Author Topic: Covid vaccine  (Read 58153 times)

Loki700

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 74
Re: Covid vaccine
« Reply #690 on: August 18, 2021, 12:54:16 PM »
Why did they survey 5 million people? That is a huge waste of time and effort. Accurate results could be found with a much smaller sample size.
If you read the study they pared it down to 500,000 people.  They also had people self identifying what education level they are so there was no actual control against people lying to make their opinion carry more weight.

Also, if you look at it, 2% of their sample size had PhDs, but only 1% of the population at large in the US have a PhD in reality.  Even fewer than that percentage have a science focused PhD.  Also, 13% or so of the 500,000 responses they chose had an undefined education level.

In short, the study is complete garbage, and even more so since it hasn't been peer reviewed.  My brother tried pulling that study on me.

I'm starting to feel really confused by all the contradictory info coming out of the various government / health / media institutions.

Does the vaccine actually stop transmission?

If it does, then why are the number of infections rising when the majority of people are vaccinated?
If it doesn't, then why all the scapegoating of un-vaccinated people?
Does it just not work on the Delta version?

@Movies, to answer your question, yes, it stops transmission of certain variants, but from what I understand, not the Delta variant.  At the time that the vaccines were developed, it wasn't known that the Delta variant was the predominant variant in the US, and there was really no way to know.

The important thing though, is that it still protects against transmission of other variants, so it's still very much worth getting, and it lessens the symptoms of the Delta variant so it could very well still save lives.

Admittedly some of my explanation may be slightly off, like maybe it does stop transmission of the Delta variant.  I've got a degree in Mechanical Engineering, so Biology and Chemistry aren't my strong suits.  Luckily I'm married to a doctor of Biochemistry and she helps shore up those weaknesses, but not everything she explains to me sticks in my head.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #691 on: August 18, 2021, 04:06:00 PM »
still waiting on test results but this sickness sucks: update 6 days after possible known exposure

-feel pretty normal upon waking in the AM. As soon as I get moving it begins...

-fairly low-key but constant nausea. gurgling stomach. constant need to poop and I'm pooping a lot (just installed that Tushy bidet though and it's hecka tight). feels like I've gotta vomit for a while after I eat anything but if I don't eat, I'm incredibly weak

-shortness of breath. just talked on phone for 10 minutes and I'm winded with what feels like an elevated heart rate. Not even trying to go for a walk or anything.

-weakness in my arms. from the biceps downward, my arms are feeling exceptionally weak

-mental fatigue/fog is here. I'm fine typing and doing this sort of nothing mental exercise for a short period, but focus is a challenge and making decisions is moderately more challenging than usual.

-Vision is kind of weird when looking at a screen or trying to read a book. Almost like the letters want to squiggle and move around, but not quite there.

-Along with mental fog/fatigue, maybe due to seemingly increased heart rate and difficulty breathing, there's an element of constant anxiety involved.

edit: Also, my gal has mostly lost her sense of taste and smell. Mine is weakened. And it's not due to sinus congestion- I've been using the neti pot to stay clear.

edit 2: Some things that make it more bearable have been echinacia teas, cordyceps tincture has been a great anti inflammatory for the lungs, can't stress enough how much the ibuprofen 800mg seems to help.

stay safe out there pals. whatever this is, it sucks. I reckon it would be a lot worse if I weren't already quite healthy and I figure the vaccine has done some good anyways. Can't imagine how crappy it would be if I had to go into work though. I got winded just trying to clean some greasy bolts with simple green.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 04:31:15 PM by IusedToSkateMore »
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #692 on: August 18, 2021, 05:05:31 PM »
I'm starting to feel really confused by all the contradictory info coming out of the various government / health / media institutions.

Does the vaccine actually stop transmission?

If it does, then why are the number of infections rising when the majority of people are vaccinated?
If it doesn't, then why all the scapegoating of un-vaccinated people?
Does it just not work on the Delta version?

