Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231100 times)

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7320 on: December 30, 2019, 11:58:38 PM »
Hey all,

Update to my original post of the big four wheelbase/truck measurements. Just snagged a set of Venture cast 5.8 so here's a new pic and info to go along with my original post. (used the same deck for measuring, 14.25" deck wheelbase). https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3065039#msg3065039

Venture 5.8 cast. Board WB + 3.25"

Not going to lie, I didn't think it was going to be a full 1/4" smaller than the 5.8 forged. It's noticeably easier to get at the hardware under the hanger on the cast vs the forged.

Once my dipshit brother returns my digital callipers I'm going to do a post showing the measurements of all the top and bottom bushings of each truck, as well as some Bones aftermarkets so everyone can have a easy reference for the questions that keep getting asked here.

satan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #7321 on: December 31, 2019, 12:24:25 AM »
Man, you guys keep teasing me with other truck brands!
Thought about these for a sec as a cheaper alternative to forged 159's. Same height/width, tiny bit heavier, $15 cheaper.
Interested to know how they feel and turn with orange aftermarket Indy barrels.
Degros review bummed me out cuz he said didn't grind as well as Indy. Let us know how they feel to you.

Try checking the bushing heights at multiple points around the diameter. Seems like most new bushings don't have a uniform thickness, they're not "square".
I try to get a similar drag on the calipers cuz you're always gonna squish the bushing a bit to get a good measurement.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 12:27:10 AM by satan »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7322 on: December 31, 2019, 02:25:10 AM »
Hey all,

Update to my original post of the big four wheelbase/truck measurements. Just snagged a set of Venture cast 5.8 so here's a new pic and info to go along with my original post. (used the same deck for measuring, 14.25" deck wheelbase). https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3065039#msg3065039

Not going to lie, I didn't think it was going to be a full 1/4" smaller than the 5.8 forged. It's noticeably easier to get at the hardware under the hanger on the cast vs the forged.

Once my dipshit brother returns my digital callipers I'm going to do a post showing the measurements of all the top and bottom bushings of each truck, as well as some Bones aftermarkets so everyone can have a easy reference for the questions that keep getting asked here.

This is good shit! Props for taking measurements! 👍

We should start a truck data thread to gather all relevant data from all these different trucks. Finding just the actual widths of trucks seems awfully difficult for most brands.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7323 on: December 31, 2019, 02:41:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Hey all,

[close]

We should start a truck data thread to gather all relevant data from all these different trucks. Finding just the actual widths of trucks seems awfully difficult for most brands.

Not a problem. And for sure, I was thinking about starting a new thread with just the data (once I get the bushing heights w/ pics) and hopefully getting it stickied. As you said, finding this info isn't the easiest and there's always new posters here asking.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7324 on: December 31, 2019, 03:17:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey all,

[close]

[close]

Not a problem. And for sure, I was thinking about starting a new thread with just the data (once I get the bushing heights w/ pics) and hopefully getting it stickied. As you said, finding this info isn't the easiest and there's always new posters here asking.
That would be awesome
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7325 on: December 31, 2019, 03:46:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey all,

[close]

[close]

[close]
That would be awesome

Yes! Please do! Making the measurement principles clear enough so everyone can chip in with their measurements from the trucks they have around would be great.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7326 on: December 31, 2019, 03:53:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey all,

[close]

[close]

[close]
That would be awesome
[close]

Yes! Please do! Making the measurement principles clear enough so everyone can chip in with their measurements from the trucks they have around would be great.
As soon I get my ass out of bed I'll check the measurements of Tensor ATG and Krux.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7327 on: December 31, 2019, 07:54:23 AM »
Anyone know if Ace bushings stiffen up in below freezing temps? 

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7328 on: December 31, 2019, 07:55:41 AM »
Any bushing will stiff up with cold no?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #7329 on: December 31, 2019, 07:59:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well yes, but some less than others in my experience.  Bones don't stiffen up too much.  Stock Thunder/Venture turn to rocks when they get cold. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7330 on: December 31, 2019, 08:43:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey all,

[close]

[close]

[close]
That would be awesome
[close]

I'm still not getting where upwards of 2-3" is being added to the WB...are we talking the stretch from deck center and dividing by 2 (3" total push with 1.5" for each truck from center)?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7331 on: December 31, 2019, 08:44:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Well yes, but some less than others in my experience.  Bones don't stiffen up too much.  Stock Thunder/Venture turn to rocks when they get cold.

Quick we need a bushing temperature scale resistance thread STAT!

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #7332 on: December 31, 2019, 09:02:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey all,

[close]

[close]

[close]
That would be awesome
[close]

[close]

I'm still not getting where upwards of 2-3" is being added to the WB...are we talking the stretch from deck center and dividing by 2 (3" total push with 1.5" for each truck from center)?

