Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231090 times)

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8970 on: August 31, 2020, 06:05:06 PM »
currently running one of my favourite truck setups for this particular board (8.5 w/ 14.5WB, steep kicks and concave)

- Ace 44's with really worn in top and bottom washers to maximize looseness (used to skate tight trucks as a kid so the top washer has an indent for the kingpin nut)
- reds
- OJ mini combos which shrunk down to 51

having wide but small wheels on a fat steep deck feels extremely responsive, definitely upped my wall tricks and can still pop tres with the long wheelbase cuz of the steepness and the ace trucks shortening wheelbase and making the pop a little bit quicker

otherwise solid for me

What’s the deck? Always in the market for steep kicks/concave

burm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #8971 on: September 01, 2020, 09:18:33 AM »
I need help. I recently stepped up to a wider board (8.5) so I took some old 149 Indys (prolly stage10) from my cruiser. I had previously put in black hard bones bushings in these ones and now I can’t turn at all with them (nut flush with kingpin). My old 8” board had Ace 33s with yellow bones which I liked a lot but the bottom bushings split and I can’t find new med bones in the shops so I put black bones on the bottom and they still felt pretty good.

So the question is, to get my turn back should I:
A) Swap in the yellow tops from the Aces
B) Put back the unused stock Indy bushings all around
C) Buy soft blue bones
D) Just buy Ace 44s
E) Something else, like A+B
?
I’m not looking to go stoopid loose, just not to have to tictac, thx
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8972 on: September 01, 2020, 02:36:37 PM »
venture 5.2 hollow
flat bottom washer from hardware store
flat bones top washer
stock bushings
nut flush

might switch to the ace classic bottom bushings when i get used to the amount of lean before wheelbite, but maybe not. the stock bushings are great

while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8973 on: September 01, 2020, 06:45:16 PM »
Would anyone want hardwood risers? I just realized I have tons of scrap and could easily rip and shape any thickness.

Maybe, have you tried using them before?

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
« Reply #8974 on: September 01, 2020, 07:53:23 PM »
Does anyone here skate medium Bones bushings in Indys? If so, how are they? I usually skate the aftermarket medium Indy or stock Indy bushings but I'm thinking of trying something different.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8975 on: September 01, 2020, 08:12:53 PM »
Does anyone here skate medium Bones bushings in Indys? If so, how are they? I usually skate the aftermarket medium Indy or stock Indy bushings but I'm thinking of trying something different.

Bones Meds and Indys have been a classic combo for decade or more?

They're great, people hate on them at times for the plastic inserts cracking (but they do come with a washer to help with that).

ballintoohard

« Reply #8976 on: September 01, 2020, 08:14:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Would anyone want hardwood risers? I just realized I have tons of scrap and could easily rip and shape any thickness.
[close]

Yah but I suck and don't normally use risers so I dunno what I'd be looking for.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #8977 on: September 01, 2020, 10:19:14 PM »
Yeah, it's a very common combination, and it's god damn awful. This is less to do with indy's, and more to do with bones bushings are terrible in general.

When I used them in a set of indy's, they would go from completely soft with no feedback, to rock hard with no rebound, all because of slight changes in temperature. They don't keep their shape at all and will squish out and crack open, forcing you to keep tightening your trucks to the point that it fucks up the geometry of your trucks (No, I do not skate tight trucks. Rattly loose).
I seriously can not understand the hype around them, as they literally can't be relied on for anything. Lasted me less than a month in indy's, and were a pain in the ass the entire time.

Even in a set of Theeve's, which come stock with bones medium, they took a surprisingly long time to break in, considering that their main appeal is to require no break-in time. Once they did, they were fine for a couple weeks in the cool spring climate, but once the temperature and humidity started rising, they became completely useless.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8978 on: September 01, 2020, 10:50:55 PM »
I always had a hard time cramming them in.  I'd just skate aftermarket indy bushings...

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #8979 on: September 02, 2020, 04:28:40 AM »
Bones bushings completely blow out I don’t understand how anyone has a different experience

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8980 on: September 02, 2020, 08:39:43 AM »
Bones bushings completely blow out I don’t understand how anyone has a different experience

I honestly think overly tight and rattly loose destroy bones bushings. Tightened just enough so there isn't any play, with the right durometer to net how you want to turn, that's how I've always ridden them, in every truck and never had an issue with them bulging (theeves), falling apart, blowing out, whatever.

