Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 45037 times)

SHAQUEEFA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1050 on: January 16, 2023, 06:00:36 AM »
Dude I bet that actor was so psyched to take the chair shot from Double J.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #1051 on: January 17, 2023, 01:28:20 PM »
Positive reviews of Willie Macks elevation match against Brian Cage make me think he’ll be signed soon

Then I hope he, Keith Lee and Hobbs form a faction because they look like Pokémon evolutions of each other

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -223
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1052 on: January 17, 2023, 03:29:44 PM »
I hope they open the Forbidden Door for Royal Rumble surprises.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1053 on: January 17, 2023, 05:02:05 PM »
I hope they open the Forbidden Door for Royal Rumble surprises.

I don’t think they will especially with WWE in the state they are in.   Who could they possibly bring in from New Japan that would get the WWE audience to pop?   The big surprises will be Edge, Riddle, and Cody returning.  Can’t see a Cena or a Duane doing it.   The Logan idiot might, Bad Bunny probably won’t. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1054 on: January 17, 2023, 06:00:10 PM »
RIP Jay brisco

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1055 on: January 17, 2023, 07:11:36 PM »
RIP Jay brisco

He always cut a good promo. RIP

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 821
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #1056 on: January 17, 2023, 09:04:00 PM »
RIP Jay brisco
So damn sad. So young. Saw him wrestle live in 2015, he and his brother put on a hell of a show
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #1057 on: January 18, 2023, 12:59:49 AM »
Dude I bet that actor was so psyched to take the chair shot from Double J.

Paul William Hausen!

I love how the AEW audience wants to genuinely hate Jarrett so bad but hes such a good heel that you just can't. I'm watching late 80s Memphis which was Jarrett's first few years in the business and it's cool because he's the blandest, most white meat baby face imaginable, complete with that gorgeous drop kick that he still sometimes pulls off. He's done damn near everything there is to do in the wrestling world but I think most of these fans just know him from his weewoo weewoo TNA years so I guess I can forgive it.

I've always kind of wondered where he gets those flimsy ass guitars. Maybe there's a trick to gimmicking them but a legit guitar over the head will fuck you up (just ask Jake) and wouldn't blow out that way. He has to get them custom made or have found a factory in Mexico that pumps out ultra cheap guitars or something.

I forgot to mention that they also had Eddie and Ortiz vs Malakai and Brody King on. Eddie has always looked like shit but the last year or two he's also been getting gradually worse in the ring. I know he wasn't the most athletic guy to begin with but I think they need to pull the trigger on him now if they're gonna do it because I feel like he's slowing down fast.

Brody King is really good and needs a bigger singles push, but it's hard to fit him in to such a crowded picture so I'm not really sure what you do with him. They already did the Darby thing so maybe a beef battle against Keith Lee or Wardlow? Heel vs heel with Hobbs? Whatever they do, they need to get him in a feature program at some point this year because hes got a look and really uses his size well.

Positive reviews of Willie Macks elevation match against Brian Cage make me think he’ll be signed soon

Then I hope he, Keith Lee and Hobbs form a faction because they look like Pokémon evolutions of each other

My theory is they're all various love children of JYD from his cross country travels. The real life Dudley boys.

In all seriousness Willie Mack can go though, I haven't seen the elevation match but I've seen him on the indy and in other companies and he definitely gets it, or at least the modern version of "it". He's not a main eventer by any stretch, but as a lower midcard workrate guy he's better than a lot of the people they've given ample TV time to.

Found out about Jay in the middle of writing this. Same age as me. I'm reading it was a firey car crash and there were multiple fatalities as well as some young victims who were injured but survived so at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been I guess.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 821
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #1058 on: January 18, 2023, 10:44:30 AM »
Found out about Jay in the middle of writing this. Same age as me. I'm reading it was a firey car crash and there were multiple fatalities as well as some young victims who were injured but survived so at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been I guess.
Goddamn...
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1059 on: January 18, 2023, 05:41:30 PM »
Dante Martin is definitely Johnny Drama’s son

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1060 on: January 18, 2023, 07:37:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Goddamn...

https://people.com/sports/jay-briscoes-2-daughters-also-injured-in-wrong-way-crash/

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1061 on: January 18, 2023, 09:47:02 PM »
They did a last minute ROH tribute show after dynamite that they flew people in for and will be released free on everything

A little funny TV title and All Atlantic are being defended like their identities swapped.   Cool to see Kushiro kill it.   Got a wee bit of a raw deal going to NXT right when the brand was dying bc the top guys weren’t getting called up and Triple HHH didn’t really know how to book someone longer than 6 months

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #1062 on: January 19, 2023, 08:33:17 AM »
Wow Top Flight go over on The Young Bucks. Darius is sick but I can't get over Dante Martin's face. He just looks so damn corny. Match was decent if you like spotfest wrestling.

