Author Topic: SOBRIETY  (Read 46742 times)

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
Re: SOBRIETY
« Reply #300 on: March 23, 2021, 07:23:30 PM »
I'm on day 15 of no booze, which is the longest I've gone in a decade. I have more mental clarity, but am still really tired feeling still. Has anyone else had that? I thought it would be gone by now.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #301 on: March 23, 2021, 08:16:20 PM »
I'm on day 15 of no booze, which is the longest I've gone in a decade. I have more mental clarity, but am still really tired feeling still. Has anyone else had that? I thought it would be gone by now.

Yooooo my G. Big ups. 15 days is a long frickin time, especially when you've been boozing for a decade. Prior to quitting in 2015, I only got that far a 2 or 3 times before I'd get back at it. It's great that you're realizing the reason for still feeling tired is related to getting off the sauce, rather than chalking it up to something else. It's going to take a while to get to that baseline you might have been at 10 years ago, but it's not insurmountable and will come faster than you expect. Things will gradually pick up and improve. you've got to remember that your body/brain are used to having a regular infusion of a depressant/sugars/carbs and is working overtime to regain a different sort of independent function. I don't know you as an individual, but as a human, you're resilient and can soon enough overcome the sense of dragging ass. I'm not speaking with medical knowledge, but whenever coming off of a toxic substance that has been habitually used/misused, it helps me to see the body/mind as being in shock and requiring more care than might normally be given. Supplements, clean eating, water, exercise will help your body/mind get to where they need to be.

you got this shit, homie.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #302 on: March 23, 2021, 09:53:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yooooo my G. Big ups. 15 days is a long frickin time, especially when you've been boozing for a decade. Prior to quitting in 2015, I only got that far a 2 or 3 times before I'd get back at it. It's great that you're realizing the reason for still feeling tired is related to getting off the sauce, rather than chalking it up to something else. It's going to take a while to get to that baseline you might have been at 10 years ago, but it's not insurmountable and will come faster than you expect. Things will gradually pick up and improve. you've got to remember that your body/brain are used to having a regular infusion of a depressant/sugars/carbs and is working overtime to regain a different sort of independent function. I don't know you as an individual, but as a human, you're resilient and can soon enough overcome the sense of dragging ass. I'm not speaking with medical knowledge, but whenever coming off of a toxic substance that has been habitually used/misused, it helps me to see the body/mind as being in shock and requiring more care than might normally be given. Supplements, clean eating, water, exercise will help your body/mind get to where they need to be.

you got this shit, homie.

This....

Fucking congrats man! Get lots of healthy fats/liquids into the body and excercises as you can.

Stoked for you man!!!
Gentleman ninja warlock

iKobrakai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #303 on: March 23, 2021, 11:25:39 PM »
Keep going, my bro!

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #304 on: March 24, 2021, 04:46:13 AM »
After 12 weeks of no alcohol I thought I would try to have a couple on my birthday the other day. Got six pack of stella and could barely even finish one. Hated the way it made me feel. I got so used to being in control of my body that even the slight buzz I got felt so invasive and uncomfortable. Kinda feel annoyed I broke sobriety, but at the same time it helped me solidify that being sober is 100% for me. I've still saved over $750+ dollars over the past three months, and over 300 hours of drinking. Enough money to buy a yamaha keyboard and start to teach myself how to play piano. Proud of all y'all on here, keep it up guys.

ilovegay

• Rep: 9
« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2021, 05:11:46 PM »
I’ve been sober just over 9 months. I actually think I have Covid to thank. I went on a bender celebrating my wife’s birthday, and then got the sickest I’ve ever been for two weeks. I think it was Covid, but the test came back negative. Definitely the best decision I ever made. 1 was too many, 100 wasn’t enough.

It is very nice to wake up every day feeling great with tons of energy and no regrets. I have saved a ton of money. I’m also definitely in the best shape of my life, and skating better than I ever have at age 33.

Shalom to any pals out there trying to be clean. It’s not easy. I definitely said I was going to stop drinking 100s of times. You will not regret it though when you finally make that decision for yourself.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #306 on: March 24, 2021, 05:21:42 PM »
Shalom thread

in 2020 I spend 8 months sober and had to move, i caved in after I moved due to the stress of moving and exhaustion, and last 4 month I had a 6 pack a night.  first week was fun, the rest was whack and expensive, honestly just felt like shit everytime I drank and Got to the point where every beer I drank was gross.

