Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 45034 times)

blurst_of_times

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 821
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1350 on: April 07, 2023, 08:12:55 AM »
Rewatched NXT Stand & Deliver.

I suggest watching the Match for the North American title. No dull moments & just pure talent. JD McDonagh grew on me from that match alone (moon daily from the ropes was just so quick)  & Dragon Lee in that kind of action with Axiom was great. Dragunov continues to be a mad man & I need more.

Then this week, Bron is a heel after the Hayes win….
That match was fantastic
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #1351 on: April 07, 2023, 05:10:35 PM »
Skye Blue (not using yalls nickname hah) is officially All Elite

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1352 on: April 12, 2023, 06:49:32 PM »
The segment with Jon Moxley & his Club was seriously some of the worse wrestling I’ve seen in a long time. Claudio slamming Cuttlers head off of the apron was visibly fake & the blood is the definition of overcompensation. Then Kenny missing Moxley & Kansas blasting while the screwdriver is sticking out from the turnbuckle….. TERRIBLE. Soon we will see the likes of Vampiro, the Demon & someone wrestling to save their mom who is suspended from a forklift (some Buff Bagwell WCW nonsense)

Brett Hart is right…
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 07:05:01 AM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1353 on: April 13, 2023, 04:59:34 AM »
 Let me add watching Big Bill & Ethan Page bending over & waiting for Jeff Hardy’s chair shot.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #1354 on: April 14, 2023, 10:50:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Wembley can hold almost 100k people which is like 1/8th of the viewers dynamite is getting some weeks
[close]
you do know that the viewing figures you're referring to are from one country right? on a continent that this event is not being held in

Yeah it's also the largest audience they draw to any single anything, which was the point I'm making. If you have the numbers for their last UK megashow I'll gladly take them into consideration.

Their TV numbers over there could be deceptive because it's the inverse of the situation here - AEW airs on one of their (shittiest) free channels - actually I shouldn't say free as technically it's paid for by the TV license - and WWE is behind  a paywall. No one really knows what the AEW UK audience is right now because half of them could be pensioners who fell asleep with it on one of their 10 channels they have.. or they could be people actually seeking it out.

Either way, on a good week they're pulling 200k viewers on free UK TV. Lately it's closer to 150. Maybe I'm wrong and over half of them show up and fork over a hundred £ to see it live, but if Vince could only get 80 in there while papering the shit out of it and having a huge build behind DBS then I'm not going to hold my breath on AEW filling the place.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1355 on: April 14, 2023, 11:11:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wembley can hold almost 100k people which is like 1/8th of the viewers dynamite is getting some weeks
[close]
you do know that the viewing figures you're referring to are from one country right? on a continent that this event is not being held in
[close]

Yeah it's also the largest audience they draw to any single anything, which was the point I'm making. If you have the numbers for their last UK megashow I'll gladly take them into consideration.

Their TV numbers over there could be deceptive because it's the inverse of the situation here - AEW airs on one of their (shittiest) free channels - actually I shouldn't say free as technically it's paid for by the TV license - and WWE is behind  a paywall. No one really knows what the AEW UK audience is right now because half of them could be pensioners who fell asleep with it on one of their 10 channels they have.. or they could be people actually seeking it out.

Either way, on a good week they're pulling 200k viewers on free UK TV. Lately it's closer to 150. Maybe I'm wrong and over half of them show up and fork over a hundred £ to see it live, but if Vince could only get 80 in there while papering the shit out of it and having a huge build behind DBS then I'm not going to hold my breath on AEW filling the place.

50k reservations for tickets apparently

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1356 on: April 15, 2023, 01:50:55 AM »
The segment with Jon Moxley & his Club was seriously some of the worse wrestling I’ve seen in a long time. Claudio slamming Cuttlers head off of the apron was visibly fake & the blood is the definition of overcompensation. Then Kenny missing Moxley & Kansas blasting while the screwdriver is sticking out from the turnbuckle….. TERRIBLE. Soon we will see the likes of Vampiro, the Demon & someone wrestling to save their mom who is suspended from a forklift (some Buff Bagwell WCW nonsense)

Brett Hart is right…

Yeah I'm super over Moxley. I heard he said something about changing the channel in his promo but I was two steps ahead and hit fast forward as soon as wild thing came on.

