Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232970 times)

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7290 on: December 28, 2019, 10:02:27 AM »
I’m riding Thunder 148’s right now, but my wife got me an 8.5” board for Christmas. Will my 148’s be too small/squirrely for that size board? Or should I be sizing up to 149’s?

You will be fine. Give it a shot and if it really bothers you size up.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7291 on: December 28, 2019, 10:54:42 AM »
I was surprised he didn’t mess w the washers or bushings at all too. Like he kinda just gave up even tho he said he skated really well on em.

That's like salting your food before you even taste it.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #7292 on: December 28, 2019, 12:20:52 PM »
Expand Quote
I was surprised he didn’t mess w the washers or bushings at all too. Like he kinda just gave up even tho he said he skated really well on em.
[close]

after he rode them for a while - and before he gave the review. Like @Ok said prior he fiddled with the GK in the other truck review

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #7293 on: December 28, 2019, 12:43:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Totally agree. Got to give the trucks/bushings/pivot cups some time before witchcraft commences.
 Just thought it was weird that the next review was so positive, after a total truck overhaul.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7294 on: December 28, 2019, 01:32:53 PM »
My venture witch craft was to replace the top washer with the bones washer and slap in some ACE Hi bottoms+ACE Lo Tops. Made them very surfy, no binding. Later I threw in a beatup riptide indy cup, made it even nicer.the stock venture cups are really snug new (like any truck).

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #7295 on: December 28, 2019, 02:24:29 PM »
Watching ebay bids on my 147s like:

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #7296 on: December 28, 2019, 02:31:48 PM »
My venture witch craft was to replace the top washer with the bones washer and slap in some ACE Hi bottoms+ACE Lo Tops. Made them very surfy, no binding. Later I threw in a beatup riptide indy cup, made it even nicer.the stock venture cups are really snug new (like any truck).

I also used the bones washer on top but with stock bushings and I think it was a big improvement.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7297 on: December 28, 2019, 04:09:29 PM »
Anyone have input on Tensor Mag Lights in 5.25? Ridden Thunder 147 / 148 and Indy 139. Need input on what they do to WB and overall pop feel.

Thanks and Shalom.

I'm riding 5.5 Mag Lights. To me, they feel like Thunders but without wheelbite (as they are taller), have a longer baseplate (slides).

They push the wheelbase out around the same as thunders (haven't actually measured/compared to thunders) but I have to ACEs and Ventures on the same deck and they push out more than ACE and less than Ventures (so somewhere in the middle but closer to Ventures.

Pop and turn feel like Thunders (if not just a tad more carve). They are very responsive (I'm using bones softs and bones washers top and bottom).

Tensor gets a bad rap but the ATGs are a serious truck. And the mags grind for days.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7298 on: December 28, 2019, 04:15:30 PM »
ATGs are solid

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #7299 on: December 28, 2019, 04:50:41 PM »

This sounds like a hot set up.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #7300 on: December 28, 2019, 11:23:28 PM »
like aces everyone to be patient with their ventures and keep them stock if you just got them and they're underwhelming. they do get turny if you give those fuckers time to break in. I'm spoiled from just putting Indys on my board and having turny trucks the last 10 years so it took me a minute to adjust to breaking in trucks but they do get good on their own. to expedite the process have a homie that's heavier than you stand on your board and rock the trucks back and forth, helps immensely. I know this is the truck setup thread but they'll never be Indys, even if they kinda feel like stage 10s with better pop. the washers definitely bind but once they groove into the hangar it seems to free them up a bit. they went from being some of the stiffest trucks I've ever tried to nice slow deep turning trucks. kinda love them.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #7301 on: December 28, 2019, 11:46:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone have input on Tensor Mag Lights in 5.25? Ridden Thunder 147 / 148 and Indy 139. Need input on what they do to WB and overall pop feel.

Thanks and Shalom.
[close]

I'm riding 5.5 Mag Lights. To me, they feel like Thunders but without wheelbite (as they are taller), have a longer baseplate (slides).

They push the wheelbase out around the same as thunders (haven't actually measured/compared to thunders) but I have to ACEs and Ventures on the same deck and they push out more than ACE and less than Ventures (so somewhere in the middle but closer to Ventures.

