Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47992 times)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2020, 11:30:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I want to learn backside flips. Frontside flips work for me but I never understood how people do tweaked out backside flips. My body just doesn't understand that motion no matter how hard I try. Occasionally I can crop dust a slightly mobbed pivoted one.
[close]

What do your attempts look like, like which part of the motion is weird to you?
[close]
The concept of kickflipping and trying to nose dive the board into a backside 180 simultaneously. It just feels completely unnatural. I have trouble popping a proper kickflip while trying to whip it around. It usually just rolls over on the ground or I'll land a 120 degree rotation super low mobbed one.
[close]

if you wanna just land shitty ones you can try the varial flip sex change type and see what happens, pretty much a varial flip and then turning your legs.

To do it proper, wind up the shoulders, and when you unwind, pop roughly when your shoulders are parallel to the board, and you wanna flick more straight off the middle of the nose as opposed to flicking off the side and try get that leg out far. If its rocket, then flick more off the nose and try have your centre of gravity more over the nose after popping. If your body isn't keeping up with the rotation, looking at your back foot the whole time helps a little bit.

Frontside flips make 0 sense to me, I can land slightly muska ones if I put in a gargantuan amount of effort but often snap my board when I try. I had one very specific setup a few years ago where they felt somewhat natural... cant remember the shape but would definitely recreate that setup if I knew what it was just for that trick lol.
[close]

I'm the opposite, FS Flips make sense to me - throw in a kickflip in the middle of a FS 180. BS Flips just go all over the place, either rocket, no flip or no turn. But I think eyeballing the nose and flicking off there instead of the pocket off the side, is something worth exploring today.

The rotation for backside flip should be solely from the shoulders turning and from flicking straight off the nose which 'folds' the rotation kinda. You can scoop if you want but the best backside flips are definitely popped not scooped. Wish I could fs flip lol.

skatefresh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2020, 05:09:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I want to learn backside flips. Frontside flips work for me but I never understood how people do tweaked out backside flips. My body just doesn't understand that motion no matter how hard I try. Occasionally I can crop dust a slightly mobbed pivoted one.
[close]

[close]
The concept of kickflipping and trying to nose dive the board into a backside 180 simultaneously. It just feels completely unnatural. I have trouble popping a proper kickflip while trying to whip it around. It usually just rolls over on the ground or I'll land a 120 degree rotation super low mobbed one.
[close]

if you wanna just land shitty ones you can try the varial flip sex change type and see what happens, pretty much a varial flip and then turning your legs.

To do it proper, wind up the shoulders, and when you unwind, pop roughly when your shoulders are parallel to the board, and you wanna flick more straight off the middle of the nose as opposed to flicking off the side and try get that leg out far. If its rocket, then flick more off the nose and try have your centre of gravity more over the nose after popping. If your body isn't keeping up with the rotation, looking at your back foot the whole time helps a little bit.

Frontside flips make 0 sense to me, I can land slightly muska ones if I put in a gargantuan amount of effort but often snap my board when I try. I had one very specific setup a few years ago where they felt somewhat natural... cant remember the shape but would definitely recreate that setup if I knew what it was just for that trick lol.
[close]

I'm the opposite, FS Flips make sense to me - throw in a kickflip in the middle of a FS 180. BS Flips just go all over the place, either rocket, no flip or no turn. But I think eyeballing the nose and flicking off there instead of the pocket off the side, is something worth exploring today.
[close]

The rotation for backside flip should be solely from the shoulders turning and from flicking straight off the nose which 'folds' the rotation kinda. You can scoop if you want but the best backside flips are definitely popped not scooped. Wish I could fs flip lol.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2020, 05:22:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

My backside flips on anything but banks and whatnot come and go and it's fucking annoying. I've got the mention you describe down fairly well and have my moments where I'm actually semi-good at that trick on flat and down small stuff (it just starts working like a backside ollie then), I've even filmed a few in lines that I thought looked good, but then every once in a while I'll fall into a type of slump where I'll just miss either the folding motion or the catch once every other attempt and earn myself the same shinners always. Seems to be very dependent on the state of my deck, grip tape and back truck (especially worn out pivot cups), so stupid.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2020, 12:44:24 PM »
lol I feel that, mine aren't super on lock either. The feeling of a good one is solidly planted in my mind but still can't reproduce every try

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2020, 03:37:32 AM »
Seems like we're all on the same fs/bs flip train. I'm currently working on getting a proper clean bs one, I actually really like how it turns and catches. But sometimes, as Silouhette, my moves are totally off... As for fs flip, It kinda starts nice until the catch where I freeze around 145° with my board/feet too much in front of me and unable to bring it back.

Also working on my nollie cab, It's my go-to trick on pyramid/steep banks and spin it really easily, but never made it properly on flatground. Got some decent ones last week, and watching Bobby de Keiser placement doing it over a trashcan really helps. like using your whole back foot as in a regular nollie position instead of being on your toes like for a nollie fs 180
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:29:54 AM by Yibb-Tstll »

tony mugu

• Rep: -1
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2020, 09:40:04 AM »
I have currently nailed down kickflips to where I can land them backfoot catch whilst moving slowly however before quarantine I was working on some ledge tricks.