That said, indy aftermarkets with those machined sleeved washers are fucking stellar.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #8981 on: September 02, 2020, 11:19:19 AM »
I need help. I recently stepped up to a wider board (8.5) so I took some old 149 Indys (prolly stage10) from my cruiser. I had previously put in black hard bones bushings in these ones and now I can’t turn at all with them (nut flush with kingpin). My old 8” board had Ace 33s with yellow bones which I liked a lot but the bottom bushings split and I can’t find new med bones in the shops so I put black bones on the bottom and they still felt pretty good.

So the question is, to get my turn back should I:
A) Swap in the yellow tops from the Aces
B) Put back the unused stock Indy bushings all around
C) Buy soft blue bones
D) Just buy Ace 44s
E) Something else, like A+B
?
I’m not looking to go stoopid loose, just not to have to tictac, thx

I went with A and ate shit from wheelbite so I guess mission accomplished
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8982 on: September 02, 2020, 02:52:14 PM »
Vintage Indy's fell in my lap. They're tiny. Same axle height as the 5.6 raw

upload pic

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Frank and Fred

« Reply #8983 on: September 02, 2020, 08:38:09 PM »
Vintage Indy's fell in my lap. They're tiny. Same axle height as the 5.6 raw

upload pic

8s? Ha ha funny how that's been happening.  Wide cruiser wheels and extra washers... its nice to experience the 'vintage' turn.

Junglist

« Reply #8984 on: September 03, 2020, 03:10:46 PM »
Stage 8 126?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8985 on: September 03, 2020, 08:02:51 PM »
Stage 8 126?

Yeah think so. I can't believe I rode thunders in this size
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Fat Tire

« Reply #8986 on: September 03, 2020, 09:30:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yah but I suck and don't normally use risers so I dunno what I'd be looking for.

If they'd hold up as good as plastic ones they might be pretty cool.

An issue I've had with risers is that they all seem to fit indys (even the pair of thunder risers I had were indy sized)

Risers sized for ace would be choice

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #8987 on: September 05, 2020, 01:45:54 PM »
Does Brent Atchley ride indys? Are these? Hard to tell on my phone

I take care of my curbs.

« Reply #8988 on: September 05, 2020, 05:57:32 PM »
Does Brent Atchley ride indys? Are these? Hard to tell on my phone

He does.  Not sure what size or anything but I do know he rides Indy’s. 

Junglist

« Reply #8989 on: September 05, 2020, 07:13:50 PM »
Wow, even in 2020 Brent Achtley is still fucking God.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #8990 on: September 06, 2020, 06:50:31 AM »
Dude should be on Ace...

truthislie

• Rep: 58
« Reply #8991 on: September 06, 2020, 09:48:41 AM »
So I want to build a new setup and need truck advice. I´ve started out on Krux (at 12 years old) then rode Indy for my whole life and last year got another pair of Krux for nostalgia´s sake (at 36 years old). I know what you all think about Krux, but I got used to them and they feel ok to me. Now I want to try something new - thinking about getting Thunders, Aces or maybe even film trucks. I ride an 8 deck with 52mm wheels and mostly do flatground and ledge skating. Any tips would be appreciated, thank you.

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #8992 on: September 06, 2020, 10:08:24 AM »
So I want to build a new setup and need truck advice. I´ve started out on Krux (at 12 years old) then rode Indy for my whole life and last year got another pair of Krux for nostalgia´s sake (at 36 years old). I know what you all think about Krux, but I got used to them and they feel ok to me. Now I want to try something new - thinking about getting Thunders, Aces or maybe even film trucks. I ride an 8 deck with 52mm wheels and mostly do flatground and ledge skating. Any tips would be appreciated, thank you.

I weigh 210, ride sloppy loose, and have a PC stick up my ass about the iron cross.

Having just come from Krux on my main rider to a pair of Thunder 161.... I would recommend against Thunder. I tried so many bushing combos, and almost everything just leans to wheel bite. I can't hard carve a flat wall, I cant dodge a scooter kid, and I have to ride a wheel formula that doesn't wheel bite too bad or wax the shit out of the deck wood.

