Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220998 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9600 on: December 30, 2020, 09:25:55 AM »
Expand Quote
The second half of this video does a great job describing the Indy mids. 

[close]

Sure does!

If I wasn't so happily setup with a dozen sets of regular Stage 11 149s on my boards, I would be so keen to buy / try a set of mids after watching this.

It would be interesting to see some and feel how they skate anyway, but I am more than happy with what I already have.

This definitely puts them in a better light than just the specs or the Ben DG video, but Ron is NHS to the core, so is also a good salesman for his own in house brands.

I skimmed through it but I don't think he mentions the hanger and that its beefier....there's some weight there for sure....BD I think mentions this. 

I'll consider titaniums....

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #9601 on: December 30, 2020, 11:53:15 AM »
Anyone ran both indy 144 (53.5) and venture v-hollow 5.6 on quasi/fa 8.25? Have indy tits now which I love but ended up buying some v-hollow 5.6 just to test out and throw on a second setup. Currrently have a stack of quasi decks to get through. Wondering if anyone who has tried both has any preference and if so why.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9602 on: December 30, 2020, 02:00:04 PM »
I ran 53.5 high Indy and 5.6 cast on an FA, they didn’t feel a ton different other than the turn.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9603 on: December 30, 2020, 06:14:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Sure does!

If I wasn't so happily setup with a dozen sets of regular Stage 11 149s on my boards, I would be so keen to buy / try a set of mids after watching this.

It would be interesting to see some and feel how they skate anyway, but I am more than happy with what I already have.

This definitely puts them in a better light than just the specs or the Ben DG video, but Ron is NHS to the core, so is also a good salesman for his own in house brands.
[close]

I skimmed through it but I don't think he mentions the hanger and that its beefier....there's some weight there for sure....BD I think mentions this. 

Yes a few things left out and a few other things emphasised, but with options like inverted kingpin baseplate sets, Reynolds hollow pro, then hollow and titanium versions later, they have almost all options covered it would seem.

I have used an angle grinder on a set of standard kingpin baseplates to take it down lower once everything is set up, which would work fine for the clearance needed specifically for the mid hanger too, but I wonder how many people would end up with the kingpin grinded down or blow out the inverted head.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9604 on: December 30, 2020, 08:18:39 PM »
Id prolly just kick down and get a krux....never thought I'd say I like the look of it but compared to the Indy one.....I suspect thunders will be similar which will lead to minimal difference....

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #9605 on: December 31, 2020, 08:18:12 AM »
If one had to compare Theeve to the big 3, what would they be similar to? Just thought of theeve for some reason but know 0 about them

Diocletian

« Reply #9606 on: December 31, 2020, 08:32:56 AM »
Theeve are like an Indy/Ace hybrid. More stable and turny than Indy but not quite as nuts of a turn as Ace.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9607 on: December 31, 2020, 09:09:39 AM »
I’ve decided to just stick to Indy Forged Hollows unless the upcoming lighter mids end up being much different. After trying the big 3 and Ace, they’re the best overall compromise. Venture second, but my bad luck with their bushings and quick wear makes that a distant second. Even with Indy the aftermarket orange bushings aren’t that much different, but they last super long.

Best of luck gents.

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
« Reply #9608 on: December 31, 2020, 11:53:24 AM »

https://youtu.be/Gfk_W3W-xY0

Nice video, thanks.
One thing Whaley gets wrong at the 8:00 mark is that no one had the shaft nut before the Indy Mid.

G&S had a threaded baseplate for a bit on their steel trucks, and Grind King called it the sleeve nut. They came stock in the Grind King AXL, but you also got a set if you bought the kingpins separately, so you could drill out your existing baseplate and tap them in other brands of trucks too.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9609 on: December 31, 2020, 08:14:40 PM »
If one had to compare Theeve to the big 3, what would they be similar to? Just thought of theeve for some reason but know 0 about them

Trev Ward (older Aussie vert guy, not US street guy) who created them said they were a combination of Indy and Thunder more than anything else, if you really want to compare them to the big brands.  The baseplate holes are about half way between those two and the turn is about the same half way between them, so yes they still turn and grind more like Indy, but not quite to that degree.  That is the normal CSX ones though, not counting the Ti version or any of the other mixes.  I had a set on a board that had been skated to death and down to the axle, but still worked and were good to ride.