If the vaccines only stop the onset of severe symptoms and death, then why not let individual adults make that risk analysis for themselves? Can someone explain how the logic works on this?

Something is definitely not adding up here... and yes I am vaccinated.

https://vancouversun.com/news/world/vaccinated-people-spreading-delta-variant-just-as-quickly-as-the-unvaccinated-leaked-cdc-document/wcm/cbfd13dc-5d06-40d9-9400-e96a4e5d72b6
You can still get and spread covid if you get the vaccine but it makes you less likely to get a bad case of covid and less likely of getting covid in general.
The covid vaccine is a “leaky” vaccine. Leaky vaccines can lead to worse variants overtime.
https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1002198
I get my second vax shot next week.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Fhk

« Reply #693 on: August 18, 2021, 06:30:48 PM »
still waiting on test results but this sickness sucks: update 6 days after possible known exposure

-fairly low-key but constant nausea. gurgling stomach. constant need to poop and I'm pooping a lot (just installed that Tushy bidet though and it's hecka tight). feels like I've gotta vomit for a while after I eat anything but if I don't eat, I'm incredibly weak

-shortness of breath. just talked on phone for 10 minutes and I'm winded with what feels like an elevated heart rate. Not even trying to go for a walk or anything.

-weakness in my arms. from the biceps downward, my arms are feeling exceptionally weak

-mental fatigue/fog is here. I'm fine typing and doing this sort of nothing mental exercise for a short period, but focus is a challenge and making decisions is moderately more challenging than usual.

-Vision is kind of weird when looking at a screen or trying to read a book. Almost like the letters want to squiggle and move around, but not quite there.

-Along with mental fog/fatigue, maybe due to seemingly increased heart rate and difficulty breathing, there's an element of constant anxiety involved.

edit: Also, my gal has mostly lost her sense of taste and smell. Mine is weakened. And it's not due to sinus congestion- I've been using the neti pot to stay clear.

edit 2: Some things that make it more bearable have been echinacia teas, cordyceps tincture has been a great anti inflammatory for the lungs, can't stress enough how much the ibuprofen 800mg seems to help.

stay safe out there pals. whatever this is, it sucks. I reckon it would be a lot worse if I weren't already quite healthy and I figure the vaccine has done some good anyways. Can't imagine how crappy it would be if I had to go into work though. I got winded just trying to clean some greasy bolts with simple green.
Damn kihd  :-\ I hope this shit turns around very soon for you two. I know with your Pma you will kick this things ass.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #694 on: August 18, 2021, 07:40:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Damn kihd  :-\ I hope this shit turns around very soon for you two. I know with your Pma you will kick this things ass.

yeah my dude, it's what it is. Feeling like ass and dragging it all the way to the bank. Just laying low for a while, man. Sometimes it feels like I'm burnt out on that Mexican brick weed we used to get back in the day. the headache, tiredness, inability to think, and the body is just bleh, all that but no high ha ha ha ha at least I can just chill out and keep chilling. good lookin out!!! enjoy that ME august bro. I've been looking at land in upstate NY and VT again. mm mmm mmm. even If the prices are higher than before, they're less than out here for sure.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
« Reply #695 on: August 18, 2021, 07:52:16 PM »

Fuck, good luck. That doesn't sound fun.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Fhk

« Reply #696 on: August 18, 2021, 08:07:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

yeah my dude, it's what it is. Feeling like ass and dragging it all the way to the bank. Just laying low for a while, man. Sometimes it feels like I'm burnt out on that Mexican brick weed we used to get back in the day. the headache, tiredness, inability to think, and the body is just bleh, all that but no high ha ha ha ha at least I can just chill out and keep chilling. good lookin out!!! enjoy that ME august bro. I've been looking at land in upstate NY and VT again. mm mmm mmm. even If the prices are higher than before, they're less than out here for sure.
@IusedToSkateMore Well get to feeling better and come on back to the Northbeast. Mexican brick lmao ohhh the stories. Keep us updated how ya making it homey

