Author Topic: Louie Lopez 'West End'  (Read 22057 times)

Wizard Fight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
Re: Louie Lopez 'West End'
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2017, 10:41:08 AM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 409
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2017, 11:02:50 AM »
This part was really good and no one can deny that but I doubt I'll watch it again.  Aside from a few tricks (fakie ollie over that corner rail, the ollie over 50-50, and the manual back 180), not much stood out amongst all the good skating. If this gets Louis as SOTY consideration, then Manderson deserves it for his Krooked part which i think is much more deserving of a rewatch.

Basically, Louie is good but he seems like just a good skater in my eyes - nothing super notable.

UserFame

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2017, 11:09:56 AM »
not as groundbreaking as Tiago Lemos video parts imho.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:13:29 AM by UserFame »
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2017, 11:56:31 AM »
not as groundbreaking as Tiago Lemos video parts imho.
[/quote
i think its a great "part", but im tired of this solo project soty push. i like seeing footy all year, part of something. tiago and foy have both put out parts IN something. as well as constant coverage all year. not just one go in novermber.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »
Louie is good but he's not creative at all, if you would see a silouette of the guys tricks it could be like 5 different (really good) guys. his tricks selection is just the same tricks everybody else does. That being said SOTY should be called TSOTY (T for Thrasher) because it's not about who changed the game but who hung out with Phelps more obviously.

And the fools above me who are dissing my man Tiago should get permanently banned from skateboarding.
Oh come on, you're just talking out your ass at this point.

1. I'm a fan of both Louie and Tiago, but what exactly is mind-numbingly creative about Tiago's skating as compared to Louie's?
2. A silhouette of Louie would be instantly recognizable. He's got grace while doing unbelievable shit, to the point where it works against his favor. Any trick in that last section would be an ender elsewhere.
3. Who the fuck else is doing frontside hurricane half cab flip out on bank to rail, gap out to wallrides over twelve stairs, and shove it rewinds over tables, among more low-key shit like manual backside 180s to start lines and back noseblunt front shove to end lines?

I like Tiago, his skating is nuts and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and I'm rooting for him for SOTY, but the dickriding around here is getting a little much. It seems like everyone goes out of their way to point out that he's "better" than anyone else in any given thread now.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2292
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2017, 04:11:25 PM »
Louie is good but he's not creative at all, if you would see a silouette of the guys tricks it could be like 5 different (really good) guys. his tricks selection is just the same tricks everybody else does. That being said SOTY should be called TSOTY (T for Thrasher) because it's not about who changed the game but who hung out with Phelps more obviously.

And the fools above me who are dissing my man Tiago should get permanently banned from skateboarding.
I get the point you are making,but it is called Thrasher's SOTY, if you haven't noticed,because it's by Thrasher Magazine...not sports illustrated or Time.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -749
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2017, 05:02:56 PM »
Shane Oneil levels still part of the year.

bad joke

• Rep: 156
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2017, 05:07:39 PM »

the t is silent
does my user name check out

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 198
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2017, 05:56:23 PM »
Yo, Louie, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but Tiago!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2017, 06:27:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the t is silent

good bad joke

G raham

• Rep: -48
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2017, 11:54:33 PM »
Sort of a slow year imo in terms of soty. Did Louie do anything else other than this part to put him in the top 3?
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

G raham

• Rep: -48
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2017, 12:18:30 AM »
I guess I should add that part was fucked. Not trying to be an OG purist or whatever but is HD pissing anyone off more n more
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

hartpijn

• Rep: -3
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2017, 01:51:58 AM »
I guess I should add that part was fucked. Not trying to be an OG purist or whatever but is HD pissing anyone off more n more

Yes. I was watching the Krooked vid with a friend and we both liked Bobby's vx section the most, but agreed that it made the rest of the vid feel kinda slow in comparison

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2017, 03:16:27 AM »
I like how you can't really tell what trick he's doing until he does it, it's pretty unique. Also not sure about winning it off a solo part, but I guess that's how it goes - feed the internet content and all that.

Statebird

• Rep: 47
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2017, 07:16:05 AM »
Sort of a slow year imo in terms of soty. Did Louie do anything else other than this part to put him in the top 3?

spitfire part, won tampa pro, and that thrasher cover

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 389
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2017, 07:24:00 AM »
That was great part, skating and music were both on point and he absolutely went off. That being said though, still doesn't hold a candle to Tiago or Jamie Foy imo.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2017, 07:36:31 AM »
Liked it but would love it if he could just grind a little further.
The two longest were possibly the gnarliest.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2017, 08:09:30 AM »
This is a win-win-win.

I'll be pleased if either Foy, Tiago, or Lopez win. Those are the finalists for sure.

