck height and axle placement are a huge factor in ollie effort.  Axle placement is what keeps pulling me back to Thunder over and over.  I've setup identical boards in the past with the only variable being Indy 149 on one setup and Thunder 149 on the other.  I could pop higher on then Thunder setup every single time

At my local park there are a few higher bench/ledges that are a struggle for me to pop onto when I'm skating Indy's and I don't have any issues with Thunders.

You can nerd out on this here - http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.com/2012/03/axle-placement-of-various-trucks.html

Fuck! Thanks for the info!

You got this down to a science!

I ride indys but at 36, a little extra pop sure wouldnt hurt!

Ive rode thunders before but its been like 15 years lol.

How do they turn? Any need to change out bushings etc???

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #518 on: March 22, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just from personal experience and preference, the thunder bushings are the best stock setup. The 149ii's with no bottom washer is the best turning /feeling truck I've ever had. I bought the Thunder 90a rebuild kit and threw the bushings in my Indy's and it was fantastic; way better than the stock indy ones. My only gripe with Thunders is that they're shorter so I have to ride smaller wheels, but IMO it's worth it. Put my Thunders back on until I can get a better bushing/pivot cup combo in my aces.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Main

« Reply #519 on: March 22, 2016, 02:48:22 PM »
Oh, I've been meaning to ask this, how the hell does one accurately measure truck height?

BMCsteve

« Reply #520 on: March 22, 2016, 02:51:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Truck height and axle placement are a huge factor in ollie effort. �Axle placement is what keeps pulling me back to Thunder over and over. �I've setup identical boards in the past with the only variable being Indy 149 on one setup and Thunder 149 on the other. �I could pop higher on then Thunder setup every single time

[close]

[close]
Just from personal experience and preference, the thunder bushings are the best stock setup. The 149ii's with no bottom washer is the best turning /feeling truck I've ever had. I bought the Thunder 90a rebuild kit and threw the bushings in my Indy's and it was fantastic; way better than the stock indy ones. My only gripe with Thunders is that they're shorter so I have to ride smaller wheels, but IMO it's worth it. Put my Thunders back on until I can get a better bushing/pivot cup combo in my aces.

Disclaimer:  That's not my graph.  It was created by the dude who runs that blog and I believe posts on slap now and then.

I had a crisis with Thunders for a long time.  I would constantly get wheelbite.  The only way I could avoid it was putting in the 100a rebuild kit.  I'm not sure if I just got used to them but the stock white bushings work perfectly for me now.

They key is to spend a couple days breaking in the stock bushings.  They will be super soft and mushy at first but on day 3 they actually firm up and have great rebound.

You will absolutely get more wheelbite than Indy's because Thunder's are lower and have a sharper turning radius.  If I'm just skating street it's worth it for me simply because I can pop better with them and my 34 year old legs need all the help they can get  :)

I now have a thunder setup and an indy setup and I love both for different reasons

BMCsteve

« Reply #521 on: March 22, 2016, 02:52:17 PM »
Oh, I've been meaning to ask this, how the hell does one accurately measure truck height?

Bottom of the baseplate to the middle of the axle

Main

« Reply #522 on: March 22, 2016, 02:58:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gotcha. Do you just put the baseplate on a flat surface and go from the flat surface up to the middle of the axle?

BMCsteve

« Reply #523 on: March 22, 2016, 03:09:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Gotcha. Do you just put the baseplate on a flat surface and go from the flat surface up to the middle of the axle?

I've actually never measured them myself.  You can find out the height or pretty much any truck here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13rCMIthFb59Y-xrveasWk4GqR9jgd85fXDCIFm3g15I/edit

N.L.

