Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232232 times)

drinny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7380 on: January 04, 2020, 11:33:23 AM »
Superglue... never had this problem ever

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #7381 on: January 04, 2020, 11:58:24 AM »
I once got my hardware so fuckin jammed that I broke a corner of my baseplate trying to get that last bolt of, after that I got so paranoid about bolts that I run only two boards with same hardware and after that new set it is. I am old and suck tho so I only go thru like 3sets of bolts in year.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #7382 on: January 04, 2020, 12:20:22 PM »
Coping saw for stuck bolts... happened to me once :)

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #7383 on: January 04, 2020, 12:38:57 PM »
Coping saw for stuck bolts... happened to me once :)
Yeah there’s plenty of power tools in my garage as well but I should’ve stated that this happened in the middle of sessions at the spot, broke my board and got spare one from homies trunk. I only had a regular allen tool plus a wrench to work with😬
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #7384 on: January 04, 2020, 01:35:48 PM »
Got some 149s again.

I really really really wanted ventures but never look a gift goat in the mouth.

Im down to trade if anyone wants to meet at eggs or orchard this week.

Im looking for ventures for 8.25 up. In decent condition these 149s are pretty much brand new. Or Salem im always in Salem at the barriers or the long manny pad at the old mall. The wallie at the museum. Oh how i love that thing.
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7385 on: January 05, 2020, 06:10:13 PM »
How are Ace 44 on long WB Real boards? Thinking of trying them on a 8.18 x 31.85 x 14.38 setup.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7386 on: January 05, 2020, 06:14:07 PM »
How are Ace 44 on long WB Real boards? Thinking of trying them on a 8.18 x 31.85 x 14.38 setup.
They add 2.75"
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7387 on: January 05, 2020, 06:20:38 PM »

They're great.

Anytime I ride a 14.3x wheel base I throw on ACE or Theeve (theeve being a bit tighter than ACE when pulling in the WB).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #7388 on: January 05, 2020, 06:23:26 PM »
I think overall lines up ok in that you have a bit of wheelbase to use up in an overall compact set up.  Generator/BBS boards tend to have mellower kicks, medium fingers of flat so should work ok on ACEs.  The only knock I'd say is they are kinda heavy and so on an 8.18 if you want something super nimble, it'll beef the board up a bit...if you had a PS board I'd say...nah, get thunders or ventures...

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #7389 on: January 06, 2020, 06:09:49 AM »
After a few sessions on Ace I put my ventures back on yesterday. With the Ace my setup felt slow and the pop sounded dull almost like a water logged board. Popped the Venture back on and suddenly it was much snappier and crisper.

Might have a barely used set of 44's to put up soon.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #7390 on: January 06, 2020, 06:47:51 AM »
How do 8.75" trucks feel on a 8.5" board? My homie gave me a pair he had leftover and I was already thinking about getting a bigger board since I've ridden an 8.25" for the past 5 years or so.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7391 on: January 06, 2020, 08:15:46 AM »
After a few sessions on Ace I put my ventures back on yesterday. With the Ace my setup felt slow and the pop sounded dull almost like a water logged board. Popped the Venture back on and suddenly it was much snappier and crisper.

i had the same experience with 55s. i think the combo that works is aces+short tail/less fingers of flat. couldnt get any pop with a long tail
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #7392 on: January 06, 2020, 10:10:52 AM »
Just sharing some truck nerdery.

I think if I ran a shop, I'd spend all day measuring and weight shit.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #7393 on: January 06, 2020, 11:09:08 AM »

I think if I spent all day measuring and weighing shit I would have the foresight to remove the hang tag from the truck before I weighed it.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #7394 on: January 06, 2020, 02:33:39 PM »
Someone needs to make some kind of updated list with all the truck sizes/types/weights

I know there was some skate warehouse youtube video that was decent and some old spreadsheet from years ago but we need a more thorough, up to date vid or spreadsheet 

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7395 on: January 06, 2020, 04:21:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think if I spent all day measuring and weighing shit I would have the foresight to remove the hang tag from the truck before I weighed it.
Cuz heavy?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #7396 on: January 06, 2020, 04:56:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Cuz heavy?

Cuz accuracy.   

