Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 75369 times)

NoHopeNoHarm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #360 on: November 05, 2020, 05:09:45 PM »

Indy 149 MiD baseplate
Indy 149 Stage XI Hollow Hangar
Krux Downlow Hollow Kingpin and washers
Supercush 88a bushings
Riptide pivot cups

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #361 on: November 05, 2020, 05:23:13 PM »

Indy 149 MiD baseplate
Indy 149 Stage XI Hollow Hangar
Krux Downlow Hollow Kingpin and washers
Supercush 88a bushings
Riptide pivot cups

Big dick move to post with 'rona flipflops and socks. Jokes. Same height as a normal Stage XI when all's said and done?

NoHopeNoHarm

« Reply #362 on: November 05, 2020, 05:28:49 PM »
Yessir, 55mm even

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #363 on: November 05, 2020, 05:58:07 PM »
Yessir, 55mm even

Much obliged. I already said it, but it's just weird that they went with every dimensional change in the hanger. I get that using the same baseplate dims probably saves them insane amount of buck, but fuck me the stock mid is an unappealing hybrid. 

Anyone throw a Kreper pin on these yet?

NoHopeNoHarm

« Reply #364 on: November 05, 2020, 09:13:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Yessir, 55mm even
[close]

Much obliged. I already said it, but it's just weird that they went with every dimensional change in the hanger. I get that using the same baseplate dims probably saves them insane amount of buck, but fuck me the stock mid is an unappealing hybrid. 

I actually have a set of Kreper pins but i chose to go with the krux downlows instead. Not sure what the advantages of the Kreper pin would be... Doesn't seem like it would afford any more clearance. Although my buddy did tell me earlier tonight that the downlow top washer fucks up the boardside bushing.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #365 on: November 05, 2020, 09:18:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yessir, 55mm even
[close]

[close]

I actually have a set of Kreper pins but i chose to go with the krux downlows instead. Not sure what the advantages of the Kreper pin would be... Doesn't seem like it would afford any more clearance. Although my buddy did tell me earlier tonight that the downlow top washer fucks up the boardside bushing.
What about throwing flat washers?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

NoHopeNoHarm

« Reply #366 on: November 05, 2020, 09:33:07 PM »
I don't think a flat washer would work with the Krux kingpin... the top washer is specifically designed to sort of encapsulate the kingpin. Kind of hard to explain but you can see it in the pictures

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #367 on: November 06, 2020, 01:13:34 AM »
I don't think a flat washer would work with the Krux kingpin... the top washer is specifically designed to sort of encapsulate the kingpin. Kind of hard to explain but you can see it in the pictures

Yeah, the Downlow's allen head are countersunk into the top washer, also kind of a weird design to be honest, for a kingpin anyway.

As for the Kreper, probably not much, or any, extra clearance, but I always remembered them being pretty robust, good steel... even if you did get deck dimples, which was annoying. Grosso was setting them up on his Aces near the end, which was pretty sick.   

NoHopeNoHarm

« Reply #368 on: November 06, 2020, 02:39:58 AM »
The deck dimples being where the king pin is tightened down enough to push into the board? How does that affect anything? or is it just cosmetic?

I have the krux king pins tightened as far as it seems they will go into the indy mid baseplate. I think the nut in there has some nylock or something weird at the end of the nut which is actually preventing me from tightening it anymore without tremendous force and possibly stripping the allen head of the kingpin. It's weird because the back truck I got just tight enough to secure everything down (still loose af tho) but the front truck, tightened as far as I can comfortably take it, still rattles a little bit. When these soft bushings im using now get too soft I'm gonna switch in some indy aftermarkets and possibly the Kreper pin just to try it out. 

