Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 214975 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1971
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3510 on: June 14, 2023, 11:24:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My theory on shield-less bearings is that, at some point when we were young, we had our bearings seize up and we removed the shields in order to service it and get it working again, never reinstalling them. We all became used to that sound and now - for many of us - loud, shieldless bearings are the norm. Simple as.
[close]

You can reinstall bearing shields?!
[close]

With God, all things are possible.
[close]
So jot that down

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3511 on: June 14, 2023, 03:19:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I noticed when I do powerslides or reverts my wheels can get stuck, as in they turn itself tighter. I don't use spacers but maybe they would solve that? Or is something wrong with the bearings? My trucks can't be the problem because they are new.
[close]

What you describe is usually due to axle slip. It shouldn't happen or happen to lesser degree if you use spacers.
Sometimes bearings can get unseated in wheel resulting in wobbly wheel spin or wheel feeling stuck.
Whatever the reason it is annoyance because to fix it one needs to get skate tool and unscrew axle nut a bit or reposition bearings which is even bigger pain in the ass.
[close]

Yep, definitely those two, but in this day and age, I don't really see very many slipped axles, but I do hear more and more of wheels that have bearings moving in them.  There is even a whole thread about it now:

Bearings moving in the bearing seat thread

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125264.0

Some wheels I have / had before I took them off, I do the push and pull method after things like smith grinds, or anything that put force on the wheel that moved it one way or other as it would just stop spinning and feel tight on the axle.  What I did was put the board on its side, stand with two feet pressed against the wheel closest to the ground and pull the wheel closest to me up, then push down on it, both hands firmly on the wheel with my palms sort of cupping it.

It went from zero play to a mm or two of wiggle room and I got used to having to do this a lot, before getting over it and taking the wheels off.

As per that thread, my solution with wheels like that was to use Race Reds or other similar internal bearing spacer type of setup, tighten them down so there was no movement in the middle, but as per how those sort of bearings operate, the bearings and wheels still spun freely and it stopped the bearing from being dislodged or moving in the bearing seat of the wheels.

If you don't tighten them right down (as per manufacturers instructions) then it won't do the job as intended, but it works better than having a separate spacer, which often is the wrong size or just doesn't fit well, with the bearings still able to move in the wheel.

Anyway, that might be a bit out there as it is well past midnight here, but if it doesn't make sense, let me know and I will make a video about it or something.

*  Meant to ask, what trucks and what wheels, and even what bearings do you have in them?

Aight Brimmo, so I have 52mm Conicals with Blurs Blue Bearings on Indy 144 Forged Hollows.
Wheels and bearings are 4 months old and with these trucks I only had my second session. I will clean my wheels and try some Indy spacers I have laying around.
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3512 on: June 14, 2023, 06:56:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I noticed when I do powerslides or reverts my wheels can get stuck, as in they turn itself tighter. I don't use spacers but maybe they would solve that? Or is something wrong with the bearings? My trucks can't be the problem because they are new.
[close]

What you describe is usually due to axle slip. It shouldn't happen or happen to lesser degree if you use spacers.
Sometimes bearings can get unseated in wheel resulting in wobbly wheel spin or wheel feeling stuck.
Whatever the reason it is annoyance because to fix it one needs to get skate tool and unscrew axle nut a bit or reposition bearings which is even bigger pain in the ass.
[close]

Yep, definitely those two, but in this day and age, I don't really see very many slipped axles, but I do hear more and more of wheels that have bearings moving in them.  There is even a whole thread about it now:

Bearings moving in the bearing seat thread

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125264.0

Some wheels I have / had before I took them off, I do the push and pull method after things like smith grinds, or anything that put force on the wheel that moved it one way or other as it would just stop spinning and feel tight on the axle.  What I did was put the board on its side, stand with two feet pressed against the wheel closest to the ground and pull the wheel closest to me up, then push down on it, both hands firmly on the wheel with my palms sort of cupping it.

It went from zero play to a mm or two of wiggle room and I got used to having to do this a lot, before getting over it and taking the wheels off.

As per that thread, my solution with wheels like that was to use Race Reds or other similar internal bearing spacer type of setup, tighten them down so there was no movement in the middle, but as per how those sort of bearings operate, the bearings and wheels still spun freely and it stopped the bearing from being dislodged or moving in the bearing seat of the wheels.

If you don't tighten them right down (as per manufacturers instructions) then it won't do the job as intended, but it works better than having a separate spacer, which often is the wrong size or just doesn't fit well, with the bearings still able to move in the wheel.

