Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 324512 times)

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #3120 on: August 24, 2021, 09:31:48 PM »
Currently eyeing up some cupsoles to skate after I'm done mending a foot injury. Protection is a priority. Tiagos and Telfords are in the running. There's a chance my local has both of those, in which case I'd judge them purely on how they feel. I kinda like mids/highs lately, but the Tiagos are more visually appealing to me. Anyone have insight to guide this important decision?

Everyone's milage may vary with either..... but the Tiago feels more supportive than the Telford to me. The Telford has a super thin and flexible outsole. If bottom of foot cushion is important, the Tiagos are better. However, a thicker/denser insole swap can do the trick in the Telfords perhaps? That's what I have in my Sabbath Telfords: STI insoles from etnies and they feel pretty good walking around in.
Super Champion Fun Zone

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #3121 on: August 29, 2021, 06:09:08 AM »
anyone skate the Emerica Pillars? I normally skate high tops and mids, and the pillars are only 30 bucks with free shipping on emerica site. Been eying them and have them in my cart. Just not sure how they feel with that back ankle cutout they have. Are they a taller mid or more like a low thats a little higher? Do they run big or small? ANyone who has skated them or has them let me know what ya think of them please!

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #3122 on: August 29, 2021, 08:27:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Currently eyeing up some cupsoles to skate after I'm done mending a foot injury. Protection is a priority. Tiagos and Telfords are in the running. There's a chance my local has both of those, in which case I'd judge them purely on how they feel. I kinda like mids/highs lately, but the Tiagos are more visually appealing to me. Anyone have insight to guide this important decision?
[close]
Both shoes are great but I’ve really been loving the Telford lately. Tiagos kind of hurt the arch of my foot. The telfords feel and skate perfect straight out of the box. They feel mad supportive but not restricted on the ankle.
I second this. Currently my favorite shoe atm. Also they look good with jeans or shorts.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #3123 on: August 29, 2021, 09:20:14 AM »
anyone skate the Emerica Pillars? I normally skate high tops and mids, and the pillars are only 30 bucks with free shipping on emerica site. Been eying them and have them in my cart. Just not sure how they feel with that back ankle cutout they have. Are they a taller mid or more like a low thats a little higher? Do they run big or small? ANyone who has skated them or has them let me know what ya think of them please!

I got them TTS and they are suuuper long in the toe. I feel like 1/2 size down would be perfect, but I can't be certain. Heel lock feels fine, but the 'mid' aspect is just for looks (no actual support) so I'd say more like a low that's a little higher.

jsettle

« Reply #3124 on: August 29, 2021, 11:33:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I got them TTS and they are suuuper long in the toe. I feel like 1/2 size down would be perfect, but I can't be certain. Heel lock feels fine, but the 'mid' aspect is just for looks (no actual support) so I'd say more like a low that's a little higher.

Appreciate the info!

Rocko

• Rep: 38
« Reply #3125 on: August 29, 2021, 07:56:08 PM »
https://garageskateshop.com/products/krooked-eyes-pants

Thinking about getting these, anyone have em? If so are there any pants you know of that the fit is similar too?

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3126 on: August 29, 2021, 08:10:17 PM »
not skate related but the bob marley x ajax x adidas stuff .. probably gonna get the sambas .. wearing reggae colors in your 30s is quite cringe but i can’t help it they look good
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3127 on: September 05, 2021, 12:19:39 AM »
Tomorrow I'll hit my local to check on Last Resorts, pretty stoked about it.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #3128 on: September 05, 2021, 02:10:03 AM »
maybe this

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3129 on: September 06, 2021, 12:17:16 AM »
maybe this

Classic sambas? I tried them and loved them.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #3130 on: September 06, 2021, 01:13:02 AM »
not skate related but the bob marley x ajax x adidas stuff .. probably gonna get the sambas .. wearing reggae colors in your 30s is quite cringe but i can’t help it they look good

reggae colors in your 30s is dedication 8)
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #3131 on: September 11, 2021, 05:19:42 AM »
Was thinking of getting a Quasi because of the shape but the PS Stix factor holds me back because my GX1000 sogged out in 2 weeks.

Possibly trying a AWS & Spitfire 99a Tablets
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3132 on: September 15, 2021, 07:12:33 AM »
I'm ready to get hurt again and I'm kinda missing slip ons but I have trust issues since the skate update.
I had some sz 8, as always, skate slip ons and i couldn't even fit my foot on those things. This challenged to anybody else? I'm guessing the trick here is to size 0.5 up
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #3133 on: September 15, 2021, 07:35:11 AM »
Was thinking of getting a Quasi because of the shape but the PS Stix factor holds me back because my GX1000 sogged out in 2 weeks.

I just bought a AWS and it's the best of both worlds, BBS wood with the good wide "quasi" cough cough I mean og workshop shape.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #3134 on: September 17, 2021, 11:27:44 AM »
Does anyone know if there's a difference between the various R7 decks? I ask because Globe R7 blank ("Goodstock") decks are $35 with grip on Skate Warehouse, and if that's basically the same deck as an Enjoi or Almost, then I don't see why I wouldn't just start skating these exclusively.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3135 on: September 17, 2021, 11:43:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just bought a AWS and it's the best of both worlds, BBS wood with the good wide "quasi" cough cough I mean og workshop shape.

Love AWS boards. They recently went up from $55 to $63 at my local which is a bummer but I’m hooked now.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #3136 on: September 17, 2021, 02:26:03 PM »
Does anyone know if there's a difference between the various R7 decks? I ask because Globe R7 blank ("Goodstock") decks are $35 with grip on Skate Warehouse, and if that's basically the same deck as an Enjoi or Almost, then I don't see why I wouldn't just start skating these exclusively.

