Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232071 times)

Vintagebody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 81
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8070 on: March 29, 2020, 11:01:35 AM »
Did you really think different trucks make your board change shape? Good going there buddy, glad you could confirm it didn't.

Where did I claim that?

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #8071 on: March 29, 2020, 07:52:24 PM »
To semi pacify madness, I've decided to have 3 setups, each with different trucks.
Nostalgia setup: Blind Lotti football with Indys
Trying something different setup: business and company 8.12 with thunder 147.
Safety net setup: deck TBD, Venture lo 5.2

Not sure what deck with the venture trucks yet. To add to the crazy, I have different shoes for each. In theory that will keep that "same feel" to each situation.

I also learned that my ankle is still weak af from tearing tendons in December so I can't really do any tricks currently anyway, just roll in my driveway

I also feel like when my job is pissing me off, it comes out in my personal life via truck madness. Like my mind is trying to find some place to put the inner quarrel, coupled with me watching old skate vids daily and having mot skated since before Xmas

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8072 on: March 29, 2020, 10:35:00 PM »
So you wear a Nike on your right and a DC on your left?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #8073 on: March 30, 2020, 07:21:38 AM »
Got back on the aces today.

Yeah I thought I had the ventures highs turning like the ace but no.

I just basically got use to it by bending it to my will.

I apologize to anyone who believed me when I said I got a venture as loose as my aces.

I was wrong
It's okay, we have all been blinded by stoke in the past. We didn't believe you.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #8074 on: March 30, 2020, 11:37:58 AM »
Koston's current setup.  He redrilled the rear of the baseplate?

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8075 on: March 30, 2020, 12:53:41 PM »
Koston's current setup.  He redrilled the rear of the baseplate?

Would have to be 8 holes on each baseplate, hanger is blocking the view.
3/8" offset for each baseplate, looks like he's shortening the wheelbase by 3/4".
He must not like that Venture pop and be trying for Indy ghost pop?

PeskOne

• Rep: 10
  • Skateboarding: Only drug worth the side effects.
« Reply #8076 on: March 31, 2020, 08:10:02 AM »
What do you guys think about 5.6 venture trucks to 8 board? The only 8 trucks i can skate is thunder but i want to try venture again. Ordered the 5.6 8.25 axle. Indy 144 works with 8 board without bolts sticking out. I just wonder if venture may be the best 8 truck out there and i made a mistake.
Skateboarding an addiction stronger than Heroin.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8077 on: March 31, 2020, 09:30:16 AM »
What do you guys think about 5.6 venture trucks to 8 board? The only 8 trucks i can skate is thunder but i want to try venture again. Ordered the 5.6 8.25 axle. Indy 144 works with 8 board without bolts sticking out. I just wonder if venture may be the best 8 truck out there and i made a mistake.

It may stick out slightly but nothing to get stressed about. I'm becoming a fan of riding slightly wider trucks than my board - more stable and lots of room for grinds. Can't go wrong with the 5.2 or 5.6 IMO - 5.2 will be more nimble for flips, 5.6 would give more stability.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

PeskOne

« Reply #8078 on: March 31, 2020, 09:39:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It may stick out slightly but nothing to get stressed about. I'm becoming a fan of riding slightly wider trucks than my board - more stable and lots of room for grinds. Can't go wrong with the 5.2 or 5.6 IMO - 5.2 will be more nimble for flips, 5.6 would give more stability.

Okay thanks alot, that calmed my nerves a bit. I know i wont go smaller than 8 so the 5.6 felt right and also i like wider trucks. The only thing im thinking about is 3flips may be harder to scoop. But thats probably how good you are and used to the setup. So in the long run it will probably not make a big difference.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8079 on: March 31, 2020, 09:50:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Okay thanks alot, that calmed my nerves a bit. I know i wont go smaller than 8 so the 5.6 felt right and also i like wider trucks. The only thing im thinking about is 3flips may be harder to scoop. But thats probably how good you are and used to the setup. So in the long run it will probably not make a big difference.

Can't do a 360 flip to save my life but I really liked the 5.2 Lo for ledges. It took 30 minutes to get used to the reduced height; felt like my tail was bottoming out too soon, but pinch of grinds more than made up for it. I'm still working on BS Smiths and getting them pointy, the couple of millimeters reduced height did help give me the confidence to work on them.

Pinch aside the differ a fair but from Indys in terms of pop feel. Indys (and Destructos) bring the WB in slightly, giving you a lighter pop; something I'm not a fan of since I end up rocketing my board when popping into slides or grinds. I have to adjust how I pop and drag to compensate. Ventures will give a very hefty pop, not for everyone though.

Last thing I like is being able to ride them wobble loose without the trucks falling apart. Could be more a function of the bushings being worn in but I rode them slightly looser than factory looseness and they never game close to falling apart on me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8080 on: March 31, 2020, 10:13:30 AM »
if you wanted super loose trucks with out much fuss we used to do this.

Flip the the lock nut so the plastic is on the inside after its been threaded fully by the kingpin.