I don't skate with the tag on and none of the trucks besides Indy have one. It may only be 4 grams, but shit needs to be accurate.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #7397 on: January 06, 2020, 05:03:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Cuz heavy?
[close]

Cuz accuracy.   

I don't skate with the tag on and none of the trucks besides Indy have one. It may only be 4 grams, but shit needs to be accurate.

I think you're vastly overestimating the weight of that paper tag.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7398 on: January 06, 2020, 05:13:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Cuz heavy?
[close]

Cuz accuracy.   

Couldn't agree more.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

satan

« Reply #7399 on: January 06, 2020, 05:17:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Cuz heavy?
[close]

Cuz accuracy.   

[close]
Couldn't agree more.
And the accuracy of a scale that doesn't read 0.1g

Diocletian

« Reply #7400 on: January 06, 2020, 06:03:20 PM »

One of my other grievances with Ace throughout the years. I had a few sets in the mix that no matter what I tried they made my board sound like it spent a day at a waterpark. Never had that with any other truck.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #7401 on: January 06, 2020, 06:45:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

One of my other grievances with Ace throughout the years. I had a few sets in the mix that no matter what I tried they made my board sound like it spent a day at a waterpark. Never had that with any other truck.

Thank god others have this experience, I thought I was crazy when I noticed this.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7402 on: January 06, 2020, 06:55:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thank god others have this experience, I thought I was crazy when I noticed this.

felt the same. made me think my board was dead until i put thunders back on it. no matter how hard id pop, the board just wouldnt come with me. aces just arent compatible with me and i dont need to find out again by buying the next stage. knew i wanted to get rid of these 55s after the first session
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #7403 on: January 06, 2020, 07:53:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

felt the same. made me think my board was dead until i put thunders back on it. no matter how hard id pop, the board just wouldnt come with me. aces just arent compatible with me and i dont need to find out again by buying the next stage. knew i wanted to get rid of these 55s after the first session

Ace and Indy are like this for me as well.  I'll never understand why i can't pop with them.  It has something to do with my timing and muscle memory from skating ventures and deadbolt trucks in the 90s

satan

« Reply #7404 on: January 06, 2020, 07:59:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ace and Indy are like this for me as well.  I'll never understand why i can't pop with them.  It has something to do with my timing and muscle memory from skating ventures and deadbolt trucks in the 90s
I'm guessing tail length and that you guys don't like long tails.
Tried Ace/Indy/Theeve on a deck with a short tail? Or tried risers?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #7405 on: January 06, 2020, 08:04:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

So good point.  they work better for me with longer tails (6.75 min) but that's generally what I like to skate with anything

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7406 on: January 06, 2020, 08:33:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

So good point.  they work better for me with longer tails (6.75 min) but that's generally what I like to skate with anything

tried them on a 7 inch tail and it was no bueno. also with risers. i just think shorter wb trucks kill my max pop cause i dont have the same problem with thunders or ventures

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #7407 on: January 06, 2020, 09:08:42 PM »
I definitely prefer the thunder pop feel. Grindking and ventures have it a bit. Ace and indy i tend to whiff fakie flips and tre.

Also ben is right I checked my footage and crooks wang way the fuck out on ace. The wheel goes way under the deck when pinche

Also why does my phone know im looking at ventures on ccs. I was reading Newsweek and there was an ad for awake
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #7408 on: January 06, 2020, 10:03:58 PM »
whoah....whoah....we're talking acoustics and geometry here....thunder is quick pop due to how quickly the tail hits the ground....with ACE.....I'm assuming maybe it's materials?  That's why it sounds dead....not as hollow maybe?  I know I ride my whole set up....rattle free....it feels dead...

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7409 on: January 07, 2020, 12:17:24 AM »
whoah....whoah....we're talking acoustics and geometry here....thunder is quick pop due to how quickly the tail hits the ground....with ACE.....I'm assuming maybe it's materials?  That's why it sounds dead....not as hollow maybe?  I know I ride my whole set up....rattle free....it feels dead...

It just feels like the leverage isn't there. I know the upside to Ace is the shortened wheelbase but after giving them a good go for nearly a year, finally decided I prefer the Indy pop. Even more so with the forged plate and a riser.