Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231583 times)

Vintagebody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 81
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8400 on: April 28, 2020, 02:05:58 AM »
So I got these new medium (95A) Thunder bushings, and they seem to be insanly effected by temperature...
Anyone got experience by this? They will literally become alot stiffer during a session.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #8401 on: April 28, 2020, 05:07:32 AM »
So I got these new medium (95A) Thunder bushings, and they seem to be insanly effected by temperature...
Anyone got experience by this? They will literally become alot stiffer during a session.

I've had that with the thunder standard blue translucent ones. They became unridable for me at temps that my buddies krux and indies was totally fine.

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #8402 on: April 28, 2020, 08:52:34 AM »
boners in your thunders

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8403 on: April 28, 2020, 03:04:00 PM »
Really contemplating some ventures after seeing the love on here (and fully falling for their marketing, Bobby part and addition of Josh Paul haha) but just feel hesitant taking the plunge. I recently sized down from 8.25 to 8/8.06 but kept my ace 44's as they have plenty of life left in them but really want trucks that fit my board. 33's just seem so small after years of 44's though. Has anyone tried the switch from ace to venture? I was thinking of the 5.2's. Any help is appreciated!

I switched. 44 to 5.6 I moved down from 8.5 to 8.25.

It was kinda rough at first. Now my truck is broken in I can't tell the difference until I step back on aces.

These are my favorite trucks it seems around this size.

I would recommend that you use a Bones med top w/o a washer for a few sessions before trying to break in the stock top. Especially if you was riding loose aces.

It's like a half inch wb change and it's fun fighting your way through the change.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #8404 on: April 28, 2020, 05:32:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Really contemplating some ventures after seeing the love on here (and fully falling for their marketing, Bobby part and addition of Josh Paul haha) but just feel hesitant taking the plunge. I recently sized down from 8.25 to 8/8.06 but kept my ace 44's as they have plenty of life left in them but really want trucks that fit my board. 33's just seem so small after years of 44's though. Has anyone tried the switch from ace to venture? I was thinking of the 5.2's. Any help is appreciated!
[close]

It was kinda rough at first. Now my truck is broken in I can't tell the difference until I step back on aces.

I would recommend that you use a Bones med top w/o a washer for a few sessions before trying to break in the stock top. Especially if you was riding loose aces.

It's like a half inch wb change and it's fun fighting your way through the change.

I irrationally setup 2 xmas completes, save for one old set of swiss 6, and have findings to share...

First  setup was a WKND 8.5 on 6.1's and blah blah blah.  I love the 6.1's!  Turning doesn't FEEL like Ace's, but is totally fine.  I've actually tightened them a hair since breaking them in because I'm a poosey.

I'm still breaking in the hangers with grind, and I totally feel the comments about them feeling rough on concrete.  I haven't been able to hit skatepark coping/angle iron with them, but I think it will be WAY easier and also help getting them worn in.

Next setup was an 8.25 Quasi w/ 5.6's.  I wish I would have gotten the 5.8's...  The 1/8" clearance between wheels and rails feels less stable to me.  I've ridden 8.25 decks on 8.5 trucks with good results.

The madness twist?

Running conicals on my 8.5 setups and classics on the 8.25.  I hate myself...

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8405 on: April 28, 2020, 07:13:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I irrationally setup 2 xmas completes, save for one old set of swiss 6, and have findings to share...

First  setup was a WKND 8.5 on 6.1's and blah blah blah.  I love the 6.1's!  Turning doesn't FEEL like Ace's, but is totally fine.  I've actually tightened them a hair since breaking them in because I'm a poosey.

I'm still breaking in the hangers with grind, and I totally feel the comments about them feeling rough on concrete.  I haven't been able to hit skatepark coping/angle iron with them, but I think it will be WAY easier and also help getting them worn in.

Next setup was an 8.25 Quasi w/ 5.6's.  I wish I would have gotten the 5.8's...  The 1/8" clearance between wheels and rails feels less stable to me.  I've ridden 8.25 decks on 8.5 trucks with good results.

The madness twist?

same. I prefer the 101a classic now it's down to like 54 53
 over the both sets of conical full 99s. I like round edges I guess
(A)pl(E)

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8406 on: April 28, 2020, 07:38:30 PM »
I rode Aces for about a year. Mainly on 55's with a little bit of time spent on 44s. I've been skating Ventures since December, 5.8 and 6.1.  I did shorten up my wheelbase from 14.5 to 14.25.

I have stock bushings with flat top washers on both, kingpin nut basically flush. My bushings are nice and broken in by now and they both feel very nice. As mentioned, they don't feel like Ace but I don't feel like I've lost anything at all. I can lean into it and hit a nice sharp turn.

The 5.8 on an 8.25 DOA board feels very comfortable. Great all-around set-up.  My 6.1 are on a mellow, egg shaped deck with a sub 14 wb and it feels GREAT. It's all I want to ride right now.

I just got another set of 5.8 recently and I'm going to break them in totally stock.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8407 on: April 28, 2020, 08:08:43 PM »
I rode Aces for about a year. Mainly on 55's with a little bit of time spent on 44s. I've been skating Ventures since December, 5.8 and 6.1.  I did shorten up my wheelbase from 14.5 to 14.25.

I have stock bushings with flat top washers on both, kingpin nut basically flush. My bushings are nice and broken in by now and they both feel very nice. As mentioned, they don't feel like Ace but I don't feel like I've lost anything at all. I can lean into it and hit a nice sharp turn.