Had to clean back up this year and been sober since Jan1.   

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #307 on: March 24, 2021, 05:52:36 PM »
Shalom thread

in 2020 I spend 8 months sober and had to move, i caved in after I moved due to the stress of moving and exhaustion, and last 4 month I had a 6 pack a night.  first week was fun, the rest was whack and expensive, honestly just felt like shit everytime I drank and Got to the point where every beer I drank was gross.

Had to clean back up this year and been sober since Jan1.

Stoked you resobered up. Just try to remember how shitty you felt when tempted in the future.

I am at two years dry now and couldn‘t imagine having a casual drink...
Even managed to phase out weed completely, I bought a bunch of cbd and it was just not worth smoking it because it didn’t do anything. So I am really stoked on that, didn‘t think that would happen like this.

Shout out to all the sober and all the not sober pals, I love that this thread is out here.
Shalom & Friede

PMA

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #308 on: March 24, 2021, 07:06:29 PM »
any of y'all familiar with the founder of AA, Bill Wilson? He had a profound experience on Belladonna and/or henbane I believe, which helped him quit drinking by having a profound spiritual experience. He then took LSD, with some frequency, and got into correspondence with Carl Jung, to whom he expressed the belief that LSD could be part of the 12 steps, an introduction to that higher power or something greater.

Now, I'm not advocating for anyone to go get puddled, I will however, say that I know many addicts who have kicked some gnarly, long time habits of heroin, crack, meth, and booze, by using psychedelics. I partially credit a DMT experience during my first month sober from alcohol with helping move forward on the path. Little bit of L every now and again, in a comfortable, controlled setting with such an intention has done the same for many.

Again, I'm not advocating for anything, and y'all know your mental health status better than anyone else, but it's something to consider.

Stay strong n safe homies

AlexOlsonsDashiki

• Rep: 39
« Reply #309 on: April 11, 2021, 03:10:41 PM »
any of y'all familiar with the founder of AA, Bill Wilson? He had a profound experience on Belladonna and/or henbane I believe, which helped him quit drinking by having a profound spiritual experience. He then took LSD, with some frequency, and got into correspondence with Carl Jung, to whom he expressed the belief that LSD could be part of the 12 steps, an introduction to that higher power or something greater.

Now, I'm not advocating for anyone to go get puddled, I will however, say that I know many addicts who have kicked some gnarly, long time habits of heroin, crack, meth, and booze, by using psychedelics. I partially credit a DMT experience during my first month sober from alcohol with helping move forward on the path. Little bit of L every now and again, in a comfortable, controlled setting with such an intention has done the same for many.

Again, I'm not advocating for anything, and y'all know your mental health status better than anyone else, but it's something to consider.

Bill Wilson is a polarizing character. On his deathbed he asked for a drink. Not saying not to do LSD, but I havent in the 3 years ive been sober

My fiance/mother of my child left me to be with her boss on Friday. Im pretty fucked up over it. I have a lot of fear and anger and sadness and hurt. I didnt drink. Ive been on the phone with sober men pretty much hourly for the last 48 hours. I went to meetings. I wrote inventory. I dont think Im going to drink or smoke crack over this today.
Every time the McRib comes out I buy it. I don't even like the damn things.

Algar

• Rep: 28
« Reply #310 on: April 11, 2021, 06:51:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bill Wilson is a polarizing character. On his deathbed he asked for a drink. Not saying not to do LSD, but I havent in the 3 years ive been sober

My fiance/mother of my child left me to be with her boss on Friday. Im pretty fucked up over it. I have a lot of fear and anger and sadness and hurt. I didnt drink. Ive been on the phone with sober men pretty much hourly for the last 48 hours. I went to meetings. I wrote inventory. I dont think Im going to drink or smoke crack over this today.

Dang man, sorry to hear about that, I’m rooting for you!  It seems reaching out like you have been is a good way to deal with it all.

