Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231313 times)

UPPERCASEnocap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7350 on: January 02, 2020, 10:16:57 AM »
Expand Quote
For everyone who's jumped to ventures and missing a nice turn, remove the top washer and replace with the flat washer that comes with bones bushings. Completely changes them and lets them turn much deeper. Skated them yesterday and they were pretty dreamy.
[close]

I don’t have ventures but just curious. By swapping washers for a deep turn do you lose the stability that people want with ventures?

It does "turn" easier so i've found I do have to be a little more precise with foot placement and leverage. However with the ventures geometry and extended wheelbase they still feel stable. I have them as loose feeling as my thunders or forged indys and don't get near the wheelbite.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #7351 on: January 02, 2020, 11:59:54 AM »
Do you guys ever notice slightly bent axles, or let it bother you? I've thought my axles seemed a tiny bit bent for a while now but never bothered to get a ruler or anything as I didn't really feel it when riding.

Set up some new wheels and after skating it briefly, I noticed that the inside side of the wheel has picked up significantly more dirt/dust, whereas the outside side of the contact patch is almost clean, confirming my suspicion that my axles are slightly bent. Reluctant to break in and grind down new trucks, only had these a few months. Anyone know of any fixes or should I just ignore it until it starts hindering my skating.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7352 on: January 02, 2020, 12:31:03 PM »
No but I regularly let perfectly good trucks drive me absolutely bananas.....shit I get anxious about trucks I don't even own....

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #7353 on: January 02, 2020, 12:33:50 PM »
Do you guys ever notice slightly bent axles, or let it bother you? I've thought my axles seemed a tiny bit bent for a while now but never bothered to get a ruler or anything as I didn't really feel it when riding.

Set up some new wheels and after skating it briefly, I noticed that the inside side of the wheel has picked up significantly more dirt/dust, whereas the outside side of the contact patch is almost clean, confirming my suspicion that my axles are slightly bent. Reluctant to break in and grind down new trucks, only had these a few months. Anyone know of any fixes or should I just ignore it until it starts hindering my skating.

I’d just skate it. Once you skate a board it starts to get dinged, uneven, flattens.....wheels wear down unevenly, try to banish it from your mind. Imo. Easier said than done.

J soy-

Me too. Me too.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7354 on: January 02, 2020, 12:36:59 PM »

i have a pair with slightly bent axles on the front truck. they are pretty new so im not really sure its worth complaining to dlx about it. plus i only realized it when i was taking the paint off them, not while skating
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #7355 on: January 02, 2020, 01:04:24 PM »
Thanks guys sounds like I need to stop being a poosy. Plus these are titanium axles so if I'm able to bend these then I'd probably bend most other trucks after a while too.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7356 on: January 02, 2020, 01:21:58 PM »
Just sold both sets of ventures and both sets of thunders, so I could just use Indys,  and I had a severe ankle sprain (not skating. I stupidly thought I should climb a tree to get my son's friends ball loose from a branch, fell and landed with my left foot sideways). Pain familiar instantly, as this has been my weak ankle (push foot) for years due to a 100% similar injury that did happen skating in 2001 (landed with left foot sideways on a lil 4 stair kickflip, couldn't skate for 3-4 months). Now that I know I am out of commission for months, I added a new thought to my madness. At 43 years old, when I can skate again, are Indys going to feel good. My madness has been based on these 3 factors:
1) the ride/carve of Indys (plus nostalgia) vs
2) stability/consistency of ventures vs
3) quick response/flip ability of thunders

I'm worried if my bitchmade soft ankle would just give out on the Indys or thunders, once healed, as they have the deeper turn. I'm going to rehab the f out of it once it un-swells/ bruises but already over thinking the confidence in that shitty ankle. Pondering skating Ventures just for that stability, when I can skate again. (This is some paranoia at this point. Only been 4 days)

I snapped my leg a few years back and it took me quite a while to get back on board let alone do anything other with it except roll around. I used to ride Indys with Bones hards and when I was injured I bought a lot of shit. Tested all sorts of shit for a long time when getting back to it. I ended up liking stock Aces best. Loose as fuck. Just something about them turning so easy made it all easier for me coming back. Now I know your situation is a lot different and probably won't be nearly as off as I was but what I'm trying to say is to not stress it too much and just feel it out when you're coming back skating. You'll figure it out.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #7357 on: January 02, 2020, 01:58:07 PM »
I think I've finally dialed my madness down to where I like 149s/5.8s, and can do any of the big name trucks (indy, thunder, venture) as long as they're 8.5 axle. if the aces come through with that 8.5 we may meet again. always gonna have a preference for indy though, favorite trucks.

