Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232033 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8370 on: April 21, 2020, 09:41:37 PM »
biggest wheel for a regular thunder 151
56mm if you're feeling lucky
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Juanjo789

« Reply #8371 on: April 21, 2020, 09:47:45 PM »
is there a difference between removing the top or the bottom washer?

texasplant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #8372 on: April 22, 2020, 12:59:29 AM »
is there a difference between removing the top or the bottom washer?

Removing the bottom will adjust the geometry of the truck slightly, whereas the top basically frees up the top bushing and gives you more room for your nut.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8373 on: April 22, 2020, 04:21:48 AM »
biggest wheel for a regular thunder 151
oh I’ll play

Biggest wheel for venture 6.1

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #8374 on: April 22, 2020, 08:17:22 AM »
Expand Quote
I put some ventures on a 14” WB real deck 8.06”

I had thunders on there before . When looking at the marks left from the thunders baseplates , you’d think the Wheelbase would be extended putting on the Ventures . But when measured from axel to axel it still was 17.25” for both trucks
[close]
thunder forged is the same as venture cast
venture forged pushes it out the most

Sorry I didn’t clarify, I went from Thunder Lights 147 which I believe is forged baseplate correct? And I changed into Venture 5.2 Lights (which is also forged baseplate correct?) confused on why the wheelbase stayed the same

PeskOne

• Rep: 10
  • Skateboarding: Only drug worth the side effects.
« Reply #8375 on: April 23, 2020, 04:28:06 AM »
Will going to 49mm-50mm wheels help with ghost popping? I went from Indies and now I'm ghost popping a lot on my Ventures, but they feel great when I'm not ghost popping. I think I have max 53 wheels now, got the red spitfire lock-ins wich are awsome.
Skateboarding an addiction stronger than Heroin.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 466
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8376 on: April 23, 2020, 05:05:43 AM »
Will going to 49mm-50mm wheels help with ghost popping? I went from Indies and now I'm ghost popping a lot on my Ventures, but they feel great when I'm not ghost popping. I think I have max 53 wheels now, got the red spitfire lock-ins wich are awsome.
Theoretically getting the board closer to the ground can help you, so a smaller wheel may fix the issue. How long have you been riding this particular setup? Did you give yourself time to get used to it?
Muscle memory is a bitch sometimes and now again it can make us a little lazy in terms of pop. Focus on banging the tail and it won’t take long to get used to.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8377 on: April 23, 2020, 05:14:51 AM »

As someone that likes to switch things about, I hear you.
And I’ve got some upcoming sessions (hopefully) that are going to SUCK, because I haven’t been skating.
Yeah, smaller wheels maybe, might would help.
But.....just being on your board more, getting acclimated, that’ll solve all of this.
 Creating more variables (by constantly changing your setup) when the act of skateboarding is already so full of them, can only make things more difficult.
If I remember correctly you said you hadn’t been skating for quite some time, gained a bunch of weight, recently came back to the game. Rad! Welcome back! Give yourself a break with the setup.
Switching your board around can be fun, and a distraction from the rest of life, but the results are definitely shit like ghost pops, and attempts at tricks that make it look like you’ve never skated, and then the rare sweet spot, popped, perfect whatever.

Or just buy the wheels I’m sure you’ll be better than ever.

-a guy that is contemplating buying 3 DIFFERENT sizes of ventures, simultaneously

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8378 on: April 23, 2020, 05:15:35 AM »
Mr. Skidder said it better

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8379 on: April 23, 2020, 08:31:19 AM »
Tried Thunders today, I didn't get that special feeling that I'm hoping to get with ventures.
I was struggling a lot with my nollie heels

me too but the opposite. I switched to venture and was struggling with nollie flip switch flip. I mean I struggle still but its normal again.

This is what I do. I do a nollie then I do a nollie flip. I do a sw Ollie then I do a switch flip.

This is how I get my flip tricks back regardless of stance. I also get used to new gear.

I am on a quest to switch Tre at a two push speed and film it before my 42nd birthday. Will likely be on ace 44s. The board spins 360 much faster on the ace.
Though my regs Tre looks way better on the 5.6
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8380 on: April 23, 2020, 09:21:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Tried Thunders today, I didn't get that special feeling that I'm hoping to get with ventures.
I was struggling a lot with my nollie heels
[close]

me too but the opposite. I switched to venture and was struggling with nollie flip switch flip. I mean I struggle still but its normal again.