« Reply #524 on: March 22, 2016, 03:11:41 PM »
BMC steve I have the opposite deal. Thunders weakened my ollies. Ace increased them. I think its less to do with height and more to do with axle location/ geo, in my case.

the dude who created that chart is certifiably insane.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #525 on: March 22, 2016, 03:26:46 PM »
Expand Quote
am i the only one who rub the bushing back and forth on the grip to wear it down, so i can have the trucks very loose ?
[close]
I never thought of this, but it's a damn good idea. Probably going to try that now.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #526 on: March 22, 2016, 03:32:51 PM »
Expand Quote
am i the only one who rub the bushing back and forth on the grip to wear it down, so i can have the trucks very loose ?
[close]
I never thought of this, but it's a damn good idea. Probably going to try that now.
Jordan Trahan actually does this too, he rides suuper loose

Main

« Reply #527 on: March 22, 2016, 04:10:46 PM »
BMC steve I have the opposite deal. Thunders weakened my ollies. Ace increased them. I think its less to do with height and more to do with axle location/ geo, in my case.

the dude who created that chart is certifiably insane.

Yes, but a god amongst men...

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #528 on: March 22, 2016, 04:14:56 PM »
Matt Rodriguez talking about his truck set-up, so fuckin loose  :o
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge7SX6YR_04

Main

« Reply #529 on: March 22, 2016, 06:34:10 PM »
Man I'm full of questions today. Is it normal for Ace's to wear down quicker than other trucks? I feel like with the softer metal mine are already shredding down fast even after just a handful of sessions...

N.L.

« Reply #530 on: March 22, 2016, 06:43:03 PM »
Man I'm full of questions today. Is it normal for Ace's to wear down quicker than other trucks? I feel like with the softer metal mine are already shredding down fast even after just a handful of sessions...

Yes. I've noticed the same. Could be the metal, could also be the shape of the hanger.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #531 on: March 22, 2016, 06:53:16 PM »
Rumor has it back in the day Danny Sargent(maybe wrong spelling) ground a set of Indy's to the axle in one day 

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #532 on: March 22, 2016, 07:42:35 PM »
i just got done with some back and forth emailing with nhs and now i'm sending in my broken indy hollows for new ones, which i'm hyped on since so far they have been my favorite trucks so far, they just make flipping the board easier and are at just the right height. but for now i'll go back to some thunders i got, might try the thunder hollow lights one of these days.

Eric ricks

« Reply #533 on: March 22, 2016, 08:10:18 PM »
Rumor has it back in the day Danny Sargent(maybe wrong spelling) ground a set of Indy's to the axle in one day 

Thats one heck of a slappy session! Yeah Danny!!!

Main

« Reply #534 on: March 22, 2016, 08:28:59 PM »
i just got done with some back and forth emailing with nhs and now i'm sending in my broken indy hollows for new ones, which i'm hyped on since so far they have been my favorite trucks so far, they just make flipping the board easier and are at just the right height. but for now i'll go back to some thunders i got, might try the thunder hollow lights one of these days.

Part of the reason why I've never messed with hollow anything. I also feel like they'd feel...well....hollow. Like a dead weight instead of a solid one, even if it's heavy I don't care. I need life in my trucks! Hope those replacements work out for ya though.

Crow T. Robot

• Rep: 26
« Reply #535 on: March 23, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
Procrastinated on ordering some Krux downlow kingpins, and now they seem to be sold out everywhere I check. Anybody have a link? Much appreciated if so.
EDIT. 35th had some, but shipping was about $6.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 01:02:08 PM by Crow T. Robot »

Main

« Reply #536 on: March 23, 2016, 02:09:13 PM »
Procrastinated on ordering some Krux downlow kingpins, and now they seem to be sold out everywhere I check. Anybody have a link? Much appreciated if so.
EDIT. 35th had some, but shipping was about $6.

I was gonna link to NHS directly and then SoCal Skate Shop but both are sold out. $6 ain't the end of the world though, if you don't wanna wait I'd just go with that option.

N.L.

« Reply #537 on: March 24, 2016, 08:08:26 PM »
This thread needs more photos. 151, 159, 55 in various stages of use...

BMCsteve

« Reply #538 on: March 24, 2016, 08:42:40 PM »
Nice job man!  I see some axle peeking through on those Thunders

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #539 on: March 24, 2016, 09:25:50 PM »
Given an hour or two I can ollie the same height riding pretty much any truck (5 decks).

I find that stability/lower trucks is what allows me to ollie better as I have more time to setup and get ready to pop. In a straight line, on even terrain anyway.

I find the 55mm truck group Indys/Ace/Krux take more effort to get ready to ollie (I ride loose and they are carvy).

Don't ride Gullwing. Just. Don't.