Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220757 times)

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #690 on: May 06, 2016, 07:48:56 PM »

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #691 on: May 06, 2016, 07:51:53 PM »
They are the highest of the lows. If you want to get shitty trucks that break be my guest

Main

« Reply #692 on: May 06, 2016, 08:34:59 PM »
They are the highest of the lows. If you want to get shitty trucks that break be my guest

Look at the date in the right hand corner of that photo...

The whole bending issue was fixed last year.

Indy's aren't a bad choice but the way he described his ideal truck performance, Ace would be the better of the two.

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #693 on: May 06, 2016, 11:15:42 PM »
Anyone try Indy's aftermarket bushings in Aces? If so, cylinder or conical, and standard or low?

Bones mediums? Thunder bushings?

Just trying to see if there's other good ones besides Krux specifically for Ace.
I tried the Bones Mediums. Didn't work for me. I LOVE the Thunder 90a rebuild kit bushings in my Aces. Best truck/bushing combo I've ever had. Even with the top washer I can get it wobbly loose, but it's still really stable.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #694 on: May 06, 2016, 11:43:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My trusty Ventures died on me today. Trying to figure out what trucks to get next...reading this thread makes me wanna get Ace 44's. I prefer my trucks loose, turny, and not Indy height. Good choice?
[close]

Yep.
[close]

I think Ace 44's are a higher feeling truck.....and to me...they turn very very differently than a venture.....turny and turns good is really subjective. Does anyone say 'I like trucks that don't turn well...' Yet we all,skate different trucks.....

You can ride any truck loose....Dae won rides Tensors loose....

If you liked ventures....thunders?  Or any lo truck.....to me a venture to an ace is like going from a 7.75 to a welcome board....

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #695 on: May 07, 2016, 04:42:50 AM »
Yeah I'm looking for something that turns similar to Venture Hi's (sharper than Indy). I hate Thunders, couldn't get them loose enough to my liking. Indy's are ok too but they're just not as forgiving as Ventures when I land sloppy.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #696 on: May 07, 2016, 07:56:15 AM »
Yah I guess maybe try a lo truck ie. Ace or Indy.....or go into a shop and eyeball an ace....most guys I see skating aces skate them rattly ie good for loose truck guys....I don't know if it's the actual height or geometry but aces feel high to me.....

Aces are super fun....I like em....I just think they are much different than ventures....

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #697 on: May 11, 2016, 02:44:06 PM »
anyone ever try the super soft white Indy aftermarket bushings?
hardly art, hardly starving

Shartarse

• Rep: 0
« Reply #698 on: May 11, 2016, 05:00:09 PM »
What's the consensus on the best truck for skating fast and bombing hills?

I've been riding ace 44s for the last year and absolutely love them, but because they are so responsive and crazy turny I find that they can be a bit susceptible to speed wobbles and are generally less stable at high speeds unless tightened (which I hate). That's great fun for skating my city but I'm going to be working in up in the Pyrenees over summer (stopping by barca on the way there ;D ) with nothing but crazy hills around me, so want to make a hill bombing setup. My first thought was obviously Indys given the slight deadzone before they start turning, but wanted to check what slap had to say? Do any other trucks compete with Indys for stability? (Excluding all longboard shit that is ;))

Cheers in advance
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:05:14 PM by Shartarse »

Main

« Reply #699 on: May 11, 2016, 09:40:47 PM »
What's the consensus on the best truck for skating fast and bombing hills?

I've been riding ace 44s for the last year and absolutely love them, but because they are so responsive and crazy turny I find that they can be a bit susceptible to speed wobbles and are generally less stable at high speeds unless tightened (which I hate). That's great fun for skating my city but I'm going to be working in up in the Pyrenees over summer (stopping by barca on the way there ;D ) with nothing but crazy hills around me, so want to make a hill bombing setup. My first thought was obviously Indys given the slight deadzone before they start turning, but wanted to check what slap had to say? Do any other trucks compete with Indys for stability? (Excluding all longboard shit that is ;))

Cheers in advance

Oh you can bomb hills with some loose ass Ace's. Watch Stranger show you how it's done:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=duEQ2SQcDoQ

N.L.

« Reply #700 on: May 11, 2016, 09:44:49 PM »
consider what frank has done on a set of thunders...

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #701 on: May 12, 2016, 08:12:40 AM »
consider what frank has done on a set of thunders...