I have been trying to kick the booze for the last year or two,  had a few streaks of over a month or two of sobriety and am on about two weeks at this point.  I just have a hard time not drinking daily and pretty much drink at least a sixer of ipa’s daily.  Pretty much feel hungover daily and then once I feel ok in the afternoon I start to think about drinking again and then I am drinking, it just takes over my brain completely.  I’m functional for the most part but it definitely fucks with my mental health, between crazy anxiety or just pure self loathing.

When I am sober though it can be really hard but also I feel so fucking good, it’s amazing, and I think someday it will stick but It feels not possible at the same time

Shalom to you all

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #311 on: April 11, 2021, 07:44:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That absolutely sucks man.  Definitely don't go the destructive route.  The best revenge is success.  Use this as an opportunity to take inventory of the various areas of your life that you want to make gains in and focus on that.  For example, even if it is something as simple as earning more money and working longer hours, you will be too busy to dwell on BS.

My dad has been married about 3 times and that was basically the advice he gave me about how to handle a nasty breakup.  He is a really nice guy too, not a meathead scumbag.  SLAP is comprised of a variety of individuals who have unique experiences.  And yet, I am confident that there are many who have experienced a very similar type of situation as yourself.  So, you are not alone in that regard.   

Dude, FUCK alcohol, but DOUBLE FUCK crack. 

FTS. You are going to thrive in this time of adversity and in time give your child the step mother they deserve. A step mother that your ex absolutely hates because she is better than her in every way, shape, and form. 

Nothing wrong with 2 tylenol PM to go to sleep early, in turn wake up early, and get/stay productive.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #312 on: April 11, 2021, 10:13:14 PM »
Had 8 years on the 8:th.

To my squad; keep going.

AlexOlsonsDashiki

• Rep: 39
« Reply #313 on: April 12, 2021, 03:35:34 AM »
@pugmaster @algar thanks for the kind words.

Yesterday was okay towards the end of the day, waking up today was hard. The whole situation feels complicated but broken down in it’s simplest terms is she doesn’t feel she will be happy with me long term, and the family I wanted for my daughter isn’t going to happen.

I don’t wish ill will towards my ex. Not right now. I want her to be feeling what I feel, but that’s because I feel alone. Lots of sober men told me this pain is necessary though and unfortunately I’m going to have to feel it. That doesn’t make it right/fair/easy. It’s just the fact of the matter.

I’m staying at our old place right now with my daughter but will probably be the one to move out. I would like to say I can stay here but I don’t know. We are trying to keep custody and stuff out of the courts. I don’t want any parent resentful at the other. I really want to come out of this a better person. I really want to make it through this to know I can.

I’m rambling at this point. I’m just hurting. Thank you for your responses.

@algar let’s talk sometime. I’d love to share my experience getting sober with you. It’s possible to get sober. It’s possible to stay sober. You let me know when you’re ready to hear it, and I’m here to listen to you as well. No judgement, no expectations on my end. Just offering to you what someone offered to me when I was in your position
Every time the McRib comes out I buy it. I don't even like the damn things.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #314 on: April 12, 2021, 12:22:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Dang man, sorry to hear about that, I’m rooting for you!  It seems reaching out like you have been is a good way to deal with it all.

I have been trying to kick the booze for the last year or two,  had a few streaks of over a month or two of sobriety and am on about two weeks at this point.  I just have a hard time not drinking daily and pretty much drink at least a sixer of ipa’s daily.  Pretty much feel hungover daily and then once I feel ok in the afternoon I start to think about drinking again and then I am drinking, it just takes over my brain completely.  I’m functional for the most part but it definitely fucks with my mental health, between crazy anxiety or just pure self loathing.

When I am sober though it can be really hard but also I feel so fucking good, it’s amazing, and I think someday it will stick but It feels not possible at the same time

Shalom to you all

yo my G, that's pretty much how I was rolling when I stopped boozing 6 years ago. Get out of work, stop for a beer or 2, stop at packy to grab a 6 (I was drinking Racer 5 IPA 7.5 ABV), drink a few, walk to the local dive, have a couple more and a shot, talk to the drunk old Irish immigrant house painters, go home, crack another IPA and pass out after a few slugs. Wake up, go to work, etc. This was Monday thru Wednesday. Thursday, Friday, Saturday, I'd generally go stay with some friends who lived in a beach house year round and rip it up 12 ways til Sunday, doing all sorts of shit. Other than Sundays, I never felt hung over for too long because I'd start drinking again. I was functioning highly- getting promoted, entrusted with a lot of shit, etc, but I wasn't anywhere near my best. My body always hurt and I was really too fucked and staying busy getting fucked to get anxious or anything. I looked like I was in pretty good shape, but I was 29/30 and my body felt awful. It took me a long time to get there, but it worked out. if you're tryna do it, you can!!!