Pop and turn feel like Thunders (if not just a tad more carve). They are very responsive (I'm using bones softs and bones washers top and bottom).

Tensor gets a bad rap but the ATGs are a serious truck. And the mags grind for days.

I have noticed that on some metal they grind way slower than a normal aluminium truck, though its quite rare. Definitely worth it for how good they mash through rough concrete though. Put mine on ice for now because even though they feel really nice and turn better than my Ventures, I just find myself landing my tricks more consistently on the ventures as of lately.

100% agree with your take on how they turn and feel, though I have some reservations about the durability compared to a normal truck (and not just how quick they grind down).

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7302 on: December 29, 2019, 01:38:47 AM »
like aces everyone to be patient with their ventures and keep them stock if you just got them and they're underwhelming. they do get turny if you give those fuckers time to break in. I'm spoiled from just putting Indys on my board and having turny trucks the last 10 years so it took me a minute to adjust to breaking in trucks but they do get good on their own. to expedite the process have a homie that's heavier than you stand on your board and rock the trucks back and forth, helps immensely. I know this is the truck setup thread but they'll never be Indys, even if they kinda feel like stage 10s with better pop. the washers definitely bind but once they groove into the hangar it seems to free them up a bit. they went from being some of the stiffest trucks I've ever tried to nice slow deep turning trucks. kinda love them.

This. Took a very long time to break in. And the turning arc is bigger than an Indy/Ace, but you do get there... with a lot more stability, better pop, and lighter weight. I mean, all personal opinion of course. I'm not Shin Sanbongi carving insanely tight 3ft street quarters, wish I was, but I'm not. Ventures with my low impact, minor tech, kind of skating have helped things a lot. 

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #7303 on: December 29, 2019, 02:45:59 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks and Shalom.
[close]

I think the old sliders just soured people and now they're stuck with this notion that tensor=bad. Also there's a lot of people who parrot shit without ever even trying the trucks ("Ventures don't turn").

The ATGs are the best Tensors in most respects, but I actually think the Tens ones are also better than most people think. That lower height is nice and I like the way they pop, it has a nice quick snap and gets you off the ground without much effort. I recently put a pair of the 8.125" axle (5.5?) on one of the new Scumco PS decks that's smaller than I typically ride and super short (8.125 x 31.13) and it's a blast. Super light, crazy pop, and really nimble but surprisingly stable.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7304 on: December 29, 2019, 03:40:13 AM »
anyone skate a shorter tail setup with ventures? looking to set up a deck with a 6.25 tail (2-2.5 fingers of flat), some polished 6.1s, and 52mm f4. what should i expect? crazy pop or wonky setup? have thunders if it is too much to deal with
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 03:48:36 AM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7305 on: December 29, 2019, 07:28:58 AM »
anyone skate a shorter tail setup with ventures? looking to set up a deck with a 6.25 tail (2-2.5 fingers of flat), some polished 6.1s, and 52mm f4. what should i expect? crazy pop or wonky setup? have thunders if it is too much to deal with

I rode a 7.75 x 31.2 x 14.2 Jart with Venture Lows (5.0) and I hated the setup. The short length coupled with the extended WB made the nose and tail feel too short and I was getting really bad ghost pop.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7306 on: December 29, 2019, 09:05:10 AM »

Foy setting up some 161s I wonder if he rode it and what board that is or just some marketing shots for IG giveaway. Looking 
like wheelbite w the spitfire 55mm
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 10:07:42 AM by jay_nev »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7307 on: December 29, 2019, 09:34:31 AM »
Damn, those 161s look sexy.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7308 on: December 29, 2019, 09:45:53 AM »
did the hollow light pair of those release yet?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7309 on: December 29, 2019, 03:19:38 PM »
Any opinions on Bullet trucks?

I always thought they were super shit due to the price and how badly they turned when I’ve tried them.  I bought my brother a skateboard when he was 10 and since he was hardly interested in it yet I decided to buy the cheapest trucks that weren’t complete shit.  I found them to be good for beginners since they’re fairly low, light and very stable but the turning was so trash that I was a little upset I didn’t spend more money for some Thunders or Venture Lows.

