Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1233081 times)

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7770 on: February 05, 2020, 12:19:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Between this and the bushing guy, the thread needs to be deleted for posterity’s sake.

[close]
[close]

Two top bushings?
Looks like that for sure.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #7771 on: February 05, 2020, 12:37:22 PM »
Ace says "loose trucks save lives".  But wheel bite kills! I'm 180lbs and fuck!! I've never spent so much money on bushings in my life trying to get my Aces from getting wheel bite. And I'm skating 50mm wheels. Currently running Indy super hard yellows. Which I think all of indys bushings are the same hardness. I swear the red 88s are harder than the yellow 99s.   If i only skated curbs and transition I guess they would be just fine.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #7772 on: February 05, 2020, 12:44:23 PM »
Ace says "loose trucks save lives".  But wheel bite kills! I'm 180lbs and fuck!! I've never spent so much money on bushings in my life trying to get my Aces from getting wheel bite. And I'm skating 50mm wheels. Currently running Indy super hard yellows. Which I think all of indys bushings are the same hardness. I swear the red 88s are harder than the yellow 99s.   If i only skated curbs and transition I guess they would be just fine.

Strange, at the same loose/tightness I feel like Aces don't have nearly as bad wheelbite as Thunders or Indys. I weigh more than you and back when I skated Aces I felt like they were some of the best when it came to wheelbite. Maybe just run them a bit tighter? Stock should be fine.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #7773 on: February 05, 2020, 12:48:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Strange, at the same loose/tightness I feel like Aces don't have nearly as bad wheelbite as Thunders or Indys. I weigh more than you and back when I skated Aces I felt like they were some of the best when it came to wheelbite. Maybe just run them a bit tighter? Stock should be fine.

I can go tighter for sure with these Indy bushings. I blew the stocks out the first day because I had to tighten them so much. They just turned to mush.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #7774 on: February 05, 2020, 12:49:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I can go tighter for sure with these Indy bushings. I blew the stocks out the first day because I had to tighten them so much. They just turned to mush.

Damn wtf thats weird, if anything I feel like Ace stocks are tighter when new and loosen up eventually.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #7775 on: February 05, 2020, 12:54:22 PM »
with aces I never get wheelbite from just cruising but definitely get it on landings sometimes. indy stage 11 I never really got wheelbite. stage 10 was another story though.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #7776 on: February 05, 2020, 05:15:27 PM »
Expand Quote

Posted this in the venture thread but thought I'd post it in here as well. First set of trucks I've skated that weren't Indys in over ten years. Haven't had a chance to fully test them out yet but I'm digging it so far; like the difference in wheelbase so far, will report back soon with how I feel about them as I skate em more.

Also right off the bat I switched em out for some hard DohDohs I had lying around, just to add a bit more stability since I'm a heavier dude and I like more of a medium tight feel. Bottom stock bushing for the ventures is shorter though than the Doh Doh bottom bushing. How does having a taller bottom bushing effect the truck? Would it effect the trucks negatively? I am far from a truck scientist so I wouldn't know at all. Im sure this has been answered earlier somewhere in this thread but it's too many pages to browse through and I'm lazy hah.
[close]

Ah yes, salting your food before you taste it, and then wondering how it will taste. Which is great if you like salt.
After I set em up I cruised around and wasn't feeling the venture bushings at all, definitely prefer a harder bushing and the ventures felt too soft and mushy to me and i had the hard doh dohs lying around and I didn't feel like having to steadily break in the venture bushings and tighten them over time to my desired tightness as theyre breaking in when I could just put the doh dohs in and get that perfect medium tightness right off the bat, so I swapped em; had the doh dohs on some trucks in the past and liked em so figured I'd put em on these too, but hey what do I know about what I like right?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7777 on: February 06, 2020, 02:28:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I put thunder 95, blue ones, and they work good for me.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Diocletian

« Reply #7778 on: February 06, 2020, 05:35:30 AM »

Theeve’s. Oval yoke, wheels turn inward and the turn is just very slightly less amazing than Ace. Super hard to wheelbite with these trucks and I’m 210lbs. I’ve had the same issue as you with every other truck. No longer.... I sleep much better now.