Bcc only ever sort of worked when Regal was there and even then it (like so many AEW stories) lost direction pretty quick. It makes zero sense now since none of them are actual shooters. Moxley seems to be on a mission to be this generations Abdullah, except he apparently doesn't understand that no one actually likes watching Abdullah matches. It's pretty annoying too because the guy can fucking wrestle! I watched some of his NJPW run the other night and he was money as a gaijin hoss in bike shorts. Listen, my favorite promotion of all time is ECW and I used to sell bootleg VHS copies of stranglemania at school. I really don't have any issue with blood or violence as long as it's done well. When you're blading off suplexes just so you can bleed that's not doing it well.

Really not happy to see Jeff Hardy back. Can't feel good about watching him kill himself again.

Rumor is Punks coming back because God knows that turned out so well before. I was pretty underwhelmed at everything he did after the MJF dog collar match and I'm not really clamoring to see him again. If I have to pick between him and the elite I'm taking Omega every day of the week. If he does come back I fully expect Jericho to get his fangs into him as soon as he shows up. Gotta stay relevant somehow.

MJF vs Darby 2 could be money but I feel like we won't get it. I know they're teasing this 4 pillars match but let's be honest none of those guys are beating MJF and I don't really care to see MJF in a paint by numbers 4 man spot fest. Darby is a spot monkey, but he's got great baby face fire and his fundamentals are actually pretty good. Not my favorite promo but hes good enough. Their first match was a really good example of modern wrestling done right and I would be way more into those two revisiting that than the 4 pillars stuff.

Still not sure if I want to go to dynamite on Wednesday. I probably will. Hobbs vs wardlow sounds fun and I do want to see Hayter live but I haven't heard any other matches announced. Tickets have come down about $20 in the past week but went back up a little today so I'm not sure if I missed my window, but last time they held back a bunch of good seats til the last day so I might just wait a few more days and see.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1357 on: April 15, 2023, 01:54:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Yeah and the video game is finished and they're just waiting for a release date right?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -223
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1358 on: April 15, 2023, 05:18:38 AM »
Glad Nakamura’s back and I hope they don’t mess his push up.

Shame they’ll probably elevate him at Killer Kross’ expense to start.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1359 on: April 15, 2023, 07:50:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah and the video game is finished and they're just waiting for a release date right?

“Registrations” - I keep fucking that up.  I dunno, PWInsider reported it from multiple sources.   

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1360 on: April 16, 2023, 11:32:35 AM »
Glad Nakamura’s back and I hope they don’t mess his push up.

Shame they’ll probably elevate him at Killer Kross’ expense to start.

Still amazed they found a way to fuck this up. Then again, Cody might end up the same way.

Watched Dark for the first time in a few weeks this morning.

Pillman Jr seems to have dialed back the Omega cosplay but now he's doing a really awkward Jeff Jarrett routine. He still hesitates constantly, is out of position, and just generally looks kinda brain dead and like he'd be a nightmare to work with but sometimes all you need is a name. Matt Taven has one of the most punchable faces in wrestling.

They had a jobber on named Daisy K (might want to rethink that one) who looked like he was plucked straight out of the 90s. Dude looked like the illegitimate son of Van Hammer and Shane Douglas. Taz thought the same thing and called him Von Hammer and I almost spit my coffee out.

Holy shit Lance Archer and Jake the Snake promo! And it was good! Please can we finally get this dude some matches? That TDM with Hangman is one of my favorite matches AEW has ever done. Can't believe I'm saying this about tramp stamp lance hoyt but he might actually be the best worker of all their big guys.

My girl Willow was in the main. They had her against Diamante so she actually got to sell and man she's great at it. That woman is just a pleasure to watch work. Crowd got behind her and when she fired up and pulled down the straps I marked out a little. Her powerbombs look so good too... she's way safer (unless it's a table spot loooool) but the way she just muscles people up effortlessly reminds me of Vader in his prime. Any chance we can slap a jockstrap on this girls face and teach her how to do a terrifyingly sloppy moonsault?

Once Statlander is back they should put them together as like a modern twin towers type team and have them destroy everyone for a month or two, then do a breakup angle. I could see Stat working as a cold, emotionless heel...Maybe put her with a mouthpiece manager and do kinda like the Kane/Paul Bearer thing. She isn't a shitty promo or anything, I'm just not sure her style of promo works as well as that would.