This is what I do. I do a nollie then I do a nollie flip. I do a sw Ollie then I do a switch flip.

This is how I get my flip tricks back regardless of stance. I also get used to new gear.

I am on a quest to switch Tre at a two push speed and film it before my 42nd birthday. Will likely be on ace 44s. The board spins 360 much faster on the ace.
Though my regs Tre looks way better on the 5.6

I’m almost 42. Similar goal. Love the feeling of aces but can’t 360 flip for shit with em.
I’m sure I only did the tre-athalon a few times, but in my mind that’s a reasonable goal. My body assured that it is not.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8381 on: April 23, 2020, 10:56:37 AM »

Can't wait to get rid of that damn red baseplate.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #8382 on: April 23, 2020, 12:27:24 PM »

Highs? Lows?

I'm getting used to my thunder 147s. Hopefully I can get some more sessions in when my foot heals up. I think I realized I just like low trucks in general even though I swore off them for the longest.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 12:29:28 PM by skatefresh »

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #8383 on: April 23, 2020, 01:13:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone have the same issues with bushings popping out of the hanger (only back truck)? I guess it comes from repeatedly bashing the hanger on decked boardslide/rock 'n' roll.

I tried to sand down the bits/shards created and that keep on cutting the bushings. It kinda works and I'm able to put the bushings in place mid-sessions.

I'm used to borderline shitty set-ups and fucking around to make it work but I wouldn't mind fixing it once and for all
[close]

I would first replace your pivot cups and then install a new set of bushings with a cupped washer on top. Id go with your choice of indy barrel bushings or krux if you want 92a hardness. The krux pivot cup might also work but it could be a touch to large. Also if the top bushing seat on the hanger is deformed you can grind away a bit of the edge to fit a flat steel washer under the top bushing to create a stable seat but i would only try that if the newly installed parts were not jiving. the trucks.
[close]
[close]
It’s your hanger I’m pretty sure. In that last pic look at the inside hole where the bushing would sit (don’t know the official name of it), but it’s all misshapen and looks to be deformed to where it’s kinda sticking out, so that’s probably what’s been pushing your top bushing out.
[close]
Good eye. The yoke does look tweaked there, like it's been bashed too many times.
Is the part of the hanger/yoke where the top bushing touches completely flat? If it isn't that could be your problem.
Also take a peek at your pivot cup. It could be blown out.

Quick update on this, thanks for the feedback. The pivot cup was blown-out but I didn't have one on hand. So at this point, I just switched the front and back hangers... And for now, it seems to work with good hanger/blown-out on the back and beat-up hanger/good pivot cup on the front. I can skate it like that but I will check if I can safely pick-up a new pair at the shop

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #8384 on: April 23, 2020, 01:54:50 PM »
Can I get some advice on trucks? I have a 8.5 egg shaped board and have never ridden anything but a 8.125 for like a decade so I don’t know what wheels and trucks would be appropriate. Ace 44s seems to get a lot of love here, but I’m reading that they’re heavy? I’m pretty much only going to skate flat ground, ledges and manual pads so do you think that’ll be an issue. For wheels I was going to get like 51 or 50 mm spitfire f4s

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8385 on: April 23, 2020, 01:55:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Highs? Lows?

I'm getting used to my thunder 147s. Hopefully I can get some more sessions in when my foot heals up. I think I realized I just like low trucks in general even though I swore off them for the longest.
Highs, I can't mess with low trucks.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

sketchyrider

« Reply #8386 on: April 23, 2020, 02:44:54 PM »

small wheels can definitely help. i think the list of things that can help reduce ghost pop in no order are:

Shorter deck/trucks wheelbase
Longer tail/nose
Mellow kicks
Lower trucks
Smaller wheels
Lighter trucks/wheels/setup

worth mentioning a larger/wider setup is gonna be more prone to ghost pop due to weight alone.