Anyway, that might be a bit out there as it is well past midnight here, but if it doesn't make sense, let me know and I will make a video about it or something.

*  Meant to ask, what trucks and what wheels, and even what bearings do you have in them?
[close]

Aight Brimmo, so I have 52mm Conicals with Blurs Blue Bearings on Indy 144 Forged Hollows.
Wheels and bearings are 4 months old and with these trucks I only had my second session. I will clean my wheels and try some Indy spacers I have laying around.

Old mate in the other thread had success with that - the cleaning of all surfaces of bearing and inside wheels in his Spitfire Formula Four wheels, so hopefully that sorts that out.

I had meant to put in there, I have had more issues with softer wheels than with normal harder wheels, but it could happen to almost any wheel, bearing, truck combo.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #3513 on: June 15, 2023, 01:57:38 PM »
Anybody know who presses the Element decks that aren't made by BBS?

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3514 on: June 15, 2023, 02:33:42 PM »
Anybody feel much difference between a 9” & 8.75? Im gonna size down for a more nimble setup and thinking either 8.75 or 8.625..

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3515 on: June 15, 2023, 03:58:56 PM »

AS far as I know (besides EU which has a separate deal and Element boards there are on HLC wood) there are only BBS and China made boards, or at least those that have the sticker "Made in China" on them. 

Unknown woodshop, different to other brands that have "Made in China" on them.

Seems like every other day there is a different feeling and looking board out of China, so I don't doubt there are numerous unknown woodshops there as well.

The people who have skated them say they often have weird shapes and dimensions, at least the ones we have around here in AU but they still skate ok, quite simple construction and concave, not at all like Dwindle, BBS or any other main woodshop when comparing them, if that helps.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3516 on: June 15, 2023, 04:06:33 PM »
Anybody feel much difference between a 9” & 8.75? Im gonna size down for a more nimble setup and thinking either 8.75 or 8.625..

For the most part, the 9" boards are usually longer in overall length and wheelbase, than both the 8.75 and 8.625 but depending on the brand or woodshop, some can have the exact same dimensions, just scaled down too.

BBS and some others are more often longer the wider they go.

HLC is 14.25 and 32 long for everything.

PS Stix has much the same for both.

The DLX (BBS) boards actually change a bit, so the 9 is usually 33 with 15" wb, the 8.75 is tapered with 14.6 wb and the 8.625 is longer overall with 14.75 wb and stays straight through the rail.

Personal preference has a lot to do with it as well, but what have you been riding and what are you thinking of getting?

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3517 on: June 15, 2023, 07:11:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

AS far as I know (besides EU which has a separate deal and Element boards there are on HLC wood) there are only BBS and China made boards, or at least those that have the sticker "Made in China" on them. 

Unknown woodshop, different to other brands that have "Made in China" on them.

Seems like every other day there is a different feeling and looking board out of China, so I don't doubt there are numerous unknown woodshops there as well.

The people who have skated them say they often have weird shapes and dimensions, at least the ones we have around here in AU but they still skate ok, quite simple construction and concave, not at all like Dwindle, BBS or any other main woodshop when comparing them, if that helps.

thank you!

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3518 on: June 16, 2023, 02:29:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For the most part, the 9" boards are usually longer in overall length and wheelbase, than both the 8.75 and 8.625 but depending on the brand or woodshop, some can have the exact same dimensions, just scaled down too.

BBS and some others are more often longer the wider they go.

HLC is 14.25 and 32 long for everything.

PS Stix has much the same for both.

The DLX (BBS) boards actually change a bit, so the 9 is usually 33 with 15" wb, the 8.75 is tapered with 14.6 wb and the 8.625 is longer overall with 14.75 wb and stays straight through the rail.

Personal preference has a lot to do with it as well, but what have you been riding and what are you thinking of getting?

I've been on a poetic 9" this spring, normal length with 14,5wb. Feels great but at the same time a little too wide and heavy. Going back down to my indy 159 will def help with the weight.

I think ill go with poetic or polar in the future as theyre always available here. They have similar measurements too I think.

Damn last year I rode the antihero orange eagle shape as I thought I needed the extra room for balance but the thing doesn't turn..

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3519 on: June 16, 2023, 03:06:36 PM »
can anybody else just not skate in shorts at all?

i've been skating for 20 years but when i put shorts on it looks like i just started that day. it throws me off that bad

barraga

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3520 on: June 16, 2023, 08:19:19 PM »
For the cons ctas does anyone know if i should go half or full size down?