A lot of people didn't want anything to do with them, myself included back when I was offered a set a number of years ago, but when they were on boards I built and skated at the indoor park owned by Trev Ward, I found them to be quite a decent truck.  There were issues with quality in the first production lot way back when but sorted now, similar to Ace I believe, but although that is in the past, people still remember it and don't want them.

As much as I prefer Indy, I will be open to try product from any brands, as long as I don't have to buy it myself, so in this way, it was an interesting introduction to the brand.  The other interesting thing is during lockdown when ALL the main brands were sold out in lots of shops, Theeve was the only brand still in stock (and still didn't sell) so make of that what you will.

Nicki

« Reply #9610 on: January 01, 2021, 10:40:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Sure does!

[close]

[close]

Yes a few things left out and a few other things emphasised, but with options like inverted kingpin baseplate sets, Reynolds hollow pro, then hollow and titanium versions later, they have almost all options covered it would seem.

I have used an angle grinder on a set of standard kingpin baseplates to take it down lower once everything is set up, which would work fine for the clearance needed specifically for the mid hanger too, but I wonder how many people would end up with the kingpin grinded down or blow out the inverted head.

True, and I love Ron (“how long have you been doing standup? All my life - it’s all comedy to me” ;D) but not to mentioning the beefy hanger seems like a big omission. You can see the side by side @4:44 with standards and there’s a dramatic  difference in hanger size/weight. It might even be a preference for some, but to say all the extra weight is in the baseplate nut is just not true. The lower truck will make the board flip quicker so that makes sense with Ron’s washing machine explanation. Anyway, it’s great that there are new and different options for Indy fans, soon there’ll be 4 different heights to choose from 55, 53.5, 52, and 50.5 - and all the variations with those!! Good stuff!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9611 on: January 01, 2021, 11:41:16 AM »
Mid forged Ti - I'll be back.

Lot of justification going on in that vid...and damn, he makes an 8.3 look like an 8 :P

Thunder and ACE make wide low[er] trucks...for that 159 range
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 11:55:14 AM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9612 on: January 01, 2021, 12:01:13 PM »
Theeve are like an Indy/Ace hybrid. More stable and turny than Indy but not quite as nuts of a turn as Ace.

Agreed!

Nicki

« Reply #9613 on: January 01, 2021, 01:27:51 PM »
Mid forged Ti - I'll be back.

Lot of justification going on in that vid...and damn, he makes an 8.3 look like an 8 :P

Thunder and ACE make wide low[er] trucks...for that 159 range

Yeah, that was another porky.

“Other truck companies make trucks that wide, but they’re all standard height. In that way the 159 are special as they are a wider and lower”. ;)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 03:52:25 PM by Nicki »

Kaydubbb

« Reply #9614 on: January 03, 2021, 12:51:04 AM »
Has anyone tried the riptide pivot cups for Indy trucks? Wondering if they fit and perform well?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9615 on: January 03, 2021, 04:16:36 AM »
Has anyone tried the riptide pivot cups for Indy trucks? Wondering if they fit and perform well?

I had neither seen nor heard of them until here and still never seen them in person, but apparently many Slap pals swear by them.  They make them specifically for various trucks, but it seems the ones for all the normal skateboard trucks (not longboards or other weird variations) such as Ace, Indy, Thunder, Venture, etc are the same.

https://www.riptidesports.com/pages/info-charts-guides/pivot-cups-explained.html

https://www.riptidesports.com/pivot-cups/

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9616 on: January 03, 2021, 07:36:48 AM »
I'm skating the Indy/Bennet ones in my thunders which I swore was a bad idea...wrong......they feel/work great. 

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #9617 on: January 03, 2021, 10:39:43 AM »

I use the RipTide pivot cups for Indys in my 149’s.

They make a noticeable difference to me and I do recommend trying them.

To me they are a welcome improvement.

The stock pivot cups in my Indys were bad. Dried up and jagged.

The RipTides are real smooth and much much less noisy. I enjoy them.

Diocletian

« Reply #9618 on: January 03, 2021, 10:46:15 AM »
Can anyone confirm if Indy Riptide cups work in Ace baseplates?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9619 on: January 03, 2021, 01:06:27 PM »
Can anyone confirm if Indy Riptide cups work in Ace baseplates?