Then once its on properly and the desired feel is achieved grind down the bolt on whatever is around or do some Smith grinds.

Sometimes its forever you can glue it so its forever but it's cheaper to wreck a bolt than miss cutting a bushing.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #8081 on: March 31, 2020, 10:45:10 AM »
I recently got conical bottom bushings, what is the difference between barrell and conical?
Can't remember the last time I rode conical bushings.

Also Indy posted a picture of the new mid truck on their insta. Seems like they are coming soon.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:46:52 AM by fs1/2cab »
IG: @flowterspace

legion

« Reply #8082 on: March 31, 2020, 01:12:56 PM »
Looks like the Kreper kingpin but stainless or zinc plated. Idk about the length but seems about right.
Who wants to be the guinea pig?

https://www.suregrip.com/product-p/kpallen.htm $2.25

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #8083 on: March 31, 2020, 02:20:25 PM »
Looks like the Kreper kingpin but stainless or zinc plated. Idk about the length but seems about right.

3/8 is hardware size lol

legion

« Reply #8084 on: March 31, 2020, 02:26:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

3/8 is hardware size lol
3/8" is the size for the nut/socket/wrench..
Hardware bolt size is #10-32
Kingpin is 3/8-24
Lolz ;)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8085 on: March 31, 2020, 04:12:38 PM »

Only if the plate is hex like film, otherwise I'd rather not deal with epoxy/jb weld to keep it in place.

Also, no idea why they wouldn't do something like this instead of that chunky fucking pin...I mean, NHS distributes krux...clearly they've seen a good execution before ;)

legion

« Reply #8086 on: March 31, 2020, 05:20:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Only if the plate is hex like film, otherwise I'd rather not deal with epoxy/jb weld to keep it in place.

Also, no idea why they wouldn't do something like this instead of that chunky fucking pin...I mean, NHS distributes krux...clearly they've seen a good execution before ;)
https://www.mcmaster.com/94785a442
A square nut plus threadlocker might work. Or some custom/diy nyloc action?
What trips me out on kingpin swaps is getting the angle correct. I've been thinking of ways to make a jig to hold the bolt while the epoxy hardens.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #8087 on: March 31, 2020, 07:21:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
https://www.mcmaster.com/94785a442
A square nut plus threadlocker might work. Or some custom/diy nyloc action?
What trips me out on kingpin swaps is getting the angle correct. I've been thinking of ways to make a jig to hold the bolt while the epoxy hardens.

on the ones i've seen, people use bushings & washers on the upside-down kingpin so the nut stays in the correct place.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #8088 on: March 31, 2020, 08:10:38 PM »
Guys idk if this helps but I recently discovered why I was hating my indys for a moment and my venture v hollow 5.6

Turns out the bottom bushing is supposed to have the rounded edge against the truck hangar not the washer/baseplate

Gives you a way different feeling and response

Was riding the bottom sharp flat side against the hangar and was just too tight and snappy

No freedom or lean
yes

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #8089 on: March 31, 2020, 10:42:24 PM »
Guys idk if this helps but I recently discovered why I was hating my indys for a moment and my venture v hollow 5.6

Turns out the bottom bushing is supposed to have the rounded edge against the truck hangar not the washer/baseplate

Was riding the bottom sharp flat side against the hangar and was just too tight and snappy

No freedom or lean

Does that mean that if I look at a set of conical Indy bushings that I'll see a rounded edge on the side that contacts the hanger?   :o

PeskOne

« Reply #8090 on: April 01, 2020, 03:26:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Can't do a 360 flip to save my life but I really liked the 5.2 Lo for ledges. It took 30 minutes to get used to the reduced height; felt like my tail was bottoming out too soon, but pinch of grinds more than made up for it. I'm still working on BS Smiths and getting them pointy, the couple of millimeters reduced height did help give me the confidence to work on them.

Pinch aside the differ a fair but from Indys in terms of pop feel. Indys (and Destructos) bring the WB in slightly, giving you a lighter pop; something I'm not a fan of since I end up rocketing my board when popping into slides or grinds. I have to adjust how I pop and drag to compensate. Ventures will give a very hefty pop, not for everyone though.

Last thing I like is being able to ride them wobble loose without the trucks falling apart. Could be more a function of the bushings being worn in but I rode them slightly looser than factory looseness and they never game close to falling apart on me.

I had a kinda big break wich i regret but it was a dark hole in my life. Before i rode thunders, kinda loose, could only do tres on loose trucks. Now im back at it since last summer, didnt skate in the winter so i have to get used to it once again. But with loose trucks last summer i could land my tres but not roll away. Also to mention in the big break may 3 years i gone up 30-40 kilos so its like im skating with somonelse body. I liked the feel of indies, but didnt like doing tricks on them. Switched to thunder to indy to often to really get used to em again. I remember i had an real board last summer that i fucking loved, dont remember if i had thunders on or indys. But sadly it broke after 2 days of a simple bs 180. And havent had a setup that felt that good since.