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #3521 on: June 16, 2023, 08:52:16 PM »

i've been skating for 20 years but when i put shorts on it looks like i just started that day. it throws me off that bad
yeah I can relate. Have a comfort level with the kit, and it certain will mentally mess with you

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3522 on: June 16, 2023, 10:39:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
yeah I can relate. Have a comfort level with the kit, and it certain will mentally mess with you

Every session in shorts results in the worst shinners - it's just facts.

Can't live the Lucas Puig life, as idyllic as it appears.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Banned from the room

« Reply #3523 on: June 16, 2023, 11:24:18 PM »
Expand Quote
aight maybe this goes in madness support but idk.

i see some folks (on slap, mostly) run a small board to learn tricks on and a bigger board as a daily driver.  when you learn tricks on the little board, you can just bring em to the big board? Or is it like you learn to do a tre on the little board for fun and dont really skate that way on the main board?

i guess what i dont understand is how learning a trick on a smaller board than you usually ride wouldnt fuck up your timing etc on the bigger, “normal” board. no hate at all, just curious
[close]

Wut?? That’s actually insane. You only hear about it on Slap because real skaters IRL don’t do that. No skater is out there practicing tre flips on a 7.75 “learner” board before taking it to the streets on their 8.25 “daily driver”board, because that’s insane and ain’t nobody got time for that. Just learn to skate the damn 8.25!

Slap is so insane with the gear madness, specs, and different set ups it drives me crazy sometimes lol. Just skate

I definitely agree to stick with a size for at least the life span of trucks.

Gains will come less if you're changing everything up all the time. Bloard size really don't matter as much as wheel base truck choice and wheel shape.

I tre best on whatever pointy 14" WB bloard a low tight ish back truck and classic or radial cuts around 54mm down.

I'm liking different stuff rn.

I gotta make a wheel selection soon tho. Im thinking lock ins or tabs. Probably the lockins. They come in 57.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
« Reply #3524 on: June 17, 2023, 09:56:16 AM »
aight maybe this goes in madness support but idk.

i see some folks (on slap, mostly) run a small board to learn tricks on and a bigger board as a daily driver.  when you learn tricks on the little board, you can just bring em to the big board? Or is it like you learn to do a tre on the little board for fun and dont really skate that way on the main board?

i guess what i dont understand is how learning a trick on a smaller board than you usually ride wouldnt fuck up your timing etc on the bigger, “normal” board. no hate at all, just curious

Ive been skating the same sorta set up for as long as i can remember. 8.5/14.5, 149/159, 54/56mm. Never been a flip trick guy outside a handful of basics. Try as I might, so im fucking around with a smaller board solely for the sake of learning these new tricks. I skate 3-5 days a week for at least an hour. Im 38. Its good for the brain/body to try new things. Dgaf
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Banned from the room

« Reply #3525 on: June 17, 2023, 11:09:42 AM »
im thinking about getting a manager for my band.

if its ahomie then it will be a 6 way split i guess?

whats fair?

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3526 on: June 18, 2023, 02:45:26 AM »
You think 8.5 trucks on a gO27 deck are too wide?
Cause of the taper I mean.

I had them on average 8.25 decks and it was great

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 812
« Reply #3527 on: June 18, 2023, 07:41:15 AM »
im thinking about getting a manager for my band.

if its ahomie then it will be a 6 way split i guess?

whats fair?

No gods, no managers.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #3528 on: June 19, 2023, 08:03:51 AM »
i’ve got several (too many) boards that didn’t ‘work’ for me. all gripped, all shit enough to not be interesting to someone else. most of these are bbs boards, that just too steep for me.
without going full brimmer, and parking my embarrassingly heavy suv (so shameful) on them, how much weight is needed to flatten these suckers out? can i do it with dumbbells?
my idea is to acetone/sand a few, try and flatten some, on these boards that i already don’t like. so when i inevitably fuck this up, it’s not a big loss

Pastasash

• Rep: 76
« Reply #3529 on: June 19, 2023, 11:52:35 AM »
For the cons ctas does anyone know if i should go half or full size down?

go down a full size for CTAS

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3530 on: June 19, 2023, 12:28:06 PM »
i’ve got several (too many) boards that didn’t ‘work’ for me. all gripped, all shit enough to not be interesting to someone else. most of these are bbs boards, that just too steep for me.
without going full brimmer, and parking my embarrassingly heavy suv (so shameful) on them, how much weight is needed to flatten these suckers out? can i do it with dumbbells?
my idea is to acetone/sand a few, try and flatten some, on these boards that i already don’t like. so when i inevitably fuck this up, it’s not a big loss

You need hundreds of pounds or just the front wheel of a car

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3531 on: June 19, 2023, 12:59:00 PM »
Would love to reas from some pal a little insight between loveseat vs couch
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3532 on: June 19, 2023, 01:26:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

thank you.