I have been stuck for ages on frontside nose slides. I will either have the board flip the fuck out as I try to go into it or if I do lock in it’s perfect but I do not slide, it’s a stall.

I also have the non moving issue with crooked grinds. I could lock into them but I don’t move? Maybe it’s a speed thing I’m not sure.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2020, 11:52:58 AM »
What is the secret to sliding long noseslides? Baseplate against the ledge? Baseplate shouldn't get in contact with the ledge? All the weight on the nose?

I always feel like my nose isn't at Proper 90 degree to the ledge and my front toe side wheels stop me and send me flying.
IG: @flowterspace

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2020, 02:38:30 PM »
I have been stuck for ages on frontside nose slides. I will either have the board flip the fuck out as I try to go into it or if I do lock in it’s perfect but I do not slide, it’s a stall.

The board flipping the fuck out definitely isn't a common thing I've seen on front noses. Maybe something is wrong with the way you're approaching or ollieing into them? The way I learned them originally, I was just doing front noses with no slide coming from an angle and then gradually worked my way up, now it's one of my favorite tricks. Your front shoulder and hip are supposed to guide an otherwise straight ollie into the position, basically. Then as you lock in you're still mostly perpendicular to the ledge but mostly relying on your hips and back foot to stay in control (for front nose to regs; front nose fakies are completely different and in comparison I'm not a huge fan of doing those at all). It's actually very similar to a front board, just on one end of the board instead of the middle, as far as how it works. Think shifty but extending the motion and getting your nose onto something, then you'll slide for as much as you can keep the momentum by more or less sitting on that front foot till (or most likely, before) you feel like dismounting.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2020, 08:24:30 PM »
Want to get my half-cabs higher. What's the trick?

ibuproficient

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2020, 08:49:46 PM »
Deep catch on the back-end. Bend your knees, it will be there.
-It's a goddamned toy, and you're acting like a child.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2020, 12:19:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The board flipping the fuck out definitely isn't a common thing I've seen on front noses. Maybe something is wrong with the way you're approaching or ollieing into them? The way I learned them originally, I was just doing front noses with no slide coming from an angle and then gradually worked my way up, now it's one of my favorite tricks. Your front shoulder and hip are supposed to guide an otherwise straight ollie into the position, basically. Then as you lock in you're still mostly perpendicular to the ledge but mostly relying on your hips and back foot to stay in control (for front nose to regs; front nose fakies are completely different and in comparison I'm not a huge fan of doing those at all). It's actually very similar to a front board, just on one end of the board instead of the middle, as far as how it works. Think shifty but extending the motion and getting your nose onto something, then you'll slide for as much as you can keep the momentum by more or less sitting on that front foot till (or most likely, before) you feel like dismounting.

Easy trick to steeze out as well, instant crowd pleaser. I can do them short distances but I have the problem of the board slipping out away from me - either I'm aiming my nose too far ahead (board slips away) or too locking in at too sharp an angle (no slide just stick). Coming off too I just kind of plop off instead of turning off.

Also they suck on low ledges, I love them on medium to medium high ledges when you can really stick you nose into it.

Finally work up the balls to BS Lipslide stall on a low curb, going in at a sharper angle and pointing my shoulders into the curb really helped with the rotation. Holding the position and exiting will be another matter. It feels like I'm locking my board too far ahead of me, like if were on a rail the board would slip right out under me. I've tried aim my board more underneath me instead of ahead, but I end up under-rotating. The dream is to do them like Heath Kirchart, ollie high and parallel to the rail and let the back foot do all the rotation.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2020, 03:12:58 AM »
Fakie Pop Shoves. Used to be able to put em up high, trying to get back there.

JudoOrigami

• Rep: -90
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2020, 07:11:17 AM »
its raining today and im confined to the garage so im trying to get my nollie heels back in prep for learning nollie bs 360 heels which is just for cheesing people in games of skate 0 chance of me ever doing that trick down or over something

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2020, 09:14:41 AM »
Yesterday I was skating a parking lot and there was a tall ledge with just the sliiiiightest angle that I kept trying to wallride. I landed on a few but kept getting wheelbite and not rolling away.

Want to get my half-cabs higher. What's the trick?

For me it helps to really focus on preemptively turning your shoulders so by time you get to about 90 degress in your pop your board is leveled nicely and you can suck it up with you. Sorta the same logic as when people do fakie ollies over something that they usually shifty it. Helps with leverage.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2020, 11:34:34 AM »
Can you bone out your ollies? When I had half cabs good, I would pop and as I turned would slightly bone out the first 90 then bring it back in for the other 90.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2020, 03:12:55 PM »
Can you bone out your ollies? When I had half cabs good, I would pop and as I turned would slightly bone out the first 90 then bring it back in for the other 90.
Yep. To me it feels like 2 motions but when you see someone do it, it looks more like 1 fluid motion..
You want your board to grip your feet well so you can push it the last 90*.
Lazy's slightly boned out I think of as leveled out, but same thing.. a lil boned out, not totally tweaked..
Once you're 90* and level I think it's just push backside with you back foot as you're pushing down, front foot helps guide it too. Idk... been a while and it's a trick I forget to even do..
If you can if you can pop the fuck outta it then you can really steer it around in the air. Check out Sheffey in Soldiers Story.

