Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232178 times)

BL0B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 414
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8250 on: April 13, 2020, 03:40:30 PM »
Does anyone know if Thunder makes Titanium lights in 151 (8.75" axle length)? I can't find them anywhere, only 149 and down.

no Thunder Titaniums above 149, which is stupid because that's where trucks start to get heavy.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8251 on: April 13, 2020, 03:52:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone know if Thunder makes Titanium lights in 151 (8.75" axle length)? I can't find them anywhere, only 149 and down.
[close]

no Thunder Titaniums above 149, which is stupid because that's where trucks start to get heavy.

I haven't seen thunder 147 titanium hollows for sale anywhere online either

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8252 on: April 13, 2020, 03:57:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
https://www.thundertrucks.com/fall-2019/
I think they do Ti 151's but they could be tough to find rn
Oops. Read the catalog wrong? They only do regular polished in 151?

giantbeardedone

• Rep: -2
« Reply #8253 on: April 13, 2020, 04:14:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

tell me about it. I ride big ass 8.75 decks because of my size 16 feet. I need me some light trucks. Indy forged titaniums are the lightest I can find at 8.75"

legion

« Reply #8254 on: April 13, 2020, 04:59:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

tell me about it. I ride big ass 8.75 decks because of my size 16 feet. I need me some light trucks. Indy forged titaniums are the lightest I can find at 8.75"
I think Venture cast 6.1 is kinda close in weight, height, axle offset.
Film 6.0 was another truck I was looking at but it might be a few mm narrower? 153mm hanger and 8.625" axle?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8255 on: April 13, 2020, 05:38:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

151 hollow lights are not far off from 149 titanimus in weight
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8256 on: April 13, 2020, 05:42:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
151 hollow lights are not far off from 149 titanimus in weight

im usually an advocate of titaniums but can confirm 151 hollow lights are quite light and i def wouldnt bother trying to look for titaniums in this case.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8257 on: April 13, 2020, 05:48:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But for many it's the point where people stop giving a shit....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8258 on: April 13, 2020, 05:57:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

At that size, I'd opt for hollows, Hollow-lite Thunders are really really light.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #8259 on: April 13, 2020, 06:47:21 PM »
Expand Quote
via Imgflip Meme Generator

I'm over bones after this set. I'm going through more than two top bushings a year. That's never been the case growing up this plastic shit is stupid.

Also who ever tooled this kingpin on drugs
[close]

I only have this problem with the black/yellow colored bones. if I get the white/yellow ones they never do that. but shop only had the black/yellow last time.

Is there a difference in black and white ones? I thought they were just aesthetic.

I have black/blue Bones Soft bushings in my trucks now and I'm thinking of switching to mediums. I love how the soft ones turn but I'm starting to think I would benefit with just a bit more stability. Is the difference marginal?

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #8260 on: April 13, 2020, 08:01:57 PM »
Can someone help me out on what’s wrong with that bones bushing? I can’t tell...I use the same ones and would like to know...

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #8261 on: April 13, 2020, 08:22:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So true.

giantbeardedone

• Rep: -2
« Reply #8262 on: April 13, 2020, 08:32:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

not for me. I got size 16 shoes I need a 8.75 minimum or it's like skating on a toothpick.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8263 on: April 13, 2020, 09:39:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I'm over bones after this set. I'm going through more than two top bushings a year. That's never been the case growing up this plastic shit is stupid.

[close]

I only have this problem with the black/yellow colored bones. if I get the white/yellow ones they never do that. but shop only had the black/yellow last time.
[close]

Is there a difference in black and white ones? I thought they were just aesthetic.

I have black/blue Bones Soft bushings in my trucks now and I'm thinking of switching to mediums. I love how the soft ones turn but I'm starting to think I would benefit with just a bit more stability. Is the difference marginal?

softs are 81a. mediums are 91a. the difference is pretty big.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8264 on: April 13, 2020, 10:48:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Are 5.0s too small for properly pinched crooked grinds?
I’m really just looking for excuses. I’ve never been good at those, and it really was THE trick, just couldn’t get em decent.
[close]

Felipe Gustavo seems to do them just fine with his 5.0 lows.
[close]

Felipe Gustavo ride Ventures? But you may mean he skate 5.0 Ventures, and the Aces are the same size? Im intresting in ACE but i wont buy any ACE that are smaller than 8 trucks, and what i know ACE dont have and 8 truck. They got the 44 wich will be big for 8 to 8.25. If they had A trucks size like 8.125 axle i would buy them. Now i got my Ventures 5.6 on Primitive board and feels great. Just need to adjust a bit, just started after the winter again and was a while since Ventures but they feel really good, exactly how i want them. And fits perfect on 8.125 board even its 8.25 truck.
[close]

huh?

As far as I remember the 33/03s are 8"

those are usually easier to find.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I does feel like the yellow top black is a little softer.its my first set of that color.

Also my first set of venture highs.

It matches the stock bottom so

Also I've found the 5.0 to be perfect for crooks. All low ventures are
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #8265 on: April 14, 2020, 04:16:44 AM »

This. Bought a set of softs to try and open up the turn on a set of Ventures. Assumed they'd be 88ish (like Indy soft or Ace), was not impressed with the resulting mush. Didn't make the turn better, but it did make them unstable as hell. Never thought I'd wheelbite Ventures just cruising. 

PeskOne

• Rep: 10
  • Skateboarding: Only drug worth the side effects.
« Reply #8266 on: April 14, 2020, 05:01:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m really just looking for excuses. I’ve never been good at those, and it really was THE trick, just couldn’t get em decent.
[close]

[close]

Felipe Gustavo ride Ventures? But you may mean he skate 5.0 Ventures, and the Aces are the same size? Im intresting in ACE but i wont buy any ACE that are smaller than 8 trucks, and what i know ACE dont have and 8 truck. They got the 44 wich will be big for 8 to 8.25. If they had A trucks size like 8.125 axle i would buy them. Now i got my Ventures 5.6 on Primitive board and feels great. Just need to adjust a bit, just started after the winter again and was a while since Ventures but they feel really good, exactly how i want them. And fits perfect on 8.125 board even its 8.25 truck.
[close]

huh?

Never seen that before, i seen sites say 44 works with like 8.0 to 8.5. How is 8 ace trucks? 44 way over my limit with truck hangover, and biggest i would skate is 8.25. But mostly 8-8125.
Skateboarding an addiction stronger than Heroin.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8267 on: April 14, 2020, 06:30:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

huh?

[close]

Never seen that before, i seen sites say 44 works with like 8.0 to 8.5. How is 8 ace trucks? 44 way over my limit with truck hangover, and biggest i would skate is 8.25. But mostly 8-8125.
You know how to swipe? On Ace IG they put that chart on pretty much every post showing trucks.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #8268 on: April 14, 2020, 09:01:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I know the durometer difference but I was more hoping that someone with experience with both could chime in. I don't quite have context for how different 81 vs 91 REALLY feels cuz up until this point I've mostly stuck with stock bushings. I like my  trucks pretty loose, but within reason.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8269 on: April 14, 2020, 10:15:56 AM »
Maybe I missed it but I don't see what's wrong with the black bones bushing?

From experience, I can tell you that the black variants feel softer and don't get as hard over time if you don't ride them.

Love me some bones softs for a day when new, after that they're just sooooo squashy unless you crank them down.

88a Indy conicals or the [new] ACE bushings are my favs.

Wonderful Whizzplank

• Rep: 8
« Reply #8270 on: April 14, 2020, 11:45:18 AM »
I come to you all in the truck thread seeking advice.

I've moved back on to some thunder 151s, that I was running bones in before, but I'd like to move to some cylinders for stability. What bushings would suit the thunders best? Thinking about some Indy barrels for simplicity.
Total newbie

legion

« Reply #8271 on: April 14, 2020, 02:37:58 PM »

I've moved back on to some thunder 151s, that I was running bones in before, but I'd like to move to some cylinders for stability. What bushings would suit the thunders best? Thinking about some Indy barrels for simplicity.
Yep. Indy barrels are probably the easiest to find. Deluxe/Supercush bushings are another option, sometimes they're listed as Thunder bushings but they're different than the conical bushings with the Thunder sticker.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #8272 on: April 14, 2020, 02:38:35 PM »
I would think thunders in thunder....or you need to stack a washer on.  A thunder bottom is a bit taller and you can't afford to drop your hanger any lower. 

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8273 on: April 14, 2020, 08:53:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I know the durometer difference but I was more hoping that someone with experience with both could chime in. I don't quite have context for how different 81 vs 91 REALLY feels cuz up until this point I've mostly stuck with stock bushings. I like my  trucks pretty loose, but within reason.

Currently rocking my bones mediums in my 5.2 lows right now and I weight about 170lb. Right now, they're turny yet stable. If I switch to softs, which I have done in the recent past, I'd bottom out uncontrollably with each slight lean without even trying.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8274 on: April 15, 2020, 05:10:11 AM »

ace bottoms with a shaved down stock top has been sooo good for my 151s. not as simple as just buying a set and throwing them in but it was well worth my 15 minutes tinkering around. coming off the stock conicals, i was able to set up for tricks without all the wobble and still have them loose enough to get that surfy turn that feels thunder like with a hint of ace.

there is a noticeable balance deadzone at first but it works perfectly once the bushings are broken in.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8275 on: April 15, 2020, 05:23:57 AM »

I've had all three duros at one time or another. Found them all to get progressively mushier over time, none have the normal firming up period that most bushings have. Softs become mostly useless (I'm only about 150lb's so I don't know where they'd be useful). Mediums were meh, no real benefit over stock or brand specific aftermarkets. They never blew out or cracked on me though. Used them on Indy's and Ventures. Ended up going back to stock or normal aftermarkets. YMMV.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8276 on: April 15, 2020, 05:42:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've had all three duros at one time or another. Found them all to get progressively mushier over time, none have the normal firming up period that most bushings have. Softs become mostly useless (I'm only about 150lb's so I don't know where they'd be useful). Mediums were meh, no real benefit over stock or brand specific aftermarkets. They never blew out or cracked on me though. Used them on Indy's and Ventures. Ended up going back to stock or normal aftermarkets. YMMV.
i always go hard with bones and let them mush out progressively to feel like mediums

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8277 on: April 15, 2020, 05:47:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i always go hard with bones and let them mush out progressively to feel like mediums

Still have a set of hards in my cruiser that have settled into feeling like a nice medium. I don't know if they're any better than a standard Indy bushing in reality, but they're not worse so I just left them in.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #8278 on: April 15, 2020, 06:14:13 AM »
both of my setups have hards in the back and softs in the front - im like 185 lbs
🤙

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #8279 on: April 15, 2020, 01:35:45 PM »
I can't decide if I like these thunders. I'm 4 sessions in on a pair of 147s and had one great session and 2 awful ones.  Yesterday it seemed like every time I did a tre flip it just immediately wheelbites on landing and I get tossed. Frontside flips have become impossible and were a breeze on venture lows. For whatever reason regular kickflips feel easier and my ollies are popped nice and high. I haven't been able to do kickflips this well in a half decade. I don't know if I need to just stick it out and give these another week but I just like having ventures on my board and how nostalgic it feels. Maybe going to a slightly bigger wheel has also had an effect. I'm having an identity crisis with my setup lol.