Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220644 times)

Diocletian

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9090 on: September 22, 2020, 07:53:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone try riptide pivots in thunders?  They have a generic one that they say can be used in indy/thunder/venture but they don't know this thread.   I think Ben d tried it and it worked ok....

With the hardgoods shortage, I'm thinking of an overhaul where I swap hangers.  I usually would never do that but, I guess I might have to squeeze out the life of a set of trucks. 
[close]

I've used the 'indy' riptides in everything: Thudner, indy, ace, theeve, tensors, ventures, they work fine, they're flexible and confirm (besides how different are the pivots anyway really).

Only the ACE riptides seem to be thicker.

I've not used any other riptides in other trucks so I don't know how easy it is to get them to fit, but the set of Ace's I have now (stage 2's) are insanely stubborn compared to other Ace's I've had previously. They wouldn't fit the Ace Riptides no matter how hard I tried. They even sent me a warranty set of Riptide's in case it was on them. Just the other day I tried again and one set would work and another would just slip right off the pivot nub. I learned I have to smush them onto the nub really hard and then quickly jam it into the pivot hole of the baseplate and hurry up and screw down the nut, or else the hanger starts to raise up from the cup. It's a battle worth fighting, though.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9091 on: September 22, 2020, 09:37:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone try riptide pivots in thunders?  They have a generic one that they say can be used in indy/thunder/venture but they don't know this thread.   I think Ben d tried it and it worked ok....

With the hardgoods shortage, I'm thinking of an overhaul where I swap hangers.  I usually would never do that but, I guess I might have to squeeze out the life of a set of trucks. 
[close]

I've used the 'indy' riptides in everything: Thudner, indy, ace, theeve, tensors, ventures, they work fine, they're flexible and confirm (besides how different are the pivots anyway really).

[close]

I've not used any other riptides in other trucks so I don't know how easy it is to get them to fit, but the set of Ace's I have now (stage 2's) are insanely stubborn compared to other Ace's I've had previously. They wouldn't fit the Ace Riptides no matter how hard I tried. They even sent me a warranty set of Riptide's in case it was on them. Just the other day I tried again and one set would work and another would just slip right off the pivot nub. I learned I have to smush them onto the nub really hard and then quickly jam it into the pivot hole of the baseplate and hurry up and screw down the nut, or else the hanger starts to raise up from the cup. It's a battle worth fighting, though.

You can fight this a bit by sticking a needled through the cup (it's the same reason why their new cups ship with a hole, to release the trapped air as you push them in).

Diocletian

« Reply #9092 on: September 22, 2020, 10:39:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You can fight this a bit by sticking a needled through the cup (it's the same reason why their new cups ship with a hole, to release the trapped air as you push them in).

This was happening even WITH the new cups with the hole lol

augustmoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #9093 on: September 22, 2020, 11:31:21 AM »
just put mine in my aces.  won't be able to skate for a bit due to weather, but they feel a lot less squirrely standing on my board in my house.  i can't believe i've become a "truck set ups thread" guy, but thanks for all the good input.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9094 on: September 22, 2020, 08:48:37 PM »
My trucks feel all crunchy and shitty when I turn. I changed pivot cup and bushings and it’s still happening. It feels like the pivot cup is in gravel. Other truck is fine- Indy 159
Wtf is wrong?

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #9095 on: September 23, 2020, 10:38:11 AM »
My trucks feel all crunchy and shitty when I turn. I changed pivot cup and bushings and it’s still happening. It feels like the pivot cup is in gravel. Other truck is fine- Indy 159
Wtf is wrong?
Loose kingpin?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #9096 on: September 23, 2020, 01:47:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Wtf is wrong?
[close]
Loose kingpin?

This sounds right. Dab of epoxy will set you right if that's the problem.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9097 on: September 23, 2020, 02:39:34 PM »
So i’ve come to the realization I’m probably never going to size up from 8.25. Maybe occasionally trying an 8.38/8.125.  My question for you all is should i go with 149 or 148s? I mainly skate transition/mini ramp. Still beginner level for ledges and rails.

I love everything about my thunder 149s, but i’m wondering how much of a difference in flipability i would gain from sizing down. And also what id lose by sizing down in my transition skating. If anyone has some insight into what trucks they use for 8.25 that’d be appreciated

148/144s - I usually run 8.125, 8.25 and 8.3 and 148/144s are perfect and very flexible.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 06:44:05 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9098 on: September 23, 2020, 06:30:48 PM »
I agree....an 8.125 feels like an 8 and an 8.38 feels like an 8.5. Both work well on these trucks. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9099 on: September 23, 2020, 06:45:38 PM »
I agree....an 8.125 feels like an 8 and an 8.38 feels like an 8.5. Both work well on these trucks. 