danmasontree

• Rep: 10
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2020, 11:02:45 AM »

Was just talking about this trick with a friend. Underrated trick that looks cool if popped well.

danmasontree

• Rep: 10
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2020, 11:03:55 AM »
I can't 180 no comply anymore for some reason, been trying to learn them again

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2020, 02:32:22 PM »
backside tailslides, which I've been trying forever, and lately I've been trying backside 180 nosegrinds and frontside hurricanes. I did a shitty frontside hurricane backside revert out today but I wanna be able to do them to regular.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2020, 06:47:29 PM »
I still haven’t done a decent backtail since trying to re-learn them, but I’ve goofed around with learning or re-learning some other stuff. Switch front crooks and nollie tres were the two I tried today. I haven’t done a nollie tre since 2009 I think. I’m at the point of learning/doing tricks I should’ve learned ages ago because if I don’t do it now I may never do them
fuck you bama

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2020, 07:28:18 PM »
Switch fs and bs flips I have landed them but I don't have real confidence

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2020, 07:26:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Was just talking about this trick with a friend. Underrated trick that looks cool if popped well.

Surprised to hear that people like this trick. Fakie pop shove was one of the first tricks I learned and the very first that I ever did on a bank. I like to pop them from in the pocket (toe side), and I keep my front foot pretty close to the bolts and slightly angled outward. The pop is also more straight down than scooped.

Hulby52

• Rep: 0
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2020, 09:03:30 AM »
360 flips. I can get the rotation and flip, but I struggle with keeping my body over the board. I lean too far forward and am not bringing my front foot back to the board. Any tips would be appreciated.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2020, 09:06:01 AM »
360 flips. I can get the rotation and flip, but I struggle with keeping my body over the board. I lean too far forward and am not bringing my front foot back to the board. Any tips would be appreciated.

Keep a straight back with your weight mostly sitting over your back leg pre-pop, and try to send the board flying in front of you (as if you'd want it to go vertically, almost) a bit more. If that interferes with the form of the trick and gives you a harder time getting the full 360, focus more on the scoop. Also, lock your shoulders into place, don't go crazy with your upper body mid trick.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2020, 09:56:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Keep a straight back with your weight mostly sitting over your back leg pre-pop, and try to send the board flying in front of you (as if you'd want it to go vertically, almost) a bit more. If that interferes with the form of the trick and gives you a harder time getting the full 360, focus more on the scoop. Also, lock your shoulders into place, don't go crazy with your upper body mid trick.

This is my biggest trouble with 360 flips. Keeping my shoulders in place has been a real struggle and tricking my brain into not opening them up hinders my other mechanics during the trick. Just trying them for years has given me such bad form on them. IMO it's way harder to unlearn years of doing a trick the wrong way than to learn one during your inital attempts. 

Saint Coke

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2020, 04:45:08 PM »
Shuvs atm. Was doing really well last week, took a day or two off to heal my body after rolling my ankle. Fucking. Lost. Them. I did a couple rolling and was so stoked but today I was just trying to make up all that progress I lost. I can't land anything today, every trick felt like a strugle.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2020, 05:20:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is my biggest trouble with 360 flips. Keeping my shoulders in place has been a real struggle and tricking my brain into not opening them up hinders my other mechanics during the trick. Just trying them for years has given me such bad form on them. IMO it's way harder to unlearn years of doing a trick the wrong way than to learn one during your inital attempts.

Usually that's when people have a difficult time getting the full 360 (or they overthink it, which has to be the most common reason, to be honest), usually people with shorter legs, so they have the reflex to try and turn their body to catch the board early to compensate (which obviously doesn't work). That's why I was saying to focus more on the scoop and overall back foot action to make up for that (which is actually just doing the trick right). Had that problem for the longest time myself as soon as I started skating looser trucks, you have to find that sweet spot and let just the sweep of that back leg do all the work.

You're not wrong with your last bit but my philosophy is there is no absolute wrong or right way to do a trick, I actually really like quirky ways of doing tricks (when you can tell it's how the person naturally grew up doing the trick; forced quirks suck). Skateboarding is basic physics and forces, there's always some kind of workaround to such specific issues and in the end, the sum of all those workarounds you find pretty much become a major part of one's style.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 05:23:56 PM by silhouette »

walker

• Rep: -9
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2020, 01:15:23 AM »
kickflips. my front foot never wants to come back on the board after flicking :(

adriankohatsu

« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2020, 07:32:07 AM »
regular varial heelflips (i find them easier on switch) i can't get the full rotation when i commit to the landing. Any suggestion?

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2020, 11:01:12 AM »
Half cab heel. I got the rotation but I can't catch em right.

think of it as late. after you spin your shoulders around wait till the last minute to heelflip.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.