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #7779 on: February 06, 2020, 05:43:44 AM »
Hey so I have a possible axel slip? One of my bearings is popping out of the wheel and isn't spinning very well, I tried pushing it down but that didn't work. I noticed that the other wheel spins fine, and feels looser feeling with the nut on. The other one which is tightened about the same feels tighter.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7780 on: February 06, 2020, 08:35:39 AM »
Hey so I have a possible axel slip? One of my bearings is popping out of the wheel and isn't spinning very well, I tried pushing it down but that didn't work. I noticed that the other wheel spins fine, and feels looser feeling with the nut on. The other one which is tightened about the same feels tighter.

maybe a bearing press would help

Diocletian

« Reply #7781 on: February 06, 2020, 08:59:16 AM »

Try pressing the bearing into the wheel on the other truck. If it doesn’t work it’s probably just the wheel. If it does, and this keeps happening on the problem truck, then yeah, could be axle slip?

Weezil

« Reply #7782 on: February 06, 2020, 10:32:43 AM »
just got my replacement pair of ventures from dlx today, raining where I'm at so can't go skate or anything. got the kaders as the replacement. these white bushings are amazing. idk if it was the green ones or what was going on, I'm not gonna fuck with them to see because they're perfect. last pair I had did not turn like this just standing on them, just standing on it they feel like they're gonna turn as good as Indys.

can't wait to give them a shot, they already feel way better than my last pair.

edit: also can finally seem to wheelbite them without fucking with the bushings. is this how it is with the purple bushings too? or did I just have a shitty pair before?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 10:35:04 AM by Weezil »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #7783 on: February 06, 2020, 10:36:16 AM »
just got my replacement pair of ventures from dlx today, raining where I'm at so can't go skate or anything. got the kaders as the replacement. these white bushings are amazing.
The 6.1 Kaders? I stay being tempted by those

Weezil

« Reply #7784 on: February 06, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »
5.8s, I stay going back and forth between 8.25 and 8.5s. tempted on the 6.1s too though if they turn even better than this though.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #7785 on: February 06, 2020, 11:34:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Try pressing the bearing into the wheel on the other truck. If it doesn’t work it’s probably just the wheel. If it does, and this keeps happening on the problem truck, then yeah, could be axle slip?

Do you use spacers in your wheels? Have you tried to put another bearing on top of the other to put it in the wheel?
I had the same problem, but in my case it were the wheel not the axle. cleaned the wheel with a bit of gasoline and the bearings popped in much smoother.
IG: @flowterspace

ClownOfTheDay

• I miss Assflea
« Reply #7786 on: February 06, 2020, 11:54:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Do you use spacers in your wheels? Have you tried to put another bearing on top of the other to put it in the wheel?
I had the same problem, but in my case it were the wheel not the axle. cleaned the wheel with a bit of gasoline and the bearings popped in much smoother.
No spacers, I first popped in my wheels the bearings were fine and rolled smoothly, I might have landed on my board weird or something that fucked either the wheel or truck up.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #7787 on: February 06, 2020, 12:55:15 PM »
Can even be some grain if you don’t use spacers anything can fuck up free spin of the wheel.

Always ride those speed ring washers.

PMA

ClownOfTheDay

• I miss Assflea
« Reply #7788 on: February 07, 2020, 05:49:19 AM »
Can even be some grain if you don’t use spacers anything can fuck up free spin of the wheel.

You know whats funny, I didn't have this problem until I took those off. I never fully understand those things.

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 93
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #7789 on: February 07, 2020, 11:22:27 AM »
I keep cracking my front pivot cup on my indys.
 I replaced it last week with another brand new Indy pivot cup and it’s already cracked. I can’t understand why it keeps happening.  My trucks aren’t tight at all. I don’t do any tricks off the nose.  I don’t skate drops over chest high. Haven’t been throwing my board.  I sometimes stomp down on flat ground tricks but I rarely skate flat for more than 5 mins.  I am a twig, weigh about 125 lbs.
Anybody got any ideas?

