Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220885 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9720 on: January 19, 2021, 09:39:05 AM »
thought i was gonna stick with ace, but now i'm considering getting thunder 148s because i'm liking these 147s that i had laying around, but want that 2mm extra height, but i'm also considering downsizing to 7.875 and what if 148s are a tad too wide? who's bright idea was it to make 147s shorter?
on the other hand, i wouldn't mind if ace had a forged baseplate option to be 1-1.5mm shorter because it's already got great wheelbite clearance and would probably still beat thunder if it weren't as tall

Whut.

147s are the true thunder height, they adjusted the larger sizes to be taller. 147s are dope, in large part due to their height. The new wood risers from real, thunder specific jawns, might cure your ails. 147s are good from 7.75-8.25, 148s 8-8.5. Not sure if you have the forged plate thunders, cast plates would give you a little more height, but the wood risers are pretty sick imo.

Ace plate is already thinner. Ace are what, 52 mm high? Thunder 147s are just shy of 50mm iirc. That’s getting pretty precious, no?

anon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #9721 on: January 19, 2021, 10:38:13 AM »
147s are the true thunder height, they adjusted the larger sizes to be taller.

Ace plate is already thinner. Ace are what, 52 mm high? Thunder 147s are just shy of 50mm iirc. That’s getting pretty precious, no?
i compared two sets of aces - one broken in and the other untouched - to some forged baseplate indys (53.5mm) and they were pretty much the same height. wish they were a bit lower

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9722 on: January 19, 2021, 11:38:27 AM »
ok
Expand Quote
147s are the true thunder height, they adjusted the larger sizes to be taller.
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
i compared two sets of aces - one broken in and the other untouched - to some forged baseplate indys (53.5mm) and they were pretty much the same height. wish they were a bit lower

Ah. The ace baseplate, to me, looks thin, compared to an indy/thunder cast plate. I didn’t measure my aces, they are pretty worn in, so a measurement would not be accurate to a new truck. I thought aces were 52 mm. With ace qc, that could maybe be a little off.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9723 on: January 19, 2021, 06:44:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Rounded side against truck hanger, flat side against washer.
[close]
Disagree here. I put the flat side against the hanger - (the side with the 3 rings, if you use Indy)

That is the textured (and slightly rounded) side.

The other side is the sharp edges with an unfinished look.

So we are actually putting them on the same way.

Glad we agree!  :)
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9724 on: January 19, 2021, 06:56:32 PM »
1/8" risers are 3mm, so using those with 147's just gets you narrower 148 Teams. Just get the forged plate 148s.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9725 on: January 19, 2021, 08:23:04 PM »
1/8" risers are 3mm, so using those with 147's just gets you narrower 148 Teams. Just get the forged plate 148s.

Eh, next comment was them considering sizing deck down to 7.875, which I guess you could do with 148s, but that seems more awkward than just using a riser.

With thunders being different heights for different widths, I’m fairly certain but please correct me if I’m wrong, I wonder where the height comes from: baseplate or hanger?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #9726 on: January 19, 2021, 08:24:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Disagree here. I put the flat side against the hanger - (the side with the 3 rings, if you use Indy)
[close]

Does it actually make a difference? I've seen people discuss this but I can't imagine it actually doing anything

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9727 on: January 19, 2021, 08:38:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Does it actually make a difference? I've seen people discuss this but I can't imagine it actually doing anything

Those cylinder bushings are almost identical at either end so no, not really.  People have often put them in upside down and they will not change a thing about how the skateboard turns or rides.

The only difference that will cause some issues is when the bushing is wider than the space in the metal washer, so it will not sit flat in it, then squashes down, often to the heel side and doesn't perform as it was intended, most commonly when people try to put cylinder bushings on with conical metal washers, or some brands of truck have smaller bottom washers and not as wide cylinder bushings as the aftermarket bushings they try to put in.

Indy bushings always come with the relevant washers to fit, cylinder or conical, as do the Thunder rebuild kit, but some bushing sets only have bushings, no washers, as per the Thunder tube, or the Deluxe Supercush tube.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9728 on: January 19, 2021, 08:43:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Eh, next comment was them considering sizing deck down to 7.875, which I guess you could do with 148s, but that seems more awkward than just using a riser.

With thunders being different heights for different widths, I’m fairly certain but please correct me if I’m wrong, I wonder where the height comes from: baseplate or hanger?

