Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349325 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #300 on: March 12, 2020, 07:28:48 PM »
I recently put some broken in Bones mediums in my 6.1's and thy turn super good.

if gnar you if I could. Win.

Everyone should break the plastic right away. Shits stupid. The bushings is nice though it doesn't freeze easily.

Also if you stay stock bottom you can cut the bones bottoms and have double the value right

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #301 on: March 13, 2020, 06:32:38 AM »
I’m 200 and just got the 97a. Will report back
Tgm has both duros in stock. Might grab 94a too
how are you liking the 97a? In 6.1?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #302 on: March 13, 2020, 10:22:26 AM »

I had a geeky stoner pipedream that involved Ace mag baseplates, Theeve Ti kingpin, possibly even Tensor ATG mag hangers.
Aluminum nuts might work but idk if I've seen them with nyloc.

Better off just riding mag tensors all around then! The TI pin in the mag lites would be crazy, they'd weight next to nothing, hell I don't even know how they made the tensor hollow kingpin lighter than the competition, but it clearly is.

sadnocomply

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 117
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #303 on: March 18, 2020, 02:44:19 PM »
That new venture x thrasher collab shirt is something I can definitely get behind. Shit is fucking fire.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #304 on: March 18, 2020, 03:05:17 PM »
I test epoxy one side of the axles. By the pin and outer hanger.

Fuck it what's going to happen I break the truck?

I have to replace my broken bones before the truck falls off.

I have endless bones to toy with.

(A)pl(E)

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #305 on: March 21, 2020, 11:58:35 AM »
Just tried my Venture 5.8s with conical bushings it is perfection. Definitely worth a try for you guys coming from indys

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #306 on: March 21, 2020, 12:33:11 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m 200 and just got the 97a. Will report back
Tgm has both duros in stock. Might grab 94a too
[close]
how are you liking the 97a? In 6.1?

I’m 240 and I run the supercush 97a in my 5.6’s and I love them. I run them in Indys too.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #307 on: March 21, 2020, 05:58:25 PM »
I have 2 sets of 6.1s on identical setups, one with bones hards (cause the stocks blew out). One with stocks still. They both turn super well for me and my small bag of tricks, they’ve worked great for slappies, limited flat ground bag and even more limited ledge bag. As long as your putting the time in, most shit works. I tried 5.8 v-lights with bones and they just didn’t turn as well as the 6.1s for me, and I personally like more truck for my shitty crooked grinds. Y’all need to stop listening to Xen’s crazy ass. I hesitated on aces for so long because it seemed that everyone needed a magical recipe for them to work. I’d hate for Ventures to suffer the same fate. I only ever rode aces stock and they were great, just got too heavy because I preferred the 55s. Ventures with bones are the bees knees and I have some mediums on standby incase my stocks blow out. #THEAWAKENING #XENSUCKS
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #308 on: March 21, 2020, 07:00:29 PM »
Gonna turn to this thread and ask if Venture bushings weirdly get easier to turn out of nowhere (be it weather, dryness, etc.) instead of admitting that in the last 2 or 3 months that I've been off board I've gained weight.

But they randomly got looser for me. Pushed around yesterday and I had them pretty loos but they turned really quickly. I do kinda understand what people mean when they refer to turns as deep. Going from Indy/Aces you can feel the difference. I will say that maybe it's because I have 5.8s and 6.1s would turn nicer because I feel that wider trucks have a nicer turn.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #309 on: March 22, 2020, 07:33:32 AM »
Gonna turn to this thread and ask if Venture bushings weirdly get easier to turn out of nowhere (be it weather, dryness, etc.) instead of admitting that in the last 2 or 3 months that I've been off board I've gained weight.

But they randomly got looser for me. Pushed around yesterday and I had them pretty loos but they turned really quickly. I do kinda understand what people mean when they refer to turns as deep. Going from Indy/Aces you can feel the difference. I will say that maybe it's because I have 5.8s and 6.1s would turn nicer because I feel that wider trucks have a nicer turn.

When you were skating these before, was it a lot colder out? Doesn't just have to be your fat ass. Could be that the cold weather made your bushings harder and now that it's getting warmer, it's easier to turn.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #310 on: March 22, 2020, 08:08:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

When you were skating these before, was it a lot colder out? Doesn't just have to be your fat ass. Could be that the cold weather made your bushings harder and now that it's getting warmer, it's easier to turn.

obv

also check your bolts.

The hard to reach ones underneath the axles loosen and its more noticeable with this truck.

I usually bomb rattlely bolts but I get much more side to side without ovaled holes on this truck compared to like an old ace with amoeba shaped holes and finger tightenable bolts.

(A)pl(E)

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #311 on: March 25, 2020, 03:43:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

obv

also check your bolts.

The hard to reach ones underneath the axles loosen and its more noticeable with this truck.

I usually bomb rattlely bolts but I get much more side to side without ovaled holes on this truck compared to like an old ace with amoeba shaped holes and finger tightenable bolts.

