Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1230785 times)

FrozenIndustries

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5790 on: July 17, 2019, 06:12:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It'd be cool if someone else who's bought new Indy's lately could confirm/deny this, because I'd be skeptical too.
[close]
yes please, also do they feel any different from the old stock ones? do you have any aftermarket 90a ones you could compare them to? do the standards also have the new bushings?
[close]

On my older set of casts I have the 90a aftermarkets (I have the 88a as well, as you can see in the pic but I found them a bit too mushy). Anyway, in my subjective opinion, the bushings that came in the new forged hollow set feel the same as the aftermarket 90a's. There was little to no break in time, felt good pretty much right away. Don't know about the standards, the only set of standards I have are USA stamped ones that have to be at least 2/3 years old at this point.

I know some dudes are hesitant to fuck with new trucks right away, but if any adventurous types with new Indy's want to check the bushings, see if they have the lathed surfaces of the aftermarkets, it would be greatly appreciated.

Bought some 159s in June from my local and they had the standard bushings. Busy shop (Nocturnal in Philly) so I don't think it is too likely that they're old stock or anything.

I wish they would just use the nicer aftermarket bushings. The medium-hard (blue) bushings really changed how I feel about Independent.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5791 on: July 17, 2019, 06:49:47 AM »
I know some dudes are hesitant to fuck with new trucks right away, but if any adventurous types with new Indy's want to check the bushings, see if they have the lathed surfaces of the aftermarkets, it would be greatly appreciated.
The only difference I can tell is the aftermarkets are more opaque in their orange tint, and maybe a mm shorter than the ones that come stock. Noticed that the stock ones had the bottom bushing upside down (rings facing boardside). That's a pet peeve.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5792 on: July 17, 2019, 07:45:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It'd be cool if someone else who's bought new Indy's lately could confirm/deny this, because I'd be skeptical too.
[close]
yes please, also do they feel any different from the old stock ones? do you have any aftermarket 90a ones you could compare them to? do the standards also have the new bushings?
[close]

On my older set of casts I have the 90a aftermarkets (I have the 88a as well, as you can see in the pic but I found them a bit too mushy). Anyway, in my subjective opinion, the bushings that came in the new forged hollow set feel the same as the aftermarket 90a's. There was little to no break in time, felt good pretty much right away. Don't know about the standards, the only set of standards I have are USA stamped ones that have to be at least 2/3 years old at this point.

[close]

Bought some 159s in June from my local and they had the standard bushings. Busy shop (Nocturnal in Philly) so I don't think it is too likely that they're old stock or anything.

I wish they would just use the nicer aftermarket bushings. The medium-hard (blue) bushings really changed how I feel about Independent.

Regular 159s? What are you rubbing them on? Indy’s are kinda whatever for me, but 159s are dope. But then it’s just too much

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #5793 on: July 17, 2019, 08:29:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Regular 159s? What are you rubbing them on? Indy’s are kinda whatever for me, but 159s are dope. But then it’s just too much

Yeah, standard, I don't like forged baseplates. If they had they Reynolds hollows (cast plate) I would have loved to have tried them, though I don't think those even come in 159.

I was skating an 8.75 Theories (somewhere in the setup thread) and didn't want to run my 149s and magic carpet out. Mostly curbs, small ledges, and my local DIY.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:33:13 AM by FrozenIndustries »

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5794 on: July 17, 2019, 08:45:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The only difference I can tell is the aftermarkets are more opaque in their orange tint, and maybe a mm shorter than the ones that come stock. Noticed that the stock ones had the bottom bushing upside down (rings facing boardside). That's a pet peeve.

Wait wait the rings side of the bushing are supposed to be against the hangar??