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1596
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #697 on: August 18, 2021, 08:32:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Get tested so you can share that info with your employer.  Maybe they will be open to zoom meetings for future trainings/staffings. Take care!!!
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #698 on: August 18, 2021, 08:41:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Get tested so you can share that info with your employer.  Maybe they will be open to zoom meetings for future trainings/staffings. Take care!!!

oh yeah, we got tested. just waiting on results, my friend. I was coming into this training as an out of district person (one school district to another) and it was pretty wild. Honestly, to avoid this sort of situation the upcoming school year would have to be via Zoom again. Regardless of anyone's take on covid or the vaccine or masking, schools are going to be rough places this winter. Luckily for me, and I've got no qualms feeling for myself here, the school I work in has only 175 or so students as opposed to the bigger district this training took place in. Anyways, thanks for the well wishes, homie.

@IusedToSkateMore Well get to feeling better and come on back to the Northbeast. Mexican brick lmao ohhh the stories. Keep us updated how ya making it homey

This old timer I know in Brockton was telling me that people still buy/sell that brick. I can't imagine what it costs with decent weed going so cheap. anyway, good lookin out bro. peace to the beast

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #699 on: August 19, 2021, 07:17:13 AM »
Thanks for the update on your health. It's good to hear your current and future situation isn't completely dire. Keep on taking good care and maintaining your PMA.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #700 on: August 19, 2021, 10:50:50 AM »
Thanks for the update on your health. It's good to hear your current and future situation isn't completely dire. Keep on taking good care and maintaining your PMA.

thanks, my man. it's what it is.

7 days after known exposure:

-got test results back- mine read negative- my lady's read positive. We can't figure it out, because we've both got the same thing going on. going to chalk it up that I've got the virus and didn't stick the testing stick up my nose far enough (the testing site has you do it yourself)

-felt real noice for the first hour or so out of bed. Went and chopped down 6 dead sunflowers that had stalks with a diameter bigger than my foot due to having been been fed ganja nutrients at start. Came in and had a phone call and ate food. I'm fucking exhausted and feel like I've got a low-key flu. hopefully ibuprofen kicks in soon so my low back isn't sore and tingly anymore.

-my chest still feels pretty constricted after exertion and phone call. elevated heart rate.

-very leaky sinuses. Ive got ear issues from what I believe was a bout with the rona back in late 19, early 20, and the tinnitus is screaming. pressure in the dome.

-whats most noticeable is how it comes in waves. It's like an hour of feeling moderately ok then 2 hours of not wanting to move or do anything.

I want to get high to make time go by but I don't think it's going to feel all that good. So I've got to find other stuff to do on the internet. SLAP and email is pretty much all I do. suggestions are wanted. thanks

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #701 on: August 19, 2021, 11:14:22 AM »
man, hope you recover fast. def sounds like you got it. all the people i know that had milder cases had this thing where it came in waves. they pretty much all said they felt better every few days and then it ramped up again and that kept going for 3-6 weeks for most of them.

9 days until my post-vaccination period is done and i'm officially vaxxed.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #702 on: August 19, 2021, 11:16:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

-got test results back- mine read negative- my lady's read positive. We can't figure it out, because we've both got the same thing going on. going to chalk it up that I've got the virus and didn't stick the testing stick up my nose far enough (the testing site has you do it yourself)

-felt real noice for the first hour or so out of bed. Went and chopped down 6 dead sunflowers that had stalks with a diameter bigger than my foot due to having been been fed ganja nutrients at start. Came in and had a phone call and ate food. I'm fucking exhausted and feel like I've got a low-key flu. hopefully ibuprofen kicks in soon so my low back isn't sore and tingly anymore.

-my chest still feels pretty constricted after exertion and phone call. elevated heart rate.

-very leaky sinuses. Ive got ear issues from what I believe was a bout with the rona back in late 19, early 20, and the tinnitus is screaming. pressure in the dome.

-whats most noticeable is how it comes in waves. It's like an hour of feeling moderately ok then 2 hours of not wanting to move or do anything.

