Author Topic: Independent trucks and racist ideology  (Read 97971 times)

Bobby Lashley

Re: Independent trucks and racist ideology
« Reply #450 on: June 12, 2020, 11:34:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Ace 144’s
You’ll never look back
[close]
drop the 1 dog. Indy got that shit burned in your brain.
got me there homes. My bad

CallMeDillo

« Reply #451 on: June 12, 2020, 12:05:58 PM »
The irony of putting a star of David over the Iron Cross is that the star of David was appropriated by a Nation that is well know for the genocide of Palestinian people.  That appropriating a symbol thing...murder a bunch of people thing....oh forget it....I'm sure I'm "reaching"

Here's some more fodder for the shit show....

Is the Birdman cancelled?   

Dig up Berra's interview where he says everything is "gay" about a million times.   Is Berra canc....oh wait sorry.   He was a long time ago I know.

get over yourself Israelites have been the victims of slaughter and destruction throughout history and want a nation to themselves. I say we let em have it. (also the Palestinian government had an entire olympic team of jews killed for no reason other than bigotry)

yourmumsballs

« Reply #452 on: June 13, 2020, 12:27:53 AM »
Over the years Independent look like they are actively trying to look as Nazi as possible...

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 12:32:58 AM by yourmumsballs »

KevinOHara

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -11
« Reply #453 on: June 13, 2020, 06:22:45 PM »
If they did change it, what do you think they would change it to?

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #454 on: June 13, 2020, 06:41:13 PM »
They should try to build on the lowercase i logo they used not too long ago. They need to just remove the iron cross as the dot

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #455 on: June 13, 2020, 06:50:08 PM »
what if they twisted the sides of the cross at right angles.to symbolize being on the right side of history

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #456 on: June 13, 2020, 08:54:15 PM »
Just bring back Orion trucks and get it over with. Those trucks were actually good.

Ventures are just bargain bin trucks with a merketing machine behind them.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #457 on: June 13, 2020, 08:56:17 PM »

Should vs Would is kind of interesting question to pose

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #458 on: June 14, 2020, 07:09:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Indeed. The should: they honestly don't need a logo. At all. "The Independent Truck Company" in some sort of font/framing like Harley would be enough. They're established enough to not need one. But the would: NHS's kitschy product line of absolute shit needs a logo for koozies and wall-clocks...so they probably wont change it. 

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #459 on: June 14, 2020, 07:14:32 AM »
Just bring back Orion trucks and get it over with. Those trucks were actually good.

I’d really like if Fury made a comeback as well. I used to love those EVO’s.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #460 on: June 14, 2020, 08:15:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Indeed. The should: they honestly don't need a logo. At all. "The Independent Truck Company" in some sort of font/framing like Harley would be enough. They're established enough to not need one. But the would: NHS's kitschy product line of absolute shit needs a logo for koozies and wall-clocks...so they probably wont change it.

Yeah they make too much that is juuuuuuust adjacent to some wack shit with their imagery.

The lower case i, no logo, the Harley font, a fucking bald eagle....., a Peterbilt style truck, Peace sign, weed leaf, Lawnmower, lots of options, none of them great for independent. I’m not sure if there is an example of a successful company changing its branding due to social awareness. I don’t think they will change, maybe just run the green and yellow for awhile, but red/black will comeback no doubt.

There is a lot of more pressing issues out there.
Still not cool indy

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #461 on: June 14, 2020, 08:36:17 AM »

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #462 on: June 14, 2020, 08:39:08 AM »
The irony of putting a star of David over the Iron Cross is that the star of David was appropriated by a Nation that is well know for the genocide of Palestinian people.  That appropriating a symbol thing...murder a bunch of people thing....oh forget it....I'm sure I'm "reaching"

Dig up Berra's interview where he says everything is "gay" about a million times.   Is Berra canc....oh wait sorry.   He was a long time ago I know.
Old Powell graphics having subtle racist symbology has definitely been discussed before, in some documentary but I can’t remember which one.  The spade behind Steve Steadham’s skull graphic was also pointed out and was something Steve was opposed to.