I've tried the no top washer/bones flat top washer and wasn't a huge fan. honestly like my ventures more with it on after I let it break in a bit. just took some cruising and slappys.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7358 on: January 02, 2020, 02:43:05 PM »
Just sold both sets of ventures and both sets of thunders, so I could just use Indys,  and I had a severe ankle sprain (not skating. I stupidly thought I should climb a tree to get my son's friends ball loose from a branch, fell and landed with my left foot sideways). Pain familiar instantly, as this has been my weak ankle (push foot) for years due to a 100% similar injury that did happen skating in 2001 (landed with left foot sideways on a lil 4 stair kickflip, couldn't skate for 3-4 months). Now that I know I am out of commission for months, I added a new thought to my madness. At 43 years old, when I can skate again, are Indys going to feel good. My madness has been based on these 3 factors:

I'm worried if my bitchmade soft ankle would just give out on the Indys or thunders, once healed, as they have the deeper turn. I'm going to rehab the f out of it once it un-swells/ bruises but already over thinking the confidence in that shitty ankle. Pondering skating Ventures just for that stability, when I can skate again. (This is some paranoia at this point. Only been 4 days)

I severely rolled my push foot ankle when I was 45 (landed wrong off a big 5'+ ollie off a pyramid (no idea what I was thinking other than, shit, I just made one that was over 4' let's goooooo) they told me it was basically rolled to the point of almost breaking. It didn't but I basically pulled everything keeping my ankle together. I was out for a full 9 months of any type of skating requiring me to take my foot off for anything but pushing.

Flash forward to when I could skate again (last spring @46)...since it was my rear foot, flips were out, one little bad angle landing or missed heelflip and the incorrect landings would hurt more than anything, hell even pumping transition would make it hurt like hell. Now at 47 (ugh) my ollies are back, flip tricks are back (bad heelflip lands will still fuck with me, it's just the way my foot lands) but in a way I am committing more so I don't bail them and trying to bail differently.

The take away, do the fucking rehab work. I slacked on it and paid the price. Still paying, it's not 100%, never will be but I'm doing exercises to strengthen it anyway.

Forget worrying about flip tricks. Seriously. Wait until any stiffness or soreness goes away...then wait some more.

I'd suggest just getting a pair of trusty predictable Indys (or even ACE if you want quicker response and better stability) keep them medium loose and take it slow. I went straight back to loose thunders and didn't think twice.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7359 on: January 02, 2020, 05:08:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I severely rolled my push foot ankle when I was 45 (landed wrong off a big 5'+ ollie off a pyramid (no idea what I was thinking other than, shit, I just made one that was over 4' let's goooooo) they told me it was basically rolled to the point of almost breaking. It didn't but I basically pulled everything keeping my ankle together. I was out for a full 9 months of any type of skating requiring me to take my foot off for anything but pushing.

Flash forward to when I could skate again (last spring @46)...since it was my rear foot, flips were out, one little bad angle landing or missed heelflip and the incorrect landings would hurt more than anything, hell even pumping transition would make it hurt like hell. Now at 47 (ugh) my ollies are back, flip tricks are back (bad heelflip lands will still fuck with me, it's just the way my foot lands) but in a way I am committing more so I don't bail them and trying to bail differently.

The take away, do the fucking rehab work. I slacked on it and paid the price. Still paying, it's not 100%, never will be but I'm doing exercises to strengthen it anyway.

Forget worrying about flip tricks. Seriously. Wait until any stiffness or soreness goes away...then wait some more.

I'd suggest just getting a pair of trusty predictable Indys (or even ACE if you want quicker response and better stability) keep them medium loose and take it slow. I went straight back to loose thunders and didn't think twice.
Hey. Certified old fart here too..
Carving around on Indy or Ace sounds like great ankle therapy to me.
Maybe keep the impact to a minimum at first. No drops, real ollies, fully bashed in fs slappies.. powerslidey reverts? What hurts your ankle? Don't do that..
Oddly my ankle is the only decent joint in my leg (knock on wood) so I can't help too much.
Have you tried the exercises on Jenkem? Calf lifts?