I’ve been thinking they’re supposed to face the washer/board side cause it’s the sharper flatter edged surface of the bushing that doesn’t have enough give like the rounded edged side that when pushed against the hangar has a lot of give therefore more rebound and response but not a lot of stability and center

Can anyone else confirm the side of the bushing with the rings on the face is supposed to go against the hangar/roadside??

yes

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #5795 on: July 17, 2019, 08:54:04 AM »
Can anyone else confirm the side of the bushing with the rings on the face is supposed to go against the hangar/roadside??
Madness inception

I AM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
« Reply #5796 on: July 17, 2019, 09:04:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I’ve been thinking they’re supposed to face the washer/board side cause it’s the sharper flatter edged surface of the bushing that doesn’t have enough give like the rounded edged side that when pushed against the hangar has a lot of give therefore more rebound and response but not a lot of stability and center

the purpose of the rings (i think) is to grip the hanger and keep it on center/help with rebound. more give means less rebound because rebound comes from resistance to give. also with bushings that have the rings, you can see that the top bushings always have the rings on the hanger side, so unless you ride top bushings upside down, you'd be able to figure it out just by that alone. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 09:08:11 AM by I AM »

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #5797 on: July 17, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I finally got over the name and logo and ordered myself some Theeve’s. I’ve been beating up and grinding down my Ace 55’s but I’m ready for something that I can ride just as loose with a bit more stability + lightness. So I’m stoked to try them out and have a good feeling. Hope my kingpin doesn’t fall out like Steve’s though!
[close]

I almost did the same yesterday but settled on Indy Hollows since they weren't much more expensive and I know what I'm getting. I don't know what it is about the Theeve Hanger that just turns me off. It just seems so fat and angular and flat, like a thicker Venture hanger without the lines.

Anyways I'm curious how you get on with them - please let us know how you feel they match up to the usual suspects.
[close]

i miss the old hanger from the V1. has anyone tried both V1/V2/V3 and compared? i have an old pair of TiAX V1 that I love and thinking about getting a new pair.. but it looks like they are using the CSX hanger now
[close]

The old hanger is soooo nice!

On V1 or V2 I never had quality issues.
V3s feel exactly the same.
Never have BMCs baseplate rounding/kingpin issue.

I've only ever purchased TiKing.

If you ride ace loose be warned you can't them to feel like ace. The bottom bushing is very tall, like thunder tall so replacing it can be tricky.

thanks xen. i'll give the v3 a try
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #5798 on: July 17, 2019, 09:38:52 AM »
can anyone give me the layman's breakdown for no top washer vs. no bottom washer?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 846
« Reply #5799 on: July 17, 2019, 09:40:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
the purpose of the rings (i think) is to grip the hanger and keep it on center/help with rebound. more give means less rebound because rebound comes from resistance to give. also with bushings that have the rings, you can see that the top bushings always have the rings on the hanger side, so unless you ride top bushings upside down, you'd be able to figure it out just by that alone.

I have a set of Forged Hollow 149's on the way, I'll check when they get here.

Does Thunder have a stock top bushing with the rings? The reason I ask is because I also have what I thought was a matched set of stock indys from my FH red anodized 144's that have the sloppy pitted urethane but if the rings is an indy exclusive thing then I've been totally wrong about them. The pitted ones I thought came from the 144's are shiny while the ones with the ring are more of a matte finish that matches the bottom barrel bushing from the Thunders. I should really start keeping track of these things rather than just throwing everything into my "more bushins for the pushin" jar.

thebacker

« Reply #5800 on: July 17, 2019, 09:59:27 AM »
can anyone give me the layman's breakdown for no top washer vs. no bottom washer?
i second this

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5801 on: July 17, 2019, 10:14:14 AM »
guys, the "rings" are just CNC marks from the bushings being cut and have absolutely nothing to do with the performance of the bushing

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #5802 on: July 17, 2019, 10:40:52 AM »
guys, the "rings" are just CNC marks from the bushings being cut and have absolutely nothing to do with the performance of the bushing

You clearly haven't read through the other 194 pages of meth insanity that people put into their trucks
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5803 on: July 17, 2019, 12:27:29 PM »
Ha. Meth insanity.

As someone who makes dubious ‘contributions’, at best, this one is fairly out there, and it’s not even trucks:

What brand of hardware has a larger diameter Allen head? Frequently taking things apart (walkmans, burner phones, you know meth nest shit) to switch the trucks around leaves some larger diameter holes for the mounting hardware. I blame the truck chase.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5804 on: July 17, 2019, 12:31:48 PM »

Is it not the way to determine between aftermarket (cause aftermarkets are machined like you said on a CNC) vs the stock bushings which are just moulded (which lack the machining marks, and are usually full of air bubbles/cavities)?

