Author Topic: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition  (Read 69198 times)

franquietits

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
Re: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition
« Reply #780 on: September 29, 2021, 02:31:03 AM »
^ I agree, they're good. It's just a consumer psychology thing: their brand isn't cool enough for people to want to try them and take them seriously.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #781 on: September 29, 2021, 06:42:59 AM »
The 8.75s, on risers, are great. I dig the ML bushings too.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #782 on: September 29, 2021, 07:11:54 AM »
^ I agree, they're good. It's just a consumer psychology thing: their brand isn't cool enough for people to want to try them and take them seriously.

It is consumer psychology for sure. Let’s be real though, those trucks are fugly. Just like I wouldn’t buy a car that’s cheap and technically satisfies all of my needs but looks like a toy and I’d be a bit embarrassed to be seen driving it

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #783 on: September 29, 2021, 09:35:36 AM »
Are Theeve CSX actually 55mm tall? One session down with them and they feel lower than that. Am i crazy or on to something?

Also, damn they feel good. Turn is awesome and trucks felt broken in from the start.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #784 on: September 29, 2021, 10:57:05 AM »
Are Theeve CSX actually 55mm tall? One session down with them and they feel lower than that. Am i crazy or on to something?

Also, damn they feel good. Turn is awesome and trucks felt broken in from the start.

They are about 51mm in heihgt. I have theeve tiax 5.5. The only difference is the axle material.
Great trucks by the way, as are mini logo trucks.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #785 on: September 29, 2021, 06:14:41 PM »

All of my Theeves have been 52mm. And you are correct, they rock.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #786 on: September 29, 2021, 06:51:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wrote them off a while back but they aren't too bad, I put them on a board for a friend who was just starting out and the turn on them was night and day compared to Ventures, like surf-ier Indy. The pop feel wasn't bad too on a 14" WB, but it could just be an 8" setup being much easier to pop.

I have a pair of the TiKing (full titanium) ones in storage picked up on clearance, can't imagine anyone spending that much on trucks that grind that poorly (according to Ben Degros).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #787 on: September 29, 2021, 10:48:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I wrote them off a while back but they aren't too bad, I put them on a board for a friend who was just starting out and the turn on them was night and day compared to Ventures, like surf-ier Indy. The pop feel wasn't bad too on a 14" WB, but it could just be an 8" setup being much easier to pop.

I have a pair of the TiKing (full titanium) ones in storage picked up on clearance, can't imagine anyone spending that much on trucks that grind that poorly (according to Ben Degros).

The full titaniums are called TiH (TiHanger). The Tiking are the same as CSX or TiAx, but with a hollow kingpin (used to be titanium). Yeah, titanium hanger is problematic on some types of metal coping, but they're supposedly great on pool coping. People buy them for the weight, however.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #788 on: October 06, 2021, 04:52:09 PM »
I was swapping out decks and noticed my wheels are resembling cones. Upon further inspection, all four of my axels are bent. Odd considering I only weigh 140ish and skate fairly low impact.

Really loved my Tensor Maglights, but they didn't last two months. Back to Thunder.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #789 on: October 10, 2021, 07:02:19 AM »
Noticed a bit of vertical play in my front film truck now that I swapped out the king pin and pivot cup, hard to describe but it’s like the hanger has a mm or so of play going into the pivot…
Back truck is fine, never had this happen on any other truck. Wondering if I should just go back to 159 indys…
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 05:43:14 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Roger__Kook

• Rep: 5
« Reply #790 on: October 11, 2021, 05:19:43 AM »
Noticed a bit of vertical play in my front film truck now that I swapped out the king pin and pivot cup, hard to describe but it’s like the hanger has a mm or so of play going into the pivot…
Back truck is fine, never had this happen on any other truck. Wondering if I should just go back to 159 indys…
Air bubble trapped under the pivot cup?