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -423
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #463 on: June 14, 2020, 09:31:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Old Powell graphics having subtle racist symbology has definitely been discussed before, in some documentary but I can’t remember which one.  The spade behind Steve Steadham’s skull graphic was also pointed out and was something Steve was opposed to.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #464 on: June 16, 2020, 10:03:08 AM »
poop back and forth is my favorite video on the internet. for life

Spunkchild

• Rep: 38
  • Big gal
« Reply #465 on: June 16, 2020, 10:08:34 AM »
Fuck biker/surf nazis

Fuck powell, fuck fausto i spit on his grave and indy.
I have bad taste and I smell like fetta cheese

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #466 on: June 16, 2020, 10:16:23 AM »
Companies coming out of 70s California were not surprisingly big on Nazi imagery- 70s and 80s CA was nazi land. Vans manages to not put nazi logos on everything (yes I know about the TNT shoes with Indy logos on them) while still maintaining some history so it can be done. Anyway Indy should move on. Replace their logo with a screaming foot or something

I-HATE-YOU

• Rep: -35
« Reply #467 on: June 16, 2020, 12:55:27 PM »
This got me thinking, as the other day Ed Templeton posted photos from a pro-trump rally and one of the marchers was wearing an Independent jacket.  To non-skaters, does the Indy cross come across as a racist symbol?  Would you wear an Indy shirt in Trump's America?  The Manolo/Ben K thread made some points, like don't look like a nazi if you don't want to be lumped in with nazi's.  Does the same hold true for Indy gear?  Yes, it's a different cross, but still... Curious to hear the Pal's thoughts.

So because that person was at a trump rally, that instantly makes them racist? They couldn’t just like the brand? If someone uses a car to run people over, does the car company now stand for that persons beliefs? I shouldn’t have to say this, but I am not a trump supporter, so if you plan on using that as an insult, it will not work. What has trump done that proves him a white supremacist or racist? What verifiable, proven facts? Not just accusations.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #468 on: June 16, 2020, 01:12:36 PM »
Expand Quote
This got me thinking, as the other day Ed Templeton posted photos from a pro-trump rally and one of the marchers was wearing an Independent jacket.  To non-skaters, does the Indy cross come across as a racist symbol?  Would you wear an Indy shirt in Trump's America?  The Manolo/Ben K thread made some points, like don't look like a nazi if you don't want to be lumped in with nazi's.  Does the same hold true for Indy gear?  Yes, it's a different cross, but still... Curious to hear the Pal's thoughts.
[close]

So because that person was at a trump rally, that instantly makes them racist? They couldn’t just like the brand? If someone uses a car to run people over, does the car company now stand for that persons beliefs? I shouldn’t have to say this, but I am not a trump supporter, so if you plan on using that as an insult, it will not work. What has trump done that proves him a white supremacist or racist? What verifiable, proven facts? Not just accusations.
Lol you guys always play this game “name some facts, all of which I will call FAKE”. Grow up man, Trump is racist, if you support him you’re racist too. Most of America can see it so you’re not fooling anyone
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 01:29:09 PM by SatanicPanic »

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #469 on: June 16, 2020, 01:20:45 PM »
Putting a Star of David on your Indy's is really making a statement and sticking it to the man.

If you want people and companies to change, vote with your money.

This applies doubly if you're a well-respected skate shop and skate shop owner.

I mean, I know we all have our preferences, and we're all very particular, but honestly, do you REALLY care about your trucks that much that you want to make some kind of statement but not enough to actually switch over to another brand? This is Instagram politics in a nutshell.

Are Indy's inherently racist? Is the company itself? Probably not, no. Did they have several meetings about maybe feeling like they seemed a bit racist, but decided, ultimately, that if people liked their logo-adorned products enough to keep buying them by the bucket load, who cares? Certainly.

Do they have ready-made press releases to send out anytime someone asks about racist or hateful imagery, which kind implies they know all this and don't really give a fuck? Sure.

And does wearing an Indy shirt or riding their trucks make you racist? Definitely not.

Have racists and fuckheads bought Independent branded product just because it was an easy and relatively cheap way to give off a certain "vibe"? For sure.

Have Independent made loads of money that way? Oh, definitely.

They might change the logo, but it won't ever change the fact they were fine with that, and happy to make a profit off of it until the world changed and they got called out.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Dorje Drolo