Never insinuated the machining marks did anything special, just a way to determine how they're made.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5805 on: July 17, 2019, 12:41:46 PM »
Ya I don't care about the rings for any performance reason, I'm just curious because I'd like to be able to identify what bushings are from what truck but I get all impatient when I'm setting up my trucks and just throw everything I haven't used together in a little plastic cup (the kind you piss in for drug tests) and stuff it in my box of crap. Then, when my madness overwhelms me and I decide I want to try the stock bushings I pull it out and have no idea where any of it came from.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #5806 on: July 17, 2019, 01:26:50 PM »
What brand of hardware has a larger diameter Allen head? Frequently taking things apart to switch the trucks around leaves some larger diameter holes for the mounting hardware. I blame the truck chase.
Indy and Bronze have the wider, shallower heads on their bolts.

BMCsteve

« Reply #5807 on: July 17, 2019, 01:27:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is it not the way to determine between aftermarket (cause aftermarkets are machined like you said on a CNC) vs the stock bushings which are just moulded (which lack the machining marks, and are usually full of air bubbles/cavities)?

Never insinuated the machining marks did anything special, just a way to determine how they're made.

No you're exactly correct that it's the easiest way to tell the difference.  Someone else said the rings grip the hanger to create better rebound  ;D  my fault for not quoting them and making it confusing

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5808 on: July 17, 2019, 01:42:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No you're exactly correct that it's the easiest way to tell the difference.  Someone else said the rings grip the hanger to create better rebound  ;D  my fault for not quoting them and making it confusing

No worries, all good.

I didn't mean to start rampant speculation about Indy's throwing better stock bushings in their product. When I took the forged hollows apart to swap the bushings I was more than surprised to see they were pretty much identical to the aftermarkets. I'd call it a fluke until someone else comes up with another instance of finding them.

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5809 on: July 17, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »
I recently got a new set of Indy Forged Titaniums and noticed the bushings seem different now. Comparing them to my aftermarket Indy bushings they have the same type of design. In the Skate Warehouse product description it said they had Supercush bushings, so I guess that's why. From the factory they were installed with the machined side facing boardside which I thought seemed weird. I went ahead and flipped the bottom bushing around because it was bugging my truck OCD  :P

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5810 on: July 17, 2019, 03:22:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No worries, all good.

I didn't mean to start rampant speculation about Indy's throwing better stock bushings in their product. When I took the forged hollows apart to swap the bushings I was more than surprised to see they were pretty much identical to the aftermarkets. I'd call it a fluke until someone else comes up with another instance of finding them.

So the machined sharp edged side of the big bushing goes against your hangar/roadside

And the smooth non machined side goes against the washer/deckside ?
yes

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5811 on: July 17, 2019, 04:58:43 PM »
I recently got a new set of Indy Forged Titaniums and noticed the bushings seem different now. Comparing them to my aftermarket Indy bushings they have the same type of design. In the Skate Warehouse product description it said they had Supercush bushings, so I guess that's why. From the factory they were installed with the machined side facing boardside which I thought seemed weird. I went ahead and flipped the bottom bushing around because it was bugging my truck OCD  :P

Perhaps then they're putting 'better' bushings in the more expensive trucks, like the titaniums and forged hollows?

As for the right/wrong way the bushings should face. Don't know. It stands to reason that since the top bushing can only be installed one way, with the machined surface touching the hanger, then the bottom should match and also have the machined face touching the hanger. Just a guess, but I have nothing to back that up with. 

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #5812 on: July 17, 2019, 05:17:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i second this
NO TOP WASHER
pros : stable while providing a deep smooth turn, correct geometry
cons : the kingpin nut may dig into the top bushing and depending on the quality of the bushing, it will either create a crevice in the bushing, making it looser and looser every time you go skate, or it will start cracking in the same area.
NO BOTTOM WASHER
pros : lower center of gravity, depending on the setup top washers may stop you before wheel bite
cons : incorrect geometry, less turn, unstable on center
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 05:19:13 PM by I AM »

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5813 on: July 17, 2019, 05:59:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Perhaps then they're putting 'better' bushings in the more expensive trucks, like the titaniums and forged hollows?