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #702 on: May 16, 2016, 09:45:21 AM »
I have a set of Indy Ti 149's that are a couple years old.  The pivot cup area on the actual baseplate is pretty blown out and there's some lateral wiggle.  I was wondering if I could frankenstein the hangers w/ a set of Stage 10 baseplates?  Would that mess with kingpin clearance at all?  I realize I'd be giving up the hollow kingpin, which isn't a big deal to me.  Just wondering if the kingpin length between Stage 10 and Stage 11's were any different?

BMCsteve

« Reply #703 on: May 16, 2016, 10:02:36 AM »
I have a set of Indy Ti 149's that are a couple years old.  The pivot cup area on the actual baseplate is pretty blown out and there's some lateral wiggle.  I was wondering if I could frankenstein the hangers w/ a set of Stage 10 baseplates?  Would that mess with kingpin clearance at all?  I realize I'd be giving up the hollow kingpin, which isn't a big deal to me.  Just wondering if the kingpin length between Stage 10 and Stage 11's were any different?

Baseplate and kingpin on the 10's is the same as the 11's.  only the hangar is different.  you will be all good

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #704 on: May 16, 2016, 11:05:36 AM »
Thanks, Steve. Looking forward to getting more life out of them.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #705 on: May 17, 2016, 11:27:56 AM »
What do you guys think of truck heights and hanger angles? I noticed trying out royals(the new remastered ones after the IV)and in an active interview with mike Carroll on Royal trucks they designed it to have a quicker pop and it's true, they give such a fast pop response but I noticed they're the same height as thunder 145/147 hi trucks, I like them a lot but I always fall back to my thunder 147  ;D

Tried Indy and kruxtrucks but the 55mm tallness throws me off when I'm too lazy to really pop and the Indy turn is a bit too smooth for my skating, the kruxtrucks are good in the middle but kind of have play at times on the turn

What up bmcsteve its me Tanguhlang from IG
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #706 on: May 18, 2016, 11:35:08 AM »
I like Thunder height and hanger angle; lowish but not too low and the angle helps push out the wheelbase a bit. I find that Thunders don't really let me turn, but they allow me to move in the direction I want to go ;)

Krux/Standard Indys feel tippy to me. Like I'm propped up.

Aces feel lower than they are (54mm).

If Indy made an 8.25" forged or Krux made an 8.25" downlow I'd bite for sure.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #707 on: May 18, 2016, 01:30:02 PM »
I think w lower trucks....when you lean...they react quickly...high trucks....react slower but the turning radius is usually better.....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #708 on: May 18, 2016, 03:10:22 PM »
Yeah I'm on my good ole thunder 147 lights right now, the royals angle gave it a nice quick pop but I wasn't getting that timing for pulling my ollies up higher, it would pop before I could try and drag my foot up more :-\

So far though the thunder lights are doing me really well, I tried forged and never liked it before(had the forged krux,Indy, and thunder) but idk gave it a shot again and loving it. So light.

I feel like thunder trucks are truly the best street trucks, indy's are good too but idk that height and turn are more suited for cruising and carving rather than technical stuff. It's all preference in the end though. ;)
(I've tried most trucks and I could always rely on my thunder 147 hi for my preferred skating flat ground, ledges, gaps, sometimes stairs. I've tried venture lows, krux talls and downlows, independent standards and the lows, thunder hi and lows, Royals, silver, all 8" and thunder always does it for me. Tried the old and new 149ers thunders too and they were very stable and full of control, the weight always threw me off though)

Might be going down to some 145 lo though, tried it out the other week to see what I use to ride on and there was a noticeable loss in stability but flip tricks were so easy to form and land, riding and ollieing things was a tad off cause of the smaller turn radius when cruising and leveling out
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #709 on: May 18, 2016, 04:18:49 PM »
Yeah I'm on my good ole thunder 147 lights right now, the royals angle gave it a nice quick pop but I wasn't getting that timing for pulling my ollies up higher, it would pop before I could try and drag my foot up more :-\

So far though the thunder lights are doing me really well, I tried forged and never liked it before(had the forged krux,Indy, and thunder) but idk gave it a shot again and loving it. So light.