9053UR

« Reply #369 on: November 06, 2020, 08:03:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Yessir, 55mm even
[close]

I have, plan is to hanger swap forged Ti 169 and setup with the Winkowski Birdcage...

https://www.instagram. com/p/CGtZWWaFNZl/?igshid=gs11wwkovcgh
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 08:15:00 AM by 9053UR »

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #370 on: November 06, 2020, 08:06:47 AM »
Looks like the new kingpin doesn't have enough threading. That's probably why you can't turn it passed a certain point.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #371 on: November 06, 2020, 09:39:13 AM »
I have the krux king pins tightened as far as it seems they will go into the indy mid baseplate. I think the nut in there has some nylock or something weird at the end of the nut which is actually preventing me from tightening it anymore without tremendous force and possibly stripping the allen head of the kingpin.

The Krux Kingpin is not threaded all the way, so that's probably the issue.  I had the same problem when putting a Krux into Indy Stage 7.   I ended up using some vintage G&S kinpins that are threaded the full length and all was good.

One option may be to thread the Krux a bit further:  https://www.grainger.com/product/19T168?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhZT9BRDmARIsAN2E-J3ZyEn02e4kX0pjiJytyUVMftJLGS-B_5HKmKdziRMSuLvQTT1Ki4waAr4LEALw_wcB&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=Cj0KCQiAhZT9BRDmARIsAN2E-J3ZyEn02e4kX0pjiJytyUVMftJLGS-B_5HKmKdziRMSuLvQTT1Ki4waAr4LEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!281698275555!!!g!469986199860!&gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231

NoHopeNoHarm

« Reply #372 on: November 06, 2020, 11:04:33 AM »
Thanks yall. Think I'm gonna swap out to the Kreper pins.

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #373 on: November 06, 2020, 02:01:44 PM »

Echoing other folks, bought these mainly to swap with existing stuff.
Here's the results....
Stage XI hollow 144 hangers with new Indy inverted KP baseplates. (54mm tall + 364 grams)
New mid 144 hangers with forged hollow baseplates. (49mm tall + 356 grams)
Both sets with Bones hards on back + meds on front. All nuts flush/a hair past nylock.

Correct bushing hardness with the inverted baseplates is a MUST. Especially if swapping to krux, which has slightly fewer threads than the indy kingpin. The nut embedded in the new indy baseplate def. has more threads than a reg kingpin nut, causing any kingpin to stop turning if cranked down beyond a certain point. (not going to attempt any madness of tooling extra threads on a krux kingpin, for 8 grams of weight savings)

After several sessions at the park, LOVE the hollow hanger/inverted baseplate. Great KP clearance, good pop right off the bat, and that smooth Indy feel. I'm used to stage VIIs so the height + weight was not an issue.

Will be trying out the mid hanger/forged baseplate next. Thinking of setting them up on a 8.3-8.5 football shape w/ some small wheels for a little low + wide early 90s action.

keep rollin' slap pals....

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #374 on: November 06, 2020, 03:10:41 PM »
Would low bushings offer more comfort. Just because the Krux kingpin is shorter?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #375 on: November 06, 2020, 04:48:26 PM »
Would low bushings offer more comfort. Just because the Krux kingpin is shorter?

Yep, I've ACE low tops/regs bottom in mine with the Krux pin, about the max clearance you're going to get unless you shave down the top bushing (or put low bottoms in).

Honestly it's not that much of an issue, tho I am not grinding the KP yet, it's more about the weight because I'm a bitch that way.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #376 on: November 06, 2020, 07:08:40 PM »
The deck dimples being where the king pin is tightened down enough to push into the board? How does that affect anything? or is it just cosmetic?

I have the krux king pins tightened as far as it seems they will go into the indy mid baseplate. I think the nut in there has some nylock or something weird at the end of the nut which is actually preventing me from tightening it anymore without tremendous force and possibly stripping the allen head of the kingpin. It's weird because the back truck I got just tight enough to secure everything down (still loose af tho) but the front truck, tightened as far as I can comfortably take it, still rattles a little bit. When these soft bushings im using now get too soft I'm gonna switch in some indy aftermarkets and possibly the Kreper pin just to try it out.