@Mbrimson88
how long do you park on your boards to flatten em? how heavy is your vehicle?
please and thanks.

biaherl

• Rep: 271
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #3533 on: June 19, 2023, 04:44:05 PM »
without going full Neen Williams, and parking my embarrassingly heavy suv (so shameful) on them, how much weight is needed to flatten these suckers out? can i do it with dumbbells?

at 1:20 he mentions his technique

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3534 on: June 19, 2023, 05:17:43 PM »
Expand Quote
without going full Neen Williams, and parking my embarrassingly heavy suv (so shameful) on them, how much weight is needed to flatten these suckers out? can i do it with dumbbells?
[close]

thanks!

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #3535 on: June 19, 2023, 05:21:45 PM »

So very similar. The Loveseat is literally a slimmed down version of the Couch. Most of the slimming is in the guts. Nose, tail and WB are exactly the same length. I personally prefer the Couch. I just like the outline curve better and it worked better for me for curbs and flat.

Thunder 151s are your friend.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 06:54:42 PM by Frank and Fred »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3536 on: June 19, 2023, 07:11:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

thank you.

@Mbrimson88
how long do you park on your boards to flatten em? how heavy is your vehicle?
please and thanks.

I have a Corolla (more weight in the front end), so a relatively small car and park with the board under the front tyre for half an hour to an hour, depending on how steep the kicks are, often doing two at a time, one under each front wheel, just to make it more even on weight.

Best way to first check is just drive slowly over the board to see if it handles the weight, but even five minutes under bigger vehicle tyres can do a lot and not break a board, when a friend tried it too.

If you are worried about it, try the lighter end, eg engine in the front, drive over or park under the back only with a bigger vehicle.

I also do it on smooth concrete floor with a board box (or any cardboard) sheath to protect the deck, especially if it is gripped, so before taking the graphic off or anything else, select one board you would be least likely to miss, then at a time when the tyres are not hot from driving, place it just behind or in front of the back wheel and gently drive over it.

Hot tyres will flatten it way more in a shorter time, and colder weather is less likely to help it flex out.  Also after parking on it the board will usually look impossibly flat and dead, but it usually springs back after 24 hours or so.

I would do the gentle drive over it first, then park on it for five minutes one way (eg on the tail), then five minutes the other way (on the nose) and leave it be for a day or two and check the angle of the kicks after that.

Never broken a BBS board, but I have seen others break some Dwindle boards.  I have done this to BBS, PS Stix, Clutch and some other unknown woodshops and they all worked well.

If a board is dead cold it is less likely to flex and more likely to break, so if it is a cold environment, leave it out in the sun for a bit, both sides to make it easier.

Neen Williams

Yeah that was an interesting watch when it came out, before doing any of this, so I definitely did not do it first and took advice from others who had been doing it for years with boards going back to Daewon and his 90s customisations, but I will say, it has definitely helped me with my busted old ankles with the tail especially being more mellow and making everything easier. 

As the board feels weird if I just do the tail, I try to do it evenly so both kicks mellow out which means it works how a mellow board should, not flat tail and steep nose.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 07:21:40 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3537 on: June 19, 2023, 07:19:37 PM »
as always, thank you for your time

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #3538 on: June 19, 2023, 08:03:51 PM »
I picked up some of the Tom Knox Forged Hollow Indys on sale. They’ve got white bushings and white pivot cup.
They’re the quietest Indys I’ve ever owned. Usually they’re squeaky and creaky. These are silent and buttery.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with the non-black pivot cups and/or the non-orange bushings that sometimes come stock with Indys? Do the black stock bushings and red pivot cups feel different too?

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #3539 on: June 19, 2023, 09:02:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So very similar. The Loveseat is literally a slimmed down version of the Couch. Most of the slimming is in the guts. Nose, tail and WB are exactly the same length. I personally prefer the Couch. I just like the outline curve better and it worked better for me for curbs and flat.

Thunder 151s are your friend.
good info. Need repost in crail shapes thread. Here I go