True wheelbase: axle to axle.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7333 on: December 31, 2019, 01:11:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey all,

[close]

[close]

[close]
That would be awesome
[close]

[close]

So as an example, if your deck wb is 14.25," and you ride Indy's your true axle to axle wheelbase is 17.25." The distance from the inner bolt hole to the center of the closest axle is added to the overall measurement, in this case, 1.5" per side. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 01:55:28 PM by palelight »

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7334 on: December 31, 2019, 05:56:23 PM »
I've been wanting to ask how you guys are measuring wb on a deck.
I've seen lotsa ppl make mistakes trying to measure center-to-center..
Does anyone actually try to eyeball the center of the hole?

And for axle-to-axle wb..
Eyeballing the center of the axle?

Use the side, not the center, it's the same distance.
Same side to same side..

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7335 on: December 31, 2019, 06:06:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey all,

[close]

[close]

Thank you for doing your part to fuel gear madness on Slap. Have a shalom 2020
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7336 on: December 31, 2019, 07:15:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey all,

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'll be sure to tap you back once I reach pal status. 

I hope it's equal measure of fuelling the madness, but also helping any potential truck swapper have the relevant info before they drop their cash. It's goddamn crazy to me that's it hard to get even an accurate truck height from the companies themselves. Let alone affect on wheelbase etc.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #7337 on: December 31, 2019, 07:27:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey all,

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'll be sure to tap you back once I reach pal status. 

I hope it's equal measure of fuelling the madness, but also helping any potential truck swapper have the relevant info before they drop their cash. It's goddamn crazy to me that's it hard to get even an accurate truck height from the companies themselves. Let alone affect on wheelbase etc.

Some basics: height, weight, hanger width, axle tip to tip measurement. Most companies cannot give you these. Which is sooooo lazy.

I love the work you are doing. Thanks

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7338 on: December 31, 2019, 10:58:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey all,

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thank you for that, the pics you put up really helped me decide my next board and truck purchases.

I like hoarding skate gear as much as the next Slap Pal, but I'm a working adult and cant be dropping 40-60 bucks every time couple of weeks to try stuff out. Swapping gear between setups is really time consuming and I got a damn blister on my hand from trying to remove bearing yesterday so I'm feeling pissy.

Then again we could be living in our own bubble where board, truck, WB and gear madness only exists on this tiny online space.  The regular guy at the skatepark doesn't care about what his trucks are going to do to this WB or how many fingers of flat his board has.  The only thing he cares about is width, which is probably why most brands or sites don't bother listing down every dimensions of their board.  I sometimes yearn for the days of blissful ignorance.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7339 on: January 01, 2020, 12:30:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey all,

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thank you for that, the pics you put up really helped me decide my next board and truck purchases.

I like hoarding skate gear as much as the next Slap Pal, but I'm a working adult and cant be dropping 40-60 bucks every time couple of weeks to try stuff out. Swapping gear between setups is really time consuming and I got a damn blister on my hand from trying to remove bearing yesterday so I'm feeling pissy.

Then again we could be living in our own bubble where board, truck, WB and gear madness only exists on this tiny online space.  The regular guy at the skatepark doesn't care about what his trucks are going to do to this WB or how many fingers of flat his board has.  The only thing he cares about is width, which is probably why most brands or sites don't bother listing down every dimensions of their board.  I sometimes yearn for the days of blissful ignorance.

In my experience, this. Every time I get into measurements of stuff I get looked at like a kook.

I wish I didn’t care so much but here I am on the truck thread yet again

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7340 on: January 01, 2020, 01:03:14 AM »

Glad to help. I know when I was kicking around swapping trucks a few years ago I had a hell of a time finding any real info on things, and when I would ask around online or someone at the shop the info was always secondhand or 'common knowledge' stuff that's usually inaccurate.

In my experience, this. Every time I get into measurements of stuff I get looked at like a kook.

I wish I didn’t care so much but here I am on the truck thread yet again

Well, my goal if you want to call it that, is to just throw the info up there and let anyone who needs it help their decisions/madness. In my probably naive way I hope it takes guess work out of the equation, or takes any mystery out of the equation.

As for the kookery, obviously to some people it's whack, and I get it. I don't let it get under my skin, so long as you're not out preaching Lenny Kirk style to people about wheelbases. I've always liked knowing how stuff works, knowing how to fix and mod things, whether it's my bike or an instrument or whatever. It doesn't make me do any of those things better, just a different kind of satisfaction.