Yeah purely cosmetic. When the pin was (over)tightened and when the bushings would compress on landings over a period of time. In reality, I was a kid when i saw this in the early 2000's so it's likely the decks were old as shit and waterlogged by the time the dimple happened.

Cool to see the Kreper pin being used on these frankentrucks, definitely looks to have some advantages over the stock/Krux options - lower, more adjustment range, flat washer option, maybe even a bit lighter with all that considered.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 03:43:59 AM by palelight »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #377 on: November 07, 2020, 07:15:36 AM »

Here's the results....
Stage XI hollow 144 hangers with new Indy inverted KP baseplates. (54mm tall + 364 grams)
Both sets with Bones hards on back + meds on front. All nuts flush/a hair past nylock.

Correct bushing hardness with the inverted baseplates is a MUST. Especially if swapping to krux, which has slightly fewer threads than the indy kingpin. The nut embedded in the new indy baseplate def. has more threads than a reg kingpin nut, causing any kingpin to stop turning if cranked down beyond a certain point. (not going to attempt any madness of tooling extra threads on a krux kingpin, for 8 grams of weight savings)

After several sessions at the park, LOVE the hollow hanger/inverted baseplate. Great KP clearance, good pop right off the bat, and that smooth Indy feel. I'm used to stage VIIs so the height + weight was not an issue.

Will be trying out the mid hanger/forged baseplate next. Thinking of setting them up on a 8.3-8.5 football shape w/ some small wheels for a little low + wide early 90s action.

So happy I'm not this messed up. (not disrespect tho)
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

hillbilly shifty

« Reply #378 on: November 07, 2020, 10:19:51 AM »
Expand Quote

Here's the results....

[close]
So happy I'm not this messed up. (not disrespect tho)

specifically in regard to....?
By doing what every other person on this thread is doing?

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #379 on: November 07, 2020, 06:05:03 PM »
Just set a pair of 159’s up, only swapping the stocks for aftermarket soft conical bushings. Wanted an honest look at em before tinkering. Don’t think I will be now. They turn like you’d expect an Indy would.

Heavier yeah, but I’ve never been one to notice a few grams. Kudos to anyone who has those princess and the pea feet. I’m just trying to get some.

Dig the extra meat on the bone. Slapped right out the box, no hang ups. First thought was the KP was pure gimmick but not shredding the end of the KP and having a key on me to dial in the trucks was convenient.

I fuck with em. The shield is corny on the plate, could’ve lived without that.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #380 on: November 07, 2020, 06:21:06 PM »
Just set a pair of 159’s up, only swapping the stocks for aftermarket soft conical bushings. Wanted an honest look at em before tinkering. Don’t think I will be now. They turn like you’d expect an Indy would.

Heavier yeah, but I’ve never been one to notice a few grams. Kudos to anyone who has those princess and the pea feet. I’m just trying to get some.

Dig the extra meat on the bone. Slapped right out the box, no hang ups. First thought was the KP was pure gimmick but not shredding the end of the KP and having a key on me to dial in the trucks was convenient.

I fuck with em. The shield is corny on the plate, could’ve lived without that.

Only indys I have left are stage 11 159s, USA. Favorite indys ever.
Good to hear you liked the mids, they seem sick.
I am a princess and need them lighter if I go above 8”, but still .....trying not to be too curious about these.
The shield does look EXTRA corny, which, for indy....is saying something (the maga cornballs of skateboarding <just a vibe they give me>). Truck would look real decent with just, wait for it, no shield. Coulda/shoulda just left that spot blank.

Diocletian

« Reply #381 on: November 07, 2020, 09:28:07 PM »
Yeah if I end up pulling the trigger on the mids with the krux pin/high hanger im putting a sticker over that baseplate stamp. Looks like an Indy/Warner Bros collab lol.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #382 on: November 07, 2020, 11:45:38 PM »
Yeah if I end up pulling the trigger on the mids with the krux pin/high hanger im putting a sticker over that baseplate stamp. Looks like an Indy/Warner Bros collab lol.

