Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232581 times)

bbk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11010 on: March 13, 2022, 06:55:16 PM »
I like thunders without the bottom washer.

lurkpiv

• Rep: 4
« Reply #11011 on: March 13, 2022, 07:45:57 PM »
I like thunders without the bottom washer.

I’ve seen plenty of people who like running no bottom. I can only speak on my brief experience with it, but curious to hear what it feels like for other people and other setups, versus leaving it on.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 466
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11012 on: March 14, 2022, 06:48:15 AM »
I think a tapered boardside bushing is fine without a bottom washer because on most trucks the entirety of the contact surface is covered by the baseplate, the same as the washer would be, but I would never do it with a barrel bushing because it has no support.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #11013 on: March 14, 2022, 12:00:49 PM »
Is it normal for indys to be rather unstable? Say you drop a steep bank, and in the transition from bank to flat, they get very squirly when they get alot of load under them. While with my Thunders, its no problem

The stock bushings are definitely squirrely. I have to loosen them to the point where the nut is about to fall off to get the turn I want, but then they feel unstable on center. I put some Ace low bushings in mine and they feel a lot more stable. Still not turning like Ace, but good enough. I love Aces, but I switched back to Indy recently because they grind so much better.

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #11014 on: March 14, 2022, 12:31:16 PM »
I’m curious after watching part of that Gifted Hater truck video:

For trucks like Indy which have several height and weight options do people really notice that big of a difference? Hollows seem Barry lighter than standards but are in a different tier. And Ti aren’t different than forged hollow, but like 35g lighter a piece than standard hollows but same ranking? Then you have Thunders, which in Team versions weigh the same as Indy Forged Hollow and same WB but people say feel soooo much lighter.
My own opinion on this matter, and my takeaway from what they were saying in the video too, is that Indy Standards can be a little bit too heavy of a truck, so the Hollows are a great compromise between the weight of the Standards and the price of the Titaniums.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #11015 on: March 14, 2022, 12:50:52 PM »
Expand Quote

For trucks like Indy which have several height and weight options do people really notice that big of a difference? Hollows seem Barry lighter than standards but are in a different tier. And Ti aren’t different than forged hollow, but like 35g lighter a piece than standard hollows but same ranking? Then you have Thunders, which in Team versions weigh the same as Indy Forged Hollow and same WB but people say feel soooo much lighter.
[close]
My own opinion on this matter, and my takeaway from what they were saying in the video too, is that Indy Standards can be a little bit too heavy of a truck, so the Hollows are a great compromise between the weight of the Standards and the price of the Titaniums.

Hollows are just 13 grams heavier than Titanium Indys (335g to 348g for a 144). Standards jump up by nearly 40g (387g) for the equivalent truck. If I won the lottery or were sponsored, it’d be Ti Indys until I drew my last breath, but for as long as I’m buying trucks at retail it’s Hollows.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 12:58:20 PM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11016 on: March 14, 2022, 01:30:00 PM »
weird, I have Forged Ti and they feel too light and floaty. Definitely diminished pop feel. I have considered jumping back up to the standard plates.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #11017 on: March 14, 2022, 01:35:23 PM »
weird, I have Forged Ti and they feel too light and floaty. Definitely diminished pop feel. I have considered jumping back up to the standard plates.

Interesting. I've been riding Indy mid cast plates with thunder Ti hangers for the last few months. Feels great, but it's probably against the geneva convention. If there is a God, he's going to smite me.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11018 on: March 14, 2022, 01:49:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interesting. I've been riding Indy mid cast plates with thunder Ti hangers for the last few months. Feels great, but it's probably against the geneva convention. If there is a God, he's going to smite me.
Feels even dirtier than putting Indy bolts on my Aces

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11019 on: March 14, 2022, 01:59:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Blocked and reported

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #11020 on: March 14, 2022, 02:35:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Blocked and reported

Dr Moreau shit

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #11021 on: March 14, 2022, 02:39:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Hollows are just 13 grams heavier than Titanium Indys (335g to 348g for a 144). Standards jump up by nearly 40g (387g) for the equivalent truck. If I won the lottery or were sponsored, it’d be Ti Indys until I drew my last breath, but for as long as I’m buying trucks at retail it’s Hollows.

I just switched from Indy Forged Hollows to Indy Tis (got a set for christmas) and I haven't noticed a difference. Whenever I need new trucks I'll go back to the hollows.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #11022 on: March 14, 2022, 03:21:19 PM »

I think you came to the wrong place for an answer…..it all makes a big difference…

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11023 on: March 14, 2022, 04:31:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think you came to the wrong place for an answer…..it all makes a big difference…

So fucking true.