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/08/30/jocks-guide-skateboarding-gym-exercises/
If you google stuff like elastic/resistance band ankle exercises you can find more

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7360 on: January 02, 2020, 06:03:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Best advice I wish I took in my youth. Recovery takes longer and we get weaker with each injury. Rehab / physio work stops the decline.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 846
« Reply #7361 on: January 02, 2020, 06:14:12 PM »
Goddamnit why do I even open this thread. Now I'm going to spend the next 15 minutes hunting through my box of shit looking for flat bones washers to put on my ventures. And I'm probably going to hate it and take it off, then in 3 weeks I'll forget that I hated it and want to try it again and the cycle starts anew.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #7362 on: January 03, 2020, 06:19:25 AM »
Turns out my foot is broke instead. Sort of happy about that. I still got one of those rubber straps to stretch my feet and ankles on. They actually work really well. I've had to do this before,  so I'm prepared this time. Funny too is I keep thinking about sizing down boards (nostalgic 90s) but I am starting to believe more landing area is good as I near age 44. Just a bummer that the decline happens (obviously). I still max out at about 8.18 wide, with 8.0 trucks. Can't wait to resume madness when I can skate again. In the meantime, I can fantasize about what trucks I may need in a few months

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #7363 on: January 03, 2020, 07:30:45 AM »
Goddamnit why do I even open this thread. Now I'm going to spend the next 15 minutes hunting through my box of shit looking for flat bones washers to put on my ventures. And I'm probably going to hate it and take it off, then in 3 weeks I'll forget that I hated it and want to try it again and the cycle starts anew.

The flat washer on ventures is genuinely amazing. That's what I use on mine but otherwise stock.

7th Chamber

« Reply #7364 on: January 03, 2020, 07:49:10 AM »
Turns out my foot is broke instead. Sort of happy about that. I still got one of those rubber straps to stretch my feet and ankles on. They actually work really well. I've had to do this before,  so I'm prepared this time. Funny too is I keep thinking about sizing down boards (nostalgic 90s) but I am starting to believe more landing area is good as I near age 44. Just a bummer that the decline happens (obviously). I still max out at about 8.18 wide, with 8.0 trucks. Can't wait to resume madness when I can skate again. In the meantime, I can fantasize about what trucks I may need in a few months
Sorry about your foot. My thoughts on the “more landing area” thing is it’s also harder to kick away. It’s probably also my huge lack of commitment, but I’ve gotten wrecked landing on boards all wonky.

UPPERCASEnocap

« Reply #7365 on: January 03, 2020, 10:49:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The flat washer on ventures is genuinely amazing. That's what I use on mine but otherwise stock.

It really is like a different truck with that bones top washer. Really enjoying them.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7366 on: January 03, 2020, 12:02:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It really is like a different truck with that bones top washer. Really enjoying them.

Another +1 for a flat washer on Ventures (and Tensors for that matter). Don't these companies skate their own shit?

UrbanSombrero

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #7367 on: January 03, 2020, 02:44:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Another +1 for a flat washer on Ventures (and Tensors for that matter). Don't these companies skate their own shit?

I just set up some Venture 5.0s on my 7.5 Girl reissue and these things don't turn. The bushings were trashed so I replaced with some stock orange Indy bushings and it helped a bit but they still don't feel right. Should I get some bones bushings or something else? If so how would you guys recommend I run them? Stock washers? No washers? Just the top one?

satan

« Reply #7368 on: January 03, 2020, 02:51:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I just set up some Venture 5.0s on my 7.5 Girl reissue and these things don't turn. The bushings were trashed so I replaced with some stock orange Indy bushings and it helped a bit but they still don't feel right. Should I get some bones bushings or something else? If so how would you guys recommend I run them? Stock washers? No washers? Just the top one?
For proper 90's steez you need to crank em down and tictac around
But I'd try Indy aftermarket bushings, orange cylinder ones. Using both washers.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #7369 on: January 03, 2020, 03:18:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
But I'd try Indy aftermarket bushings, orange cylinder ones. Using both washers.

I have 5.0 lo’s. Bones, medium or hards, use the top washer. Turns real quick.
I like venture bushings, but they take a long minute to get broken in. The biggest limiter in turning radius, for me, is wheel size. 50’s and below are the easiest. The top washer in ventures can bind on the hanger, it does stop wheelbite, pick your poison.
I have the jovontae, I want that new one. Looks fun.

satan

« Reply #7370 on: January 03, 2020, 03:34:08 PM »
Anyone seen Active's pivot cups? They were $0.25 on their site but the page is gone. I got some free when I walked in.
They're a lil bit softer than cracked ice, not as soft as krux, pretty nice quality. They're black, some parts are shiny, some dull. Look like they're cut/machined to shape from a rod, even have a small chamber for the pivot. I guessing urethane cuz machined but not sure
They're pointed at the bottom, not machined flat like some stuff I've seen online. Look similar to khiro's but I've never seen those irl.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7371 on: January 03, 2020, 04:01:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I went withe ACE regular Bottom and ACE low top bushings with a flat [bones] washer in top. It helped loads...that said, as loose as I ride, 53mm will wheelbite in a hot second if you aren't careful...the fucked up thing, they seemingly wheelbite right in the middle of a short carve..like, brrrrrnt, nope, no more turn for you. I find that they are very surfy this way provided you don't need a long/arc'd carve, say if you are just skating street, ride loose and need to swerve, that's about it. They swerve nice :P

