Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533923 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 751
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5100 on: November 16, 2022, 12:47:39 PM »
The Brue Killer I posted in the set up thread made me a fan of steep kicks so I looked into getting one for my main board. Was hoping for a normal popsicle but local was kind of short in that area but they had a ton of reissues.

Santa Cruz Tom Knox Punk Reissue 9.89" x 31.75" with 14.25" wheelbase
Independent x Toy Machine 159 Standards with Winkowski Hollow baseplates and Indy 92a aftermarket bushings
Bones Super Reds Ceramics
Powell Peralta Dragon Formula 56mm 93a - about 53mm now
Independent 1" hardware
MOB

The deck has the Cruz Missile Concave which feels insane. Not sure if I like it for sure yet, but wow steep kicks just work so well for me. I think I'm over mellow/flat decks for good.

nekro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #5101 on: November 17, 2022, 12:05:42 AM »
The Brue Killer I posted in the set up thread made me a fan of steep kicks so I looked into getting one for my main board. Was hoping for a normal popsicle but local was kind of short in that area but they had a ton of reissues.

Independent x Toy Machine 159 Standards with Winkowski Hollow baseplates and Indy 92a aftermarket bushings
Independent 1" hardware
MOB

The deck has the Cruz Missile Concave which feels insane. Not sure if I like it for sure yet, but wow steep kicks just work so well for me. I think I'm over mellow/flat decks for good.

Concave looks savage!  :o

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #5102 on: November 17, 2022, 01:13:33 AM »

If you have a zogger shaped hole in your life, fill it, but it's not going to be something you pick over any other board most of the time.

Already took the plunge. Shape made me laugh out loud when I first saw it and I think it's gonna be a good board for bullshitting around in my local parking lot. Haven't decided if I'm gonna run it with AF1 77s or Classic 55s, but I'm gonna experiment with it once the weather clears up.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 04:17:22 AM by djoekr »
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5103 on: November 17, 2022, 07:26:45 AM »
Blast is stocking up on the Snelling boards. You better be quick:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClDuLOAoPUz/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Donald Quinelle

« Reply #5104 on: November 17, 2022, 12:03:41 PM »
9.125 Enjoi Pilz
ACE AF1 55
Swiss
Powell Dragon 54
Gay for Moleman sticker

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5105 on: November 18, 2022, 12:09:01 PM »

Independent 1" hardware
MOB

+1
definitely gonna need an update on how it skates
been eyeing it for a minute, but if its a one off i gotta pass
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5106 on: November 19, 2022, 01:43:05 PM »
might also get an answer here
anyone redrill their board by 1/4” (+/-) and have any issues?
is wood filler a good idea to add strength?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5107 on: November 19, 2022, 03:10:55 PM »

It does seem a little too close, compared to the 3/8" distance that the six hole baseplates give, but I know people who have done it and not had issues.

If I recall, someone on here did break through the other sets of holes, but that was when the board shot straight into a curb or something that might not be quite "normal use" but I didn't go looking.

I have a Deathwish board here that is double drilled 1/4" apart on the nose and it looks like it would hold up well enough.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5108 on: November 19, 2022, 04:00:21 PM »

I bought this setup for my birthday on November 2nd but I couldn't skate until today.
- 9" Black Label Suffer: My first football shape but I felt confortable all along. I was doing ollies, manuals and fakie shove its only.
- Ace AF1 55: My first push was WTF is this! They felt really loose but got used to it after a minute. Now I love them!
- Spitfire F4 Radials 52mm 101d: Just... wheels.
- Bronson G2: Smooth.
- 1/8 Ace risers: Just... risers.
- Jessup grip (tail), generic and shitty clear grip from Murasaki Sports (middle), Shake Junt (nose)

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #5109 on: November 19, 2022, 04:29:26 PM »
Expand Quote

Independent 1" hardware
MOB

[close]
+1
definitely gonna need an update on how it skates
been eyeing it for a minute, but if its a one off i gotta pass

I’ve got one of those about skated up.  The “Cruz Missile 2” is pretty unique. I remember it and some other NHS fancy concaves from back in the day. The  bends are definitely more beveled/faceted rather than radiused. Last inch or so of the tail has an extra kick to it that makes it pretty steep & wrecks my back knee if I don’t keep in front of it. Total bitch to grip - those little angles just want your grip to pucker. The blue Knox is a little different from other Cruz missile 2’s I’ve seen and skated in that it has little to no rocker. I rode a winkowski with the parrot graphic that definitely had the rocker and the last batch of sea foam green/pink/peach Knoxeseses definitely had it too. Rocker is the best.

Edit to clarify: it seems Cruz missile 2 is usually in the line up most drops, but may not always be exactly the same.