I want to get high to make time go by but I don't think it's going to feel all that good. So I've got to find other stuff to do on the internet. SLAP and email is pretty much all I do. suggestions are wanted. thanks
Hope you start feeling better. You should probably get tested again, could be a false negative if that’s possible.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1596
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #703 on: August 19, 2021, 11:17:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd get retested, that could be a false negative
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #704 on: August 19, 2021, 11:23:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'd get retested, that could be a false negative

We're just going to play it safe and assume I've got it. let work and people I've been in close contact with know whats up. it's not really feasible for me to drive an hour each way for testing at this point.

man, hope you recover fast. def sounds like you got it. all the people i know that had milder cases had this thing where it came in waves. they pretty much all said they felt better every few days and then it ramped up again and that kept going for 3-6 weeks for most of them.

9 days until my post-vaccination period is done and i'm officially vaxxed.

ya man, it's more like waves of every few hours on this guy, but we shall see what happens as it goes along.

this just feels like some gnarly stuff has entered my body and there's an immune system battle going on. hopefully this means I won't catch it yet again during the winter!

dofrenzy

« Reply #705 on: August 19, 2021, 03:37:33 PM »
@iusedtoskatemore. You are in my thoughts brother. 

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #706 on: August 21, 2021, 02:06:06 PM »
pfizer gang
big texas cummer

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #707 on: August 21, 2021, 02:38:39 PM »
Got exposed to someone with a breakthrough infection last week, I tested negative but my wife testing positive - she was down for the count for a few days, super bad fever, sinuses blocked, the whole deal. She’s doing better now but lost taste and smell about 3 days in and it hasn’t come back. Can’t imagine what it would have looked like unvaccinated. 

Fortunately we’ve been able to isolate separately and I’ve continued to test negative. I will say there was two days where I felt spacey, headachey, and a little feverish, so maybe that was my body dealing with it without becoming a full infection. She’s Pfizer and I’m Moderna for what it’s worth, but the original person with the breakthrough was also Moderna.

Rest up iusedtoskatemore, rooting for you - hopefully you’re feeling back to normal in a week or so.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #708 on: August 22, 2021, 01:39:49 PM »
Trying to convince my 60 year old diabetic cancer doctor mother to get the booster next month is going to be a battle. She is convinced the mRNA vaccine makes infections worse. Got her first shots in January so I thought I was home free.

Sometimes I wish I had like, NPR-listening parents
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #709 on: August 22, 2021, 02:29:54 PM »
still pretty wiped out and lethargic but am on the up and up for now. definitely noticed a reduction in taste and I can't smell anything as of this morning. Went out to my van and was like "damn, it doesn't smell weird anymore... wow" and realized I can't smell anything else either. It's really strange because I've got a super sensitive schnoz. Hopefully it's brief.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #710 on: August 22, 2021, 09:23:18 PM »
Trying to convince my 60 year old diabetic cancer doctor mother to get the booster next month is going to be a battle. She is convinced the mRNA vaccine makes infections worse. Got her first shots in January so I thought I was home free.

Sometimes I wish I had like, NPR-listening parents

You and me both. At least your mom took the vaccine initially. My whole ass family is unvaccinated and it stresses me out to no end. My dad had covid last winter and is convinced he’s invincible now even though he’s a diabetic 56 year old, and he lives with my grandmother who is currently undergoing chemo. It’s morbid to say but I’m basically mentally preparing for the absolute worst case scenario here.

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #711 on: August 23, 2021, 02:44:52 AM »
Took my Janssen shot on friday! Saturday I was a complete mess... I spent the majority of my day sleeping just so I wouldn't feel like shit. I had a strong headache and my whole body hurted. Sunday was better but still feeling some pains.

It is monday now and I feel fine and although it wasn't on my plans to get vaccinated this early I'm still feeling good to get that done.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #712 on: August 23, 2021, 06:24:32 AM »
Got second pfizer Saturday. Hurt way less and less side effects. Almost fell asleep at the wheel yesterday, otherwise fine.