Nike/Converse trumps Diamond and DC for potential spend. Lopez will win.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:33:11 AM by Robert Baratheon »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Louie has my vote. Don't get me wrong Tiago had an amazing year but Louie's skating is more appealing to me than Tiago's. Louie does all the right tricks without being overly "tech". Sometimes less is more.
[close]
How is Tiago not the prime example for less is more? Some of his most discussed tricks and lines are as simple as can be. A switch backside tailslide on a chest high ledge is still just one basic trick- no flip in, no flip out, and a trick that has been done for decades, just taken to an insane new level. His line on embarcadero had one flip trick in it if I remember right. He does do some techy stuff, but his most memorable stuff is when he takes simple tricks, and does them on things or in ways that are insane.

That being said, despite not thinking he should win SOTY, I think I was harsh on Louie's part yesterday. It was really really good, and his style has matured and is now incredible. He deserves more love for that part than hate. Its stupid to be like "Fuck that dude for not being the best skateboarder of anybody this entire year" even though that wasn't my first thought.
[close]

I thought that for a second but we didn't start that conversation or frame this part in that way.
It was more of a mea culpa for my posts, although looking back it wasn't too bad. I just felt like I was trying to argue why a great part wasn't great, just because I like Tiago more.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2017, 09:26:06 AM »

focus and destroy

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2017, 10:13:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

spitfire part, won tampa pro, and that thrasher cover

also went on that thrash & burn euro tour in aug/sept with ishod, grant taylor, zion, daan & more including phelps
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2017, 03:07:35 PM »
shouts to ugly mane

One of the best to ever do it

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2017, 11:24:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

the t is silent
[close]

good bad joke
I have a bone defficiany where I can't pronounce the "T" in plane-arium.

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2017, 12:18:01 AM »
ugly mane is trash. decent production for the time..boring voice with forgettable rhymes.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2017, 02:01:22 AM »
Agreed. At least on a technical level, I probably enjoyed the first two parts in the Krooked video just as much. I'm actually surprised Shane didn't get much traction. I guess its because he's had arguably more impressive years and didn't drop a November part.

Although out of all the 3 people are pushing for SOTY right now, Louie has my vote. He has great style and trick selection. What Tiago does is crazy in regards to pop, but I'm not a big fan of his style, but if he wins its not like I don't think he's worthy. Tiago has released a crazy amount of high-quality stuff the last 2 years.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2017, 06:26:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Louie has my vote. Don't get me wrong Tiago had an amazing year but Louie's skating is more appealing to me than Tiago's. Louie does all the right tricks without being overly "tech". Sometimes less is more.
[close]
How is Tiago not the prime example for less is more? Some of his most discussed tricks and lines are as simple as can be. A switch backside tailslide on a chest high ledge is still just one basic trick- no flip in, no flip out, and a trick that has been done for decades, just taken to an insane new level. His line on embarcadero had one flip trick in it if I remember right. He does do some techy stuff, but his most memorable stuff is when he takes simple tricks, and does them on things or in ways that are insane.

That being said, despite not thinking he should win SOTY, I think I was harsh on Louie's part yesterday. It was really really good, and his style has matured and is now incredible. He deserves more love for that part than hate. Its stupid to be like "Fuck that dude for not being the best skateboarder of anybody this entire year" even though that wasn't my first thought.
[close]

I thought that for a second but we didn't start that conversation or frame this part in that way.
[close]
It was more of a mea culpa for my posts, although looking back it wasn't too bad. I just felt like I was trying to argue why a great part wasn't great, just because I like Tiago more.
I am so proud of you <3

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2017, 08:33:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Agreed. At least on a technical level, I probably enjoyed the first two parts in the Krooked video just as much. I'm actually surprised Shane didn't get much traction. I guess its because he's had arguably more impressive years and didn't drop a November part.

Although out of all the 3 people are pushing for SOTY right now, Louie has my vote. He has great style and trick selection. What Tiago does is crazy in regards to pop, but I'm not a big fan of his style, but if he wins its not like I don't think he's worthy. Tiago has released a crazy amount of high-quality stuff the last 2 years.
I feel like Shane has a curse like a guy like Gonz or Mariano- they all produced so much at such a high level for so long, that the progression becomes expected and standard, despite being levels beyond what anybody else is even imagining. Other people can come in and do less, and people are blown away, but since everybody already knows how amazing guys like Shane are, they don't get the hype.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

super-basic

« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I feel like Shane has a curse like a guy like Gonz or Mariano- they all produced so much at such a high level for so long, that the progression becomes expected and standard, despite being levels beyond what anybody else is even imagining. Other people can come in and do less, and people are blown away, but since everybody already knows how amazing guys like Shane are, they don't get the hype.

LeBron

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -515
« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2017, 10:26:24 AM »
I kinda wish tracer was here to spew some
Nonesensical answer on why soty sucks but his best friend on the roller hockey team deserves it for being Canadian and not getting enough shine.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2017, 12:14:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah, this is fair, I hope he finally gets it like Daewon, who was in a similar boat and somehow got it in a year which wasn't his most impressive (should have got it with the Skate More part). He's the first guy I think of when we talk about guys levels beyond everyone else.