I’m in SoCal, it has gotten a little warmer so it might be that partially. The bolts are still tight and I threw in a shirt and you can see my stomach so it’s me.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #312 on: March 25, 2020, 05:09:19 PM »
Expand Quote

Do they give you a shorter wheelbase?

No, they push the WB out the furthest
[close]

What is the justification for this claim? From my understanding, Thunder extends the wheelbase the most, while Venture is very close to Indy.

Yes, if you were to line up the baseplates from the inside of the truck, it would appear that Ventures extend the wheelbase more than Indy.

However, line them up correct from the outside and they're very close to each other. Obviously they'll ride different because Indy is a taller truck.

Here's Thunder vs Indy just to show the big difference.

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #313 on: March 25, 2020, 05:19:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

What is the justification for this claim? From my understanding, Thunder extends the wheelbase the most, while Venture is very close to Indy.

Yes, if you were to line up the baseplates from the inside of the truck, it would appear that Ventures extend the wheelbase more than Indy.

However, line them up correct from the outside and they're very close to each other. Obviously they'll ride different because Indy is a taller truck.

Dude.  You measure the wheelbase once they’re mounted.  It’s the axle relative to the mounting holes. 

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #314 on: March 25, 2020, 05:43:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Dude.  You measure the wheelbase once they’re mounted.  It’s the axle relative to the mounting holes.

That still doesn't change the fact that Thunder axles stick further out than Ventures. That makes them the truck that extends the wheelbase the most, not Venture.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #315 on: March 25, 2020, 05:51:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

That still doesn't change the fact that Thunder axles stick further out than Ventures. That makes them the truck that extends the wheelbase the most, not Venture.
2 things...

What?

And if you work at that shop, stop taking the wheels out the packaging.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #316 on: March 25, 2020, 05:56:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
2 things...

What?

I posted pics showing what I'm talking about, I genuinely want to know why it's said Venture extends the wheelbase the most besides "because I said so." To my understanding, Thunder extends the wheelbase the most.

Hell, Ben Degros even measured this comparing Thunder Hi vs Venture Los, proving this. (8:06)

https://youtu.be/B0Tyk4rj3hs

As for the wheels, my shop just does that.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #317 on: March 25, 2020, 06:15:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
2 things...

What?

[close]

I posted pics showing what I'm talking about, I genuinely want to know why it's said Venture extends the wheelbase the most besides "because I said so." To my understanding, Thunder extends the wheelbase the most.

Hell, Ben Degros even measured this comparing Thunder Hi vs Venture Los, proving this. (8:06)

well the 2 ventures are different models here.
(A)pl(E)

BL0B

• Rep: 412
« Reply #318 on: March 25, 2020, 06:23:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
2 things...

What?

i like this guy!

sadnocomply

« Reply #319 on: March 25, 2020, 06:25:43 PM »
Get all this thunder BS out of my thread  8) I think it’s generally understood a forged venture extends wheelbase further than any thunder once it’s mounted to the deck. Cast venture could be a different story, trashed my thunders long ago sorry.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #320 on: March 25, 2020, 06:39:20 PM »
Still trying to find the perfect combo for my ventures, but right now I love almost everything about them. I’ve been more comfortable than I’ve been in a long time and have been getting some tricks I haven’t in a while. My only complaint is I haven’t quite figured out how to max out my pop on them, I feel like if I have a ledge or something I can still get on it but my flat ground ollies feel like they have a lower ceiling. Other than that I’m feeling great on them

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #321 on: March 25, 2020, 06:45:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
2 things...

What?

[close]

[close]

well the 2 ventures are different models here.

Get all this thunder BS out of my thread  8) I think it’s generally understood a forged venture extends wheelbase further than any thunder once it’s mounted to the deck. Cast venture could be a different story, trashed my thunders long ago sorry.

This is the type of answers I was looking for. I also dug up one of Ben's older videos where he measures truck wheelbases mounted on decks and that's the right answer: it really depends on which version of truck you get, you can't claim trucks bands extended/shorten a wheelbase without specifying a certain model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CJBjwGj8EU

(Measurements in description)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #322 on: March 25, 2020, 06:56:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
2 things...

What?

[close]

i like this guy!

Here are the WB adjustment measurements I've gathered from scouring this forum, sticking to 147 / 148 and 5.2 / 5.6 before we get lost in the weeds:

Independent Cast Plates - Standard - 3"
Thunder Cast Plates - Team Standard, Team Hollow, Titanium - 3.15 - 3.18"
Venture Cast Plates - Standard stuff not the V-Light / Hollow / Titanium - 3.25"

Independent Forged Plates - Hollow - 3.125"
Tensor Maglight ATG - 3.125"
Thunder Forged Plates - Lights, Hollow Lights - 3.25" - 3.28"
Venture Forged Plates - V-Lights, V-Hollow. Titanium - 3.4" - 3.5"

Key difference would be type of baseplate used - good rule of thumb is forged (thinner, shinier) will extend WB and cast (thicker, rougher looking) will extend WB less than forged. Thunder Team trucks stick out since they are hollow axle & kingpin with a forged baseplate, so they don't extend WB as much as the Light / Hollow Lights counterparts.

