Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231442 times)

chimps

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9960 on: March 26, 2021, 12:14:50 AM »
didn't want to make a new thread to ask but does indy make trucks without the cross logo on the baseplates now? at least partially? grabbed some indy reynolds 139s and noticed the cross isn't there. legit? fake? ordered them from the big zooooooomz

looks exactly like this:

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #9961 on: March 26, 2021, 12:25:34 AM »
didn't want to make a new thread to ask but does indy make trucks without the cross logo on the baseplates now? at least partially? grabbed some indy reynolds 139s and noticed the cross isn't there. legit? fake? ordered them from the big zooooooomz

looks exactly like this:

Looks pretty legit. The Big Z prolly ain’t dabbling in back door bootlegs, besides.
You can thank your friends at SLAP for having the iron cross removed.
May I say, I do believe it’s a better looking truck as result.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #9962 on: March 26, 2021, 12:32:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I set up a board for my wife today and used my 1997 Orions. Had to replace a kingpin and also wanted to replace the pivot cups but the hole in the mini logos are too narrow. What could I try?

For bushings I went with orange Indy stock bottom barrels and the blue Indy aftermarket top bushings. This was the only combo that fit, everything else was too high, at least if using washers.  I hope it will be turny enough as my wife is very light.
[close]

I am not sure if I understood that right, but to remove a pivot cup I always use a kingpin to angle the cup out of the baseplate.
[close]

I can remove it. I meant the hole where the pivot goes in is too narrow or in other words the Orion pivot is too fat to fit the Mini Logo cup.  :D
[close]

If the pivot cup is not completely blown out, I would leave it in place, as old parts and especially different old parts often have issues with things fitting, compared to new parts where almost everything is about the same dimensions.

Pics would really help though

Also re bushings, if she is very light, running without washers will work too.  It is not something I would normally do, but I know lots of the light weight kids I skate with leave off the bottom bushing washer, some even leave off both metal washers and they can still skate their boards fine.

My fix for those sort of boards is usually cut a mm off the top bushing and it still works perfectly, but I think leave off a washer and it should work better for your situation.

Thanks for the input mate. We‘ll see how it works out for the first sessions.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9963 on: March 26, 2021, 02:27:52 AM »
Expand Quote

looks exactly like this:

[close]
Looks pretty legit. The Big Z prolly ain’t dabbling in back door bootlegs, besides.

Sure is legit as they have removed any mention or look of the cross, as per Lou Strux comment.

Funny now to think that it causes people to question whether or not they are legit.

I wonder if it will also now easier to spot the fakes as they will have the new versions (colourways) with the cross still on them from when they made them however long ago, or at least see how long it takes them to catch on.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #9964 on: March 26, 2021, 03:14:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

looks exactly like this:

[close]
[close]

Sure is legit as they have removed any mention or look of the cross, as per Lou Strux comment.

Funny now to think that it causes people to question whether or not they are legit.

I wonder if it will also now easier to spot the fakes as they will have the new versions (colourways) with the cross still on them from when they made them however long ago, or at least see how long it takes them to catch on.
There are 6 crosses in that photo.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #9965 on: March 26, 2021, 04:47:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

looks exactly like this:

[close]
[close]

[close]

LOL. the number of the beast. #hellride

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #9966 on: March 26, 2021, 05:54:30 AM »

looks exactly like this:

Raw standards don't have a cross on the baseplate recently. Mids logo doesn't have a cross on it (the baseplates do though). They even proposed some Indy logos without the cross on Instagram not too long ago.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #9967 on: March 26, 2021, 09:00:55 AM »
Are Independent baseplates the same throughout sizes?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #9968 on: March 26, 2021, 09:34:07 AM »
Are Independent baseplates the same throughout sizes?

Standard cast ones differ only that 159s and 169s have the 6 hole pattern so they can be used on old-school decks as well. I believe 215s have a different length kingpin. 

Forged ones are the same throughout the sizes.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9969 on: March 26, 2021, 09:37:16 AM »
One thing I was thinking about today regarding Bones with no bottom washer being lower on some trucks: when you tighten a standard bushing they lose about a mm or close to the thickness of the washer. The Bones plastic insert prevents this so it’s likely the heights end up in the margin of measurement error.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #9970 on: March 26, 2021, 09:46:15 AM »
One thing I was thinking about today regarding Bones with no bottom washer being lower on some trucks: when you tighten a standard bushing they lose about a mm or close to the thickness of the washer. The Bones plastic insert prevents this so it’s likely the heights end up in the margin of measurement error.

If you tighten down the bones bushing the urethane squishes down as well so it would still be lower.

In most cases, using a bottom washer with bones keeps them the same height as as stock washer and bushing combo (on indy at least).

Again, tightening down a bushing with or without a washer, nets the same result.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 08:35:32 PM by Xen »

ballintoohard

« Reply #9971 on: March 26, 2021, 01:48:53 PM »
Measured with calipers my Thunders w/ stock bushings and with Bones and no lower washer are within hundreds of an inch. So they really don't change in height at all.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9972 on: March 26, 2021, 04:03:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

looks exactly like this:

[close]
[close]

[close]

Ha yes, but the whole thing with that logo being on the baseplate, or not being on the baseplate, was the main point.  Once the graphic is gone and the tags are removed, or more so on the standards with no other graphic to start with, they can say "What cross?" or whatever.

