Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232426 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7890 on: March 04, 2020, 08:15:44 AM »
Expand Quote
I’m trying to improve stability on my extremely squirrelly setup without losing too much turn. As it stands it feels like I’m standing on a tightrope when setting up for tricks.  I have an 8 inch deck on Indy stage 9 129samd keep them loose enough to were I can make a fairly tight 90degree turn Around a corner when skating in the city. Normally I would just buy 8.25 trucks, but I cant afford that at the moment. I was thinking about going with some Indy hard bushings or medium hards. How much of a difference are the medium hards than stock? I only weigh 110lbs so am hesitant to go with hards. Any other setup tricks to get more stability without compromising turn too much like with washers and hard/soft bushing combos etc?
[close]
Stage 9 duralites have conical bottom bushings, right?
A cylinder/barrel bushing should be a lil more stable on center, but not dive into turns as quickly.
I'd suggest trying orange (90a?) Indy or Thunder/Deluxe cylinders.
I feel like trucks even with board width is more stable if you're talking about actually lifting wheels off the ground.
Trucks wider than my board bugs me tho.
You link up with any other jdm guys? With the way some ppl here change up their gear you guys might be able to just trade stuff.

Best advice for sure. When I swapped to bones bushing in my Ventures (from the dual duro ace combo) I felt like I was on a tightrope as well, as if I was constantly trying to balance on a flat bar; there is a lot to be tweaked based on truck width, how loose you rise and what you are doing.

dakara

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #7891 on: March 04, 2020, 02:33:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What are the dimensions on the board you are riding? I find Indys on a shorter deck can make the board turn very sharply and be too light on the pop. Going the other extreme with Venture Hollow Light trucks will make the board turn more gradually but you will struggle to get pop on a shorter board since the tail gets shortened.

It is short, 8x31.25x13.75 wheelbase. It’s a Japanese shop blank, when I asked the dude at the shop why they are so short( I Measured weeks after buying) he said that it was because Japanese skaters are generally shorter. Extremely short wheelbase when paired with indies, never thought about it but makes sense it’s twitchy with turn, same with cars. It does indeed pop like shit too and I get into that on the wb thread, but I tried using the nose as the tail a few days ago and that somewhat rectified that problem. Def wanna go with a whole new setup soon though but money is really tight and gear is expensive here so for the time being I’m working with what I’ve got.

Expand Quote
I’m trying to improve stability on my extremely squirrelly setup without losing too much turn. As it stands it feels like I’m standing on a tightrope when setting up for tricks.  I have an 8 inch deck on Indy stage 9 129samd keep them loose enough to were I can make a fairly tight 90degree turn Around a corner when skating in the city. Normally I would just buy 8.25 trucks, but I cant afford that at the moment. I was thinking about going with some Indy hard bushings or medium hards. How much of a difference are the medium hards than stock? I only weigh 110lbs so am hesitant to go with hards. Any other setup tricks to get more stability without compromising turn too much like with washers and hard/soft bushing combos etc?
[close]
A cylinder/barrel bushing should be a lil more stable on center, but not dive into turns as quickly.
I feel like trucks even with board width is more stable if you're talking about actually lifting wheels off the ground.
You link up with any other jdm guys? With the way some ppl here change up their gear you guys might be able to just trade stuff.

Yes they are dual conical. Hmm I think I’m going to try that.

I don’t hang out with many skate dudes, just people that practice flat ground at the local non skate park if I happen to be there at the same time as them we chat a little and session the diy curb there and they don’t seem to be gearheads, so idk if trading is an option.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #7892 on: March 04, 2020, 07:06:12 PM »
I like harder bushings on loose trucks for improved stability. I'm currently using 92a Krux conical bushings on Indy 144, but without the bottom washer to allow for more room and a bit more turn. I use a thin, flat washer on top for the same reason. I keep the nut just so that the trucks are slightly rattly and I can twist the bushings with my fingers. This setup gives me a loose and responsive feel, but gives resistance when I turn too deep or land awkwardly.

However, your first step should probably be to get wider trucks. Width will give you more stability and control, even on soft bushings. If you're planning to stick with 8", then you definitely need 139s. 144s if you go beyond that.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7893 on: March 04, 2020, 07:28:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

What are the dimensions on the board you are riding? I find Indys on a shorter deck can make the board turn very sharply and be too light on the pop. Going the other extreme with Venture Hollow Light trucks will make the board turn more gradually but you will struggle to get pop on a shorter board since the tail gets shortened.
[close]

It is short, 8x31.25x13.75 wheelbase. It’s a Japanese shop blank, when I asked the dude at the shop why they are so short( I Measured weeks after buying) he said that it was because Japanese skaters are generally shorter. Extremely short wheelbase when paired with indies, never thought about it but makes sense it’s twitchy with turn, same with cars. It does indeed pop like shit too and I get into that on the wb thread, but I tried using the nose as the tail a few days ago and that somewhat rectified that problem. Def wanna go with a whole new setup soon though but money is really tight and gear is expensive here so for the time being I’m working with what I’ve got.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yes they are dual conical. Hmm I think I’m going to try that.

