Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231938 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8430 on: May 01, 2020, 05:16:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How much pain will it be to go back to ace 44 after riding 149ti for the past 4 months? Always on an 8.25s.
[close]

I'm believe that once you've mastered a truck it's always going to in arsenal.
[close]

Going back to ace was like riding a bike. I still think indys are more surfy with the smoother turn

I like the way I can slash on the ace. Especially in a corner pocket. Whip a sharp fast carve on the tiles.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #8431 on: May 01, 2020, 05:38:04 PM »
As a truck nerd and a someone who surfs a lot, I am really curious about what people think they mean when they say a truck is 'surfy?'

schralp pal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #8432 on: May 01, 2020, 05:49:18 PM »
As a truck nerd and a someone who surfs a lot, I am really curious about what people think they mean when they say a truck is 'surfy?'

I surf better than most and I skate a lot too, so for me Indy has a smooth carve that allows you to make some
Nice s-turns and gain speed like a long drawn out bottom turn, whereas ace turns as if you are dropping into the wave only so you can make a fast arc off the bottom to do a more vertical turn off the top. Probably all in my head.

So when I say surfy I mean smooth s-turns.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8433 on: May 01, 2020, 05:50:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I surf better than most and I skate a lot too, so for me Indy has a smooth carve that allows you to make some
Nice s-turns and gain speed like a long drawn out bottom turn, whereas ace turns as if you are dropping into the wave only so you can make a fast arc off the bottom to do a more vertical turn off the top. Probably all in my head.

That was a good description.
(A)pl(E)

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #8434 on: May 01, 2020, 06:31:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like pondering the connection. I suppose you could relate trucks to fin configurations and how a single fin vs thruster vs twin fin or quad fin influence drive and response.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #8435 on: May 01, 2020, 06:45:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I like pondering the connection. I suppose you could relate trucks to fin configurations and how a single fin vs thruster vs twin fin or quad fin influence drive and response.

And thunders are like an ultra performance low volume Shortboard that allows you to put your board any where on the wave as long as you have the skill to get it there - haha

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #8436 on: May 01, 2020, 06:59:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is accurate as fuck and thank you for articulating it because I could never quite put it into words. When I skate Indys I feel like my carves are forced to be smooth turns that start from the bottom of the transition and require thinking ahead while sticking to a line. Whereas the Aces feel much more forgiving since as you said, you can make a nice snappy turn off the top, it's probably why i find bowls with vert easier on Aces

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #8437 on: May 01, 2020, 08:41:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

THIS. I’ve never surfed but this description sums up how I feel when I skate with indys and try to describe it to people. Stable, flows, but responsive.
Super Champion Fun Zone

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #8438 on: May 01, 2020, 09:08:30 PM »
I go back and forth between 149 Indy standards and hollows. I usually try to keep the height of 55m at all times.
I’ll occasionally swap baseplates around to achieve this and rotate a couple sets to break them in easier.
Bushings are either 90 mediums or a combo of 90 on bottom with a 78 super soft on top. Top and bottom washers also.

Right now: Indy 149 hollow axle and kingpin, but with a standard baseplate. Top and bottom washers with 90 bottom cylinder bushings and 78 top bushings.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 10:57:41 AM by DarkPools »
Super Champion Fun Zone

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #8439 on: May 01, 2020, 09:39:36 PM »
For someone who mostly goes between Ace and Thunder I have to say I'm really enjoying Indy's right now. I've been skating some Stage 8 146s and Stage 11 159s. Both with Made in USA stamps, both with 88a aftermarkets.... Still waiting for an Ace between 44 and 55... its going to be a long one, I fear...

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8440 on: May 02, 2020, 07:50:23 AM »
For someone who mostly goes between Ace and Thunder I have to say I'm really enjoying Indy's right now. I've been skating some Stage 8 146s and Stage 11 159s. Both with Made in USA stamps, both with 88a aftermarkets.... Still waiting for an Ace between 44 and 55... its going to be a long one, I fear...

Are the stage 8 the old 52mm height? As mentioned I oscillate between Indy and Ace, but I've been very into the mid height of the Aces lately.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #8441 on: May 02, 2020, 08:53:52 AM »
They could be. They are a little bit lower than Stage 11s from what I can tell by eyeballing. Closer to an Ace height.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8442 on: May 02, 2020, 09:35:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are the stage 8 the old 52mm height? As mentioned I oscillate between Indy and Ace, but I've been very into the mid height of the Aces lately.

I get that there is NO market for this, buuuuuuuut it’d be so sick if Indy had not burned their bridges to the ground with ermico, and had some ‘foundry select’ esque program where they re issued old trucks, made in the usa. I mean fuck, a stage 8 would be rad to buy, and not from some collector that is selling it for the lo $237.65 on eBay.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8443 on: May 02, 2020, 09:45:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I get that there is NO market for this, buuuuuuuut it’d be so sick if Indy had not burned their bridges to the ground with ermico, and had some ‘foundry select’ esque program where they re issued old trucks, made in the usa. I mean fuck, a stage 8 would be rad to buy, and not from some collector that is selling it for the lo $237.65 on eBay.

It would be very sick. Especially with their current aftermarket bushings.