Now im goin to skate my venture v lights 5.6 however they feel in the start till i get used to them. Have skated ventures when younger and always liked them. First they will be on my flip deck 8.0. When that deck is wrecked i will put them on my primitive board 8.125. Skatedelux says venture 5.6 goes with 8.125 to 8.5 or something. And i heard ventures are good with primitive, so looking forward to getting used to skating again and then switching to my primitive when i gotten used to skating again.  :)

Diocletian

« Reply #8091 on: April 01, 2020, 07:49:56 AM »
Expand Quote

No freedom or lean
[close]

Does that mean that if I look at a set of conical Indy bushings that I'll see a rounded edge on the side that contacts the hanger?   :o

Hello darkness my old friend....

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8092 on: April 01, 2020, 08:00:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I had a kinda big break wich i regret but it was a dark hole in my life. Before i rode thunders, kinda loose, could only do tres on loose trucks. Now im back at it since last summer, didnt skate in the winter so i have to get used to it once again. But with loose trucks last summer i could land my tres but not roll away. Also to mention in the big break may 3 years i gone up 30-40 kilos so its like im skating with somonelse body. I liked the feel of indies, but didnt like doing tricks on them. Switched to thunder to indy to often to really get used to em again. I remember i had an real board last summer that i fucking loved, dont remember if i had thunders on or indys. But sadly it broke after 2 days of a simple bs 180. And havent had a setup that felt that good since.

Now im goin to skate my venture v lights 5.6 however they feel in the start till i get used to them. Have skated ventures when younger and always liked them. First they will be on my flip deck 8.0. When that deck is wrecked i will put them on my primitive board 8.125. Skatedelux says venture 5.6 goes with 8.125 to 8.5 or something. And i heard ventures are good with primitive, so looking forward to getting used to skating again and then switching to my primitive when i gotten used to skating again.  :)

It's a bullshit theory that I had in mind:
1) Most of the riders seem to ride for Venture
2) Most of their decks seem to have short WB and Ventures extend WB the most of any trucks, between 3.25 - 3.5"

I just like how they pop - heavy and you can get the "suck to your feet" feeling with them. I've not been able to get that same feeling consistently with Indys, Thunders or Tensors.

(or probably because I'm a huge anal retentive baby)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #8093 on: April 01, 2020, 08:45:32 AM »
my Indy 149s feel awesome now. Put in the aftermarket blue conicals (92a) and they were feeling ok but too tight. Found some old bones flat washers and put them on the board side. Perfect trucks. Good center point but turnnnn and don't get wheelbite just rolling around. Truck madness = gone

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #8094 on: April 01, 2020, 12:00:05 PM »
my Indy 149s feel awesome now. Put in the aftermarket blue conicals (92a) and they were feeling ok but too tight. Found some old bones flat washers and put them on the board side. Perfect trucks. Good center point but turnnnn and don't get wheelbite just rolling around. Truck madness = gone

I tried that too with 90a conicals but my bottom bushings squished over the flat washer. Don't think this can't be good for the bushings. But sick if it works for you.
IG: @flowterspace

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #8095 on: April 01, 2020, 02:51:56 PM »
My indies forged 149 have all stock washers removed and bones hardcore bushing. They are like made for each other. I have indy yellow blue and black cylinder style like stock and theres no comparison. No stock washers and bones hardcore and hardcore washer.  Perfect together for me and no break in like you need with the indy ones.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #8096 on: April 01, 2020, 04:37:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

No freedom or lean
[close]

[close]

Hello darkness my old friend....

Not the conicals

Only the barrel cylinder standard stock ones they have on ventures, ace and indys or really any trucks with cylinder bushings, round edge against the hanger for that true turn

Cause I had the idea that with conicals there’s only the sharp edged flat side that goes against the hangar so the principle is the same with the cylinder

But it’s not, the smoother rounded edge side of the cylinder bushing contacts the hangar and the sharp flat side contacts the washer
yes

thinlizzy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #8097 on: April 01, 2020, 09:48:20 PM »
picked up a pair of the independent super soft bushings for my 139’s. Riding them with both washers, nut flush with kingpin

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8098 on: April 02, 2020, 01:00:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's a bullshit theory that I had in mind:
1) Most of the riders seem to ride for Venture
2) Most of their decks seem to have short WB and Ventures extend WB the most of any trucks, between 3.25 - 3.5"

I just like how they pop - heavy and you can get the "suck to your feet" feeling with them. I've not been able to get that same feeling consistently with Indys, Thunders or Tensors.

(or probably because I'm a huge anal retentive baby)

Primitive/Ventures go very well together from the WB to the tail lengths. There is a reason for it.

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #8099 on: April 03, 2020, 05:15:18 AM »
Someone help me justify my madness. I've had 3 sets of venture 5.25 highs back to back over the last 2 years and currently skating 5.25 lows. I like the lows, but find myself wanting the slightest bit more carve and loose feel. I love the stability and response being lower height but the pull to thunder is strong. I already ordered 147s standards but feel dirty like I'm cheating on venture. I feel like its the best embodiment of what I like about the ventures being it is still very low but a bit more turn and carve. I haven't had thunders in 10 years.