I don’t hang out with many skate dudes, just people that practice flat ground at the local non skate park if I happen to be there at the same time as them we chat a little and session the diy curb there and they don’t seem to be gearheads, so idk if trading is an option.

Sound like an Evisen blank, which is from the dwindle / DSM woodshop. They tend to make tiny boards below 31.6" length and 14" WB. Flippy but way too tiny for my liking, and I'm a small Asian (170cm, 65kg). Experimented with:
Destrucos (fairly similar to Indys) - nose became too light, but turned well
Venture - board became too heavy with a much longer WB and shrinking the tail with already steep kicks
Thunder - right down the middle, made the board skate-able but not amazing

I'm pretty biased against Indys, never had a great experience with them, only so-so.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #7894 on: March 05, 2020, 07:34:44 AM »

I switched to the harder, blue aftermarket indy conicals. The conical shape gives it that easy turning but the harder bushings help a lot with stability. Less tight-ropey for sure and if you played around with something softer on the top or bottom, I bet you could find a sweet spot. I have indy 144's but it should be a similar deal. Right now I kind of hate my indys but I feel like I'll phase back into them at some point and I'm for sure I upgraded the bushings when I did.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7895 on: March 05, 2020, 07:41:02 AM »
After months on Thunder 151s, I threw on some Ace 55s today. Big set up, 9.8, 58mm wheels, 1/4" risers and the difference was insane even on a quick flatground session. Kick flips came right back after a no kick flip 2020 thus far. Less effort to pop. Hopefully head to the bowl today...

I think Thunders are best with a lower, smaller wheel set up...

I've got to stop switching though and commit to one truck b/c these Thunders felt great when I put them on after months on Aces....

christopherwalters

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7896 on: March 05, 2020, 09:24:39 AM »
I want to get 151 Thunders and I'm currently riding 8.38/8.5. Would the axles or the wheels stick out on the 8.38?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #7897 on: March 05, 2020, 09:56:58 AM »
I want to get 151 Thunders and I'm currently riding 8.38/8.5. Would the axles or the wheels stick out on the 8.38?
yes. 151 are 8.75" axles. So the difference being 0.37" or it will stick out 3/16" on each side. not crazy but i'd stay within 1/4" wider trucks than deck width, it'd work well on your 8.5"

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #7898 on: March 05, 2020, 09:58:45 AM »
After months on Thunder 151s, I threw on some Ace 55s today. Big set up, 9.8, 58mm wheels, 1/4" risers and the difference was insane even on a quick flatground session. Kick flips came right back after a no kick flip 2020 thus far. Less effort to pop. Hopefully head to the bowl today...

yeah higher set up, but surprised by the pop effort. mellow kick deck? I'm considering trying 1/4" risers and larger wheels.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7899 on: March 05, 2020, 03:42:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
yeah higher set up, but surprised by the pop effort. mellow kick deck? I'm considering trying 1/4" risers and larger wheels.

Not the height. Thunder and Ace are very close in height. I think its more to with axle position. Thunder are good if you like a steeper but slower pop, Ace if you want a quicker but mellower pop. Not sure if that makes sense...

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #7900 on: March 05, 2020, 07:34:37 PM »
Can anyone comment on if loose kingpins fucked with the turn of their trucks?

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7901 on: March 06, 2020, 12:31:50 AM »
Yeah. I'd think there'd be a weird, wobbly dead zone on center but never had to deal with it.

I feel like an asshole for even thinking this.. but..
Anyone fucked with Ti standard/cast?
Ti hanger + cast baseplate, regular kingpin..
I've got the parts and seems like it'd make sense for 159's

I've got some Krux and Riptide pivot cups. And some Active's..
Softer for a more cruiser setup? curbstomper, ditches, not a beer n coffee board..
Harder for the regular street board?

Someone mentioned hollow kingpins are different material. I think they're right, I was wrong..
Hollow looks like stainless steel, not zinc plated like I thought. Easy way to check would be spark test if you know what that is.
Standard KP should be regular steel and a lil bit softer?

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #7902 on: March 06, 2020, 01:03:48 AM »
^^^ Yeah never had to until recently either, thanks for the input

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #7903 on: March 06, 2020, 03:24:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Back on indy 149s with the 88a conical bushings. They really feel like shit next to my worn in thunder 151s. The timing on ollies is great and there is less wheelbite issues but the turn is so sluggish... I've got to stop alternating between truck brands and just commit to one...
[close]

I had similar experiences with those indy red 88's. As soon as I'd take them out to skate they would feel really agile and would turn quick right away, but after awhile, deeper into the session it seemed like it would seize up and the turning felt more sluggish. Then again, its been cold out lately when this has happened, so I figured that had something to do with it.   