The 5.8 on an 8.25 DOA board feels very comfortable. Great all-around set-up.  My 6.1 are on a mellow, egg shaped deck with a sub 14 wb and it feels GREAT. It's all I want to ride right now.

I just got another set of 5.8 recently and I'm going to break them in totally stock.

Sub 14” wb you say?

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #8408 on: April 28, 2020, 08:31:25 PM »

Spent much time skating transition with em?

chris.

« Reply #8409 on: April 28, 2020, 08:48:32 PM »
Not much time on transition unfortunately.

And the short deck is a TFunk deck with a 13.875 WB. I have seriously never popped better feeling ollies in my life than on that set-up.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #8410 on: April 29, 2020, 12:12:45 AM »

And the short deck is a TFunk deck with a 13.875 WB. I have seriously never popped better feeling ollies in my life than on that set-up.

Tell me tell me

What baker t funk size or series is it?
yes

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #8411 on: April 29, 2020, 01:20:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sub 14” wb you say?
The girl 9.2 egg thing is like a 13.8” wb.

chris.

« Reply #8412 on: April 29, 2020, 03:57:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tell me tell me

What baker t funk size or series is it?

From the Mindbend series from 2019. I’ve seen similarly shaped TFunk decks since then but the dimensions were always a little bigger all the way around. 

The 9.2 Girl shape is on my radar if I want to skate something similar.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8413 on: April 29, 2020, 07:46:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Sub 14” wb you say?
[close]
The girl 9.2 egg thing is like a 13.8” wb.

Sounds like it spins and flips like a dream.

I bet I can Merl allin twist both ways on it if I had some like buttered tablets size wheels and some oldish thunders with the meaty Hangers   

(A)pl(E)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8414 on: April 29, 2020, 11:50:41 AM »
anyone have mini logo bushings to compare to the height of ace bottoms?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #8415 on: April 29, 2020, 12:02:59 PM »

Both measure .53" with calipers.

EDIT:
Mini Logo (Soft Green) : .53"
Ace (white out of a 66) : .53"
Thunder (red 90a aftermarket) : .55"
Indy (blue 92a conical) : .545"
Bones (black hard) : .55"

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:34:27 PM by backinaction »

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8416 on: April 29, 2020, 12:56:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Both measure .53" with calipers.

EDIT:
Mini Logo (Soft Green) : .53"
Ace (white out of a 66) : .53"
Thunder (red 90a aftermarket) : .55"
Indy (blue 92a conical) : .545"
Bones (black hard) : .55"
i owe you a gnarly. trying to find a bottom barrel bushing thats ace height, will go ML and see how they compare
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #8417 on: April 29, 2020, 03:09:42 PM »
i owe you a gnarly. trying to find a bottom barrel bushing thats ace height, will go ML and see how they compare

I am running a Mini Logo medium in my Ace 66s.  The stock bushing kept popping over the washer before I even left the garage.

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #8418 on: April 29, 2020, 09:00:50 PM »
Though I would ask here, since normally you guys would be in the know! Any one got a line on some Indy titanium for a 8.5? I have checked every single online skate shop in Oregon and I can’t find anything! Was planing to size up from my normal 139 on a 8.125 but looks like that’s not going to happen for a while.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8419 on: April 29, 2020, 09:59:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I am running a Mini Logo medium in my Ace 66s.  The stock bushing kept popping over the washer before I even left the garage.
how long does it take to break in? i love the ace bottoms im running but i like it if they were a bit harder/not go to mush as quick

Poochie

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8420 on: April 30, 2020, 01:01:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The madness twist?

[close]

Thanks for all the help guys appreciate! I'm lucky that I work at a skate shop so could order a pair from the distributor where I live and the price isn't crazy. Really looking forward to trying them. Went for the 5.2s as I don't skate anything bigger than 8.125.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #8421 on: April 30, 2020, 09:16:01 AM »
How much pain will it be to go back to ace 44 after riding 149ti for the past 4 months? Always on an 8.25s.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8422 on: April 30, 2020, 09:36:29 AM »

Best ollie means most fun

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8423 on: April 30, 2020, 10:01:52 AM »
How much pain will it be to go back to ace 44 after riding 149ti for the past 4 months? Always on an 8.25s.

I go from standard 149s to 44s fairly frequently and it feels pretty effortless.

I know the ti give a little longer WB than standard, but height-wise they're a little closer to Aces due to the forged plates. That being said, I never really notice the height difference...the big change is how much faster the board rotates on Aces, but I can get used to it in a session or so.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 10:03:41 AM by FrozenIndustries »

Diocletian

« Reply #8424 on: April 30, 2020, 10:02:59 AM »

Painless until the baseplate breaks or axle bends and you're far away from home

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8425 on: April 30, 2020, 10:47:04 AM »
Thanks I think the faster rotation is what I’m looking for but was worried about the extra weight restricting my pop - I need all the help I can get

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8426 on: May 01, 2020, 09:48:34 AM »

I'm believe that once you've mastered a truck it's always going to be in arsenal.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 01:55:12 PM by Banned from the room »
(A)pl(E)

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8427 on: May 01, 2020, 11:40:01 AM »

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8428 on: May 01, 2020, 01:40:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm believe that once you've mastered a truck it's always going to in arsenal.

Going back to ace was like riding a bike. I still think indys are more surfy with the smoother turn

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #8429 on: May 01, 2020, 02:13:07 PM »
i knew Spencer got on Indy, but when was that?  he was repping Venture pretty hard a few months ago