Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231168 times)

sneakpeekmeek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8340 on: April 19, 2020, 06:36:01 PM »
Can Thunder kingpins fit inside Venture base plates?

it should fit.

• Rep: 1
« Reply #8341 on: April 19, 2020, 07:28:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone have any experience with ventures on a 14.5 wb?
[close]

my 6.1s have been on an 8.38 full with a 14.5wb, a 8.625 with a 14.5 wheelbase, and an 8.75 with a 14.7wb full (listed as 14.7 but nearly 14.8), all with short 6.5-6.75" mellow tails (dlx & baker wood). they've been great on each. the 14.5wb boards have magical pop with smaller wheels (51mm zone) and the 14.7 gives the same with 54s (and now 53s). there's a tall squirrelly slightly unsettling feeling to the pop on the 14.5 boards with 54s, but it's all still very skate-able~ :)
[close]

How do you rate your 6.1s overall? I’ve been staring at them online for the last few days

really fun!!

Saint Coke

« Reply #8342 on: April 19, 2020, 09:23:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah it was fine, a little bit hefty to pop but good yield and made all my tricks feel pretty good. Bit more effort than on a 14.25 or something though but 14.5 is totally doable if you get used to that particular feeling.
Thank you

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8343 on: April 19, 2020, 11:18:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah it was fine, a little bit hefty to pop but good yield and made all my tricks feel pretty good. Bit more effort than on a 14.25 or something though but 14.5 is totally doable if you get used to that particular feeling.
[close]
Thank you

Np, I should add that I'm 6 5 and had just come down from skating wider wheelbase boards. I'm settled on 14.25-38 right now, which some people think is on the long end to pair with ventures on forged plates, perhaps if I went back up now I'd find it a bit more effort, but probably still totally manageable.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8344 on: April 20, 2020, 05:56:40 AM »
6’4” on 6.1 (standard plates tho) on a 14.5”

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8345 on: April 20, 2020, 06:22:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Thank you
[close]

Np, I should add that I'm 6 5 and had just come down from skating wider wheelbase boards. I'm settled on 14.25-38 right now, which some people think is on the long end to pair with ventures on forged plates, perhaps if I went back up now I'd find it a bit more effort, but probably still totally manageable.
how are your rotational tricks with the longer axle to axle wb? have contemplated venture ti but the fear of the board going around much slower and the fact i like short tails seems like it wouldnt work out for me
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #8346 on: April 20, 2020, 07:36:36 AM »
I put some ventures on a 14” WB real deck 8.06”

I had thunders on there before . When looking at the marks left from the thunders baseplates , you’d think the Wheelbase would be extended putting on the Ventures . But when measured from axel to axel it still was 17.25” for both trucks

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8347 on: April 20, 2020, 07:44:21 AM »
I put some ventures on a 14” WB real deck 8.06”

I had thunders on there before . When looking at the marks left from the thunders baseplates , you’d think the Wheelbase would be extended putting on the Ventures . But when measured from axel to axel it still was 17.25” for both trucks
thunder forged is the same as venture cast
venture forged pushes it out the most
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

FredGallsBallz

• Rep: -7
« Reply #8348 on: April 20, 2020, 08:24:01 AM »
If I'm coming from Thunders, will I have an easier switching to Indy or Venture?

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #8349 on: April 20, 2020, 08:49:57 AM »
If I'm coming from Thunders, will I have an easier switching to Indy or Venture?

I would decide based on why you want to switch and what boards you like. I enjoy ventures because they pop similar to thunder and have a baseplate that is out farther for tailslides. My buddy prefers indy for the carve on turns.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8350 on: April 20, 2020, 08:56:06 AM »
I can easily switch between venture and Indy. All 3 make decent trucks.
I used to ride ventures, but recommend Indy’s, as a more ‘middle ground, works for everyone’ truck.
Ventures are the way to go, if you need em looser take the top washer off/replace with a flat top washer. Easy.

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #8351 on: April 20, 2020, 09:12:03 AM »
Does anyone have the same issues with bushings popping out of the hanger (only back truck)? I guess it comes from repeatedly bashing the hanger on decked boardslide/rock 'n' roll.

I tried to sand down the bits/shards created and that keep on cutting the bushings. It kinda works and I'm able to put the bushings in place mid-sessions.

I'm used to borderline shitty set-ups and fucking around to make it work but I wouldn't mind fixing it once and for all

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8352 on: April 20, 2020, 01:45:23 PM »
Does anyone have the same issues with bushings popping out of the hanger (only back truck)? I guess it comes from repeatedly bashing the hanger on decked boardslide/rock 'n' roll.

I tried to sand down the bits/shards created and that keep on cutting the bushings. It kinda works and I'm able to put the bushings in place mid-sessions.

I'm used to borderline shitty set-ups and fucking around to make it work but I wouldn't mind fixing it once and for all

through a stock top washer on it buy some more time maybe
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8353 on: April 20, 2020, 01:52:10 PM »

I definitely DO NOT have that issue. I’d have to really skate, and not just flail a few switch flips and call it a day. Short of running a conical bushing upside down (which can’t work, right?) I dunno how you are gonna get a bushing to stay seated. Good luck

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #8354 on: April 20, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »

It's super easy to fix.

It just costs $45 do do so.

Buy some new trucks.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8355 on: April 20, 2020, 02:04:48 PM »
Anyone ever used shorty’s red pivot cups?

.. they were pennies but feel just plastic

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #8356 on: April 20, 2020, 03:26:42 PM »

Bottom washer might help as it might change the geometry of the truck slightly.

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #8357 on: April 20, 2020, 06:27:09 PM »

I would first replace your pivot cups and then install a new set of bushings with a cupped washer on top. Id go with your choice of indy barrel bushings or krux if you want 92a hardness. The krux pivot cup might also work but it could be a touch to large. Also if the top bushing seat on the hanger is deformed you can grind away a bit of the edge to fit a flat steel washer under the top bushing to create a stable seat but i would only try that if the newly installed parts were not jiving.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8358 on: April 20, 2020, 06:53:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would first replace your pivot cups and then install a new set of bushings with a cupped washer on top. Id go with your choice of indy barrel bushings or krux if you want 92a hardness. The krux pivot cup might also work but it could be a touch to large. Also if the top bushing seat on the hanger is deformed you can grind away a bit of the edge to fit a flat steel washer under the top bushing to create a stable seat but i would only try that if the newly installed parts were not jiving. the trucks.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #8359 on: April 20, 2020, 08:50:28 PM »
Anybody have experience with Thunders soft bushings? 90a

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #8360 on: April 21, 2020, 05:08:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys. I've already tried a couple of washers variations, top/bottom, stock/bones etc... Nothing really worked. I guess the edge bushing seat is just too worn-out to hold it from popping.
The thing is, it doesn't affect my skating at all. It just looks dumb. Might be the time to finally switch to Ace

TokyoBoyzClub

• Rep: -1
« Reply #8361 on: April 21, 2020, 05:24:03 AM »
It almost looks like you bashed int that outer circular part of your tucks so much that pocket where the bushing sits isn't really round anymore, making the bushing stick out. Might just be time for new trucks.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8362 on: April 21, 2020, 06:37:56 AM »
thunder stock bushings are 90a. i use the stock tops but dont care for the conical bottoms. harder to land on at the looseness i ride

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #8363 on: April 21, 2020, 08:26:06 AM »

Yes, I won't use anything else in Thunders.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8364 on: April 21, 2020, 08:53:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, I won't use anything else in Thunders.

The 90a is good for the winter, but they get incredibly loose in the hot spring/summer. I have to switch to 94a during the hotter season. They're a little sticky and don't center out very well.

Daniel

• Rep: 8
« Reply #8365 on: April 21, 2020, 01:36:23 PM »
Been riding ace barrel and thunder tops due to my stock bottoms busting. The rebound and turn is so smooth.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #8366 on: April 21, 2020, 03:15:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I would first replace your pivot cups and then install a new set of bushings with a cupped washer on top. Id go with your choice of indy barrel bushings or krux if you want 92a hardness. The krux pivot cup might also work but it could be a touch to large. Also if the top bushing seat on the hanger is deformed you can grind away a bit of the edge to fit a flat steel washer under the top bushing to create a stable seat but i would only try that if the newly installed parts were not jiving. the trucks.
[close]
It’s your hanger I’m pretty sure. In that last pic look at the inside hole where the bushing would sit (don’t know the official name of it), but it’s all misshapen and looks to be deformed to where it’s kinda sticking out, so that’s probably what’s been pushing your top bushing out.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8367 on: April 21, 2020, 03:44:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
It’s your hanger I’m pretty sure. In that last pic look at the inside hole where the bushing would sit (don’t know the official name of it), but it’s all misshapen and looks to be deformed to where it’s kinda sticking out, so that’s probably what’s been pushing your top bushing out.
Good eye. The yoke does look tweaked there, like it's been bashed too many times.
Is the part of the hanger/yoke where the top bushing touches completely flat? If it isn't that could be your problem.
Also take a peek at your pivot cup. It could be blown out.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8368 on: April 21, 2020, 05:02:14 PM »
Tried Thunders today, I didn't get that special feeling that I'm hoping to get with ventures.
I was struggling a lot with my nollie heels
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Juanjo789

« Reply #8369 on: April 21, 2020, 09:28:57 PM »
biggest wheel for a regular thunder 151