I can switch back & forth between Indy and Krux just fine, but as soon as I step on Thunder or Venture it feels like I've never ridden a skateboard.

The flange slots in the Krux base plate blew out, and as soon as I fix that with some JB Weld they are going right back onto my main rider.

truthislie

• Rep: 58
« Reply #8993 on: September 06, 2020, 10:36:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I weigh 210, ride sloppy loose, and have a PC stick up my ass about the iron cross.

Having just come from Krux on my main rider to a pair of Thunder 161.... I would recommend against Thunder. I tried so many bushing combos, and almost everything just leans to wheel bite. I can't hard carve a flat wall, I cant dodge a scooter kid, and I have to ride a wheel formula that doesn't wheel bite too bad or wax the shit out of the deck wood.

I can switch back & forth between Indy and Krux just fine, but as soon as I step on Thunder or Venture it feels like I've never ridden a skateboard.

The flange slots in the Krux base plate blew out, and as soon as I fix that with some JB Weld they are going right back onto my main rider.

Thank you. I weigh 170 and don´t ride too lose - Most of the time I just leave the bushings as they are when the trucks come new and let them loosen up naturally/sometimes one turn on the screw to loosen up. I´d definitely don´t like wheel bites, like to carve but its not the most important thing since I don´t reallly skate transition.

ballintoohard

« Reply #8994 on: September 06, 2020, 11:26:18 AM »
I'm 165 and suck and like Thunder a ton. I don't touch them and don't ever wheelbite. I get tons of wheelbite with Indy no matter what I do with them. Ace are better in that regard. If I were you I'd try Thunder then Ace. From what I gather Krux don't turn much, but are stable. Thunder for me are extremely stable, but have a pretty responsive turn arc. Ace definitely feel a bit squirrelier, in a good way, but it could be way more jarring. I'd get 148's given your deck size since they're closer in height to what you're used to.

Fat Tire

« Reply #8995 on: September 06, 2020, 11:57:37 AM »
I'm 165 and suck and like Thunder a ton. I don't touch them and don't ever wheelbite. I get tons of wheelbite with Indy no matter what I do with them. Ace are better in that regard. If I were you I'd try Thunder then Ace. From what I gather Krux don't turn much, but are stable. Thunder for me are extremely stable, but have a pretty responsive turn arc. Ace definitely feel a bit squirrelier, in a good way, but it could be way more jarring. I'd get 148's given your deck size since they're closer in height to what you're used to.

I agree, Thunders turn just as good as indy imo but do suffer a bit due to being lower. I'm the same weight and don't have any issues.

I threw in indy super soft bushings any they turn really nice albeit super loose.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #8996 on: September 06, 2020, 11:54:41 PM »
If you're looking for something in the direction of Indy, I'd suggest Ace, but since you're also used to Krux, you might like a more stable truck like Theeve. They're nothing like Krux, but they're really stable on the center like a more tech truck, while still being nice and turny like an Indy. They'd be good with your wheel size too.
Go for Ace if you wanna carve the fucking flatground and look badass when landing sketchy. They're a hoot.

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #8997 on: September 07, 2020, 05:30:32 PM »
I picked up a Real 8.06 Full SE today and cant decide on either 147s or 148s...anyone got suggestions, ill gladly listen!  :P

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #8998 on: September 07, 2020, 06:12:32 PM »
I picked up a Real 8.06 Full SE today and cant decide on either 147s or 148s...anyone got suggestions, ill gladly listen!  :P
just got 148's and i skirt between 8.06 and 8.125, came off of 147s, both team baseplates. honestly the 148's height and grind clearance is what sold me. feels like a bit more stable too. never run bigger trucks on a board but i like the feel. 147's were fun but wheel bite is what put me off.

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #8999 on: September 07, 2020, 06:45:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
just got 148's and i skirt between 8.06 and 8.125, came off of 147s, both team baseplates. honestly the 148's height and grind clearance is what sold me. feels like a bit more stable too. never run bigger trucks on a board but i like the feel. 147's were fun but wheel bite is what put me off.

Ya im kinda leaning to the 148s for the same reason. 147s are def super low and i get so much wheel bite