Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 541912 times)

sammyz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #2850 on: January 25, 2021, 12:43:20 AM »
i think i did a bad thing...but i think i did a good thing too...

just ordered this...

10 X 31.5 X 14.5 (or 13.9)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2851 on: January 25, 2021, 01:45:19 AM »
i think i did a bad thing...but i think i did a good thing too...

just ordered this...

10 X 31.5 X 14.5 (or 13.9)

Frankie Hill from OCD shop?  I saw they just got in a whole lot more Powell product and most is already sold out.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

sammyz

« Reply #2852 on: January 25, 2021, 02:24:07 AM »
Yeah man for OCD...they sold pretty quick...Bucky and Cab already sold out! Crazy how quick its gone

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2853 on: January 25, 2021, 08:08:18 AM »
Yeah man for OCD...they sold pretty quick...Bucky and Cab already sold out! Crazy how quick its gone

Unfortunately a good amount of those boards get taken up by scalpers :(

Can't wait to see how you set yours up!

sexhaver2006

• Rep: -13
« Reply #2854 on: January 25, 2021, 06:05:58 PM »
Are there any Dane 1's out still out there? Had one a while ago and am missing it quite a bit.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2855 on: January 27, 2021, 05:27:52 PM »
10.25”

kimura

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2856 on: January 28, 2021, 08:42:31 PM »
Heroin Mutant
215’s
Bones Hard Bushings
1/4” Indy risers
58mm Street Scoundrel wheels
Mob

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 06:03:53 PM by kimura »

kimura

« Reply #2857 on: January 28, 2021, 08:49:59 PM »
Waiting to be ridden.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 06:02:34 PM by kimura »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2858 on: January 29, 2021, 08:35:43 AM »
@kimura bones hard in the 215? How are 1/4” risers with Indy standards... seems higher than I’d be comfortable with, maybe not though.
Nice stuff. Is that 35th board a 9” pop? Don’t see it online.

kimura

« Reply #2859 on: January 29, 2021, 08:39:58 AM »
@kimura bones hard in the 215? How are 1/4” risers with Indy standards... seems higher than I’d be comfortable with, maybe not though.

Yup I’m a big boy and the Bones hard bushings don’t blow out on me. They work great. I like the risers on my big board to help with nose slappies and less wheelbite.

That is a 9” pop shop deck from 35th North.

Fhk

« Reply #2860 on: January 29, 2021, 08:49:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Whats the length and wb on the 35th North deck? Thank you

Edit: @jay_nev I found it one there but it is sold out in 9..they do have 8.75 in stock

kimura

« Reply #2861 on: January 29, 2021, 09:01:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Edit: @jay_nev I found it one there but it is sold out in 9..they do have 8.75 in stock
33” length and 15” wb

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #2862 on: January 29, 2021, 10:12:11 AM »
Even with the shortened wheelbase, this Black Label Lance board was just too much board. It was barely getting any use in my quiver.
It's been replaced with a Heroin Craig Scott. Possibly the most verbose graphic ever? Looks really fun.
14.125 WB
169s
F4 60mm classic
1/8 riser

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2863 on: January 29, 2021, 10:19:25 AM »
Speaking of heroin - dead dave pro boards - shitty screenshot from heroin IG live

Apparently going live on slugger store

Fhk

« Reply #2864 on: January 29, 2021, 11:29:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
33” length and 15” wb
Thank you man!

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2865 on: January 29, 2021, 11:39:14 AM »

Double shovel 9” and mutant 10”
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 12:17:27 PM by jay_nev »

KillDayoy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #2866 on: January 29, 2021, 11:50:50 AM »
Looking forward to getting my hands on that double shovel!

sammyz

« Reply #2867 on: January 30, 2021, 04:49:39 PM »
Set up the frankie hill deck...

Gonna be interesting...its a little shorter at 31.5 and the tail has so much flat before getting turned up. Trucks im not sure about yet, put 159’s which seem ok as i like them a little set in to the deck, but might have to switch 169’s.

Anyway...
10x31.5x14.5
Indy 159 Barbee’s
OJ dressen 53mm 101a
Mob grip
Bones hard bushings and bones big balls

Fhk

« Reply #2868 on: January 30, 2021, 04:56:26 PM »
^ holyshit.

Edit: the way it tapers out towards the nose is going to be so fun for kickflips..I have never wanted to skate someone else's setup on here as much as this one.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2869 on: January 30, 2021, 05:18:03 PM »
Dope. I was not expecting that deck to have a nose like that! Looks perfect with the 159s too.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

animalflesh

« Reply #2870 on: January 30, 2021, 06:18:46 PM »
Sick setup!

sammyz

« Reply #2871 on: January 30, 2021, 08:07:04 PM »
Thanks for all the comments...i have to wait till tomorrow night to skate it...im pretty stoked to try it out for sure...will report back

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #2872 on: January 31, 2021, 04:32:26 PM »

Gonna be interesting...its a little shorter at 31.5 and the tail has so much flat before getting turned up.

Let us know how it works out for you with that much flat.

This deck (and a couple other reissues) use the K-15 concave. It's the concave they used on their older popsicles 8.25" and over, as well as some of the bigger modern shaped decks (9.26 Cab) before they came out with the K-21 mold.

The 8.25 popsicle had a 14.375" wheelbase and a lot of flat before the kicks. I did not like it. I stopped skating the board before it was dead just because I couldn't get used to the fingers of flat.

The 8.5" had a 15" wheelbase and had a much more appropriate feel to me.    That concave can do up to a 15.75" wheelbase - but at that end it would have no flat.   14.75-15.25 is probably the sweet zone for that mold.