Won't get into Ace or Theeve, don't have any experience with those.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sadnocomply

« Reply #323 on: March 25, 2020, 06:57:22 PM »
Thank you rock for blessing us

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #324 on: March 25, 2020, 07:08:39 PM »

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0
These people did a lot of the heavy lifting.

palelight's posts on forged vs cast was also really useful:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3065039#msg3065039
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3186320#msg3186320

Now, let's get back to the gear madness.

Still trying to find the perfect combo for my ventures, but right now I love almost everything about them. I’ve been more comfortable than I’ve been in a long time and have been getting some tricks I haven’t in a while. My only complaint is I haven’t quite figured out how to max out my pop on them, I feel like if I have a ledge or something I can still get on it but my flat ground ollies feel like they have a lower ceiling. Other than that I’m feeling great on them

Love them on a peculiar setup I had 8 x 32 x 14. Was riding food with Thunder 147 Lights, but amazing with Venture 5.2 V-Hollow Lo. Revived the 4 week old deck and despite the razor tail I'm still contemplating riding it today because it felt amazing.

The standard Venture with cast plates will be pretty good for most boards with 14.25-14.38 WB, My preference for cast Ventures (V-Lights, V-Hollow. Titanium) would be short WB decks, those in the 14-14.125 range. Of course you can mix and match hollow hangers with cast plates too.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #325 on: March 25, 2020, 07:50:31 PM »

I felt the same for like first day or two or whatever. I just went to my favorite little bump in the hot top in Salem.

Smoked a fat cone and hit the bump till the felt right.

I worked out that I like being more in towards bolt than on the tip of the tail like I'm attacking a ledge.

That way my board is more in front of me so I could see it suck up into the air and I know I'm not going to break the tail off practicing Ollies.

That sucks when that happens.

I was riding Indy and ace since like 2016. Thunder since the end of the 80s.

Now it all feels exactly the same. I can skate any loose truck np.
(A)pl(E)

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #326 on: March 26, 2020, 07:22:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Love them on a peculiar setup I had 8 x 32 x 14. Was riding food with Thunder 147 Lights, but amazing with Venture 5.2 V-Hollow Lo. Revived the 4 week old deck and despite the razor tail I'm still contemplating riding it today because it felt amazing.

The standard Venture with cast plates will be pretty good for most boards with 14.25-14.38 WB, My preference for cast Ventures (V-Lights, V-Hollow. Titanium) would be short WB decks, those in the 14-14.125 range. Of course you can mix and match hollow hangers with cast plates too.

So even the 5.2 lows will have a big difference if it's a regular truck compared to a hollow or light? Hmmm,  I'm skating regular 5.2 lows and they're amazing. Best truck I've had in a while. I can still turn and the trucks aren't too squirrely which is a thing I've noticed with thunders. I'm really tall so I don't even know if I want to shrink my wheelbase with a hollow or light but maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing...

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #327 on: March 26, 2020, 07:31:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So even the 5.2 lows will have a big difference if it's a regular truck compared to a hollow or light? Hmmm,  I'm skating regular 5.2 lows and they're amazing. Best truck I've had in a while. I can still turn and the trucks aren't too squirrely which is a thing I've noticed with thunders. I'm really tall so I don't even know if I want to shrink my wheelbase with a hollow or light but maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing...

Again it comes down to:
1) which baseplate your using
2) WB on your deck

I prefer lighter trucks, they feel more nimble so I will try to get the hollow axle and kingpin version. Used to avoid low trucks but I'm really liking them now, especially since I skate a lot of ledges so getting a good pinch is important to me.

If you're worried about WB and want to try lighter trucks, you can considering mixing the hangers and WB. Cast baseplate plus hanger with hollow axles. Some weight savings while maintaining your WB.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2020, 10:47:49 AM »
It’s funny; I was on Indy’s for close to fifteen years but every set of Indy’s I’ve ever had (OK maybe not every set but definitely every set within the last five or six years) I always had to tinker with them; CONSTANTLY; whether it’s them always loosening up on their own and having to re-adjust them once a week JUST AS I got them to exactly how I like them, or the bushings or pivot cups giving me issues, I would always find myself tinkering around with them to get them to feel good; and it got so annoying but I just got so used to it that it became normal. With the ventures im like two months in and I just had to tinker around with them for the first two sessions, got them to how I liked them, and after that they’ve been fine; no issues whatsoever. Haven’t had to tinker with them or worry about them since.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2020, 11:17:47 AM »
i would be down to try ventures again, just not the cast versions. i like a light truck but the forged versions push the axle to axle wb way further than what i would like. they seem like they would be nice on a 14-14.125 deck but those are rare in the width i like where 14.25-14.5 is standard.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo