Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232028 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7740 on: January 30, 2020, 12:39:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
shaved down my thunder stock bushings halfway. tried to take a hot knife to it at first and it was a butcher job. had to fix it up against my cruisers griptape. knowing i wouldnt be able to sleep without trying it out, i threw them back in my thunders went to the local ball courts in 30 degree weather.

with the nut flush they were at rattling looseness. within the first push i realized that i am not good enough to handle this twitch. pushing at full speed was a safety hazard and i dont have the balance to set up a trick when any sudden lean throws me. if you ride your thunders loose, mad respect to you. i tightened them to what would be a bit looser than flush with a regular bushing and it easily felt better than my reg tightness. my nollie back shoves were really on for the 45 min i stayed out.

not sure if ill stay on these bushings or go to a proper low bushing, but im sticking with a low top bushing from now on. i do want to get good enough eventually to ride almost rattly and i think the trick is to just let them get loose and never tighten them. with a couple threads peeking out, ill treat them like training wheels
[close]
Why though? Some weird pride thing? The only person that can ride thunders like that is Frank, and he's a 45 year old grown man with the body weight of a 12 year old boy. Just ride your shit stock and tight. Embrace the stability.
[close]

I love the sound of jinglingy washers in the morning. It sounds like victory.

It also feels good when someone who is really good trys to ride your set up and cant. I love that.
[close]

They just tip right off my board...but, I do the same on theirs because they're always too fucking tight...

yeah. Thats me on krux. I couldnt even push the two times I tried others'
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #7741 on: January 30, 2020, 01:27:49 PM »

Venture 5.6 Titaniums!

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7742 on: January 30, 2020, 07:57:53 PM »
Pretty sick.....I assume highs yeah?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #7743 on: January 31, 2020, 03:42:32 AM »
pretty sure 5.6, 5.8 and 6.1 only come in high, so yeah.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7744 on: January 31, 2020, 05:19:41 AM »

Venture 5.6 Titaniums!

Why does DLX/Venture think we want gold fucking baseplates on the TIs?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7745 on: January 31, 2020, 01:46:40 PM »
via Imgflip Meme Generator

id gnar you if I could

(A)pl(E)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #7746 on: January 31, 2020, 01:54:29 PM »
Expand Quote

Venture 5.6 Titaniums!
[close]

They should probably make some raws but I won't lie I'm pretty into it. Coloured hangers are always a no go but I can get behind black or anodized baseplates

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7747 on: January 31, 2020, 02:24:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Venture 5.6 Titaniums!
[close]

[close]

They should probably make some raws but I won't lie I'm pretty into it. Coloured hangers are always a no go but I can get behind black or anodized baseplates

same. Id still rock regs raw over a titanium with a pretty phresh ked color way.

Alva x venture

Limited run Eddie graphics
(A)pl(E)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7748 on: February 01, 2020, 09:48:50 PM »
for those who are loving ventures, were you riding wb shortening trucks (indy ace etc)?

going from thunder to venture (151 to 6.1) was a disappointment for me. i think cause they are both in the wb
stretching category that the difference isnt as huge and there is more to closely compare.

indy to venture is night and day with turn, stability, manual point, pop feel, etc. i can see why a long time indy rider would see them as a breath of fresh air. a thunder rider? i wouldnt think so. anybody switch from thunder to venture or vice versa?

my theory with venture's resurgence is the stark contrast to indy. independent is the most popular truck company with diehard fans/customers. give those customers reasons to try other shit (moving to china, pros leaving, nhs spongebob collabs) and brand loyalty loosens up a bit. give those same customers trucks that are bizarro indys performance wise, pick up bobby fucking worrest, and tell those people that they are "awake" from their purchase? dlx did a marketing masterclass with perfect timing
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #7749 on: February 01, 2020, 10:43:25 PM »
I think it's their shift to higher trucks and marketing.....it's a bit of a red herring I think....can't say I'm above it.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7750 on: February 01, 2020, 11:23:55 PM »
for those who are loving ventures, were you riding wb shortening trucks (indy ace etc)?

going from thunder to venture (151 to 6.1) was a disappointment for me. i think cause they are both in the wb
stretching category that the difference isnt as huge and there is more to closely compare.

indy to venture is night and day with turn, stability, manual point, pop feel, etc. i can see why a long time indy rider would see them as a breath of fresh air. a thunder rider? i wouldnt think so. anybody switch from thunder to venture or vice versa?

my theory with venture's resurgence is the stark contrast to indy. independent is the most popular truck company with diehard fans/customers. give those customers reasons to try other shit (moving to china, pros leaving, nhs spongebob collabs) and brand loyalty loosens up a bit. give those same customers trucks that are bizarro indys performance wise, pick up bobby fucking worrest, and tell those people that they are "awake" from their purchase? dlx did a marketing masterclass with perfect timing

Are you referring to the Forged or Cast? Cast adds 3.125", Forged adds 3.5", someone check the WB on your Trucks thread.

I'm riding a long WB DLX board right now (14.4") and the board was feeling really heavy with Thunders, the board wasn't sticking to my feet. Swapped them out for Indy Standard 144 and the pop definitely felt more lively. It's amazing how much 0.25" can change the feel of the board. Despite Indy's being heavier by weight the heft made pops and flicks feel more lofty, baseplate placement really helped out slides tremendous. However the front of the board did feel a little too light and the height at 55mm was a little hard to adjust to, 53.5 would have been about right.

I'm saving my Ventures for a board with a 14" WB, think that should get me a nice 17.5" WB.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7751 on: February 01, 2020, 11:42:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are you referring to the Forged or Cast? Cast adds 3.125", Forged adds 3.5", someone check the WB on your Trucks thread.

I'm riding a long WB DLX board right now (14.4") and the board was feeling really heavy with Thunders, the board wasn't sticking to my feet. Swapped them out for Indy Standard 144 and the pop definitely felt more lively. It's amazing how much 0.25" can change the feel of the board. Despite Indy's being heavier by weight the heft made pops and flicks feel more lofty, baseplate placement really helped out slides tremendous. However the front of the board did feel a little too light and the height at 55mm was a little hard to adjust to, 53.5 would have been about right.

I'm saving my Ventures for a board with a 14" WB, think that should get me a nice 17.5" WB.
are you talking about indys?

i had a real twin tail with that same wb and indy 144 standard. the thing was that it popped, but popped way lower than i wanted it. didnt like it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #7752 on: February 02, 2020, 12:09:16 AM »

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7753 on: February 02, 2020, 12:24:23 AM »

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #7754 on: February 02, 2020, 02:56:13 AM »
I got my Film 5.5s last week and I'm LOVING them. That little bushing nipple plus their geometry is magic, I'm riding them at factory tightness which is pretty loose for me and I keep thinking that I'm going to bottom out or bite but it never happens.

They kind of remind me of my theeve ti-hanger with the whole "stable on center but turns on a dime" thing but aren't quite as snappy and responsive. There's a little more resistance which gives them this amazing surf-y feel while maintaining the tight turn. They felt broken in right out of the box, no squeaking or stiff feel. They're on the close together side wheelbase wise like an Ace or theeve, which probably helps add to that tight turning radius.

Pop is great, feels similar to a forged venture or indy to me which is ideal. Casting looks really high quality, no pitting or wonky spots. The bushings are awesome, best stock bushings I've tried in a long time... Maybe ever. I found it interesting that the bottom one appears to be machined but the top is molded, I guess so they could get the nipple.

Only complaint I have is not about the trucks.. I ordered the hollows and Eurotings sent me the raws. Luckily another SLAP member that I trade stuff with from time to time wanted the raws so I just emailed ET and told them what happened and then put in an order for a set of raws and they're going to send the hollows (and some freebies to make up for the fuck up) this time. So if anyone else was curious about Film I can add to the previous favorable reviews here and definitely recommend them.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7755 on: February 02, 2020, 09:51:52 AM »
I got my Film 5.5s last week and I'm LOVING them. That little bushing nipple plus their geometry is magic, I'm riding them at factory tightness which is pretty loose for me and I keep thinking that I'm going to bottom out or bite but it never happens.

They kind of remind me of my theeve ti-hanger with the whole "stable on center but turns on a dime" thing but aren't quite as snappy and responsive. There's a little more resistance which gives them this amazing surf-y feel while maintaining the tight turn. They felt broken in right out of the box, no squeaking or stiff feel. They're on the close together side wheelbase wise like an Ace or theeve, which probably helps add to that tight turning radius.

Pop is great, feels similar to a forged venture or indy to me which is ideal. Casting looks really high quality, no pitting or wonky spots. The bushings are awesome, best stock bushings I've tried in a long time... Maybe ever. I found it interesting that the bottom one appears to be machined but the top is molded, I guess so they could get the nipple.

Only complaint I have is not about the trucks.. I ordered the hollows and Eurotings sent me the raws. Luckily another SLAP member that I trade stuff with from time to time wanted the raws so I just emailed ET and told them what happened and then put in an order for a set of raws and they're going to send the hollows (and some freebies to make up for the fuck up) this time. So if anyone else was curious about Film I can add to the previous favorable reviews here and definitely recommend them.
You've got me touching my nipple. Keep us updated. I'm curious about what the alloy/grind is like. Anyone with these also ridden Ace's?

Seems pretty cool of Eurotings to fix their goof up like that. Glad it worked out for you.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #7756 on: February 05, 2020, 04:32:29 AM »
The bushings in my thunder hollow lights are cracking/breaking after 2 months of winter skating... it's bound to happen I suppose. Whats the stock hardness of the bushings? From what I found on the internet they're all 90a in thunders. I want to replace them with the same hardness.