True! It helps my mental game of bullshit my brains feeds me "8.0" is too narrow" or "8.5" is too big" ;)

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9100 on: September 23, 2020, 06:59:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wtf is wrong?
[close]
Loose kingpin?
[close]

This sounds right. Dab of epoxy will set you right if that's the problem.

Cool, I’ll try. Has to be the case. Come to think of it I have some stage vii with same problem, this could save the quiver.

kenjiro

« Reply #9101 on: September 23, 2020, 07:10:28 PM »
Expand Quote
So i’ve come to the realization I’m probably never going to size up from 8.25. Maybe occasionally trying an 8.38/8.125.  My question for you all is should i go with 149 or 148s? I mainly skate transition/mini ramp. Still beginner level for ledges and rails.

I love everything about my thunder 149s, but i’m wondering how much of a difference in flipability i would gain from sizing down. And also what id lose by sizing down in my transition skating. If anyone has some insight into what trucks they use for 8.25 that’d be appreciated
[close]

148/144s - I usually run 8.125, 8.25 and 8.3 and 148/144s are perfect and very flexible.

awesome. thanks for the advice! gonna have to try a set of 148s after i wear these 149s down

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #9102 on: September 24, 2020, 10:43:25 AM »
Damn I just ordered Aces thinking I could just switch over my Indy riptides from the trucks I'm currently running - will they not fit at all or is the Ace specific riptide just somehow more dialed into the specific geometry of Aces or what?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9103 on: September 24, 2020, 10:31:32 PM »
I'm incensed of the fact you guys think all pivots are equal.....and from a longboard company no less...

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #9104 on: September 26, 2020, 08:33:28 PM »
Can’t we all relate.

Swapping kingpins?

BL0B

• Rep: 412
« Reply #9105 on: September 26, 2020, 10:31:02 PM »
Can’t we all relate.

Swapping kingpins?

looks like he's robbing bushing out of the new indy mids.

Illyboy

• Rep: 0
« Reply #9106 on: September 30, 2020, 06:15:19 AM »
Does anyone know what duro the green bushings are that come in Thunder lights II 148s? I wanna swap them for something less squishy but don’t have anything to go by number wise.

identitycrisis2010

« Reply #9107 on: September 30, 2020, 06:51:56 AM »
all right question, so my favorite deck size/shape is 8.475 mellow concave baker,
i’m older now so really i’m mostly skating flat ground, and ledges, but i’m trying to get onto rails, and my tranny skills go about as far as a mini ramp.

i need that feeling when your shit just feels molded to your feet. i once had thunders - idk what size - with bones hard bushings, and it was like heaven beneath my feet, but then i tried to duplicate and it was terrible, so i switched to indys, i’ve had like 2 or 3 pairs and each time it feels like i’m fighting with my trucks to do what i want, i skated in the rain and my trucks are done, i’ve been skating trucks i don’t like too long, i want that good feeling again. i know it’s out there.
but now i’m in heavy ocd mode.

so outside suggestions?

sorry that was long winded.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #9108 on: September 30, 2020, 07:04:01 AM »
Does anyone know what duro the green bushings are that come in Thunder lights II 148s? I wanna swap them for something less squishy but don’t have anything to go by number wise.

Pretty sure every stock Thunder bushing is 90a regardless of color

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #9109 on: September 30, 2020, 07:29:13 AM »
all right question, so my favorite deck size/shape is 8.475 mellow concave baker,
i’m older now so really i’m mostly skating flat ground, and ledges, but i’m trying to get onto rails, and my tranny skills go about as far as a mini ramp.

i need that feeling when your shit just feels molded to your feet. i once had thunders - idk what size - with bones hard bushings, and it was like heaven beneath my feet, but then i tried to duplicate and it was terrible, so i switched to indys, i’ve had like 2 or 3 pairs and each time it feels like i’m fighting with my trucks to do what i want, i skated in the rain and my trucks are done, i’ve been skating trucks i don’t like too long, i want that good feeling again. i know it’s out there.

so outside suggestions?

That wasn't long winded don't worry man. I would just try to figure out what made the Thunders you liked feel good and go back to them. Switching to Thunder from Indy always feels odd for a little while.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9110 on: September 30, 2020, 07:38:41 AM »

so outside suggestions?

Which generation Thunders? Pre-re-design or after?

identitycrisis2010

« Reply #9111 on: September 30, 2020, 08:13:18 AM »
Expand Quote

so outside suggestions?

[close]

Which generation Thunders? Pre-re-design or after?

this was probably like 2012ish, did not know they went through a redesign.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #9112 on: September 30, 2020, 08:33:20 AM »

so outside suggestions?