I feel like thunder trucks are truly the best street trucks, indy's are good too but idk that height and turn are more suited for cruising and carving rather than technical stuff. It's all preference in the end though. ;)
(I've tried most trucks and I could always rely on my thunder 147 hi for my preferred skating flat ground, ledges, gaps, sometimes stairs. I've tried venture lows, krux talls and downlows, independent standards and the lows, thunder hi and lows, Royals, silver, all 8" and thunder always does it for me. Tried the old and new 149ers thunders too and they were very stable and full of control, the weight always threw me off though)

Might be going down to some 145 lo though, tried it out the other week to see what I use to ride on and there was a noticeable loss in stability but flip tricks were so easy to form and land, riding and ollieing things was a tad off cause of the smaller turn radius when cruising and leveling out

Yup.

Love my Thunders or anything other than tranny, totally skateable mind you. They're great for street and I skate really well on them.

ACEs for days in bowls (don't have ramps to skate)

N.L.

« Reply #710 on: May 18, 2016, 08:51:19 PM »
Agreed. I will say that Thunders are also good in back and fore half pipe vertical scenarios.

But for roundwall- nothing beats Ace.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #711 on: May 19, 2016, 12:48:27 AM »
Anyone tried the thunder maxium bushings?

I was riding the the hard bones but they are like 20$ in Europe, thunders are 3 times cheaper and they look pretty well.

http://www.tactics.com/thunder/skate-bushing-tube-2-truck-set/neon-yellow-maximum

Thanks!

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #712 on: May 19, 2016, 01:08:30 AM »
on the link you gave theres a review for them and the guy said theyre stiffer than the stock so im guessing they still have the quick tweaky turn but just harder, anyone trying thunder bushings should definitely get the 90a white soft ones, malto and koston dont ride the white thunder bushings over the yellow translucent ones for no reason

i use to ride my old thunder 147(before the remaster) with the stock yellow bushings and thought they were the best but recently tried them again and noticed they were somewhat stiffer and squeakier compared to the awesome white 90a

so just like ripped laces said in the 149 II review the translucent thunder bushings need to be at a tightened to a sweet spot to get that turn you want but the white ones are just all around better loose or tight it has better stability and response. makes me think if urethane should ever even be translucent, like did those ricta clear wheels or the new bones clear wheels ever work out? i feel like they would not slide or last like classic white urethane wheels. but enough about wheels this is a trucks thread aha
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #713 on: May 19, 2016, 09:09:06 AM »
I think I read in an interview w. George Powell....that I don't know if you guys remember but Powell did the clear formula years ago like in the 90's?  And no one bought them.....so they added white colouring and that's the current STF/SPF......so these could be more or less the same....

Might have made some improvements though too....

Main

« Reply #714 on: May 19, 2016, 05:32:14 PM »
Bones are still relevant and their STF's are great, but it seems like the old school dudes stick with them. Most are riding F4's or some other company. I prefer F4 classics as they can handle anything besides a slippery indoor park but fuck those anyways.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #715 on: May 20, 2016, 12:30:56 AM »
Ahaha right! Fuck indoor parks, they're only good for a desperate session on a rainy day and if you don't have classic regular 99a or softer wheels the sessions gonna take some getting use to.

I think the playing ground is gonna level out these next few weeks where there's a majority riding stf's and formula fours rather than just formula fours taking over the game, I feel everyone's gonna start feeling the hype on bones again and some will go back to that feel if they liked it. Idk though bones stf's were good before formula fours but tried them again and noticed how they stick At times and felt so plastic and hard.

Formula fours are just so reliable, those 99a just have it all
yes

Main

« Reply #716 on: May 20, 2016, 08:45:01 AM »
Yup yup...anyway back to trucks. Anyone prefer the old Ace design over the new one? Just curious...

BMCsteve

« Reply #717 on: May 20, 2016, 09:31:50 AM »
Yup yup...anyway back to trucks. Anyone prefer the old Ace design over the new one? Just curious...

Not sure if there would be anything to prefer on the old Ace design.  Same geometry, height, materials, etc.  The only advantage the old design could have would be they're a bit lighter but that's only because they lacked aluminum in the structural areas to prevent them from bending

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #718 on: May 20, 2016, 08:14:18 PM »
stepped on some aces that were my friends, and damn those were wiggly. they were so loose it was scary and the nut was flush on the kingpin. i already knew they were too loose for my skating. but idk kinda interested in the ACE 03 lows
yes

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #719 on: May 22, 2016, 01:20:10 AM »
Anybody else weird and enjoy Aces and Thunders even though they are sooo much different. I'm always torn between which one's I want to have on my set-up.