You can already see my posts about self therapy with psychedelics (and if you look on clinicaltrials.gov, there's sign ups for psilocybin therapy trials for alcoholism and/or depression) but that might not be for everyone at this juncture. I will say however, what was most helpful for me was keeping track of how many days I wasn't drinking. I made a calendar/chart of sorts where I checked a box everyday that I didn't drink and wrote a note about something that happened. Did that for the first 40ish days and it was huge. still got it stashed away.

take care, my friend.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #315 on: April 13, 2021, 06:28:38 AM »
I fucking hate myself for not drinking and it sucks because I'm at a low point and anything sound's good butttttttttt I just can't bring myself to do anything or buy something.
Dueces Bitch's

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #316 on: April 14, 2021, 10:18:48 AM »
 I'm at 15 weeks and change no drinking. 48 and have basically been a consistent beer drinker since 17/18. 48 now. Feel great. Lot of energy and way more positive mental outlook. Don't think I'll ever go back.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #317 on: April 14, 2021, 10:22:30 AM »
I'm at 15 weeks and change no drinking. 48 and have basically been a consistent beer drinker since 17/18. 48 now. Feel great. Lot of energy and way more positive mental outlook. Don't think I'll ever go back.

;D

keep that PMA brotha!

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #318 on: April 14, 2021, 10:46:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

;D

keep that PMA brotha!

Thank you, I will. Beneficial to family life and my health. Wish I would have done this 20 years ago.

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #319 on: April 23, 2021, 12:14:32 PM »
Hey y’all

I know some of you have seen my thread “3 months alcohol free” and my experience trying to stay sober, but that was before I knew this thread existed, so I will be posting here about it from now on.

Long story short- Stopped drinking for almost 5 months, relapsed pretty hard last weekend, and now I’m back on the wagon again.

Hope everyone here is doing well and stay strong.

Mongey

• Rep: -5
« Reply #320 on: April 25, 2021, 08:10:22 PM »
Just read through pretty much this whole thread.

I turn 47 next week. Always have drank mid to heavy since I was 17. Have good job , young kids , house , wife and all that but just starting to feel like I need to step away from the booze. I take care of all my shit but those 4 to 6 beers at the end of the day Are always a constant. With a few more On weekends.

It’s to a point where’s not drinking seems kind of an exciting change , but fucking hard to break 30 years worth of habits.

About to start a 12 week eating thing with the wife. She is trying to get healthier after
Our 2nd kid . So I’m gonna try my hardest to stay off For 12 weeks and see what happens.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #321 on: April 26, 2021, 11:21:15 AM »
I go through periods where I don’t drink. 3 months or so where I won’t drink or buy myself alcohol. I’ll be honest a big reason is because beer just makes me fat eventually. Bloats me up.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #322 on: April 26, 2021, 11:33:06 AM »

I turn 47 next week. Always have drank mid to heavy since I was 17. Have good job , young kids , house , wife and all that but just starting to feel like I need to step away from the booze. I take care of all my shit but those 4 to 6 beers at the end of the day Are always a constant. With a few more On weekends.

It’s to a point where’s not drinking seems kind of an exciting change , but fucking hard to break 30 years worth of habits.

About to start a 12 week eating thing with the wife. She is trying to get healthier after
Our 2nd kid . So I’m gonna try my hardest to stay off For 12 weeks and see what happens.

you can do it man. if you drink canned beer, have canned soda water or something to replace it. I used to have to crush those during the first few years. Still do when I visit my family and my pop is drinking beers all day.

Mongey

• Rep: -5
« Reply #323 on: April 26, 2021, 12:26:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you can do it man. if you drink canned beer, have canned soda water or something to replace it. I used to have to crush those during the first few years. Still do when I visit my family and my pop is drinking beers all day.

Thanks for the words dude.

I also brew my own beer as a Hobby so it’s something that has turned into a big part of my life.