Ever tried Ace? I've tried Thunder 149, Venture 5.8, Indy 149 (and now have 159s on my second setup, which I love) and Ace 44, and my 44's are by far my favorite trucks for 8.25-8.5 decks (I run 3 washers inside each wheel to make them more like a 149 size wise). If Ace comes up with 8.6-8.75 trucks or something, I'd buy those in a heartbeat and ditch my 159s for my "fun" setup (football shapes, egg shapes and other weird(er) shapes)

identitycrisis2010

« Reply #9113 on: September 30, 2020, 08:40:17 AM »
Expand Quote

so outside suggestions?

[close]

Ever tried Ace? I've tried Thunder 149, Venture 5.8, Indy 149 (and now have 159s on my second setup, which I love) and Ace 44, and my 44's are by far my favorite trucks for 8.25-8.5 decks (I run 3 washers inside each wheel to make them more like a 149 size wise). If Ace comes up with 8.6-8.75 trucks or something, I'd buy those in a heartbeat and ditch my 159s for my "fun" setup (football shapes, egg shapes and other weird(er) shapes)

i haven’t tried them, but i’ve heard a lot of good about them, i’ll check out a shop here to see if they have them, i stopped in the shop closest to me yesterday and it was sad that all they carry now is indys, they said that they are the only trucks that sell.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #9114 on: September 30, 2020, 09:05:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

so outside suggestions?

[close]

[close]

i haven’t tried them, but i’ve heard a lot of good about them, i’ll check out a shop here to see if they have them, i stopped in the shop closest to me yesterday and it was sad that all they carry now is indys, they said that they are the only trucks that sell.

Sadly, I understand them. 90% of the guys I skate with are on indys I think. (I might be exaggerating a little, but not by much)

I just love my aces, I ride my trucks pretty loose and ace just stay stable a little bit better than my indys I think. Indys are also very good though, and last longer, you can't go wrong with them... Ace just have that "oomph" I'm looking for in a truck. Perfect height, awesome turn, massive pop, buttery grind, a little lighter than indys while still feeling solid af...  only downside is that they grind down a little quicker maybe, but I don't mind that too much, even though I hate brand new trucks, there's something satisfying about breaking them in and finally getting them to the point where you are in love again.

If I can't find aces when I need to change trucks, I'd go back to indys, maybe I'd try indys with ace bushings? The different duro of top and bottom could be what indys are missing, idk. That being said, I probably would miss my aces though, they really are the best trucks I ever stepped on.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9115 on: September 30, 2020, 10:06:41 AM »
I’ve been skating Thunder Ti with the forged plates, which I understand are 50mm high. Right now I’ve got them on a Polar 8.3, which mostly feels great, but I do find that my flick is quite poor like I almost under rotate everything and often don’t pop kick flips. Ventures were slightly better for this but I don’t like the way they lock into almost anything.

What is likely causing this? Height or wheelbase? I have some Ace I can throw on but I don’t remember liking them as much.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9116 on: September 30, 2020, 07:33:28 PM »
With thunders they are lower and lighter so your tail hits super fast and the angle is mellow so your flick foot has less time to move up the board and kick off the nose....

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #9117 on: October 01, 2020, 07:38:50 AM »
I’ve been skating Thunder Ti with the forged plates, which I understand are 50mm high. Right now I’ve got them on a Polar 8.3, which mostly feels great, but I do find that my flick is quite poor like I almost under rotate everything and often don’t pop kick flips. Ventures were slightly better for this but I don’t like the way they lock into almost anything.

What is likely causing this? Height or wheelbase? I have some Ace I can throw on but I don’t remember liking them as much.

Low height can both give you a mellower/faster pop feel, which is more likely than your wheelbase. A longer wb can counteract it and make it balanced if you have the option. A different shape board with a longer wb or steeper tail may help you, or get some Thunders with cast plates. Maybe risers... I would honestly try those things before switching truck brands if you like everything else about them.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #9118 on: October 01, 2020, 08:25:41 AM »

I had to ditch my Thunder Hollow Lights after trying them on 3 decks (over maybe 9 months) because I couldn't time anything correctly. I went back to Ace and feel at home. I've decided that thunders aren't for me. I really like the turn of thunder because it's super responsive, but if I can't do anything else but turn, what's the point?

ballintoohard

« Reply #9119 on: October 01, 2020, 10:58:48 AM »
Everything else is fine but this. I generally like my deck shape and almost everything else is on point. Thunders seem to pinch for various grinds the best and overall the response feels really natural not wobbly or weird. Ventures felt solid pop wise, but I dunno, I could never feel as comfortable on 5-0 or crooks for whatever reason.