The Globe decks I have seen have been all natural ply, which often indicates lesser quality overall - pricepoint deck compared to a pro deck, but might still have the same construction method as the other boards, hence the R7, which is 7 layers of ply with resin used.

Without trying to read too much into it, simply give one a try and see if you notice any difference, then if you like it, you can save yourself some marketing and branding dollars, compared to pro wood, which has a company brand / guy's name on it, pretty colours in the ply, might last longer for some people than others, etc.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #3137 on: September 17, 2021, 04:23:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Globe decks I have seen have been all natural ply, which often indicates lesser quality overall

Can you explain why this is?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

jsettle

« Reply #3138 on: September 17, 2021, 06:58:09 PM »
Been eying one of the new polar p9 shaped decks from the latest release. They have the sick shin graphic in that shape with the wheel cut outs and a sick new oski graphic in that shape. Been abiut a yr since i rode a shaped deck. Wondering how 8.5 trucks will fit on this deck in the back since it looks fairly skinny back there

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3139 on: September 17, 2021, 07:10:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

The Globe decks I have seen have been all natural ply, which often indicates lesser quality overall
[close]

I’ve skated the globes and they are fine. R7 the two that I skated were the pearl slick decks that I got for $30 each before the pandemic. I liked them. Also YouTube is running a globe ad right now as I’m typing this.
I have also skated price point blind decks, and I think they use the worse wood on some of those. They still are stiff, Arron, and hold their pop. R7 is a good construction. They aren’t my favorite, I’m in the minority as I like ps the most for the flex, but the r7 are solid decks.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3140 on: September 17, 2021, 07:53:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I’ve skated the globes and they are fine. R7 the two that I skated were the pearl slick decks that I got for $30 each before the pandemic. I liked them. Also YouTube is running a globe ad right now as I’m typing this.
I have also skated price point blind decks, and I think they use the worse wood on some of those. They still are stiff, Arron, and hold their pop. R7 is a good construction. They aren’t my favorite, I’m in the minority as I like ps the most for the flex, but the r7 are solid decks.

I'll take R7 (not hybrid) over anything except maybe VX.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3141 on: September 17, 2021, 11:04:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

In terms of quality:
Resin Price Point - $35
Resin Hybrid - $50
Resin-7 - $60

If what @Mbrimson88 said is true (Globe uses undyed plys which affects strength), the the Globe ones probably 1/2 a tier below the standard R7. The ones with 1 color are passable as blank boards and I'd skate one over a Mini Logo at this point.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #3142 on: September 20, 2021, 04:24:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

R7 construction might be good.

The ply might be good, but more often than not, the plain / natural ply is used on the cheaper decks and the better quality ply is stained and then used on the pro wood.

This would line up with the price of the boards too - better wood on the more expensive pro boards, lesser quality wood on the cheaper pricepoint boards.

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #3143 on: September 20, 2021, 05:15:03 PM »
considering switching down to 8.5 FA from an 8.75 hockey. i really like this hockey board and im not sure if the decrease in wheelbase will be too much or not. for reference im 6'3 w size 13 us shoes. ive ridden 8.6's before but only with the longer wheelbase. i would want to go down for a more compact board and because 8.5's are so much more common with better graphics than 8.75 but im not sure to be honest. i'd be running it on af1 66s and worn down spitfires
niggling

[/quote]

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3144 on: September 27, 2021, 12:18:56 AM »
got a sudden urge to get an 8.38 for polishing/learning more flip tricks. some flatground is just harder to learn on a wider board so the idea is that i just translate shit over when im doing gaps, skating faster, more confident etc

gonna pick up a hockey 8.38 and some 5.8 raws sometime this week and go wild. should feel similar in weight to my 8.8/5.8 hollow setup
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #3145 on: September 27, 2021, 01:21:22 AM »
Two of these once they drop in Europe

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3146 on: October 04, 2021, 10:27:00 AM »
Debating if I want to give 54mm f4 99a conicals or 54mm OJ 95a nomads a shot. Wanting to skate more street. My buddy id skate spots with moved so I’ve been just hitting parks and the DIY. But last weekend I went solo and found a few spots with  kinda Midwest crust and shitty rough asphalt.  I’ve never skated conicals. I want to be able to slide still. So I’m kinda leaning towards conical. But idk. Any pals have suggestions? Pros/cons

sk8punk110

• Rep: -39
« Reply #3147 on: October 04, 2021, 10:47:33 AM »
Boutta buy some Tim o Connor savier trainers 4 the culture. 8)
My pillowcase is made out of griptape.  That core enough for your punk ass?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3148 on: October 04, 2021, 11:31:38 AM »
Debating if I want to give 54mm f4 99a conicals or 54mm OJ 95a nomads a shot. Wanting to skate more street. My buddy id skate spots with moved so I’ve been just hitting parks and the DIY. But last weekend I went solo and found a few spots with  kinda Midwest crust and shitty rough asphalt.  I’ve never skated conicals. I want to be able to slide still. So I’m kinda leaning towards conical. But idk. Any pals have suggestions? Pros/cons

Split the difference and get some 97a Conicals Spits. You can't go wrong with those or the OJ Nomads. I think the 97a Spits might be a little faster though...

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3149 on: October 04, 2021, 12:07:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Split the difference and get some 97a Conicals Spits. You can't go wrong with those or the OJ Nomads. I think the 97a Spits might be a little faster though...

I would really like the classic 97a classics. I really like classics shape. But my local don’t have any 97a spits.  They was gone so fast. I may try the other shop in town.