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #7790 on: February 07, 2020, 12:40:07 PM »
I keep cracking my front pivot cup on my indys.
 I replaced it last week with another brand new Indy pivot cup and it’s already cracked. I can’t understand why it keeps happening.  My trucks aren’t tight at all. I don’t do any tricks off the nose.  I don’t skate drops over chest high. Haven’t been throwing my board.  I sometimes stomp down on flat ground tricks but I rarely skate flat for more than 5 mins.  I am a twig, weigh about 125 lbs.
Anybody got any ideas?

Did you check the pivot cup area on the baseplate and on the base of the hangar for burrs or any other imperfections that might lead to uneven pressure getting put on the pivot cup itself?

Otherwise I’d say your best bet is a little bit of speed cream/coconut oil to minimize friction, or switch to a softer pivot cup like Khiros or Riptide.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #7791 on: February 07, 2020, 01:14:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
You know whats funny, I didn't have this problem until I took those off. I never fully understand those things.

I think spacers and speed rings should keep your bearings level in the wheels. You know all that impact and gravity and stuff. Sorry English isn't my native language.
IG: @flowterspace

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7792 on: February 07, 2020, 01:48:33 PM »
Speed rings are so the spinning inner races never touch the hanger or axle nut. They're kinda like a buffer cuz the hanger and nut aren't spinning.
Adding a lil space would also let poor fitting shields clear without rubbing.

Spacers are so big lateral loads (think stomped primo landings) don't misalign the inner races. Might also apply to slalom racers and freestylers doing 360's. The outer race should be supported by the wheel core.
The thickness of the spacer and the wheel core need to be the same. I don't bother with spacers cuz whenever I've tried them they were either too thick or too thin.

Is Khiro still in business? Their pivot cups have gotten hard to find. Riptide is pricey. There's Krux too. Shorty's, Supercush/DLX, and??
Active had nice pivot cups. Would have been nice to know who made those.
Be a lil careful with using oil on them too. Depending on the type of oil it could harden or soften the rubber.

Doing lotsa fs slappies? Slappy krooks?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #7793 on: February 07, 2020, 01:56:48 PM »

Is Khiro still in business? Their pivot cups have gotten hard to find. Riptide is pricey. There's Krux too. Shorty's, Supercush/DLX, and??
Be a lil careful with using oil on them too. Depending on the type of oil it could harden or soften the rubber.

MiniLogo pivot cups come in bulk. Nothing special, but not horrible - and cheap.  https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/mini-logo-white-pivot-cups-10-pack?source=googleshopping&locale=en-US

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #7794 on: February 07, 2020, 02:06:38 PM »
Want to throw some spacers in my set up but haven't bought a pair of bearings that included them (yet) and probably not worth just to grab separately. if thats even a thing

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7795 on: February 07, 2020, 02:07:31 PM »
Want to throw some spacers in my set up but haven't bought a pair of bearings that included them (yet) and probably not worth just to grab separately. if thats even a thing

It isn't, and it is.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7796 on: February 07, 2020, 05:01:34 PM »

Spacers are only worth it if the bearing seats are molded perfectly and parallel, and that's almost never the case in my experience.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #7797 on: February 07, 2020, 06:41:40 PM »

pretty sure the dude at Khiro passed away.

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #7798 on: February 07, 2020, 08:49:38 PM »

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 93
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #7799 on: February 09, 2020, 05:54:49 AM »

Did you check the pivot cup area on the baseplate and on the base of the hangar for burrs or any other imperfections that might lead to uneven pressure getting put on the pivot cup itself?

Otherwise I’d say your best bet is a little bit of speed cream/coconut oil to minimize friction, or switch to a softer pivot cup like Khiros or Riptide.

Thank you for your response and suggestions. Going to try them out.