I guess you could play it safe and just do face vs face for the right to wrestle Jade for her belt or something too. Those mutual respect matches can be really great when they're done right.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1361 on: April 17, 2023, 01:31:10 PM »
AEW brand split coming - CM Punk first feud is with Jericho

On the WWE front, how do you game out the Brock/Cody match (assuming they plan to have an actual finish not a DQ).   Brock can’t keep having loses (or I guess he can, Fed fans don’t care) and Cody def needs a win back

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1362 on: April 17, 2023, 03:47:09 PM »
I ended up missing the NJPW show yesterday, but it looks like the DC show had a better card.

Orange Cassidy and Lance Archer on the Philly card wasn’t bad though.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1363 on: April 17, 2023, 06:22:32 PM »

Just read this. Maybe AEW will be interesting….

On the WWE front, how do you game out the Brock/Cody match (assuming they plan to have an actual finish not a DQ).   Brock can’t keep having loses (or I guess he can, Fed fans don’t care) and Cody def needs a win back

Cody will get a clean win over Lesnar & now his actual road to the Championship begins.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1364 on: April 17, 2023, 09:55:35 PM »
Expand Quote

Just read this. Maybe AEW will be interesting….

[close]

Cody will get a clean win over Lesnar & now his actual road to the Championship begins.

That’s the weird thing - Walter should get a clean win over him too…but is there ever too many losses

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1365 on: April 18, 2023, 04:38:44 AM »
Dude I fucking actually really like Ludwig Kaiser. His delivery and cadence on the mic so so different than anyone else and their whole gimmick is just great to me. I would have liked to see Alexander Wolf as the 3rd guy or all 4 of them together but Giovanni is just a body with no charisma.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1366 on: April 18, 2023, 05:34:34 AM »
Dude I fucking actually really like Ludwig Kaiser. His delivery and cadence on the mic so so different than anyone else and their whole gimmick is just great to me. I would have liked to see Alexander Wolf as the 3rd guy or all 4 of them together but Giovanni is just a body with no charisma.

Kaiser and Giovanni have great sync as a tag team. They remind me of Doug Furnas and Phil Lafon.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1367 on: April 18, 2023, 07:13:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Kaiser and Giovanni have great sync as a tag team. They remind me of Doug Furnas and Phil Lafon.

Imperium rules. Huge fan & want them to capture gold & make sure the mat remains sacred.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1368 on: April 18, 2023, 10:56:15 AM »

Pity they never put Tim thatcher back with them when they were all in in NXT

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1369 on: April 19, 2023, 04:30:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I wasn't even trying to defend AEW's decision really, I'm not massively confident on how the ticket sales will go. Was just pointing out that saying the capacity is "an 8th of the viewing figures" is some super Americentrism shit.

Just to your points though the cheapest seats are £30 apparently. Also ITV isn't funded by the licence fee.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1370 on: April 19, 2023, 07:55:48 PM »
Wardlow now managed by Arn, wins belt back, faces Luchasaurus next, which could be good

Takeshita aligned with the Elite

Komander is All Elite

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1371 on: April 20, 2023, 05:26:46 AM »
Dynamite was decent; Surprisingly.

JAS & Adam Cole segment was pretty dreadful. An obvious attempt to to follow on the whole Judgement Day/Edge feud except done poorly. Britt Baker DMD not even moving while getting hit with a kendo sticks….

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1372 on: April 22, 2023, 07:58:59 AM »
Dragunov may head to Smackdown which would rule. Enter a feud with Gunther, could also see him doing some good work with Balor.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1373 on: April 23, 2023, 04:00:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quote from: Sativa Lung link=topic=117985.msg399417
6#msg3994176 date=1680864887
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I wasn't even trying to defend AEW's decision really, I'm not massively confident on how the ticket sales will go. Was just pointing out that saying the capacity is "an 8th of the viewing figures" is some super Americentrism shit.

Just to your points though the cheapest seats are £30 apparently. Also ITV isn't funded by the licence fee.

Well first off I'd say it's not only forgiveable, but impossible not to be "americentric" about an American company that's never run a show outside of north America, no? But my post really has nothing to do with the location and everything to do with the numbers. You could swap literally any location into my post and nothing really changes. If Tony announced a show for Heinz field (my citys 65k seat NFL stadium) I would have the exact same reservations for the exact same reasons, actually probably moreso considering last week they couldn't sell out our college basketball Arena despite floor tickets going for under a hundred bucks. Again, I could be wrong (and I genuinely hope I am) and maybe there's a huge untapped audience that no one except the snowman knows about, but I'm just going off the data that we have since theres nothing else to go off of.