TomBes

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5110 on: November 19, 2022, 10:22:10 PM »
Zip Zogger.
Indy 215s.
Ricta clouds 54 Chromes to keep the shinyness going.
1/4" risers.
It's the nicest riding board I have. I was surprised the carve beat the feel of my ace classic 66s.
Very fun at crusty curb spots.
Long time listener first time caller.

sirhcus

« Reply #5111 on: November 20, 2022, 10:53:37 PM »
Built this for my friend.

Jessup griptape
9.75 inch Polar deck
1 1/4" Shorty's hardware
1/4" Indy riserpads
169 Indy trucks
Bones Big Balls bearings
some bearing spacers
59mm OJ super juice wheels

Had to tighten both trucks about 3x good turns cuz they were loose af for him.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #5112 on: November 21, 2022, 02:59:26 AM »

I bought this setup for my birthday on November 2nd but I couldn't skate until today.
- 9" Black Label Suffer: My first football shape but I felt confortable all along. I was doing ollies, manuals and fakie shove its only.
- Ace AF1 55: My first push was WTF is this! They felt really loose but got used to it after a minute. Now I love them!
- Jessup grip (tail), generic and shitty clear grip from Murasaki Sports (middle), Shake Junt (nose)

You get an A+ for color coordination. Beautiful.
I see guys do this often where they get 8,5” trucks for a 9+” board, what’s the deal?

Is it for lower weight or easier flipping?
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5113 on: November 21, 2022, 05:07:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I see guys do this often where they get 8,5” trucks for a 9+” board, what’s the deal?

Taper. Dunno what that width is at the trucks but many are far narrower at the trucks than the widest part and I at least don’t like hot dogging one bit. I’ve hit my foot in my back wheel too many times doing that while having trucks too wide for the deck width at the back truck.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 100
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5114 on: November 21, 2022, 08:36:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It does seem a little too close, compared to the 3/8" distance that the six hole baseplates give, but I know people who have done it and not had issues.

If I recall, someone on here did break through the other sets of holes, but that was when the board shot straight into a curb or something that might not be quite "normal use" but I didn't go looking.

I have a Deathwish board here that is double drilled 1/4" apart on the nose and it looks like it would hold up well enough.

I've also drilled 1/4" and had no issues.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #5115 on: November 21, 2022, 08:39:12 AM »

For eggs and football shapes, you want your trucks narrower than the width at the wide point due to the taper.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #5116 on: November 21, 2022, 11:49:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Taper. Dunno what that width is at the trucks but many are far narrower at the trucks than the widest part and I at least don’t like hot dogging one bit. I’ve hit my foot in my back wheel too many times doing that while having trucks too wide for the deck width at the back truck.

Expand Quote

[close]

For eggs and football shapes, you want your trucks narrower than the width at the wide point due to the taper.

Aaah, thanks you guys. Once in a while I’ll hit my back wheel pushing, even though I’m barely hot-rodding.
But I could see how it would be extra precarious on footeggs.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #5117 on: November 21, 2022, 06:36:08 PM »
Expand Quote

Krooked Dan Drehobl shape 9.25”
Ace AF1 55s
Real 3 ply risers
Jessup Ultragrip decorated by my girlfriend
Spitfire F4 99A 58mm OG Classics
Bones Swiss Six
Pig rails
Some old bolts

Had this as my cruiser with Ace 55 Classics and 60mm Ricta Clouds for quite a while. Took it off a good while ago and regripped. The 55 classics were too wide for it as it tapers to 8.5” at the back.

Set it up as my main whip now and it’s amazing. Really like the shape. Had a Welcome Nora before this which I couldn’t get along with.
[close]
That grip is amazing! Good to know about the taper too! I’m a big fan of Ace 55 AF1s and i’ve been eyeing that shape for awhile now! How’s the tail on it?
@Roisto Dont know if you can help me out but if youve had the chance to skate an egg shape 9-9.1-9.25 how would you say the board skates?? I bought a Drehobl shape a few months back and Im waiting to set it up after the current egg Im riding and would like to know how it compares. Anyone else feel free to chime in too haha

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5118 on: November 21, 2022, 09:29:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace AF1 55s
Real 3 ply risers
Bones Swiss Six
Pig rails
Some old bolts

Had this as my cruiser with Ace 55 Classics and 60mm Ricta Clouds for quite a while. Took it off a good while ago and regripped. The 55 classics were too wide for it as it tapers to 8.5” at the back.