For what it's worth, I don't have much madness myself. Rode Indy's forever, had a brief fling with Aces (no real adjustment necessary) and have recently started flirting with Ventures. If the Ventures are still on my setup in the spring, I'll sell the Indy's to kill the temptation to switch back. Have to go cold turkey with that shit.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7341 on: January 01, 2020, 08:13:05 PM »
Dumb question that has been asked to death i'm sure, what are the advantages of Bones Mediums? I don't mind stock Indy bushings but looking for a slightly quicker response, is this what I'll get with these?

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #7342 on: January 01, 2020, 09:39:45 PM »
For me it is more the opposite. The bushings are the same height but designed to be used without bottom washer, so the trucks become lower and turn a little slower imo. Also not having the cupped top washer takes away some of the rebound strength and feels slower too. Smooth and stable on center but not as responsive and snappy imo

PMA

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #7343 on: January 02, 2020, 03:24:17 AM »
Skated Thunders yesterday for the first time in probably 30 years... hated them at the beginning of the day. Tightened them almost a full turn from factory because they seemed way sloppy, hated the way that felt so I loosened 'em up a half turn or so. Felt better. Still getting used to them, but by the end of the day I felt more comfortable on them.

I wanted a change from Indy/Ace, and it's a fun change, but unless I start learning tricks I've never landed in my life, I'll probably stick with Ace/Indy. They just feel more "fun" to me if that makes sense. Thunders feel like a business truck, a good tool for getting tricks, which is not something I usually spend my time doing.

baustin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #7344 on: January 02, 2020, 08:46:37 AM »
I think I'm over hotdogging my setups. My flip tricks have been weirdly slow for a while but I didn't want to blame it on wider trucks until I tried several board and shoe combos. Went back to 147s after a while on 148s and flip tricks are coming back almost immediately. I think I just enjoy the quick pop/lower height of 147s for my type of skating. Wider trucks only feel better until I start trying tricks so it's back to trucks narrower than the deck for me.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #7345 on: January 02, 2020, 09:13:34 AM »
Just sold both sets of ventures and both sets of thunders, so I could just use Indys,  and I had a severe ankle sprain (not skating. I stupidly thought I should climb a tree to get my son's friends ball loose from a branch, fell and landed with my left foot sideways). Pain familiar instantly, as this has been my weak ankle (push foot) for years due to a 100% similar injury that did happen skating in 2001 (landed with left foot sideways on a lil 4 stair kickflip, couldn't skate for 3-4 months). Now that I know I am out of commission for months, I added a new thought to my madness. At 43 years old, when I can skate again, are Indys going to feel good. My madness has been based on these 3 factors:
1) the ride/carve of Indys (plus nostalgia) vs
2) stability/consistency of ventures vs
3) quick response/flip ability of thunders

I'm worried if my bitchmade soft ankle would just give out on the Indys or thunders, once healed, as they have the deeper turn. I'm going to rehab the f out of it once it un-swells/ bruises but already over thinking the confidence in that shitty ankle. Pondering skating Ventures just for that stability, when I can skate again. (This is some paranoia at this point. Only been 4 days)

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #7346 on: January 02, 2020, 09:24:38 AM »
Skated Thunders yesterday for the first time in probably 30 years... hated them at the beginning of the day. Tightened them almost a full turn from factory because they seemed way sloppy, hated the way that felt so I loosened 'em up a half turn or so. Felt better. Still getting used to them, but by the end of the day I felt more comfortable on them.

I wanted a change from Indy/Ace, and it's a fun change, but unless I start learning tricks I've never landed in my life, I'll probably stick with Ace/Indy. They just feel more "fun" to me if that makes sense. Thunders feel like a business truck, a good tool for getting tricks, which is not something I usually spend my time doing.
This is kinda where I’m at, got Ventures to get more tech. And now I’m kinda like fuck I’d rather just have fun and skate. Luckily they broke in enough to where I don’t feel obligated to try new shit but still every time I bolt trucks on that aren’t Indys they’re just not the same.

UPPERCASEnocap

• Rep: 3
« Reply #7347 on: January 02, 2020, 09:31:18 AM »
For everyone who's jumped to ventures and missing a nice turn, remove the top washer and replace with the flat washer that comes with bones bushings. Completely changes them and lets them turn much deeper. Skated them yesterday and they were pretty dreamy.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #7348 on: January 02, 2020, 09:42:49 AM »
For everyone who's jumped to ventures and missing a nice turn, remove the top washer and replace with the flat washer that comes with bones bushings. Completely changes them and lets them turn much deeper. Skated them yesterday and they were pretty dreamy.

I did this a while back (also have riptide pivot cups which I would recommend). It definitely makes a difference and frees up the turn a little bit but in the end they still feel like Ventures and its not going to completely change the geometry.

This is precisely how I feel about Ventures

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #7349 on: January 02, 2020, 10:01:47 AM »

I don’t have ventures but just curious. By swapping washers for a deep turn do you lose the stability that people want with ventures?