Danhausen running around with the guitar was pretty funny.

Saraya and Toni Storm are heels?

Darby and Kushida was a good match.

I wish Jake Hager just wouldn't wrestle in matches. He is funny and I can't believe he got a purple bucket hat over. It just kills it for me to know that he actually has MMA wins but is relegated to stooge work and jobbing.

Also not psyched on Brian Cage being fed to danielson. That dude deserves better. He seems like a guy Vince would have a boner for. I actually like his wrestling and he can skate as well.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1063 on: January 19, 2023, 09:57:07 AM »
Wow Top Flight go over on The Young Bucks. Darius is sick but I can't get over Dante Martin's face. He just looks so damn corny. Match was decent if you like spotfest wrestling.

Danhausen running around with the guitar was pretty funny.

Saraya and Toni Storm are heels?

Darby and Kushida was a good match.

I wish Jake Hager just wouldn't wrestle in matches. He is funny and I can't believe he got a purple bucket hat over. It just kills it for me to know that he actually has MMA wins but is relegated to stooge work and jobbing.

Also not psyched on Brian Cage being fed to danielson. That dude deserves better. He seems like a guy Vince would have a boner for. I actually like his wrestling and he can skate as well.

Brian Cage is an ROH wrestler, so it wouldn’t make much sense for him to go over, but I bet he takes a chunk out of DB storyline wise

-  also worth noting, it looks like they ran Cage/Willie Mack back and they’re going again Friday on Rampage

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #1064 on: January 19, 2023, 11:33:01 AM »
I get that, but I just dislike how Tony uses his big men. Wardlow, Morrison, Luchasaurus, Lance Archer, all these dudes are basically dead now because Tony had them lose to cruiserweights (besides Wardlow who they just let completely flatline in a tag team with Somoa Joe and the only reason they were put together was so Joe could turn on him and take the belt and completely bury him?) And then Joe gets beat by Darby? WTF. I hope Hobbs can come out of something looking good.

My thing is, if you want to do the Young Bucks and Omega type of wrestling show and elevate dudes that weigh 160 lbs. thats fine, just straight up don't hire anyone over 250 lbs. Morrison needed a shot at a comeback after WWE and the mental health crisis that followed, and he basically came here to beat up people when it doesn't count and job when it does. He looked good to, he should've been given the Wardlow style push of squash matches for months while creative can catch up to him.

Or keep all these dudes separate. Let your actual heavyweights go for the heavyweight title. Have a belt called the Meltzer 5star belt for all the flipper types.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1065 on: January 19, 2023, 11:41:34 AM »
I don’t disagree, I just personally find it challenging to book monster types.   They can’t ALL destroy everybody.   Making a Hoss belt isn’t a bad idea.   

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1066 on: January 19, 2023, 05:42:01 PM »
I get that, but I just dislike how Tony uses his big men. Wardlow, Morrison, Luchasaurus, Lance Archer, all these dudes are basically dead now because Tony had them lose to cruiserweights (besides Wardlow who they just let completely flatline in a tag team with Somoa Joe and the only reason they were put together was so Joe could turn on him and take the belt and completely bury him?) And then Joe gets beat by Darby? WTF. I hope Hobbs can come out of something looking good.

My thing is, if you want to do the Young Bucks and Omega type of wrestling show and elevate dudes that weigh 160 lbs. thats fine, just straight up don't hire anyone over 250 lbs. Morrison needed a shot at a comeback after WWE and the mental health crisis that followed, and he basically came here to beat up people when it doesn't count and job when it does. He looked good to, he should've been given the Wardlow style push of squash matches for months while creative can catch up to him.

Or keep all these dudes separate. Let your actual heavyweights go for the heavyweight title. Have a belt called the Meltzer 5star belt for all the flipper types.