I like Powell, but they do have a limited number of mold shapes. Some of the other molds that would be more appropriate for this shorter wheelbase (K-12 and K-20) can only do up to a 9" wide deck.  And they don't seem to do much in the 14.5-14.75 wheelbase range.

Fhk

« Reply #2873 on: January 31, 2021, 05:03:27 PM »
Expand Quote

Gonna be interesting...its a little shorter at 31.5 and the tail has so much flat before getting turned up.
[close]

Let us know how it works out for you with that much flat.

This deck (and a couple other reissues) use the K-15 concave. It's the concave they used on their older popsicles 8.25" and over, as well as some of the bigger modern shaped decks (9.26 Cab) before they came out with the K-21 mold.

The 8.25 popsicle had a 14.375" wheelbase and a lot of flat before the kicks. I did not like it. I stopped skating the board before it was dead just because I couldn't get used to the fingers of flat.

The 8.5" had a 15" wheelbase and had a much more appropriate feel to me.    That concave can do up to a 15.75" wheelbase - but at that end it would have no flat.   14.75-15.25 is probably the sweet zone for that mold.

I like Powell, but they do have a limited number of mold shapes. Some of the other molds that would be more appropriate for this shorter wheelbase (K-12 and K-20) can only do up to a 9" wide deck.  And they don't seem to do much in the 14.5-14.75 wheelbase range.
Its funny that you mentioned that it has that much flat, because was thinking 6.1s would be my choice if I set one up. Damn it now I want it even more..

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2874 on: January 31, 2021, 06:56:26 PM »
I love the polar 9 popsicle. Nice long tail(almost 7”)
Polar klez 9 x 32.5 14.5 wb
Thunder team 151 hollow w/supercush 94a green
Spitfire f4 og classic 99a 55mm
Olympia ceramic bearings
Bender 1” allen
Mob
Rad rails
Nike Sb Bruin/dunk/blazer

did you have to swap the bottom thunder washer to fit the 94a barrel bushing? Just curious because the stock thunder bushings are conical and the supercush doesn’t fit w the stock washer. The thunder replacement bushings match, supercush dont.

Didn’t realize at first and the 94a bottom spilled over the washer. Swapped with a bottom venture washer and looks fine now. Just curious if you had similar issue. Taking inspiration from your heroin and now this polar w the 9” and 151
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 08:43:02 PM by jay_nev »

sammyz

« Reply #2875 on: February 01, 2021, 03:22:58 AM »
Ok Frankie Hill update.

I skated it tonight...was lots of fun. Feet position had to change a lot. I usually have my back foot down the kick on other decks, but with this i had take all the way up to the edge...it reminded me of how i use to skate (learned to skate) in the 80’s. When i got that everything worked pretty much the same way and the short kick and long flat wasn’t a consideration.

Kickflips feel really good as do shuvs...no comply’s are awesome as are fakie ollies and fakie fs ollies. The extra room for front foot makes everything comfy and safe! Dont ask me about other tricks, because that basically all my tricks!! But i have to say i had pretty high ollies, maybe its new board or something else.

The only issue i have with it is the length of board, I’m always fearing my back foot coming off the edge of tail or landing a trick and missing the board with my foot.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2876 on: February 01, 2021, 05:36:49 AM »
Ok Frankie Hill update.

I skated it tonight...was lots of fun. Feet position had to change a lot. I usually have my back foot down the kick on other decks, but with this i had take all the way up to the edge...it reminded me of how i use to skate (learned to skate) in the 80’s. When i got that everything worked pretty much the same way and the short kick and long flat wasn’t a consideration.

Kickflips feel really good as do shuvs...no comply’s are awesome as are fakie ollies and fakie fs ollies. The extra room for front foot makes everything comfy and safe! Dont ask me about other tricks, because that basically all my tricks!! But i have to say i had pretty high ollies, maybe its new board or something else.

The only issue i have with it is the length of board, I’m always fearing my back foot coming off the edge of tail or landing a trick and missing the board with my foot.

I had a black one of these as a kid, but when I stood on one many years ago I thought I would never want to ride one again, just the feel of them, as well as seeing the flat and steep kicks.  Might be I am spoilt for choice nowdays and think how much more comfortable things like the AH Brown Bomber concave is to me, along with others like the Black Label Lance Mountain rat deck I have set up as a cruiser, or similar concave boards (anything on BBS wood that is).

Glad it works for you though, as that is all that matters. Looks so good as others have said with the grip job too!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2877 on: February 01, 2021, 11:58:21 AM »
I’d have thought you’d need to receipt that back truck down a bit. Cool shape.

sammyz

« Reply #2878 on: February 01, 2021, 01:07:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Ok Frankie Hill update.

[close]

I had a black one of these as a kid, but when I stood on one many years ago I thought I would never want to ride one again, just the feel of them, as well as seeing the flat and steep kicks.  Might be I am spoilt for choice nowdays and think how much more comfortable things like the AH Brown Bomber concave is to me, along with others like the Black Label Lance Mountain rat deck I have set up as a cruiser, or similar concave boards (anything on BBS wood that is).

Glad it works for you though, as that is all that matters. Looks so good as others have said with the grip job too!

Tbh, nothing beats the Brown Bomber for me either...this is a nice change before i get back to them. Also compared to the Black Label rat deck, its much more nimble...i loved the feel of that black label deck too, but i think when you get to 10” wide the length and wheelbase needs to be this short just to make it manageable...always found the black label really heavy and struggled to get it off the ground.

kimura

« Reply #2879 on: February 01, 2021, 03:08:37 PM »
They need to drop some more brown bombers ASAP.