But for reals: I only notice a positive difference, on sizes above 8”. 8” trucks I prefer non hollow. On some trucks brands above 8” I appreciate the help with weight. I’m skating 149 cast thunders rn, and it’s fine, whereas for the equivalent size in ace or indy I might want something a bit lighter. I think a lot of it is in my head/also in the geometry of the truck that effects the pop, so some trucks can be heavier, feel lighter. Dunno. Once the trucks are like 9” wide I like the lighter stuff. I haven’t tried indy 149 ti, I’d maybe be into it, but I’m not super into indy so I’m not trying to go in for a $90 experiment.
Gibberish

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #11024 on: March 14, 2022, 04:44:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Unexplained allergic reactions = smote

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #11025 on: March 14, 2022, 04:48:22 PM »
Do you guys find much difference with a painted truck? 

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11026 on: March 14, 2022, 05:17:15 PM »
kind of sticky at first, once you get grooves it all goes away.

apart from that, the main impact of riding painted trucks is getting called a kook
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11027 on: March 14, 2022, 05:22:40 PM »
Put my Ti hangers on my Mid plates cuz I’ve never had actual normal Indy’s. Was a fun first session if anything the pop feel is heavier, but it was very easy to adapt to, and they feel fun. I would fucking laugh until the end of the time I’d the truck I prefer the most is the most basic one I avoided all these years for other random bullshit.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11028 on: March 14, 2022, 06:49:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

apart from that, the main impact of riding painted trucks is getting called a kook

Are colored trucks or colored wheels a bigger sin?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #11029 on: March 14, 2022, 07:33:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

both can be done tastefully
id rock swirl wheels
paint scraping off trucks kinda bug me
never owned a pair of either
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

MxsDx

• Rep: 98
« Reply #11030 on: March 14, 2022, 07:34:38 PM »
LAnyone have thoughts on differences/preferences as between indy forged hollows and standard hollows? Pop feel, stability, pinch etc?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11031 on: March 14, 2022, 08:19:51 PM »
I liked the feel/sound of cast hollows better. The forged plate sounds less good, feels less good. I can get past it, but if I could pick, the cast plate is better, for me. I think it’s strictly a familiarity thing, not unlike regular wooden boards: in the past I skated pretty well on some p2/lib tech boards…but they sound, feel…and look, fucked.
There is also a height difference between forged and cast plates to consider.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 05:42:34 AM by Ok »

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
« Reply #11032 on: March 14, 2022, 08:23:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

definitely wheels, on certain occasions trucks can be worked in well but coloured wheels are almost always jarring
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11033 on: March 14, 2022, 09:27:03 PM »
LAnyone have thoughts on differences/preferences as between indy forged hollows and standard hollows? Pop feel, stability, pinch etc?

I don't ride Indys but if I had to I'm rocking forged baseplates, not a fan of the tall 55mm height. Would like to have try a Indy Low when they were still in production, 48.5mm puts them in the Venture 5.2 Lo and Thunder 147 Standard territory.

https://www.longboarderlabs.com/product/independent-trucks-low-stg-11-standard-129mm-silver/
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #11034 on: March 15, 2022, 12:30:15 AM »
Is a hollow truck donezo when you grind it down to its hollow axle? If so the $88 Ti Indy doesn't seem so bad

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #11035 on: March 15, 2022, 06:36:49 AM »
I liked the feel/sound of cast hollows better. The forged plate sounds less good, feels less good. I can get past it, but if I could pick, the cast plate is better, for me. I think it’s strictly a familiarity thing, not unlike regular wooden boards: in the past I skated pretty well on some p2/lib tech boards…but they sound, feel…and look, fucked.
There is also a height difference between forged and cast plates to consider.

I think my preference for the Hollows compared to standards is actually due to the hight being a bit lower. I don't mind 55, but those 53,5mm are probably the sweet spot for me.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11036 on: March 15, 2022, 07:33:29 AM »
I’ve got a whopping single session on the cast Indy plates so far but it was really good. I actually didn’t notice the height in a negative way yet. It did stir up further madness for a moment thinking “shit I’m on 14.38 with cast and it feels great maybe I shouldn’t have sized up from. 14.25” but that went away quick. I think long term it will come down to these or Thunder cast as my preferred.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #11037 on: March 15, 2022, 07:48:22 AM »
Is a hollow truck donezo when you grind it down to its hollow axle? If so the $88 Ti Indy doesn't seem so bad

I’m pretty deep into the axle on my hollows and so far no issue. I kept thinking I’d see a little gap open or something. I’m going to keep running them until something cracks or breaks.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #11038 on: March 15, 2022, 08:12:33 AM »

Ti axles grab a bit more in my experience. If you're kinda lightweight like me they'll fuck up your balanced grinds.  :-\
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11039 on: March 15, 2022, 08:48:29 AM »

A hollow axle and a solid axle are more or less equivalent strength, but obviously the hollow axle will get weaker as you grind through its structure. I don’t think a few extra weeks on what is ostensibly a totally trashed truck is enough to justify doubling the price.