They do. I've used the indy cups in Theeve/ACE/Thunder/Venture

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9620 on: January 03, 2021, 01:12:49 PM »
The truck nerd in me thought there's no way the same pivot cup could work in all trucks but I think the quality of the urethane just softens the turn no matter what.....

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9621 on: January 03, 2021, 04:28:34 PM »
All modern standard trucks fit the same as the pivot holes in baseplates are within very specific measurements, in the same way that kingpins, axle nuts, bearings sizes are all standard, so the width and depth of the pivot hole, and the size of the hanger "thumb" are pretty much universal.

That is to say all the trucks I have that I have measured including Indy, Ace, Thunder, Venture, Theeve, Destructo, Crail and some other cheaper trucks, just not Penny (which are smaller) or longboard style or other weird versions of non normal shaped trucks (which are larger or tube shaped).

Kaydubbb

« Reply #9622 on: January 03, 2021, 04:58:16 PM »
Going to buy and try some of the pivot cups then. Need new bushings too, standard Indy bushings way too soft. I've been running deluxe supercush purple I think they are 97a and they are little too hard. What Indy bushings would you recommend for my 99kg (218lb) ass? I'm thinking either the 96a yellow or 94a black.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #9623 on: January 03, 2021, 05:10:50 PM »
Going to buy and try some of the pivot cups then. Need new bushings too, standard Indy bushings way too soft. I've been running deluxe supercush purple I think they are 97a and they are little too hard. What Indy bushings would you recommend for my 99kg (218lb) ass? I'm thinking either the 96a yellow or 94a black.

The yellow 96s feel harder than the purple 97s IMO. I fluctuate between 190 and 205 and the blue barrel 92s are amazing in every set of indys I've tried.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9624 on: January 03, 2021, 05:18:36 PM »

You could also mix and match with what you currently have, just to feel them out, eg use the harder supercush 97a bottoms and the softer Indy stock 90a tops, then try the reverse of that and see how much it changes things.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #9625 on: January 03, 2021, 05:23:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The yellow 96s feel harder than the purple 97s IMO. I fluctuate between 190 and 205 and the blue barrel 92s are amazing in every set of indys I've tried.
good to know, thanks. Have the purple 97a but 92 sound like a perfect middle ground. Want to try those if I set up a pair of indy’s again.

Kaydubbb

« Reply #9626 on: January 03, 2021, 11:50:25 PM »
Bought some of the riptide pivot cups and some black Indy 94a bushings. Will report back!

Diocletian

« Reply #9627 on: January 04, 2021, 09:52:39 AM »
All modern standard trucks fit the same as the pivot holes in baseplates are within very specific measurements, in the same way that kingpins, axle nuts, bearings sizes are all standard, so the width and depth of the pivot hole, and the size of the hanger "thumb" are pretty much universal.

That is to say all the trucks I have that I have measured including Indy, Ace, Thunder, Venture, Theeve, Destructo, Crail and some other cheaper trucks, just not Penny (which are smaller) or longboard style or other weird versions of non normal shaped trucks (which are larger or tube shaped).

This is interesting. I would think the pivot cavity and the pivot "nub" on the hanger would all vary enough to where Riptide would indeed need to make custom molds but perhaps they aren't telling the whole truth in terms of a lot of truck pivots don't even need to be custom molds?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9628 on: January 04, 2021, 11:05:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure at some point riptide made a thunder specific cup....that said, Ben D made a vid and told me that the Indy/Bennet ones worked fine and I believe riptide recommends the same....I tried it...seems good.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9629 on: January 05, 2021, 06:47:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure at some point riptide made a thunder specific cup....that said, Ben D made a vid and told me that the Indy/Bennet ones worked fine and I believe riptide recommends the same....I tried it...seems good.

They actually have them listed and sell them as specific brand pivot cups on their site, but it would seem that they are all the same pivot cups as well, just the two different options though - green and blue.

I have never seen Riptide pivot cups in person, but the Indy specific branded pivot cups are the same as the Thunder specific branded pivot cups that I have here and both fit in any trucks I have put them in.  The only difference seems to be the generic Indy / Thunder pivot cups are not as good quality as Riptides, so I guess that is a plus for getting Riptides.