Gotta be something with the compound and the season. Got the same in an old set of Indys and when it’s warm, they’re great. As soon as it got cold it’s like they stiffened up to the point of not turning at all. Yanked em for some supercush 88s and it’s all good.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7904 on: March 06, 2020, 03:48:20 AM »

Anyone seen these before? From Australia.

http://www.mantonskateboards.com.au/index.php/en/shop/trucks

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7905 on: March 06, 2020, 09:40:06 AM »
Check that rusty nut
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #7906 on: March 06, 2020, 12:03:48 PM »

Anyone seen these before? From Australia.

http://www.mantonskateboards.com.au/index.php/en/shop/trucks

I looked them up and they're like a bootleg theeve with titanium, but they look like bullet trucks or some sort of low cost trucks.

Edit: this is prime less popular truck thread stuff lol
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:05:35 PM by whatsreallygood »

Diocletian

« Reply #7907 on: March 06, 2020, 04:16:55 PM »
Any fellow supernerds know if NHS got new molds when they switched to China or if they were using old ones but merely on a different continent?

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7908 on: March 06, 2020, 04:43:08 PM »
Any fellow supernerds know if NHS got new molds when they switched to China or if they were using old ones but merely on a different continent?
I can tell that the baseplates are slightly different. Idk about the hangers..
The change to the finish/polish could be from using finer sand? But I think they're just polishing the shit outta em now cuz China doesn't care about water pollution, cheaper electricity/labor rates..

Cast baseplate..
Put it next to an old "assembled in US" baseplate and the China one was a tiny bit taller/thicker at the mounting pad.
So probably a tiny bit taller where the bottom washer goes.. and total height..
Tiny, tiny change..
About 0.5mm, 0.020" but I didn't break out a straight edge and feeler gauges..
Or think to use my micrometer or caliper. drrh..

Forged baseplate..
Didn't notice any thickness changes but some edges might have a slightly different radius?
I've got some old and new Ti's now so I'll have a second look..
*The parting line for the die is now on the bottom of the baseplate*
Stage X has the parting line visible on the side of the mounting pad
I think the earlier Ti has the parting line on the side but should double check..

Parting line..
How to explain this?
Forged aluminum stuff is made in a two-part (or more..) metal die.
There's a small seam where the dies meet and aluminum will flow into it and form a tiny ridge.
That ridge is the parting line left in the finished piece.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #7909 on: March 06, 2020, 04:45:56 PM »
Or nah
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #7910 on: March 06, 2020, 04:46:45 PM »
@satan, cool info, ty

secondhandstoke

• Rep: -448
« Reply #7911 on: March 07, 2020, 01:41:33 PM »

yeah

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #7912 on: March 07, 2020, 02:24:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah

ty, buddies theeve v2s have the issue and I was wondering if the kingpin was throwing them off significantly since there weren't regular equivalents to compare to

secondhandstoke

« Reply #7913 on: March 07, 2020, 02:33:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah
[close]

ty, buddies theeve v2s have the issue and I was wondering if the kingpin was throwing them off significantly since there weren't regular equivalents to compare to

get some jb weld and fix those kingpins

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #7914 on: March 07, 2020, 02:36:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah
[close]

[close]

get some jb weld and fix those kingpins

I'll tell my buddy to do that

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #7915 on: March 07, 2020, 04:54:47 PM »
Dudes who run bones top washers

Is banging into the bushing ever an issue? I always get marks on the top washer like this:

So I'm hesitant to use them and end up accidentally shaving off a chunk the the bushing. On the other hand, more turning sounds nice.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 05:47:01 PM by whatsreallygood »

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7916 on: March 07, 2020, 08:29:38 PM »
How do you measure truck height? I know you based it off the distance between the baseplate and axle, but I don't know if you end at the bottom of the axle or at the middle of the axle.

secondhandstoke

« Reply #7917 on: March 07, 2020, 08:33:41 PM »
How do you measure truck height? I know you based it off the distance between the baseplate and axle, but I don't know if you end at the bottom of the axle or at the middle of the axle.

bottom of the baseplate to top of axle

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7918 on: March 08, 2020, 07:15:57 AM »
Anyone tried making frankenstein Venture trucks?

I have a pair of Venture 5.6 V-Hollow but would like to shift the WB by only 3.25" instead of the usual 3.4-3.5". Been eyeing a pair of Venture 5.0 Lo to swap out the baseplate.

Is truck height determined by baseplate or hanger height? Seems like all baseplates from that brand are universal.

hanger
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #7919 on: March 08, 2020, 10:23:41 AM »
I was just going through my box of old skate stuff and realized I have a set of Stage 10 149's with plenty of life left.  I know some of the older Indy pros skate older stages.  Are these worth anything?