Feeling pretty resolved though to give this 12 weeks a real shot. Have thought about trying some alcohol free beer but not sure that will help in the early days. Think it’s better for me to just drop it all.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #324 on: April 26, 2021, 01:15:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the words dude.

I also brew my own beer as a Hobby so it’s something that has turned into a big part of my life.

Feeling pretty resolved though to give this 12 weeks a real shot. Have thought about trying some alcohol free beer but not sure that will help in the early days. Think it’s better for me to just drop it all.

aw man, that's a gnarly splitting of interests. I used to brew with my uncle sometimes and really couldn't imagine doing it and not drinking the product. I am going to try to grow some hops vines this year so I can make hop tea and stuff, but I couldn't have done it at an earlier juncture.

If you and I are anything alike, you're going the easier route by dropping it all. I never really got the point of non-alcoholic beer but there are some good carbonated hop teas out there made by hop lark. Doesn't really do the trick of an IPA but the chamomile one is pretty nice as chamomile and hops make a mild relaxant.

good luck again. man!!!

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #325 on: April 26, 2021, 05:19:44 PM »
big ups to everyone in here!

I haven't drank in a little over a month and I have been feeling much more consistently happy(following through with more plans I make, more productive, feel 100% more patient, skating/surfing a few times a week, etc). I don't have any specific time frame/goal set for myself but I am just going to keep it up for as long as I can or feel its right

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #326 on: April 27, 2021, 04:05:51 AM »
I'm creeping up on 4 months sober in a couple days here. I did have one stella on my birthday last month, sort of just testing out if I even liked alcohol anymore. Nope, can't believe how uncomfortable even one made me feel. Feels insane I used to drink 7% ipas on weekdays.

Besides feeling generally more happy, clear headed, and finally sleeping good for the first time in 5 ish years, I can't believe the amount of money I've been saving. According to this "I am Sober" app, I've saved at lesat $1,100 bucks since new years.

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #327 on: April 27, 2021, 06:32:21 AM »
I was never a drinker but I was addicted to OxyContin for about 4 years. A friend introduced me to LSD and without even thinking about it I slowly stopped oxy and mainly did acid. After about two years I had a bit of a breakthrough trip. It’s kind of a stereotype but I feel like the trip permanently changed my brain or something. I was still occasionally doing coke or molly at parties and trying whatever but after the breakthrough trip I felt like a light switched turned off my desire. It’s been 5 years and I feel a thousand times better than I did when I was piling out. I still get turned off how people make psychedelics a religion but I do think scientifically it can help with addiction or certain mental illness. It definitely isn’t the right answer for everyone but for anyone out there that feels like they keep relapsing i think it’s worth a try. Just start with small doses.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #328 on: April 27, 2021, 10:49:56 AM »
I was never a drinker but I was addicted to OxyContin for about 4 years. A friend introduced me to LSD and without even thinking about it I slowly stopped oxy and mainly did acid. After about two years I had a bit of a breakthrough trip. It’s kind of a stereotype but I feel like the trip permanently changed my brain or something. I was still occasionally doing coke or molly at parties and trying whatever but after the breakthrough trip I felt like a light switched turned off my desire. It’s been 5 years and I feel a thousand times better than I did when I was piling out. I still get turned off how people make psychedelics a religion but I do think scientifically it can help with addiction or certain mental illness. It definitely isn’t the right answer for everyone but for anyone out there that feels like they keep relapsing i think it’s worth a try. Just start with small doses.

hell yeah, brother. DMT was the break through for me and occasional trips help maintain that shift. I'm stoked to continue hearing about and meeting people who get off the dope through tripping. stay safe homie!

Coldpizza

• Rep: 146
« Reply #329 on: April 28, 2021, 02:57:46 PM »
So I’ve been off drugs for years now, and stopped smoking weed about a year ago. I’ve been trying to stop drinking, but it’s so fucking hard. I truly thought weed would be harder… I’ve got a great job, happy wife, and don’t drink enough in a sitting to be smashed, but I definitely drink every day and have a problem with it. The habit is just so hard to kick and the fear/anxiety I feel is mentally fucking with me. Any tips would be welcome. My birthday is the end of May, and the best gift I can think of is being sober… thanks y’all.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