Anyways so my brother’s board is trashed so I decided to revamp it. Clean the bearings, but him a new deck/grip, new hardware, etc.  I was considering new trucks but I had some spare Bones Bushings (Hard Top, Medium Bottom) so I have that a try first...

Guess what?  These things feel amazing, especially for the price.  They also offer a unique shape since they are low like Thunders, weigh the same as Thunders, with Bones bushings they turn very similarly to my Thunders with Bones bushings, and they have a smaller wheelbase like Indies and Aces have.

So basically if you’re looking for trucks similar to Thunders but your deck shape requires something with a smaller wheelbase you should consider these.  They’re unbearable with stock bushings but with Bones Hardcore Bushings they are actually really solid.  I personally wouldn’t ride them as my preferred shapes work best with Thunders or Aces depending on the board but these Bullets aren’t bad.

I’m very surprised.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #7310 on: December 29, 2019, 05:05:07 PM »
I used to have a pair like 9” wide, if I remember correctly. They were nice. Eventually blew out the base plate and Frankensteined the hell out of them with tensor low plates and 1/4” risers. Some of the best carve I have seen.

PMA

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #7311 on: December 29, 2019, 06:07:20 PM »
It’s funny you guys are mentioning the bullets because I was curious about those and also the cheap Tensor Alloy trucks as well.

https://www.tactics.com/tensor/alloys-skateboard-trucks/raw-55

I’ve heard people mention that the Tensors use lower quality metals which may be more prone to breaking or bending than those used in more expensive trucks, but the Tensors also have a life time guarantee against damage and defect iirc,

All the wheelbase talk and some posts about the Mini logo trucks got me kind of curious about the less popular trucks and how they compare

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7312 on: December 29, 2019, 06:20:21 PM »
It’s funny you guys are mentioning the bullets because I was curious about those and also the cheap Tensor Alloy trucks as well.

I’ve heard people mention that the Tensors use lower quality metals which may be more prone to breaking or bending than those used in more expensive trucks, but the Tensors also have a life time guarantee against damage and defect iirc,

All the wheelbase talk and some posts about the Mini logo trucks got me kind of curious about the less popular trucks and how they compare

Someone should start a new thread on the less popular truck brands and how they compare outside the big 3 (or 4). Stuff that is still in production like Royal, Destructo, Silver, Ruckus, Bullet, Mini Logo, Orion, Grind King and Gullwing.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #7313 on: December 29, 2019, 06:23:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Someone should start a new thread on the less popular truck brands and how they compare outside the big 3 (or 4). Stuff that is still in production like Royal, Destructo, Silver, Ruckus, Bullet, Mini Logo, Orion, Grind King and Gullwing.

Good idea! I accept this mission

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7314 on: December 29, 2019, 06:46:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You absolute mad lad. Now I feel compelled to go out and get a pair of these trucks to add to the review.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #7315 on: December 29, 2019, 06:51:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You absolute mad lad. Now I feel compelled to go out and get a pair of these trucks to add to the review.

Hahaha, I ordered some of those Tensor alloys for my cruiser so I’ll post those when they arrive too. For $20 shipped it’s worth giving them a shot

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7316 on: December 29, 2019, 11:59:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hahaha, I ordered some of those Tensor alloys for my cruiser so I’ll post those when they arrive too. For $20 shipped it’s worth giving them a shot

Wait... $20 shipped for a pair? Is that normal pricing?   I should check myself but I’m busy rewatching I Like It Here Inside My Mind and finishing off the leftover beer from Christmas.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #7317 on: December 30, 2019, 07:58:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Wait... $20 shipped for a pair? Is that normal pricing?   I should check myself but I’m busy rewatching I Like It Here Inside My Mind and finishing off the leftover beer from Christmas.

Yep! Not sure if they are still doing free shipping on Tactics or not but they were $20 shipped on there the other day and on eBay they are like $18/19 shipped for a pair. I’ve been eyeing them up for like six months because they were so cheap and the price hasn’t changed that I remember

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #7318 on: December 30, 2019, 12:01:38 PM »
I think there's enough knowledge in this thread the alternate trucks are: Theeve, Minilogo, Tensor....

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7319 on: December 30, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »
I think there's enough knowledge in this thread the alternate trucks are: Theeve, Minilogo, Tensor....

kreeper is still the sleeper