I am feeling pretty committed to Ace ATM, I just hope the next stage is the same height.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8444 on: May 02, 2020, 09:57:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It would be very sick. Especially with their current aftermarket bushings.

I am feeling pretty committed to Ace ATM, I just hope the next stage is the same height.

ACE are really dope, maybe I should try 33s again. 44s and my weak weak legs have never really gotten along, just a real struggle.
I’ve also noticed that my ‘pop’ is significantly better if I use these 56s I have, when I was trying them with my 51s I was ground bound.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8445 on: May 02, 2020, 05:24:25 PM »
would you guys go venture or thunder for a real with a 14.00 wb?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8446 on: May 02, 2020, 05:40:19 PM »
depends on what thunders really. thunder ti add almost 3.4 to the wb which is the same as venture forged. I've been riding thunder forged on all my setups and havent had any issues id blame the trucks for
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8447 on: May 02, 2020, 06:00:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
depends on what thunders really. thunder ti add almost 3.4 to the wb which is the same as venture forged. I've been riding thunder forged on all my setups and havent had any issues id blame the trucks for
147 hi thunder ti hanger/team baseplates, vs 5.25 hi forged venture hollows

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8448 on: May 02, 2020, 07:31:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
im biased but then again i never tried venture forged. personally i would take the thunders but as far as i know, you cant go wrong with either
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8449 on: May 02, 2020, 08:34:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

What's the ground like where you skate? I got to ride a big wheel being outside the city. I've found that I can't ride a wheel bigger that 53 with a loose thunder unless i have a riser
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8450 on: May 02, 2020, 08:35:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

What's the ground like where you skate? I got to ride a big wheel being outside the city. I've found that I can't ride a wheel bigger that 53 with a loose thunder unless i have a riser

Excellent point.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8451 on: May 02, 2020, 08:42:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Excellent point.
easily. need these 53 conical fulls to wear down already. got really good pop on 50mm radial slims

plus no wheelbite

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #8452 on: May 03, 2020, 02:28:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Stage 8's are right around 53mm tall. And the wheelbase sits right in between Stage 11's and Ace. If I can find the pics I have comparing Stage 8 and 11's I'll upload them.

smellsdead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1243
« Reply #8453 on: May 03, 2020, 06:51:09 AM »
figured id drop this here and see if anyone has had this happen to them

was tinkering with some (used maybe once?) thunders i got - 149ti
been riding indys for a hot minute but a tasty classified has me swimming in trucks at the moment.
i wasnt satisfied with the amount of wheelbite i was catching on these, so i put 1/8" risers on, didnt work, put bones hard in. still mushy turns and wheels hitting deck(53mm classic f4s). so i go to spin my bushings around and in the process of loosening the front truck, the nut jumped a thread or something and it got so fucking hard to spin a wrench on it. it re-threaded the kingpin rendering it useless. crazy right?
i emailed thunder and of course they got back to me within 15 minutes saying theyll send new ones when they can. classic dlxsf customer service.

i really didnt jive with the mushed turns but i hardly got a chance to fuck around with them.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 06:56:14 AM by smellsdead »

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #8454 on: May 03, 2020, 07:15:32 AM »
Yup, you (or someone) cross-threaded the nut when it was put on the first time. When you went to loosen it, the kingpin stripped.

As a temp fix, you might be able to tighten it back with a LOT of force, but it will just strip the kingpin even more.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #8455 on: May 03, 2020, 10:12:07 AM »
That's why I hate messing with trucks once I've got them dialed. All my trucks currently have the kingpin nut grinded into the kingpin. If I changed bushings I might not be able to get the nut back on and then if I did it would never line up right.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #8456 on: May 03, 2020, 12:56:35 PM »
Never happened to me.

I switched back to Thunder and was surprised how good the turning was once I broke the bushings in.

Someone also said on here that the bushings should be left stock tightness for a little while and I have to agree.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8457 on: May 03, 2020, 01:57:07 PM »
could do this.

Take a nut that's thread is true put it on upside down and it will definitely get a metal on metal connection with that amount of thread.

Maybe little extra nylon lock stuff from the store. Hit it with a grinder if it hangs up.

It will be loose so I would use it as my front truck. The truck would definitely last me the duration.

I hate the mail
(A)pl(E)

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #8458 on: May 03, 2020, 02:55:14 PM »
figured id drop this here and see if anyone has had this happen to them

was tinkering with some (used maybe once?) thunders i got - 149ti
been riding indys for a hot minute but a tasty classified has me swimming in trucks at the moment.
i wasnt satisfied with the amount of wheelbite i was catching on these, so i put 1/8" risers on, didnt work, put bones hard in. still mushy turns and wheels hitting deck(53mm classic f4s). so i go to spin my bushings around and in the process of loosening the front truck, the nut jumped a thread or something and it got so fucking hard to spin a wrench on it. it re-threaded the kingpin rendering it useless. crazy right?
i emailed thunder and of course they got back to me within 15 minutes saying theyll send new ones when they can. classic dlxsf customer service.

i really didnt jive with the mushed turns but i hardly got a chance to fuck around with them.

had the same thing happen to a brand new set of hollow kingpin thunders. happened when i removed the nut from the factory.

lysdexia

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8459 on: May 03, 2020, 07:03:26 PM »
that's pretty chewed up, but i think a 3/8" UNF die nut would probably repair that easily enough