Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232472 times)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5340 on: May 25, 2019, 12:36:39 AM »
I might try some ventures in the future now those are available!!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Powerlesspillars

« Reply #5341 on: May 27, 2019, 11:24:14 AM »
Who needs finish work on hangars and axles

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #5342 on: May 27, 2019, 01:45:31 PM »
For those who skate without washers, is there any big difference? Thinking about taking mine off.

Makes them more cruisey and sensitive turning, I ride with tops but no bottoms, some people do vise versa or without either, supposedly reduces the lifeline of the bushings by shredding them faster but I'm a few months into this setup and haven't had an issue

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #5343 on: May 27, 2019, 08:25:29 PM »
Expand Quote
For those who skate without washers, is there any big difference? Thinking about taking mine off.
[close]

Makes them more cruisey and sensitive turning, I ride with tops but no bottoms, some people do vise versa or without either, supposedly reduces the lifeline of the bushings by shredding them faster but I'm a few months into this setup and haven't had an issue
it really depends on the quality of the bushings themselves. low quality low rebound bushings last longer and have more rebound without washers because of the constant pressure of the washers not allowing the bushings regain its shape. its definitely a smoother turn and its more stable feeling because you feel more in control of the turn rather than the truck turning a certain amount and just stopping because of the washers binding. i guess the only problem is wheel bite, but you'll get used to it and eventually you'll get be able to ride without wheelbiting.

Diocletian

« Reply #5344 on: May 27, 2019, 09:54:25 PM »
Every time I’ve tried bushings without washers they’ve made my set-up sound really dead, even if I made sure the nut was tightened enough so there was no play. Bones bushings with a bottom washer and no top washer on Ace’s works good without the dead sound, though.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5345 on: May 27, 2019, 10:11:51 PM »

Removing the bottom washer would fuck up the geometry, so i'm guessing you're talking about the top washer?

Heywoodfloyd

• Rep: 13
« Reply #5346 on: May 28, 2019, 04:26:45 AM »
I think the washers job is to keep the bushings from deforming to much, and to help them keep their shape. So maybe you get a deeper turn without them.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5347 on: May 28, 2019, 04:37:29 AM »
Taking out washers sound as stupid as poping out shields from bearings.
Just a thought.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #5348 on: May 28, 2019, 05:16:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
it really depends on the quality of the bushings themselves. low quality low rebound bushings last longer and have more rebound without washers because of the constant pressure of the washers not allowing the bushings regain its shape. its definitely a smoother turn and its more stable feeling because you feel more in control of the turn rather than the truck turning a certain amount and just stopping because of the washers binding. i guess the only problem is wheel bite, but you'll get used to it and eventually you'll get be able to ride without wheelbiting.

On some trucks you can get the same effect by using a flat washer on the bottom instead of the cupped washer. That way you keep the same geometry. 

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #5349 on: May 28, 2019, 06:31:36 AM »
I might try some ventures in the future now those are available!!

Oh shit! I've got an 8.25 sitting around that's begging for these.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5350 on: May 28, 2019, 06:49:44 AM »
One more time, they are low's? 

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #5351 on: May 29, 2019, 09:08:06 AM »
Someone responded to me on the Venture instagram that the 5.6s are 53.5mm tall.  So yeah, same height as their other high trucks. 

ballintoohard

« Reply #5352 on: May 29, 2019, 10:01:49 AM »
Impulse bought some Thunder Ti Lights last night and I don't even skate Thunders. Been on Indy's for a while, but don't love them. Got some Venture 5.8 on another setup and they feel kinda like Indy, but not super sold on them.  Hopefully these Thunders solve some madness.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #5353 on: May 29, 2019, 10:06:53 AM »
Has anybody ever skated trucks that are significantly narrower than their deck? I'm curious about Venture lows, but I ride an 8.5 and would rather not size down because I have big feet.

I've used 44s on an 8.75". I wouldn't do it all the time but it was workable and gave some leverage for flip tricks. It just didn't feel good on leges or coping as locking in felt a little sketch.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5354 on: May 29, 2019, 12:57:12 PM »
So venture had the chance of coming out with an technical street truck(low). At 8.25, and they made it tall. I mean nobody else makes tall trucks :-*. Right. Jippikayeee!

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #5355 on: May 29, 2019, 02:03:15 PM »
Venture 8.25 low would be sweet

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #5356 on: May 29, 2019, 06:50:51 PM »

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #5357 on: May 30, 2019, 12:18:01 PM »

I'm setting this up next (8.5) with loose 169s.  The widest trucks I've had in the past on an 8.5 were some thunder 151. Should be interesting.
Is this a Niki Lauda tribute setup?