Set it up as my main whip now and it’s amazing. Really like the shape. Had a Welcome Nora before this which I couldn’t get along with.
[close]
That grip is amazing! Good to know about the taper too! I’m a big fan of Ace 55 AF1s and i’ve been eyeing that shape for awhile now! How’s the tail on it?
[close]
@Roisto Dont know if you can help me out but if youve had the chance to skate an egg shape 9-9.1-9.25 how would you say the board skates?? I bought a Drehobl shape a few months back and Im waiting to set it up after the current egg Im riding and would like to know how it compares. Anyone else feel free to chime in too haha

I posted some thoughts here earlier already. Maybe you can check those too. Overall compared to an egg I would say that this is quite different. The tail feels like a normal 8.5” tail (albeit short) whereas on an egg the tail is usually rather pointy. The nose is huge in width. Plenty of space there. The widest point of the deck is where you’d normally keep your front foot. Compared to an egg this gives you a lot of leverage. On an egg the widest part is in the middle where it really doesn’t do much for me at least. It’s a rad deck and quite different to anything else I’ve skated. I’ve ran it on the 14.75” wheelbase myself for what it’s worth. Short wheelbases are not for me. Probably doesn’t make a huge difference to how the deck is compared to an egg though.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #5119 on: November 22, 2022, 07:54:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace AF1 55s
Real 3 ply risers
Bones Swiss Six
Pig rails
Some old bolts

[close]
[close]
[close]

I posted some thoughts here earlier already. Maybe you can check those too. Overall compared to an egg I would say that this is quite different. The tail feels like a normal 8.5” tail (albeit short) whereas on an egg the tail is usually rather pointy. The nose is huge in width. Plenty of space there. The widest point of the deck is where you’d normally keep your front foot. Compared to an egg this gives you a lot of leverage. On an egg the widest part is in the middle where it really doesn’t do much for me at least. It’s a rad deck and quite different to anything else I’ve skated. I’ve ran it on the 14.75” wheelbase myself for what it’s worth. Short wheelbases are not for me. Probably doesn’t make a huge difference to how the deck is compared to an egg though.
Big ups thank you my man!

JK42

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5120 on: November 23, 2022, 03:25:42 AM »
Could i get the general view of whether to run 8.75 or 9 width trucks on the Winkowski dope planet. I read the main man runs 159s, which i have, but then he also eats cold pasta out the can, which i dont do.

Looking at grabbing one in BF sales if the 159s wouldnt feel a bit small.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #5121 on: November 23, 2022, 04:15:21 AM »
Could i get the general view of whether to run 8.75 or 9 width trucks on the Winkowski dope planet. I read the main man runs 159s, which i have, but then he also eats cold pasta out the can, which i dont do.

Looking at grabbing one in BF sales if the 159s wouldnt feel a bit small.
Straight out the can is more room temp than cold. Doesn't he ride those big oj wheels (called rockets maybe) they might overhang the axle and make the trucks feel wider.

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #5122 on: November 23, 2022, 12:17:58 PM »

from their insta stories seems they re-releasing all the signature boards tomorrow.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5123 on: November 23, 2022, 03:30:12 PM »
Rode it yesterday, big fan. Was worried the tail would be a little short as I am used to the twin eggs but this one feels great.

djoekr

« Reply #5124 on: November 24, 2022, 04:59:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

from their insta stories seems they re-releasing all the signature boards tomorrow.

Man, they're live now but I can't justify buying the Snelling until I get my next paycheck next week. Doubt they will be around for that long. I didn't really need a new deck for the stack but that graphic is too good.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5125 on: November 24, 2022, 08:56:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Man, they're live now but I can't justify buying the Snelling until I get my next paycheck next week. Doubt they will be around for that long. I didn't really need a new deck for the stack but that graphic is too good.

It's on a new "All terrain press" whatever that means. Had to order as original black dip isn't going to last forever.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5126 on: November 26, 2022, 06:39:19 AM »

Wouldshop 10.5
Indy 215 with risers
Shake Junt Bearings
Ver Attack 57mm 97a wheels
Jessup
Wouldshop rails

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #5127 on: November 26, 2022, 11:18:26 AM »
Cross posted from the Huffer thread.

Indy 159s
Snot Snelling Dawgs 56mm/99a
SKF bearings
Indy 1/8 inch risers

Donald Quinelle

« Reply #5128 on: November 26, 2022, 11:26:04 AM »

Indy 159s
SKF bearings
Indy 1/8 inch risers

And the Accels for the win! My body has been thanking me for wearing the OGs with footprint insoles. Like little clouds.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #5129 on: November 26, 2022, 11:31:43 AM »
Expand Quote

Indy 159s
SKF bearings
Indy 1/8 inch risers

[close]

And the Accels for the win! My body has been thanking me for wearing the OGs with footprint insoles. Like little clouds.

Love em! I don't flip much these days so the big puffy shoes are perfect for keeping me stuck on the board. They're so comfortable.