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #8387 on: April 23, 2020, 07:14:41 PM »
Its that simple

sketchyrider

« Reply #8388 on: April 24, 2020, 10:16:08 AM »
impressive that he managed to drag that out into three minutes of content tbh

Festivus

• Rep: 12
  • For the rest of us
« Reply #8389 on: April 25, 2020, 04:49:00 AM »
Anyone know if forged baseplates are easy to drill through? I want to shorten my wheelbase like Koston did on his ventures

This is what i plan on using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T2VJ93C/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004YMEL/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Not really sure if the cheap drill will get the job done or not, but i'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #8390 on: April 25, 2020, 07:12:13 AM »
How is putting holes in your baseplates going to change the wheelbase? Honestly, why wouldn’t you just red till the drill the deck?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #8391 on: April 25, 2020, 07:17:14 AM »
How is putting holes in your baseplates going to change the wheelbase? Honestly, why wouldn’t you just red till the drill the deck?
I have a feeling Koston was given special trucks I don’t see him redrilling his baseplate.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #8392 on: April 25, 2020, 07:20:44 AM »

You create an 8 hole baseplate and you can move each truck toward the center of the deck 1/4".  I'm assuming koston skates 50 decks per pair of trucks so its a one time drilling of trucks vs drilling 50 decks.

I'm sure he just had someone else do the work or even asked venture to do it for him

Caliber trucks do the same thing stock

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #8393 on: April 25, 2020, 07:29:45 AM »
For some reason I thought he stopped at 6 and my brain didn’t connect that there could be 2 extra holes in the front. Carry on.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #8394 on: April 25, 2020, 08:23:38 AM »
Anyone know if forged baseplates are easy to drill through? I want to shorten my wheelbase like Koston did on his ventures

This is what i plan on using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T2VJ93C/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004YMEL/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Not really sure if the cheap drill will get the job done or not, but i'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible.

Aluminum is fairly easy to drill through, forged or cast. The bigger issue is doing it with a hand drill. The likelihood of skewing one of eight holes is high. If you don't have access to a drill press, use a center punch, drill a pilot hole, and go slow.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8395 on: April 25, 2020, 08:53:12 AM »
That drill bit is not for metal. I don't know what size you need but make sure the bit you buy is for metal drilling.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-1-4-in-x-6-in-Titanium-Twist-Drill-Bit/50413724

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8396 on: April 26, 2020, 03:47:15 PM »
Does anyone have experience with bushings bulging as a result of tightening down and not using cup washers?

I put a set of ace bushings (standard bottom, low top) in some ventures with flat washers on top and bottom. But the washers are actually a hair smaller in diameter than the bushings. That combined with the fact that I had to crank them down a little more than usually because they feel softer than stock bushings is making me a bit concerned about the bushings bulging out around the washer after a bit of use.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #8397 on: April 27, 2020, 05:49:10 AM »
Does anyone have experience with bushings bulging as a result of tightening down and not using cup washers?

I put a set of ace bushings (standard bottom, low top) in some ventures with flat washers on top and bottom. But the washers are actually a hair smaller in diameter than the bushings. That combined with the fact that I had to crank them down a little more than usually because they feel softer than stock bushings is making me a bit concerned about the bushings bulging out around the washer after a bit of use.
I would just put the stock back on with the regular bottom washer and flat top washer unless they are blown out.

Poochie

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8398 on: April 28, 2020, 01:07:54 AM »
Really contemplating some ventures after seeing the love on here (and fully falling for their marketing, Bobby part and addition of Josh Paul haha) but just feel hesitant taking the plunge. I recently sized down from 8.25 to 8/8.06 but kept my ace 44's as they have plenty of life left in them but really want trucks that fit my board. 33's just seem so small after years of 44's though. Has anyone tried the switch from ace to venture? I was thinking of the 5.2's. Any help is appreciated!

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8399 on: April 28, 2020, 01:34:03 AM »
Really contemplating some ventures after seeing the love on here (and fully falling for their marketing, Bobby part and addition of Josh Paul haha) but just feel hesitant taking the plunge. I recently sized down from 8.25 to 8/8.06 but kept my ace 44's as they have plenty of life left in them but really want trucks that fit my board. 33's just seem so small after years of 44's though. Has anyone tried the switch from ace to venture? I was thinking of the 5.2's. Any help is appreciated!

44s aren’t too bad on 8-8.06, could be argued that fits just fine.
33s and 5.2....33s might ride a bit smaller, bringing the axle to axle wb in.
When I was younger, and better, I’d switch between venture and Indy with no problems.
ACE are different, I like em. I can get my loose ventures to turn really well, but they certainly don’t feel like ACE.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 02:52:40 AM by Ok »