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #791 on: October 11, 2021, 05:25:01 AM »
I'd just save your self some trouble and go back to independent.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #792 on: October 11, 2021, 05:46:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
dude is having pivot cup issues and youre recommending indy? i switched from indy to Film for exactly that reason.
i shredded so many indy stage 11s pivot cups (never tore one before the 11s) that i just gave up, even aftermarket ones.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #793 on: October 11, 2021, 06:42:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Air bubble trapped under the pivot cup?
not sure… when I did the back truck the new kingpin and pivot slipped in perfectly but with the front truck it seemed like the pivot cup sunk deeper than the back truck, I also had to wind down the king pin a lot more… maybe the front pivot cavity is slightly warped?
Still don’t want to give up on film, if I could get a replacement hanger for cheap, I’ll probably keep running them, just because I hate breaking in new trucks!
Weird to hear horror stories about stage 11s too, I haven’t rocked indies for a minute though. The search continues I guess…

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #794 on: October 11, 2021, 08:53:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
dude is having pivot cup issues and youre recommending indy? i switched from indy to Film for exactly that reason.
i shredded so many indy stage 11s pivot cups (never tore one before the 11s) that i just gave up, even aftermarket ones.
Yeah I am. I'm going off of what I've experienced. I've never had pivot cup issues with Indy or venture. That sucks you have.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #795 on: October 11, 2021, 10:12:42 AM »
If you run loose trucks and do lots of slappies its really easy to get some lateral play, however, it won't matter once you are on the board due to your weight "locking" the yoke in.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #796 on: October 11, 2021, 04:35:37 PM »

Was that all on the same pair of (Indy) trucks?

I know one set I got second hand were notorious for shredding pivot cups as they were messed up (which was why the dude just wanted to get rid of them), but all the other sets I have skated and seen on people's boards in the shop have been fine.

Just curious more than anything.

Thanks.

EDIT: clarified, asking about Indy trucks with issues.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 05:46:58 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #797 on: October 11, 2021, 09:28:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Was that all on the same pair of trucks?

I know one set I got second hand were notorious for shredding pivot cups as they were messed up (which was why the dude just wanted to get rid of them), but all the other sets I have skated and seen on people's boards in the shop have been fine.

Just curious more than anything.

Thanks.

yes, hence why I just want to buy another baseplate and replace it. The back truck is fine with the new pivot cup and low-down kingpin!

If you run loose trucks and do lots of slappies its really easy to get some lateral play, however, it won't matter once you are on the board due to your weight "locking" the yoke in.
good point, the madness is starting to set in though...

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #798 on: October 12, 2021, 02:45:22 PM »
Expand Quote
I saw mini logo trucks for the first time ever in the wild today, got to ride them around and I have to say they felt surprisingly good, almost like a lighter ace(No, they don't turn exactly as well, but great). Maybe exactly what I've been looking for.
Are they popular in the US? If no, why not? Looked them up again and they're incredibly cheap, even over here in europe.
I guess I'd have to use risers because they're so low, but about 51mm height with 3mm risers sounds great.
[close]

I saw someone riding a pair in the wild recently as well, took me by surprise!

They’re actually very good, especially if you want a low, light, wide truck that turns like Indy/ace/theeve. Grind great too.

Agreed, just got some ML trucks for a 7.75 I’m riding and I’m surprised at how well they turn. The grind is decent, seems about the same as the Thunder I was riding yesterday. No break in time for the bushings. They felt great right off the bat

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #799 on: October 12, 2021, 04:28:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I saw mini logo trucks for the first time ever in the wild today, got to ride them around and I have to say they felt surprisingly good, almost like a lighter ace(No, they don't turn exactly as well, but great). Maybe exactly what I've been looking for.
Are they popular in the US? If no, why not? Looked them up again and they're incredibly cheap, even over here in europe.
I guess I'd have to use risers because they're so low, but about 51mm height with 3mm risers sounds great.
[close]

They’re actually very good, especially if you want a low, light, wide truck that turns like Indy/ace/theeve. Grind great too.
[close]

Agreed, just got some ML trucks for a 7.75 I’m riding and I’m surprised at how well they turn. The grind is decent, seems about the same as the Thunder I was riding yesterday. No break in time for the bushings. They felt great right off the bat

The only negative other than the [old] branding on the trucks are the pivot cups, they are HARD AF plastic and nothing else fits in them.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #800 on: October 12, 2021, 04:41:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The only negative other than the [old] branding on the trucks are the pivot cups, they are HARD AF plastic and nothing else fits in them.