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5358 on: May 30, 2019, 05:27:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hopefully they would be like the old thunder 149ers

Low and in control, so much center of gravity feel I regret it so hard giving them up

A little on the heavy side cause they were 8.4 standard gravity cast but man they were like if you took the real low pro II deck and made it into a truck, what a combo that would be
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #5359 on: May 30, 2019, 06:13:31 PM »
Losing it again. Changed my new thunder 147s last night back to Indy 139s yet without even riding them, pondering the thunders again. Keep in mind I also have venture lo 5.0 and 5.25

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5360 on: May 30, 2019, 10:30:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Low and in control, so much center of gravity feel I regret it so hard giving them up

A little on the heavy side cause they were 8.4 standard gravity cast but man they were like if you took the real low pro II deck and made it into a truck, what a combo that would be

Just seems dumb for venture to come out with something that competes w. Indy versus thunder... I can maybe see some team riders, but anyone else that wants a high truck, just skates Indy or ace. 

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #5361 on: May 30, 2019, 10:49:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Just seems dumb for venture to come out with something that competes w. Indy versus thunder... I can maybe see some team riders, but anyone else that wants a high truck, just skates Indy or ace.

As trucks get wider wheelbite gets easier, so low trucks make less sense.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5362 on: May 30, 2019, 11:12:19 PM »
I'm loving the thunder 148's....was considering the ventures but now bought another set of thunders....

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5363 on: May 30, 2019, 11:19:23 PM »
I'm loving the thunder 148's....was considering the ventures but now bought another set of thunders....

What size board do you pair them with? 8.25 trucks are ....they should be for me: old, can’t make up mind, want to ride big boards, skate bad on big boards. I got the 144s and wasn’t stoked. Ace 44s are sick, but I dunno. Wtf am I talking about. I just need to reconcile that I’m too decrepit to flick anything larger than an 8”.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #5364 on: May 30, 2019, 11:37:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

But Ventures turn totally different (less sharply, until leant on hard) to Indy/Thunder/Ace? Hasn’t that been established time ago?

Anyway I’m not keen on lows apart from 5 mins dicking around on flat every so often.

Apart from on Slap I imagine Hi is what they sell most of now, lows being a little more for the educated buyer.

I’m sure they will make them if 5.6’s take off... it’s a test run, no v-light,hollow,titanium or thankfully pretty colours yet either.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #5365 on: May 31, 2019, 01:17:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What size board do you pair them with? 8.25 trucks are ....they should be for me: old, can’t make up mind, want to ride big boards, skate bad on big boards. I got the 144s and wasn’t stoked. Ace 44s are sick, but I dunno. Wtf am I talking about. I just need to reconcile that I’m too decrepit to flick anything larger than an 8”.

I came to that conclusion about myself as well. 😂
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Powerlesspillars

« Reply #5366 on: May 31, 2019, 03:40:31 AM »
Going to try 8.125 on 44's if I can find one locally

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5367 on: May 31, 2019, 05:04:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I came to that conclusion about myself as well. 😂

It’s amazing, to me, that I keep trying to ride larger stuff. I do need to ride bigger wheels, and that makes a small board look even dumber. Almost as dumb as a 40+ year old on a skateboard.

I’m not sure about you, but I also don’t get as worn out, as quickly, on smaller boards
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 08:42:19 AM by Ok »

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #5368 on: May 31, 2019, 08:24:18 AM »
Losing it again. Changed my new thunder 147s last night back to Indy 139s yet without even riding them, pondering the thunders again. Keep in mind I also have venture lo 5.0 and 5.25

Sell me your Venture low 5.25 lol. I help you with your madness.  ;D

ballintoohard

« Reply #5369 on: May 31, 2019, 09:05:01 AM »
I have Ace, Indy, Venture, and Thunder at home.  Can never figure out which I like best. Thunders have the most stable manual, I like Ace minus locking into certain grinds, Indys are all around hard to complain about and the Venture feel like a more fun/floppy Thunder. I think someone could adapt to all of them depending on what board they like.  So far my best combo has been a Polar 8.5 or Quasi Proto 8.25 with Ace or a DLX 8.25 Full SE (hard as fuck to find) with Indys.  I like Thunders with my FA I have currently, but don't really like that deck quite as much.