It's from the hanger I think, which is why the kingpin clearance is much lower.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9729 on: January 19, 2021, 08:48:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Same as the Indy stage 10 to the stage 11, the hanger is taller - easy to see when you have them back to back with the pivot point up.

I thought I had a pic of it, but it seems I do not.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9730 on: January 19, 2021, 09:58:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Same as the Indy stage 10 to the stage 11, the hanger is taller - easy to see when you have them back to back with the pivot point up.

Did you like stage 10s?
I’m not sure when I started liking Indy less....the quality is higher now, than ever before imo. Just don’t like the new ones as much

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9731 on: January 20, 2021, 06:35:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Did you like stage 10s?
I’m not sure when I started liking Indy less....the quality is higher now, than ever before imo. Just don’t like the new ones as much

I had a lot of Stage 9 (same everything as Stage 10 only the 9s had two hollow parts in the baseplate that always broke) so was used to how they felt and always used thin risers because I liked to turn and I also liked bigger wheels.

When the stage 11 came in, I really didn't want to try them at first, mainly because I had more than a dozen setups, too many that I didn't need and was told they were too high and all the rest of it, but I thought I would try one set of the 144s and was amazed at how much more turn and clearance there was.  I set up more 11s including 149s and 159s on bigger boards too, and have found them overall to be much better for how I skate.

From that, I don't ride many of the older setups with earlier stages, pretty much everything on Stage 11 now, but I am also not skating half as tech as I used to (flips, ledges, etc) so I enjoy more loose truck turn than anything else.  The older 9 and 10 don't turn as much or as well, compared to the 11s, which is probably good for how some people like to skate anyway, that bit more stable and a bit lower, etc.

You can get more or less the same feeling from any of the forged baseplate versions in current trucks and not have the drama of trying to find old trucks - I had some minimally used forged hollow 159s come back so I tested them and they are closer to the older ones, still grind, turn and perform as expected.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9732 on: January 20, 2021, 07:36:19 AM »
I think people worry about small height differences too much. It might feel weird at first, but most people will wear down their wheels 2-3mm over their life, which is the difference. A low vs high might matter more or moving from a standard Indy to a forged Thunder although the lower height would offset some of the wheelbase move.

anon

« Reply #9733 on: January 20, 2021, 08:44:49 AM »
the thing with wheels is going down one mm in diameter is just half a mm difference in height. one mm on trucks can give you room for an extra two mm in wheel size

ballintoohard

« Reply #9734 on: January 20, 2021, 09:03:56 AM »
I mean Thunder regular vs cast or forged vs regular are 1mm in difference....

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9735 on: January 20, 2021, 09:14:40 AM »
Anon, I’m kinda not sure what you want. If I read this correctly, if, you don’t like the height of 147s, which are almost 50 mm, but you do like the height of 148s, which are 52 mm, but may want to move down in board size, ace which are listed at 52 mm you want to have a forged plate lowering the height from 50.5 ish to 51.5.
So you want trucks that are 51-52 mm tall? Royals are close, 50 ish, and better than people think. Indy mids when they come out with a forged plate will be a bit lower, now they are 52mm.
I’ll stand by the notion of 147s with forged plate and a rider being your best option.
I agree with ballin that folks get too caught up in height, but I think that’s because there isn’t another number we can attach to the pop feeling. It probably has more to do with a salad of: axle positioning, height, tail/nose lengths and angles, wb, effective wb, butterflies, board width and length, wheel size, and then our individual body proportions, x memories from back in the day

ballintoohard

« Reply #9736 on: January 20, 2021, 10:07:04 AM »
Think of this in terms of a simple lever arm. Trucks are going to alter the angle of the board when the tail hits the ground. Moving from Ace to Venture makes the tail pop later as does going from a low to a high. But, wheel size and decks matter much more than just the trucks. Many of these trucks are so close that it might not even change the board angle a half a degree. You can play around with that here a bit: https://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/levers/page_levers_1.htm