Novelty

« Reply #9973 on: March 26, 2021, 06:00:24 PM »
I've been seeing a mix of new trucks, some with and some without the cross on the baseplate. Even the photo above looks like it was photoshopped out. Pretty confusing since half the merch and clothing in their new catalog has some form of the cross still on it. Changing the colour of the cross in the newest branding / logos seems like a half hearted attempt to try and please everyone (let's make it green and yellow to try and hide it?). Also notice that over half of the latest pro truck graphics still have the cross in there somewhere. If I had to guess, I'd say they have no intention of ditching the cross and are just waiting out the current SJW frenzy and will bring it back fully at some point. I honestly can't see one of the most iconic brands in skating ditching one of the most iconic logos in skating.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #9974 on: March 27, 2021, 01:10:24 PM »
My suspicion is that Indy is softly retiring the iron cross logo. Mayb it won't be front and center in multiple locations on every single Independent Trucks product, but it'll still be around alongside some of their newer logos
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #9975 on: March 27, 2021, 06:46:54 PM »
Expand Quote

looks exactly like this:

[close]

Raw standards don't have a cross on the baseplate recently. Mids logo doesn't have a cross on it (the baseplates do though). They even proposed some Indy logos without the cross on Instagram not too long ago.
Got some Ti149 months ago without the cross too. I like the old vibe of it.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #9976 on: March 27, 2021, 07:02:41 PM »
on that picture you can see the cross very faintly

PMA

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9977 on: March 27, 2021, 08:05:44 PM »

are Indy standard stage 10s decent compared to current Indys?? I found a pair of 149s that were sitting in a box for ages unused.

currently setting them up on a barely used Anti-Hero eagle 8.5 with bones bearings equally old but still going and f4 conical fulls 53mm.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #9978 on: March 27, 2021, 08:25:18 PM »

are Indy standard stage 10s decent compared to current Indys?? I found a pair of 149s that were sitting in a box for ages unused.

currently setting them up on a barely used Anti-Hero eagle 8.5 with bones bearings equally old but still going and f4 conical fulls 53mm.

Turn is pretty sluggish compared with newer (or older) Indy's, but the baseplates don't explode like on Stage 9's, so that's a plus. And I think Bones bushings were designed specifically for Stage 10's.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #9979 on: March 28, 2021, 04:42:51 AM »
Yep it's definitely still there.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #9980 on: March 28, 2021, 05:12:05 AM »
You're totally right, so they're photoshopping it but when you get them you have the cross? That would suck.
Btw I'll go check my Ti149 in case they just painted them
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9981 on: March 28, 2021, 05:28:49 AM »

I still haven't seen any come through anywhere I go that are the new ones without the cross, so I guess we have old stock here, but how's this for two posts, one no crosses in sight, the other... 

Then the third post, third pic with the new polished without the cross too (a few frames in - not the Thunders on the first frame) but all of these from current drops of stock in the last day or so.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #9982 on: March 28, 2021, 06:57:54 AM »

I did not enjoy the look or the turn of these trucks. I recommend ditching them on eBay and going with the Stage 11
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #9983 on: March 28, 2021, 09:34:38 AM »
Just wanted to share that somehow I broke my US Indy 169 baseplate. Only just noticed it this morning :v

I have zero idea how this happened and it wasn't there last time I skated, so it must've happened then. No worries, I have spare baseplates anyhow.

LonleySk8er15

• Rep: 41
« Reply #9984 on: March 28, 2021, 12:29:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

looks exactly like this:

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Ha yes, but the whole thing with that logo being on the baseplate, or not being on the baseplate, was the main point.  Once the graphic is gone and the tags are removed, or more so on the standards with no other graphic to start with, they can say "What cross?" or whatever.
I just saw some hollow forged with the cross on the front removed, but the giant one bottom still there. Good one NHS, hiding all the visible crosses, but keeping a giant one hidden on underneath and close to the heart.

CBP

• Rep: 26
« Reply #9985 on: March 28, 2021, 01:29:36 PM »
Ace bushings in Indys?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #9986 on: March 28, 2021, 01:38:30 PM »
Ace bushings in Indys?

It's kind of a lateral move, once they're both broken in I found them pretty similar. Plus the stock Ace top is pretty tall for a set of Indy's, some people make it work though. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 01:58:21 PM by palelight »

Stlfromca

• Rep: 1
« Reply #9987 on: March 28, 2021, 04:08:58 PM »
After riding indys for the last couple boards ive been wanting to skate a lighter truck again. I have a set of 5.2 venture hi laying around and remember not being stoked on the turn compared to Indy. I removed the factory washers and bushings to be replaced by bones hard. I set this up with some 56mm spirfire F4 97d so i put some 1/16 dooks risers on for good measure. Skated it on a parking block today and wow. Im sold on this setup. The turn is significantly better than before and I am happy with the lighter truck setup even with big 56mm wheels. Only change with this setup i anticipate would be removal of risers when i wear the wheels down a couple mm next board setup. Flat top washers are game changers

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9988 on: March 28, 2021, 04:43:06 PM »
Just wanted to share that somehow I broke my US Indy 169 baseplate. Only just noticed it this morning :v

I have zero idea how this happened and it wasn't there last time I skated, so it must've happened then. No worries, I have spare baseplates anyhow.

Definitely a warranty thing - either contact your place of purchase, or send that pic along with any other info to NHS and you might get a baseplate in the mail.

Expand Quote

[close]
I just saw some hollow forged with the cross on the front removed, but the giant one bottom still there. Good one NHS, hiding all the visible crosses, but keeping a giant one hidden on underneath and close to the heart.

It is a funny one, but I think changing the front is easy compared to the whole underside of the forged plate!  :)

Not that it matters to me - the trucks turn and grind and hold up well, so I am happy with what I have.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #9989 on: March 28, 2021, 04:46:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Definitely a warranty thing - either contact your place of purchase, or send that pic along with any other info to NHS and you might get a baseplate in the mail.

It's all fine, these are second hand trucks I got about a year ago. Swapped the baseplate with another one I have and it's back to normal.