• Rep: -56
« Reply #470 on: June 16, 2020, 05:08:27 PM »
This is all so mind boggling. NHS donates 100K to the ACLU which no other skate brand has done and people are still out with pitch forks. That seems like the exact opposite of a brand having racist ideology. Back when all that shit came to light with 1010 what did they do, booted him. They have a diverse team, support skating/shops, sponsor events, tours, etc but apparently have this racist agenda. Which stems from their logo which is in fact a Alissee Cross. Not an iron cross or a swastika but a cross that has been used for centuries. It's on the Pope's vestments. Give it a rest already. Shit Thunder trucks has crossed hammers and lighting bolts in their logo. Are we gonna start in on them next? I hope not cause they are a skateboard truck company just like the rest of them. All this hate is insane. Direct that shit at the establishment, police, government, but leave it out of skating. If you think Indy or any other skate brand is the enemy get your head checked. There's far worst things out there to get triggered over.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2204
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #471 on: June 16, 2020, 11:49:51 PM »
This is all so mind boggling. NHS donates 100K to the ACLU which no other skate brand has done and people are still out with pitch forks. That seems like the exact opposite of a brand having racist ideology. Back when all that shit came to light with 1010 what did they do, booted him. They have a diverse team, support skating/shops, sponsor events, tours, etc but apparently have this racist agenda. Which stems from their logo which is in fact a Alissee Cross. Not an iron cross or a swastika but a cross that has been used for centuries. It's on the Pope's vestments. Give it a rest already. Shit Thunder trucks has crossed hammers and lighting bolts in their logo. Are we gonna start in on them next? I hope not cause they are a skateboard truck company just like the rest of them. All this hate is insane. Direct that shit at the establishment, police, government, but leave it out of skating. If you think Indy or any other skate brand is the enemy get your head checked. There's far worst things out there to get triggered over.
And, one could argue, far more important things to get triggered over.
Eyes forward, keep moving, focus on the target. There are REAL issues still to be addressed, meanwhile folks are getting distracted by fuck all who knows what's next. Want to watch the small gains made in the last few weeks dissolve? G'head & chase 45 year old decisions of questionable/poor taste from a skate brand's art dept. rather than holding violent fucks accountable for executions outside of due process. Lots of mud made here on SLAP about this, but how much of it is getting thrown at police departments that back up murderous cops?
This shit isn't going to fix itself without your help, but it sure as hell isn't going to get better anytime soon if we're busy bickering over an indy logo.
Besides, if you need to buy a made in China truck, you can always put your dollars on ACE.
Just wait for their redesign, complete w/ tottenkopf logos on the base plates.  ;)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

peengod

• Rep: 0
« Reply #472 on: June 17, 2020, 06:23:37 PM »
Companies coming out of 70s California were not surprisingly big on Nazi imagery- 70s and 80s CA was nazi land. Vans manages to not put nazi logos on everything (yes I know about the TNT shoes with Indy logos on them) while still maintaining some history so it can be done. Anyway Indy should move on. Replace their logo with a screaming foot or something

Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel like the association to JJ alone makes the logo appear to be in poor taste. Doesn't really seem worth it keeping an outdated symbol.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #473 on: June 17, 2020, 07:32:35 PM »

I’m not proud to say when I owned a shop I sold the shit out of those

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #474 on: June 18, 2020, 01:33:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel like the association to JJ alone makes the logo appear to be in poor taste. Doesn't really seem worth it keeping an outdated symbol.
Thanks and for the record I’m not say no one ride Indys- I... ride Indys. Just think it’s time to move on to another logo.

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #475 on: June 18, 2020, 01:44:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You sure about that? It seems like it would make sense, as spade can be used as a racial slur, but Steve himself used the spade imagery in his own design for his own company, Steadham Designs:

Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #476 on: June 18, 2020, 02:11:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
And, one could argue, far more important things to get triggered over.
Eyes forward, keep moving, focus on the target. There are REAL issues still to be addressed, meanwhile folks are getting distracted by fuck all who knows what's next. Want to watch the small gains made in the last few weeks dissolve? G'head & chase 45 year old decisions of questionable/poor taste from a skate brand's art dept. rather than holding violent fucks accountable for executions outside of due process. Lots of mud made here on SLAP about this, but how much of it is getting thrown at police departments that back up murderous cops?
This shit isn't going to fix itself without your help, but it sure as hell isn't going to get better anytime soon if we're busy bickering over an indy logo.
Besides, if you need to buy a made in China truck, you can always put your dollars on ACE.
Just wait for their redesign, complete w/ tottenkopf logos on the base plates.  ;)
I have some Indy, venture and krux.  My favorite trucks are thunders.  I rode some aces on a friend’s board and they seemed super turny but it could of just been set up on a board with a short wheelbase

getdatshrimp

• Rep: 11
« Reply #477 on: June 18, 2020, 02:18:04 PM »
poop back and forth is my favorite video on the internet. for life

))<>((

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #478 on: June 19, 2020, 07:29:08 AM »

swordtechnique

• Rep: -56
« Reply #479 on: June 19, 2020, 07:33:48 AM »
Expand Quote
You motherfuckers owe me an apology.
[close]

Who are you? why do you deserve an apology?