UPPERCASEnocap

« Reply #7372 on: January 03, 2020, 04:51:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm a 140lbs soaking wet and they turn well for me. I broke the stock bushings in and just run the top flat bones washer. More stable feeling than Indys and I get a nice deep carve. Before, I could NOT wheelbite just standing and leaning on the board. I now can lean deep enough to get wheel bite if I try yet riding I can see that I don't get near the wheelbite on my board as I do from my indys, aces, or thunders. Nut is screwed on flush. Works for me!

edit: I'm running the 5.6s so those 5.0s may be a completely different beast.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:53:15 PM by UPPERCASEnocap »

UrbanSombrero

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #7373 on: January 03, 2020, 04:52:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I have 5.0 lo’s. Bones, medium or hards, use the top washer. Turns real quick.
I like venture bushings, but they take a long minute to get broken in. The biggest limiter in turning radius, for me, is wheel size. 50’s and below are the easiest. The top washer in ventures can bind on the hanger, it does stop wheelbite, pick your poison.
I have the jovontae, I want that new one. Looks fun.

Awesome thanks I'll give this a try. Do you remove the stock bottom washer too? It's super fun I'd recommend it. I haven't smiled this much while skating flat in a long time.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7374 on: January 03, 2020, 05:44:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I went withe ACE regular Bottom and ACE low top bushings with a flat [bones] washer in top. It helped loads...that said, as loose as I ride, 53mm will wheelbite in a hot second if you aren't careful...the fucked up thing, they seemingly wheelbite right in the middle of a short carve..like, brrrrrnt, nope, no more turn for you. I find that they are very surfy this way provided you don't need a long/arc'd carve, say if you are just skating street, ride loose and need to swerve, that's about it. They swerve nice :P

I should add that I'm 183/185 lbs.

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #7375 on: January 03, 2020, 11:33:54 PM »
Went through my trucks and made this while I was swapping over to a new board,

Just mixed the mag ATG baseplates with the aluminum hangers. Being the truck savant I am, I rembered that thread about sloppy baseplate holes, and I noticed the baseplate holes on the mags were basically perfect, while the aluminum ones were slightly more warped:

I went and grabbed my aces to compare:

For having shitty hardware that gets loose every session (which I finally replaced) none of them were that bad, I never noticed it during a session. The worst I've had was forged indys which actually got to the point where they rattled which was distracting and threw off my mojo lol. My guess is the magnesium is less malleable and aluminum, but this also means when you do apply excessive force, you'll crack instead of bend. The little nubs on the tensor baseplates seem to be doing a good job of offsetting the warping and rattling since all I do is slide variations which I find contribute to the issue. I imagine why aces warp less than indys (or thunders in my experience for that matter) is because the baseplate is SOLID and not trimmed down at all. More weight, but more solid in that regard. Ight imma head out
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:59:33 PM by whatsreallygood »

Diocletian

« Reply #7376 on: January 04, 2020, 07:21:00 AM »
Get new hardware every time you change boards and tighten it better. Warping out forged plate holes? Unheard of to me until now.

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #7377 on: January 04, 2020, 08:31:55 AM »
Get new hardware every time you change boards and tighten it better. Warping out forged plate holes? Unheard of to me until now.

Honestly I just don't wanna buy new hardware every setup, seems wasteful. I don't have an issue with it anymore anyways. In my case the issue with indys happened before the hardware even loosened so I think it's just a symptom of doing a lot of slides. All my homies have had the same issue, so while the evidence is anecdotal, it seems really common among the people I skate with who all ride different setups, forged or not.

7th Chamber

« Reply #7378 on: January 04, 2020, 08:48:55 AM »
That’s because you’re a giant poser and only act like you skate, Jonah. Go buy some more trucks.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7379 on: January 04, 2020, 11:10:45 AM »
I check my bolts before sessions. I've had wheels pop off, hangers fall off for being too loose and wiggly trucks a few times. To think that your bolts wouldn't come loose if you huck your bard around is low on logic; also, locktite is a thing.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 01:17:00 PM by Xen »