Also, the axles are looking rusty. I've never experienced this before. Is it normal? I usually skate indy or ace and these are the first trucks I've ever owned that have hollow axles... maybe the metal is different and more susceptible to rust? I do live in a very humid area but I've never had this happen with any of my indy or aces.

chappers

« Reply #7757 on: February 05, 2020, 05:29:01 AM »

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #7758 on: February 05, 2020, 05:58:02 AM »
The bushings in my thunder hollow lights are cracking/breaking after 2 months of winter skating... it's bound to happen I suppose. Whats the stock hardness of the bushings? From what I found on the internet they're all 90a in thunders. I want to replace them with the same hardness.

Also, the axles are looking rusty. I've never experienced this before. Is it normal? I usually skate indy or ace and these are the first trucks I've ever owned that have hollow axles... maybe the metal is different and more susceptible to rust? I do live in a very humid area but I've never had this happen with any of my indy or aces.

Got my first Indy hollows recently (by accident, shop gave me one hollow and one standard and I said fuck it) and the inside of the axle looks rusty after a month. Even if it was rust it wouldn't affect function, but it's a bit of an eyesore.

Diamonds and Wood

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7759 on: February 05, 2020, 05:58:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Between this and the bushing guy, the thread needs to be deleted for posterity’s sake.

Heywoodfloyd

• Rep: 13
« Reply #7760 on: February 05, 2020, 06:46:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Between this and the bushing guy, the thread needs to be deleted for posterity’s sake.

[close]

Two top bushings?

satan

« Reply #7761 on: February 05, 2020, 07:08:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Two top bushings?
These are Ace's? And Ace uses thicker bushings, right?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7762 on: February 05, 2020, 08:46:10 AM »
Looks like two bones tops....

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #7763 on: February 05, 2020, 09:33:36 AM »

Posted this in the venture thread but thought I'd post it in here as well. First set of trucks I've skated that weren't Indys in over ten years. Haven't had a chance to fully test them out yet but I'm digging it so far; like the difference in wheelbase so far, will report back soon with how I feel about them as I skate em more.

Also right off the bat I switched em out for some hard DohDohs I had lying around, just to add a bit more stability since I'm a heavier dude and I like more of a medium tight feel. Bottom stock bushing for the ventures is shorter though than the Doh Doh bottom bushing. How does having a taller bottom bushing effect the truck? Would it effect the trucks negatively? I am far from a truck scientist so I wouldn't know at all. Im sure this has been answered earlier somewhere in this thread but it's too many pages to browse through and I'm lazy hah.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #7764 on: February 05, 2020, 09:39:36 AM »
good luck with those, I loved the 5.8s I had, though I slipped both axles within 5 sessions. hoping the replacement pair I have coming from dlx treats me better. really loved the grind and pop, the turn sucked for me at 145lbs, but ended up liking it more than the stiffness of thunders after adjusting, just when I had them broken in and dialed in they broke. such is life.

as far as bushings go, top being too big or too small isn't gonna mess the geo up, but it'll be harder to get the nut to thread. always could run the stock top or just tighten down the stock pair a little bit.

satan

« Reply #7765 on: February 05, 2020, 09:55:22 AM »

Posted this in the venture thread but thought I'd post it in here as well. First set of trucks I've skated that weren't Indys in over ten years. Haven't had a chance to fully test them out yet but I'm digging it so far; like the difference in wheelbase so far, will report back soon with how I feel about them as I skate em more.

Also right off the bat I switched em out for some hard DohDohs I had lying around, just to add a bit more stability since I'm a heavier dude and I like more of a medium tight feel. Bottom stock bushing for the ventures is shorter though than the Doh Doh bottom bushing. How does having a taller bottom bushing effect the truck? Would it effect the trucks negatively? I am far from a truck scientist so I wouldn't know at all. Im sure this has been answered earlier somewhere in this thread but it's too many pages to browse through and I'm lazy hah.
Taller bottom (boardslide) bushing should make trucks feel carvier but it's just a tiny geometry change.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #7766 on: February 05, 2020, 10:01:58 AM »

How many sets of Bones bushings did you buy to get all those washers?   ;D

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #7767 on: February 05, 2020, 11:36:18 AM »

Ah yes, salting your food before you taste it, and then wondering how it will taste. Which is great if you like salt.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #7768 on: February 05, 2020, 11:41:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

at least six, maybe twelve. ^^
nah I think he/she got the washers from home depot or something. the question remains.. why?
IG: @flowterspace

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7769 on: February 05, 2020, 11:57:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

at least six, maybe twelve. ^^
nah I think he/she got the washers from home depot or something. the question remains.. why?
I see you're a man of culture as well.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.