Tony must have some kind of complex against big sweaty men stemming from being bullied when he was younger. His booking is not believable at all.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1067 on: January 19, 2023, 11:25:57 PM »

100% with you as usual. You know us kids raised by Vince are always going to have a boner for the big man, but it's something I'm constantly wishing for more of. Every time I see a dude like Bear Boulder on elevation I can't help but think "Lawler would have made a million dollars with this guy in Memphis and they have no clue what to do with him". It seems like Tony thinks big guys exist solely to get little dudes like Darby and Hungle Boy over and all his booking of them eventually just ends that way. I'd rather see Brody King come out and snap darby's fuckin neck and then instantly dump him and move on to bigger things than start a feud you know he's going to lose in.

I don't have a problem with that being the story sometimes, but it shouldn't be the standard. All the great bookers understood the value of putting your belt on a big man and it's something I hope TK figures out. HBK was awesome, but a roster full of HBKs is pretty lame.

Actually, building a monster and having them crush MJF would be a good way to move the belt off him when that time comes.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #1068 on: January 20, 2023, 10:21:48 AM »
A David vs. Goliath matchup loses its meaning if David wins every single time.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1069 on: January 22, 2023, 04:52:52 AM »
So rumor is that Hogan has become a scientologist. Apparently he was even spotted taking in a football game with Tom Cruise last week. Hulk seems like the kind of fragile ego that could be easily manipulated and likely still has a wad of money from Gawker, so it's certainly "on brand" for them.

How long til we get Hogan on the berrics yelling "do a kickflip brother!"?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1070 on: January 24, 2023, 06:21:37 AM »
The Bloodline was one of 3 truly entertaining things about last night’s Raw. I especially loved Paul Heyman taking a minute to acknowledge Philly and ECW once the chants started.

Also liked his Brock Purdy quip.

I did appreciate the DX segment where they stopped short of announcing Billy Gunn.

The Undertaker passing the torch to Bray segment was great. Undertaker’s issues with the Harley were even better. 😂

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #1071 on: January 24, 2023, 07:30:18 AM »
Hogan was there. Did he rib Undertaker and mess with the motorcycle so people would stop making fun of him from the motorcycle botch from his past?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1072 on: January 24, 2023, 07:54:09 AM »
Hogan was there. Did he rib Undertaker and mess with the motorcycle so people would stop making fun of him from the motorcycle botch from his past?

He very well may have, but Hogan doesn’t strike me as being witty enough to rib somebody.

Someone definitely messed with Hogan’s mic.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #1073 on: January 24, 2023, 10:26:58 AM »
The DX segment was pretty funny too. Kurt Angle "I just always wanted to be in DX!"

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1074 on: January 24, 2023, 10:42:48 AM »
Mark Briscoe vs Jay Lethal on Dynamite tomorrow. 😁😁😁

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1075 on: January 24, 2023, 10:43:54 AM »
Imperium (Fabian Aichner and Marcel Barthes) might be WWE’s most underrated tag team.

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #1076 on: January 24, 2023, 11:47:02 AM »
Late to the action figure discussion but here are some I got from my old job for $10. If I’m not mistaken the Stephanie one is “banned” due to it not having panties painted on.

https://ibb.co/R7cYzxR
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1078 on: January 24, 2023, 03:08:05 PM »

I didn't watch so I have to ask... Which motorcycle botch? He had a couple haha. My favorite one wasn't actually his fault though, it's the one from the NWO days where Bischoff is gifting him a chopper with his face airbrushed on it. The roadie (no, not Brian Armstrong) comes out riding a plain chopper and parks it then looks down and loudly goes "shit! Wrong one!" before sprinting to the back to get the right bike while they awkwardly try to kill time on the mic. It's the kind of fuck up that could only happen on live WCW.

Looking forward to dynamite. I'm sure it's gonna be emotional but I fully expect Mark and Lethal to tear the house down. Lethal is kinda the embodiment of ROH for me, so with all their history and him being the quintessential pro's pro he's the right guy to put him over. I kinda don't want any Jarrett shenanigans after, but at the same time the heat would be nuclear and I kind of feel like that's what Jay would genuinely want because he loved the business so much. I guess they could tease it and then have someone run in and make the save or something too, that might work.

Darby vs Buddy is one of those "OK this might be awesome" matches like the old wcw cruiserweights too. I could see that being an unexpectedly hot match and I have to imagine it's going to be worked at breakneck speed.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1079 on: January 24, 2023, 03:14:26 PM »
These are hilarious.

https://wrestlingfiguredatabase.com/collections/brothers-gaddor-roh-honor-buddies

Holy shit, I want that Dalton Castle one so bad. Im actually leaning on my OG million dollar man right now haha.

That site is amazing, I know where part of my tax return is going. The bootlegs and knockoffs section is really fun for some reason.