Ah, I gotcha, I haven’t explored pivot cups in my obsession with gear yet (aside from greasing pivot cups in a few trucks) so I’m not aware of hard vs softer cups yet. Now I’m interested haha

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #801 on: October 12, 2021, 05:24:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ah, I gotcha, I haven’t explored pivot cups in my obsession with gear yet (aside from greasing pivot cups in a few trucks) so I’m not aware of hard vs softer cups yet. Now I’m interested haha

After futzing around with pivot cups forever I've come to realize that they're all just there to keep metal from rubbing on metal.

Every single brand, stock or aftermarket, lose their shape, they all deform and they all blow out. Once they deform (when it's hotdog down a hallway pivot wiggling) and real benefit of them is gone. Some, however, last longer than others and that's the only real reason to choose something like riptide cups. That all being said, the ML cups last a long time because they are so hard., my issue is they can sometimes split (rare).

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #802 on: October 12, 2021, 05:30:35 PM »

I am running riptide in one of my sets. 

https://www.riptidesports.com/pivot-cups/mini-logo-pivot-cup/

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #803 on: October 12, 2021, 05:40:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I am running riptide in one of my sets. 

https://www.riptidesports.com/pivot-cups/mini-logo-pivot-cup/

How do you like them? ;)

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #804 on: October 12, 2021, 06:36:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Now you guys got me interested, been looking for a sub 50mm truck for 8.25 boards that aren't tensor. Any idea how much they affect wheelbase?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #805 on: October 12, 2021, 07:33:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Now you guys got me interested, been looking for a sub 50mm truck for 8.25 boards that aren't tensor. Any idea how much they affect wheelbase?

Between Ace and Indy - closer to Ace

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #806 on: October 12, 2021, 07:33:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

After futzing around with pivot cups forever I've come to realize that they're all just there to keep metal from rubbing on metal.

Every single brand, stock or aftermarket, lose their shape, they all deform and they all blow out. Once they deform (when it's hotdog down a hallway pivot wiggling) and real benefit of them is gone. Some, however, last longer than others and that's the only real reason to choose something like riptide cups. That all being said, the ML cups last a long time because they are so hard., my issue is they can sometimes split (rare).

Ah, I gotcha, so the pivot cups don’t effect the feel of the truck much, it’s more about durability/splitting

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #807 on: October 12, 2021, 07:58:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

AF1 or the Classics?

Never a fan of Indys and I haven't ridden Ace before. But I do like a Low truck for pinchy grinds.

And I'll have to start looking at decks with WB longer than 14.25.

Is it worth the commitment for such a large switch up?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #808 on: October 12, 2021, 09:30:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

AF1 or the Classics?

Never a fan of Indys and I haven't ridden Ace before. But I do like a Low truck for pinchy grinds.

changing a lot in one go, but more power to you if its manageable. went from 14 to 14.25 with everything else constant and im still not completely comfortable
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #809 on: October 12, 2021, 10:03:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

AF1 or the Classics?

Classics (to me). They're a generically good truck, there is literally nothing you can complain about (other than maybe being too low) as far as functionality goes.

They're cheap and worth checking out, again, especially if you want a low and wide truck (that's also light and surfy). I ruined mine with inverted pins, wish I hadn't (the plate doesn't hold any adhesive for long due to the big open/hollow space and the smooth surface).