Didn't say itv was funded by the TV license, I said it wasn't free because of it...same as every other channel. Just pointing out that it isn't actually a truly free OTA scheme.

I think you're tilting at a windmill here or reading what you want me to be saying rather than what I'm actually talking about. The nationalities are irrelevant to the point I was making.

Dynamite was decent; Surprisingly.

JAS & Adam Cole segment was pretty dreadful. An obvious attempt to to follow on the whole Judgement Day/Edge feud except done poorly. Britt Baker DMD not even moving while getting hit with a kendo sticks….

Pittsburgh crowd was hot and the show was better than it has been lately. I got scammed trying to get a floor ticket day of but I think I saw Penta without his mask on earlier in the day when I was skating on my break (I work right by the arena) so it's all good.

I don't care about bcc or the elite but Takeshita got a nice pop. I can definitely see the Bucks becoming like Jericho and just latching on to whatever hot young talent they can get their fangs into as they get older.

Adam Cole is still doing his fake stammer before every other sentence thing. Eh-eh-It's so fucking annoying once you notice it A-a-and there's no good reason for it. Now if he starts playing along and turns it into a full goldust with tourettes style caricature of himself.... I could definitely get down with that haha. I know him and his buddies really really want people to think he's a main eventer but I just don't see it. Theres at least a dozen guys on the roster who wrestle the same style as him but do it better, including all the guys he's been positioned directly around.

I don't know when Britt started sucking so bad but yeah she looked awful, and pairing her with the equally shit Ruby didn't help. Not even Hayter and Toni were as good as they usually are in that match. I swear Britt wasn't always that bad.

Komander is growing on me but I kinda feel like he's gonna Hayabusa himself one of these days.

Main was meh... I guess we're getting Darby vs MJF since I don't think Tony is clueless enough to try heel vs heel for a ppv or try to turn Sammy face. Or at least I hope he isn't.

Been watching more AWA stuff lately. First I was doing early 80s when it was good, but now I'm in the mid-late 80s and there's some crappy wrestling gold. If anyone's interested I'll dig up some clips.. . There's some jobbers I had never heard of like Rocky Mountain Thunder who look like something straight from a comedy sketch and shit like that.. . Verne had some truly terrible ideas haha. It's not quite Memphis level bad but it's not that far off either.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 01:57:41 AM by Sativa Lung »

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1374 on: April 26, 2023, 05:48:17 AM »
Leaked floorplan for All in from Ticketmaster. Looks like they're going for a minimal stage size and 90-100k capacity. Absolute nutters

During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1375 on: April 26, 2023, 06:38:28 AM »
Leaked floorplan for All in from Ticketmaster. Looks like they're going for a minimal stage size and 90-100k capacity. Absolute nutters

Nigel vs Bryan D is being teased a little

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1376 on: April 26, 2023, 07:02:19 AM »

Guy must’ve smelled like PH levels gone awry and Hedo Turkoglu after a 3/OT playoff thriller.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1377 on: April 26, 2023, 09:36:00 PM »
Roderick was as surprising as WWE writers room pitches were unsurprising

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1378 on: April 27, 2023, 04:27:35 AM »
MJF & Guervara paying homage to Guerrero last night was interesting. I still cannot stand Darby Allin. Looks like there will be a 4 pillars match as there is no way they will mention it then axe it as that will be quite the main event. Looking forward to the Draft tomorrow on Smackdown plus the main event with the USOS. Love those guys. Reigns, who cares. The USOS? They are sick to watch. They rule.

On another wrestling note, my action figure collection of recent figures grows as my Preorder for Gunther will be here tomorrow. Not to mention a trip to Target with my wife & child during a power outage led to me getting there when they just stocked. Grabbed a Becky/Bianca two pack, the USOS (very stoked; last one) & a Stunning Steve Austin which did not come up in their system so I got if for 14.99 as opposed to 35.00.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 04:46:30 AM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1379 on: April 29, 2023, 04:47:32 AM »
Gunther arrived; beautiful figure.

Him & Imperium were drafted to RAW. Cody on RAW, Reigns on Smackdown. Overall, Smackdown last night was great.