My advice after fucking around with Ace, Indy, Thunder, and Venture is to find a relative height you like, then find the turn/grind/pinch/whatever you like the best. Then shop various deck shapes. Or vice versa I dunno. The rest will work itself out. I started skating in the late 90's and don't buy the bullshit that people somehow have 20 year muscle memory going that prevents them from riding higher/bigger stuff. I went from 7.5 and Venture low to 8-8.25 and Indy/Thunder forged and likely skate as close to as good if not better than my peak aside from flatground flip tricks that I don't have the patience to care about.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9737 on: January 20, 2021, 10:36:55 AM »
I don’t think my personal muscle memory from 20 plus years ago is a factor. I think my memories (fantasies) about how I skated back in the day factor in, because I’m chasing ‘feelings’ from long ago.
Modern equipment is also much nicer. Boards, trucks, wheels, are for the most part significantly better now. Which makes riding a larger size easier.

anon

« Reply #9738 on: January 20, 2021, 10:46:50 AM »
yeah - levers, fulcrum, length of tail/nose, angle, all that bs. i think we can all adjust. it was more to do with the material/hardness and "quality" of pop to begin with
somebody mentioned the material of aces was the cause of a less crisp pop, which led me down this rabbit hole (i was quite content otherwise)
as i messed around, i found that the height of thunders felt good and wanted aces to be that height
since aces beat any other truck in regards to wheel clearance, i wouldn't mind sacrificing a bit of that to have a lower ride (ace lows are too much)
as for the pop of aces, i've just come to terms with it
i'll just use thunders with the more worn in, razor-tailed decks and smaller wheels
i do like the "manual point" on thunders, tough
backside nosegrinds with thunders are a dream

ballintoohard

« Reply #9739 on: January 20, 2021, 01:11:26 PM »
I don’t think my personal muscle memory from 20 plus years ago is a factor. I think my memories (fantasies) about how I skated back in the day factor in, because I’m chasing ‘feelings’ from long ago.
Modern equipment is also much nicer. Boards, trucks, wheels, are for the most part significantly better now. Which makes riding a larger size easier.

I totally get this, it's a big reason I'm back on an 8! Not meaning to sound rude.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9740 on: January 22, 2021, 04:20:27 PM »
I just came across this post from a while back from the guy who does his own board shapes, customised Ace inverted kingpin.

Looks like he did it right.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B__TYkzFm38/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9741 on: January 22, 2021, 04:24:55 PM »

anon

« Reply #9742 on: January 22, 2021, 06:23:43 PM »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqATfmjFnxd/
i tried krux kingpins without the washers and my top bushing fell off

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9743 on: January 22, 2021, 06:57:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
i tried krux kingpins without the washers and my top bushing fell off

He looked like he had quite a few modifications and I didn't want to post too many that he put up, but I could see the bushing getting smashed with the top head pulling through on a few of the posts.

Everyone can set their board up how they want, but I always thought it was very short lived to not have a metal washer on top, plain bushings and bones alike just get pulled through.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #9744 on: January 23, 2021, 12:15:01 PM »
Anyone running 139s on an 8.25? Been enjoying my screw around 8 inch deck recently, but I want to try out the 8.25 shape Polar does. I know Andrew Reynolds has always been on 139s on bigger boards, but I'm curious how the more average skater feels about this setup. The weight and height of standard 139's has just been feeling great.

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #9745 on: January 23, 2021, 12:38:48 PM »
Anyone running 139s on an 8.25? Been enjoying my screw around 8 inch deck recently, but I want to try out the 8.25 shape Polar does. I know Andrew Reynolds has always been on 139s on bigger boards, but I'm curious how the more average skater feels about this setup. The weight and height of standard 139's has just been feeling great.

Yeah I rock 139 venture on a 8.25 and it fells fine.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

ballintoohard

« Reply #9746 on: January 23, 2021, 01:48:44 PM »
I've ridden 139 on that Polar shape, but prefer the Polar 8" shape which is almost identical aside from the width and a 1/8" longer tail

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #9747 on: January 23, 2021, 02:27:51 PM »
Maybe this should go in the bearing thread, but does anyone not run inside axle washers? I used to run one as normal, but want to have my wheels a tiny bit more tucked in. Dont have shields, so those wont rub on the side of the hanger, I don't see anything else besides the inner bearing race making contact... is that a problem?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9748 on: January 23, 2021, 06:10:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I rock 139 venture on a 8.25 and it fells fine.

Big fan of those proportions. You can always docs your wheels a little further out with washers if you need as well.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9749 on: January 23, 2021, 06:51:53 PM »
I think on nine club they mention ishod runs this set up too...