Or more like the crusader/templar shit nutjobs plaster over ridiculous tac gear....

Definition of a lateral move.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
« Reply #383 on: November 08, 2020, 12:08:29 PM »

idk, i would just skate them and the shield would be gone in a month, to each their own i guess.

I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

NoHopeNoHarm

« Reply #384 on: November 09, 2020, 12:09:41 PM »
Not even a month. I've skated three times with these plates doing a handful of tailslides each session and those shields are long gone

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #385 on: November 12, 2020, 09:11:54 PM »
I got a set and so far so good.

I asked about this in another thread, just to get more eyes on my problem here.

Having a problem with the bushings though. I can’t tighten them down as far as I like to. Either the kingpin ran out of threads, or it’s hitting the board. I’m on the heavier side (190lbs.) and ride my trucks medium. Had to throw some Indy Hard bushings in, which don’t give me the rebound and responsiveness I get out of the stock orange medium bushings.

Indy Hard bushings are 94a, thinking about getting these Doh-Doh bushings that are 92a, as I can’t find the Indy Medium- Hard bushings anywhere in my area right now.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Alright, I'm having the exact same issue, Cant tighten them down after a certain point and they're still super loose.  I took the truck apart to make sure I wasn't screwing down the KP into a crooked nut but everything looked straight, super frustrating.

Is changing to a different kingpin/bushings the only fix?

I actually like the height of the trucks(actually seem lower than my Ti Forged i had before) and don't notice the weight too much but having my trucks this loose is a super big turn off.

This kingpin makes it harder to lock into hurricanes too.

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #386 on: November 12, 2020, 09:16:32 PM »
I want a mid indy with a normal kingpin. I basically just want stage 10s.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #387 on: November 13, 2020, 02:09:38 AM »
I want a mid indy with a normal kingpin. I basically just want stage 10s.
Right there with ya. With all the frankenfuckery going on in this thread, you ask yourself, “can’t it all be so simple?”

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 464
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #388 on: November 13, 2020, 07:48:07 AM »
Expand Quote

Having a problem with the bushings though. I can’t tighten them down as far as I like to. Either the kingpin ran out of threads, or it’s hitting the board. I’m on the heavier side (190lbs.) and ride my trucks medium. Had to throw some Indy Hard bushings in, which don’t give me the rebound and responsiveness I get out of the stock orange medium bushings.

Indy Hard bushings are 94a, thinking about getting these Doh-Doh bushings that are 92a, as I can’t find the Indy Medium- Hard bushings anywhere in my area right now.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!
[close]

Alright, I'm having the exact same issue, Cant tighten them down after a certain point and they're still super loose.  I took the truck apart to make sure I wasn't screwing down the KP into a crooked nut but everything looked straight, super frustrating.

I actually like the height of the trucks(actually seem lower than my Ti Forged i had before) and don't notice the weight too much but having my trucks this loose is a super big turn off.

Fuck those yellow doh-dohs. Don’t do it to yourself. The top bushing crumbles instantly. You may want to try the blue Indy aftermarket bushings. 92A. Tactics has them online right now.

hillbilly shifty

« Reply #389 on: November 13, 2020, 08:57:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!
[close]

[close]
Fuck those yellow doh-dohs. Don’t do it to yourself. The top bushing crumbles instantly. You may want to try the blue Indy aftermarket bushings. 92A. Tactics has them online right now.

Yeah, the after market 92s may be a good choice!
With a set amount of tightening that can be done before KP stops turning, with either stock mid or Krux KP, your bushing/washer choice is key.
I'm running mine with stock mid KP, bones hards on back + meds on front. Flat washers top/bottom on both.
The kingpins are flush/a hair past the nylock on baseplate nuts.
Feels great.

Same thing with any truck really. Nuts should be flush, maybe a thread showing.
Loose/tight depends on your personal preference of bushings + washers, not how much you crank down the kingpin nut.

(also agree with other folks, the shield on the baseplates is kind of weird, but won't last long with wear)