As for the right/wrong way the bushings should face. Don't know. It stands to reason that since the top bushing can only be installed one way, with the machined surface touching the hanger, then the bottom should match and also have the machined face touching the hanger. Just a guess, but I have nothing to back that up with.

Yeah that was pretty much my thinking on it. I was just surprised they came like that from the factory. But considering Indy moved operations to China, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise I guess. I have to admit the Forged Titanium 149's are really nice though. Guess I've finally reached the age where light trucks actually make a noticeable difference haha!

Chaos Acoustic

« Reply #5814 on: July 18, 2019, 07:00:43 AM »
I bought a set of 144 standard and the bottom bushing was “upside down “ as well. Also air bubble on the top bushing of one truck ( protruding). One of the bottom bushings is splitting vertically/internally. Extra metal on the axle causing my bearing to jam. Extra metal under the hanger covering the air hole for the axle. Skated once at stock setting and now sitting on a shelf. FML

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #5815 on: July 18, 2019, 07:26:01 AM »
That explains the same design just a little more "clearness" to the orange on the Titaniums. They did feel good standing, but I took them off anyway to put on my broken in aftermarkets. I will pop these in and see how they ride now.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5816 on: July 18, 2019, 07:31:24 AM »
Expand Quote
What brand of hardware has a larger diameter Allen head? Frequently taking things apart to switch the trucks around leaves some larger diameter holes for the mounting hardware. I blame the truck chase.
[close]
Indy and Bronze have the wider, shallower heads on their bolts.

Appreciate the answers

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5817 on: July 18, 2019, 08:39:08 AM »
Yeah that was pretty much my thinking on it. I was just surprised they came like that from the factory. But considering Indy moved operations to China, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise I guess. I have to admit the Forged Titanium 149's are really nice though. Guess I've finally reached the age where light trucks actually make a noticeable difference haha!

If you think those are light try a pair of Tensor mag lights sometime if you get the chance. They're crazy light and the new geometry ones ride a lot like a Thunder if you swap the bushings. They're pretty much the ultimate "old legs' truck, I think they're even lighter than the $250 theeve titanium ones.

While we're on the subject, I asked this a few pages back but didn't see an answer so I'll try again. Does anyone know the true axle length of Tensor 5.75's? Some places list them as 8.5" and some list them as 8.375". The Tensor site says 8.5 but they also list the 5.5's as 8.25" when the ones I have are actually 8.125". It's not a huge difference but the madness overwhelms me and I have to know before I buy a set.

BMCsteve

« Reply #5818 on: July 18, 2019, 08:42:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you think those are light try a pair of Tensor mag lights sometime if you get the chance. They're crazy light and the new geometry ones ride a lot like a Thunder if you swap the bushings. They're pretty much the ultimate "old legs' truck, I think they're even lighter than the $250 theeve titanium ones.

While we're on the subject, I asked this a few pages back but didn't see an answer so I'll try again. Does anyone know the true axle length of Tensor 5.75's? Some places list them as 8.5" and some list them as 8.375". The Tensor site says 8.5 but they also list the 5.5's as 8.25" when the ones I have are actually 8.125". It's not a huge difference but the madness overwhelms me and I have to know before I buy a set.

I answered on the previous page but the All Terrain 5.75s are 8.5 and the older model Tens 5.75 are 8.375

BMCsteve

« Reply #5819 on: July 18, 2019, 10:40:04 AM »
So I picked up some of the new made in china Indy Titaniums and here are the details -

First off the casting of the hanger is way better than the Ermico versions.  It's now flawless

The bushings are CNC cut but do appear to be different than the aftermarket bushings we've been using.  You can see by the color but this could just be due to them being from a different batch. 

New stock bushings on the right, aftermarket bushings on the left

New stock on top, aftermarket on bottom

The washers also appear to be different.  The stock on the right is slightly larger than the aftermarket on the left

Here's the biggest surprise and it's hard to tell from this shitty pic but the pivot cups are now WAY better.  They're no longer shitty molded plastic.  Now all edges are smooth and they actually have rebound when you pinch them between your fingers.  They're actually so nice that I'm going to hold off on putting my riptide cups in.

So I know everything made in china is supposed to be crap compared to USA made but having had 20 pairs of Ermico Indys, I can definitely say these are much better quality right out of the box