I have a suggestion: those to refuse a shot can be sent to Afghanistan so they can live free from government oppression.

Fhk

« Reply #713 on: August 23, 2021, 07:20:39 AM »
Got second pfizer Saturday. Hurt way less and less side effects. Almost fell asleep at the wheel yesterday, otherwise fine.

I have a suggestion: those to refuse a shot can be sent to Afghanistan so they can live free from government oppression.
I have a suggestion..when you get your boosters have someone drive you.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #714 on: August 23, 2021, 08:44:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I have a suggestion..when you get your boosters have someone drive you.

Sort of came half way into the drive, waifu was in the passenger seat, talking to me, so it was not as bad as I described it.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #715 on: August 23, 2021, 09:22:47 AM »
i'm teaching two literature classes (both are "World Masterpieces 1: The Persistence of Myth") at a small(er), private university this semester, that has been super conscientious since COVID started changing things, and it has even lowered the cap on class size to only 15 students this semester, to accommodate all of us being on campus again--and without lowering what us adjuncts make for a 3-credit class.

i teach the first of these classes in about 5 hours, this afternoon, and it is my first in-person, on-campus class since all of this started, and as nervous as i am, i am so excited to be in a classroom with my students again and so much more confident after getting my first shot two weeks ago. hopefully i won't have too hard of a go on the second shot, but luckily, i get it the day before Labor Day, so i will have a day to ass out if necessary.

again, this thread has been a big help, good people, and i hope everyone is well...

Dirty_Dan90

• Rep: -16
« Reply #716 on: August 23, 2021, 10:40:46 AM »
Got the first shot of Moderna in late April and i remember feeling worried after getting it because i just didnt know how my body would react but I ended up going to work the same day and having a good skate sesh later in the afternoon. Now the second shot of Moderna wasnt too bad right after but the next morning i felt like i got hit by a car. After taking some Tylenol and moving around some the aches went away. Since getting the vaccine i really haven't even worried much about the virus or variants or wearing a mask.

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #717 on: August 23, 2021, 10:59:31 AM »
Got the first shot of Moderna in late April and i remember feeling worried after getting it because i just didnt know how my body would react but I ended up going to work the same day and having a good skate sesh later in the afternoon. Now the second shot of Moderna wasnt too bad right after but the next morning i felt like i got hit by a car. After taking some Tylenol and moving around some the aches went away. Since getting the vaccine i really haven't even worried much about the virus or variants or wearing a mask.

Pfizer.  Jan 2021.  Zero side affects.   Please get vaccinated folks.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #718 on: August 23, 2021, 08:40:53 PM »
Had an appointment this afternoon for 4.45 that I made on this government website but they called me and said their computers broken and they actually go home at 4.30
Pisses me off but I got appointment for Thursday at 3 now so should be able to get at least one phyzer in me before Brisbane goes to shit

No bullshit I give it two weeks tops, nsw has shit the bed for all of us up here and we got cases like, just on the other side of the border now

We all scrambling to get phyzer shots, it’s good we did the old and sickly first but now there’s a shitload of blokes 30s-40s stressing about if we got time for two shots
listen to cosmic psychos

LUGR

• Rep: 47
« Reply #719 on: August 23, 2021, 09:33:20 PM »
Had an appointment this afternoon for 4.45 that I made on this government website but they called me and said their computers broken and they actually go home at 4.30
Pisses me off but I got appointment for Thursday at 3 now so should be able to get at least one phyzer in me before Brisbane goes to shit

No bullshit I give it two weeks tops, nsw has shit the bed for all of us up here and we got cases like, just on the other side of the border now

We all scrambling to get phyzer shots, it’s good we did the old and sickly first but now there’s a shitload of blokes 30s-40s stressing about if we got time for two shots
You probably don’t have enough time for both shots before it hits hard again. But, you eat crab sandwiches with filthy fingers and pour acid in your eye…you will probably be somewhat okay.